PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Quiz

TJ aka Teej
12-02-2005, 09:03
From the Baxter Park website:

http://tinyurl.com/79rbv (http://tinyurl.com/79rbv)

T"Perfect Score"J

MorrisseyFan
12-02-2005, 09:26
11/15 right for me!

The Solemates
12-02-2005, 09:40
14/15. missed the one about signing in at the TH.

Two Speed
12-02-2005, 09:43
14/15. Seeing as I'm a Cracker with no hiking experience north of Virginia I'm going to award myself one "Yee Hah!" point and match you, T"Perfect Score"J ;)

All kidding around aside, I think that's a great teaching tool and reflects well on BSP management that they chose to make it available.

rickb
12-02-2005, 10:20
Spoiler Alert. Don't read the rest of this post if you will be taking the quiz.

Answer 7 does not have a correct answer.

Explaining to a child under six that he should never be above tree line in Baxter State Park could leave the youngster with the impression that this is because of safety reasons, and might damage his ego.

While it might be OK to say that children under 6 are not allowed up there because of "the rules", you should add that you heard on Whiteblaze that the legendary Weary took his 5 year old up to the top, many, many, times. Heard the story many times, that is. I don't know how many times they summited together at that age. In relating this story you should make sure he knows that the "authorities" tend to place limits on freedoms rather than looking out for one's welfare. This will prepare him for the Young Republicans quiz in a few years.

Perhaps even more important:

The question regarding the moose gives the wrong answer. If a moose sidles up to you and starts licking your body, it is most decidedly recommended that you not bend over for any reason. To the novice hiker, I simply can not stress this enough. I am not so sure why TJ answered that is the correct thing to do.

weary
12-02-2005, 10:44
Rick raises some good points. I found similar ambiguities. But I ignored them and thus scored 100 percent. I did have to ponder several of the answers rather carefully to make sure I provided Baxter Park answers, rather than necessarily my answers.

Unlike most such quizzes, this one did require a bit of thought. Which makes it valuable.

The Solemates
12-02-2005, 10:46
I did have to ponder several of the answers rather carefully to make sure I provided Baxter Park answers, rather than necessarily my answers.

as did i...but thats all part of taking any test, no matter the subject area. it cannot always be completely objective.

Two Speed
12-02-2005, 10:55
[B] . . .The question regarding the moose gives the wrong answer. If a moose sidles up to you and starts licking your body, it is most decidedly recommended that you not bend over for any reason. To the novice hiker, I simply can not stress this enough. . .OK, I'll bite. Why shouldn't you bend over? I'm not going to ignore the advice, but I'd really like to know the reason.

Kerosene
12-02-2005, 11:15
14/15...I didn't know about the sign-in procedures (#11).

Kerosene
12-02-2005, 11:17
OK, I'll bite. Why shouldn't you bend over? I'm not going to ignore the advice, but I'd really like to know the reason.This is really only a problem if it's a bull moose. Now do you get it? :datz

Two Speed
12-02-2005, 11:18
OH, MY GOD!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lone Wolf
12-02-2005, 11:25
Katahdin is overrated. I much more enjoy Nesuntabunt Mtn. and White Cap. And did I mention Avery Peak?

weary
12-02-2005, 11:40
Katahdin is overrated. I much more enjoy Nesuntabunt Mtn. and White Cap. And did I mention Avery Peak?
Maine mountains aren't very high, but they are about the wildest mountains in the east. Our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is struggling to keep them wild. Nesuntabunt and Avery Peak are partially protected by being located in Maine Public Land Preserves.

Only a narow corridor separates Whitecap from an abutting forest liquidator and likely developer.

Weary www.matlt.org

Lone Wolf
12-02-2005, 11:52
I just submitted a donation to the MATLT. I want the lesser mountains protected.

Mouse
12-02-2005, 11:59
Eeek! If you get too low a score do you have to go back and rehike Katahdin? :eek:

Rockjock
12-02-2005, 13:47
14/15. missed the one about signing in at the TH. And about the moose is it rut that could make a difference...

rickb
12-02-2005, 14:05
I'm not bending over in front of a moose which is licking me to pick up some dropped granola no mater what.

Bull moose or cow.

At least not up in Maine.

Bjorkin
12-02-2005, 14:26
If you re-read the question, they are not asking you to bend over in front of a moose. They were just combining two circumstances in one question as well as the answer. Though I will agree it is a poorly written question.

The key word here being "Later" as in, not at the same time. It doesn't say an hour later or a mile later but I think it is implied all this isn't happening at once.

#14 "Wild life abounds in the Park. During your hike a chipmunk scurries around as you stop for a quick snack. While tossing a handful of granola in your mouth, you spill some on the trail. Later, a moose approaches you and starts licking the salt off your sweaty arm. What do you do?"

weary
12-02-2005, 14:59
I just submitted a donation to the MATLT. I want the lesser mountains protected.
Many thanks L. Wolf. You've joined my list of trail heroes. Great things truly are possible in Maine. All we need is more people like you who will put their money where their heart is.

Weary www.matlt.org

Two Speed
12-02-2005, 15:24
. . . The key word here being "Later" as in, not at the same time. It doesn't say an hour later or a mile later but I think it is implied all this isn't happening at once. . .

Whew, that's a relief. After what Kerosene said I thought I was being set up for a threesome or something.

Bjorkin, I'm told that I have a somewhat strange sense of humor. :clap

Yeah, some of the "correct" answers had a political spin, but at least BSP is trying to educate instead of spending all of their energy busting hikers. My perspective is if one is capable of parsing one's way through a test question to the "correct" answer then one is probably better equipped to answer real life questions. Of course, you don't know that you're completely prepared for a real life question until Mother Nature administers the test; academic tests are good, but real life is where the rubber hits the road.

Short version: despite the flaws, I still think the quiz is a great learning tool

rickb
12-02-2005, 15:44
Is getting licked by a moose a problem in Baxter?

Or anywhere?

Lumberjack
12-02-2005, 15:51
Last time I was up there I had moose sausage on my breath so I didnt get very close to any moose.....

weary
12-02-2005, 16:29
Is getting licked by a moose a problem in Baxter?
Or anywhere?
Nope! I think it's a rhetorical question. But if it ever happens to me, my plan is to skip the GORP crumbs and get outta there.

Cookerhiker
12-02-2005, 16:32
12 out of 15 - probably should have done better since I just hiked Katahdin last September. But I don't see what's wrong with everyone in a group signing the register. And I don't understand that one about the chipmunk, moose. and gorp.

Cookerhiker
12-02-2005, 16:36

Well, I wouldn't say Katahdin is overrated but I liked the 3 you mentioned. I got great photos of Katahdin from Nesuntabunt. What about Pleasant Pond Mt? I strained a rib on the ascent, not from falling but stretching to pull myself up.

Don't forget Saddleback. And the Baldpates.

walkin' wally
12-02-2005, 19:19
14 out of 15 for me. I like Nesuntabunt Mtn, White Cap, and Avery too.

I have an old picture (70's) of a Baxter Ranger hand-feeding salt to a cow moose at Chimney Pond. There was a calf a little ways back in the woods that mom would not let any closer.

justusryans
12-02-2005, 19:43
Perfect score, and I've never hiked Katahdin... yet!! :D

Moxie00
12-05-2005, 21:32
14/15, missed the one about signing in. I have signed in my entire party every time I climbed that mountain and thought that was the correct thing to do. In the past I have hiked with a party that planned to split, half knife edge-chimney pond, the other half, back down the hunt trail. How do you sign in in that case?

Sly
12-06-2005, 07:12
While it may not be important at Baxter, I've been told it's important at FS trailheads that have registers that everyone sign in. That way they know the trails are being used and are better funded.

Spiritual Pillgrim
12-10-2005, 10:33
13/15. i wouldn't have a flashlight and had all hikers sign in. most of the rest almost seem to be no brainers. what's a wag bag?

weary
12-10-2005, 10:51
While it may not be important at Baxter, I've been told it's important at FS trailheads that have registers that everyone sign in. That way they know the trails are being used and are better funded.
Baxter is totally funded from the interest from the trust fund Baxter left when he died. The fund now totals $50 million. As a forever wild park, more use is not encouraged. Aside from the non-resident gate fee and camping fees, use does not impact the money available for management or maintenance.

Weary

TJ aka Teej
12-10-2005, 23:40

It's very important at Baxter. Low staffing levels do not allow more than token physical monitoring of the 200+ trail miles inside the Park. The data collected from trailhead registers (and spur trail slip boxes) is very important information when allocating funds and manpower for trail maintenance.

Sly
12-11-2005, 10:30
It's very important at Baxter. Low staffing levels do not allow more than token physical monitoring of the 200+ trail miles inside the Park. The data collected from trailhead registers (and spur trail slip boxes) is very important information when allocating funds and manpower for trail maintenance.

Next time you're up there put my name down! ;)

HIKER7s
04-10-2006, 10:25
I took it 14/ 15, missed the trailhead register question. Thought as picky as they are, they'd want all to sign it. hmm