PDA

View Full Version : Bear Chews on Kayak in Alaska

GA_Windbreaker
10-01-2015, 10:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=150&v=nU5cMZymSr0

Woman tells black bear "I am going to pepper spray you" sprays towards the bear, and bear proceeds to gnaw on her kayak.

saltysack
10-01-2015, 10:52
Link not wking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tagg
10-01-2015, 10:58
If she had only said, "Bear please stop" one more time, he probably would have walked away.

GA_Windbreaker
10-01-2015, 10:59
Cant edit original post. This should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0

GA_Windbreaker
10-01-2015, 11:03
If she had only said, "Bear please stop" one more time, he probably would have walked away.

Bear should have been able to claim the kayak as his own as consolation for enduring two and a half minutes of her voice.

Pedaling Fool
10-01-2015, 11:13
If she had only said, "Bear please stop" one more time, he probably would have walked away.No, her problem was that she didn't say, "Pretty please, with sugar on top...":D

saltysack
10-01-2015, 11:53
That voice makes me wish I had pepper spray to spary in my ears!!! Most annoying voice I've ever heard! Poor bear!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dochartaigh
10-01-2015, 11:54
I would seriously pay a bear to maul her. She is that annoying.

Berserker
10-01-2015, 12:18
Bear should have been able to claim the kayak as his own as consolation for enduring two and a half minutes of her voice.

That voice makes me wish I had pepper spray to spary in my ears!!! Most annoying voice I've ever heard! Poor bear!!
Yes to all the above...holy crap that was annoying. I hate to say it but I almost found myself cheering for the bear. I do find it funny that the bear seemed to ignore the lady the whole time. Also, what about the pepper spray? The bear is tearing up your kayak how about trying to spray him again...or maybe throw some rocks or something near him to try to scare him off...no she's just gonna keep saying "bear please stop" in a really high pitched annoying voice, which doesn't seem to be working by the way.

illabelle
10-01-2015, 13:16
Yes to all the above...holy crap that was annoying. I hate to say it but I almost found myself cheering for the bear. I do find it funny that the bear seemed to ignore the lady the whole time. Also, what about the pepper spray? The bear is tearing up your kayak how about trying to spray him again...or maybe throw some rocks or something near him to try to scare him off...no she's just gonna keep saying "bear please stop" in a really high pitched annoying voice, which doesn't seem to be working by the way.

Agreed. Seriously, were there no rocks around? At one point, she said, "what am I going to do now?" I took that to mean she was alone, and very much needed the kayak to get where she was going. If that's true, why on earth wouldn't she figure out something effective to do? Whining, whining, whining - ugh!

Fredt4
10-02-2015, 00:01
This video is well worth viewing to hear just how annoying she is. Hope the bear wasn't too traumatized by the experience. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.

AO2134
10-02-2015, 00:30
I would seriously pay a bear to maul her. She is that annoying.

I would seriously pay you to stop breathing. :)

Some of the comments on this video are appalling.

Spacelord
10-02-2015, 09:05
This bear is obviously deaf.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

SWODaddy
10-02-2015, 11:56
Agreed. Seriously, were there no rocks around? At one point, she said, "what am I going to do now?" I took that to mean she was alone, and very much needed the kayak to get where she was going. If that's true, why on earth wouldn't she figure out something effective to do? Whining, whining, whining - ugh!

I bet a shot of pepper spray at his butt would have taken his attention away from the kayak....

SWODaddy
10-02-2015, 11:56

I bet a shot of pepper spray at his butt would have taken his attention away from the kayak....

Old Hiker
10-02-2015, 15:42
No, her problem was that she didn't say, "Pretty please, with sugar on top...":D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deaa-RElbTw

LIhikers
10-02-2015, 18:53
It seems she was more intent on getting the event recorded than resolved.

1azarus
10-02-2015, 19:28
this is exactly why I never hike with a kayak.

mtntopper
10-02-2015, 19:57
Doesn't she know that bears are only allowed to eat kayaks in September!!!!!!!

rocketsocks
10-02-2015, 21:21
...this is what happens folks when you don't hang your kayak properly.

Sarcasm the elf
10-02-2015, 21:36
Clearly she was fond of that kayak...

MuddyWaters
10-02-2015, 21:39

Wooden walkway on ground leading to water
Moored boats in the cove
Used fire ring in ground
Unnatural pile of dirt/rubble

She wasnt exactly in the wilderness
Possibly a back yard.

Sounds like a teenager to me.

Sarcasm the elf
10-02-2015, 22:02
This cameraman seems much calmer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbE53XUtVw0

Sheriff Cougar
10-03-2015, 00:25
Well at least she got it all on tape! Screechy voice should have annoyed to bear enough that he would have left, but apparently not! A BB gun would have gotten him out of there a lot easier than screaming at him.

Feral Bill
10-03-2015, 12:56
I had to stop watching when I hurt myself laughing.

VTX88
10-05-2015, 07:51
Maybe the bear just didn't understand English. Maybe she should have asked politely in different languages. Because clearly bears know what humans are saying, and clearly they know what the word "Please" and "Thank you" mean. Ridiculous.

Traveler
10-05-2015, 08:17
Ridiculous is more the apparent "Goldilocks Zone" when women yell at a bear. The last woman/bear video that was posted here was met with criticism the woman didn't yell enough, this one the woman is accused of yelling too much. Where is that balance point?

To my view, she did about all she could do in that instance. Best advice is to make yourself known, appear larger than you are, and make noise. She did that, using english as a means to that end. Presumably Mandarin or Laplandish may have worked better, someone sharing their experience using these languages can weigh in on that. Throwing rocks or sticks at bears has been known to trigger an attack, given this bear was obviously used to people, it probably was not the best option. There is a distance of only about 50 feet or so between the bear and the camera, thats about 5 to 7 seconds to start and complete its attack should it choose to, with a high likelihood of a maiming or lethal injury.

Beyond clenching a knife in ones teeth and running down the bear Tarzan style, I don't see a lot of options for a 100 pound woman or 200 pound man for that matter versus a 200 pound bear besides trying to discourage it by voice. The voice may have been annoying to some, but to me the fact the bear remained unfazed by human presence is concerning in what appears to be a well groomed lakeside area that likely has children around.

Rocket Jones
10-05-2015, 16:39
Obviously we need to start hanging our kayaks, except for the diehards who insist on sleeping with theirs in the tent.

Fredt4
10-05-2015, 23:06
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/37/3a/c1/373ac1bcbd48a15ae5443298821b12ba.jpg

4Bears
10-10-2015, 19:17
The bear gets to have nightmares all winter long of that encounter, he will likely be very grumpy in the spring. :banana