PDA

View Full Version : Great Hat Idea

Vegan Packer
10-01-2015, 19:12
I just decided to order one of these separate hat brims, called "Da Brim (http://www.dabrim.com/html/products/outdoors/eclipse.htm#tabs1-description)." I haven't received it yet, and I don't know if it will end out hitting my pack when worn (which could be my deal breaker issue), but I decided to give it a try.

The idea:

I like baseball/trucker style caps, but they don't provide enough sun protection.
I want protection from the sun, but I don't want to have to wear a wide brim hat at night or when out of the sun.
I can put on a beanie when it gets cool, wear Da Brim over the beanie, and I will be both warm and out of the glare.
I want to wear a trucker style hat with my rain jacket over it, which gives the advantage of enhanced protection from rain falling on my face, due to the brim sticking out. I do not want to wear a wide brim hat over my rain gear, or give up a hood.
No matter what the promise, it still gets hot under a neck cape style hat, and a wide brim hat can cover very well, maybe even better on the cheek area of the face.
Da Brim will pack flat when not used, or it can be rolled up.
I like the modular concept.

I am thinking about getting an OR Swift Cap (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/25688/s/swift-cap-4/category/2158/) to wear under Da Brim, and as my trucker hat. That way, if it is hot, I'll get great ventilation while still getting SPF 50 on the top of my head.

I figure that I can't look like any more of a dork than I already do when wear my Sunday Afternoons Sun Guide Hat with the neck cape, and this will be modular and functional for hot or cold sunny days, and rainy days (when I wear the cap with the rain gear).

I'll let you know if it works.

Venchka
10-01-2015, 19:36
You do know that those things are designed to go around a bicycle helmet?
Hope it works for you.
I'll stick to my Tilley.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Vegan Packer
10-01-2015, 20:59
You do know that those things are designed to go around a bicycle helmet?

That used to be the case; not anymore. This is specifically made to wear with ball cap style hats.

Venchka
10-02-2015, 00:02
Good news. I didn't know that.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

squeezebox
10-02-2015, 02:15
Don't forget to google Alien cap

squeezebox
10-02-2015, 02:25
I was wrong try stopabductions.com

daddytwosticks
10-02-2015, 07:20
I'll stick to my tin foil hat. :)

Odd Man Out
10-02-2015, 08:08
I've been shopping for hats recently. I too want a brim that goes all the way around but I find most sun hats have a brim is too wide. The narrow rim Tilley nylon airflow is perfect but so expensive. Still worth it if I can't find a suitable alternative.

Vegan Packer
10-02-2015, 13:39
They shipped the same day as my order. I am guessing that it will arrive no later than Monday.

Kookork
10-02-2015, 14:15
I've been shopping for hats recently. I too want a brim that goes all the way around but I find most sun hats have a brim is too wide. The narrow rim Tilley nylon airflow is perfect but so expensive. Still worth it if I can't find a suitable alternative.

I have a Tilley wide brim Airflow( cotton) and my brother has the same hat in Nylon. My hat was destroyed after a year and half .Normally the replacement should not be a problem when I go to their store but even before destruction I was not happy with it. It was too hot even for our Canadian summer.

My brother's hat is intact but even hotter than mine. Actually , after using Tilley hat, socks and shorts for about 6 years, I honestly think their products are overrated. My first hat worked for 5 years until I lost it but when I bought the first one, I was not aware of other decent companies . Maybe they have lost their quality control but their socks suck!!!.

swisscross
10-02-2015, 14:56

Take a look at the OR Sun Bucket.

Odd Man Out
10-02-2015, 16:00
Take a look at the OR Sun Bucket.

I did see that one but haven't been able to find it in a store. I found buying hats is like buying shoes. You really need to try them on to see how they fit. Also it looks less ventilated than the Tilley. But will definitely check it out. I too have a wide brim heavy cotton Tilley. Surprised that the LTM5 would be too warm.

rocketsocks
10-02-2015, 16:05
http://dabrim.com/images/products/outdoors/eclipse/Eclipse_Angled_Tan.jpg

rocketsocks
10-02-2015, 16:06
I kinda like the idea...goot one, wish I'd have thought of it first.

Kookork
10-02-2015, 16:07
I did see that one but haven't been able to find it in a store. I found buying hats is like buying shoes. You really need to try them on to see how they fit. Also it looks less ventilated than the Tilley. But will definitely check it out. I too have a wide brim heavy cotton Tilley. Surprised that the LTM5 would be too warm.

Common sense says that the airflow should be cooler than a normal hat because of the design but my experience showed that it is not the case.

Vegan Packer
10-02-2015, 20:28
I am looking at the OR Swift Cap. The picture doesn't really show it well, but the sides are entirely mesh, and the mesh goes up under the top covering, which is a separate layer. The mesh is denser than others, providing UPF 50+, but there is so much of it that I am inclined to believe the reviews that say that it has great air flow. Looking at the picture, you can see through it in the back, but the picture doesn't show how you can also see through it on the sides; it is the same mesh all around.

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but I think that I will use this in combination with Da Brim. I am figuring that the mesh will mostly remain clear of Da Brim, so that I can get great shade plus great air flow when wearing both together.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/media/catalog/product/cache/28/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/80600_808.jpg

Kookork
10-02-2015, 20:50
I am looking at the OR Swift Cap. The picture doesn't really show it well, but the sides are entirely mesh, and the mesh goes up under the top covering, which is a separate layer. The mesh is denser than others, providing UPF 50+, but there is so much of it that I am inclined to believe the reviews that say that it has great air flow. Looking at the picture, you can see through it in the back, but the picture doesn't show how you can also see through it on the sides; it is the same mesh all around.

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but I think that I will use this in combination with Da Brim. I am figuring that the mesh will mostly remain clear of Da Brim, so that I can get great shade plus great air flow when wearing both together.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/media/catalog/product/cache/28/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/80600_808.jpg

If you want to buy a cap that is comfortable ,have a look at these:

http://www.amazon.com/adidas-5127660-Aluminum-2-Parent-Mens-Adizero/dp/B00TGVYUZK

I have been using one of these for a long time. They are the most comfortable cap I have ever had. light and cool. they are stretchy polyester and after a year of use it still is almost like a new cap.

What I am planning to use in my PCT thru hike is similar to this OR cap:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sun-Hat-Reviews/Outdoor-Research-Sun-Runner-Cap

but mine is from a different company.

MuddyWaters
10-02-2015, 22:03
I made something like da brim once. Take a 3/32 sheet of hobby foam , cut out shape,cut out hole on middle for head. The foam is stretchy and fits over slightly snug. Water resistant too. Weighed under an ounce if i recall. My family refused to be seen with me if i wore it.

gbolt
10-02-2015, 22:40

The OR Swift Hat has been on my Amazon Wish List since Summer and will probably under the Christmas Tree in a couple of months. Now I will have to look at Da Brim because that could be the ticket for hiking in Treeless areas and still working with a head net. Thanks for that peice to the puzzle. I also swear by a dew rag in summer and for sleeping as well. With my balding head, I need the protection.

Vegan Packer
10-03-2015, 03:51
I try to be careful with the sun. My father died from melanoma, even though he got checked frequently. I was a beach lifeguard when I was younger, and then I became a scuba instructor (until my recent retirement) when I moved to Miami Beach. The sun is super strong around here, and I only started being smart about it for the last 15 years.

My current hat (Sunday Afternoons Sun Guide) has a cape, which I can take off at night. It isn't super hot when I have it on, but it gets hot enough that I'd like to find an alternative. Besides, even with it on, the sun can still hit my face when the afternoon sun hits (see the pics below), although I don't worry so much about the weaker late afternoon rays. Oh, and I am not about to switch to a face cape, a burka or a Freddy style hockey mask, so don't bother mentioning that! :eek:

My hope is that Da Brim will do what my current brim does for my face, but also extend coverage over my ears and enough of my neck.

32183 32182

Vegan Packer
10-03-2015, 03:59
If you want to buy a cap that is comfortable ,have a look at these:

http://www.amazon.com/adidas-5127660-Aluminum-2-Parent-Mens-Adizero/dp/B00TGVYUZK

I have been using one of these for a long time. They are the most comfortable cap I have ever had. light and cool. they are stretchy polyester and after a year of use it still is almost like a new cap.

What I am planning to use in my PCT thru hike is similar to this OR cap:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sun-Hat-Reviews/Outdoor-Research-Sun-Runner-Cap

but mine is from a different company.

I looked at the Adidas web site, and it does state that the hat provides UPF protection, but it doesn't say how much. The OR Swift provides 50+, even with the mesh. Many hats that have mesh provide very low protection through the mesh, even if the rest of the hat is great.

I have the Sunday Afternoons Sun Guide Cap, which is very similar to the OR Sun Runner, but with a longer brim in the front. It works, but it can still get warm under the cape. It's not super hot, but it would certainly be better to have open ventilation there, if I can still get enough sun protection from Da Brim. I will find out soon whether my new idea will provide that protection or not, because my Da Brim should arrive any day.

lemon b
10-04-2015, 04:44
I've settled on either an old school wool hat in cold weather or an old school drive on rag in the summer.

shakey_snake
10-05-2015, 20:27
Well, having lived in the valley of the sun, I can tell you that sunburned scalp is a real concern.

Vegan Packer
10-05-2015, 23:01
Well, having lived in the valley of the sun, I can tell you that sunburned scalp is a real concern.

The OR Swift provides 50+ UPF to the scalp and face. My hope is the Da Brim will provide good coverage for everywhere else.

I have already placed my orders. I expect to have both by early next week. More to come...

bikebum1975
10-06-2015, 19:19
That's a neat idea. I prefer a ball cap especially when working on cars and such some days it's not enough when cutting the lawn or whatever. I have a Filson hat but damn the thing gets hot

Vegan Packer
10-10-2015, 18:31
32250 32249 3225232251

Da Brim arrived. I finally had a chance to test it out a bit. So far, so good.

Mine weighed in at 2.6 ounces. Unfortunately, I was only able to test it out in the late afternoon, so I can't fully comment on its sun blocking ability. (Every hat that I have tried can't do very much about blocking the rays of the sun when it is so low on the horizon. On the other hand, the sun rays are so much weaker then that I don't worry about it so much.) From its looks, I think that it will do a great job of protecting the back of my neck and my ears, and it is great at keeping the areas that got hot from my previous hat's cape from getting hot.

It fits securely over my new Outdoor Research Swift Cap, which itself is amazing at how well it breathes. With the elastic plus the rear cinch cord holding Da Brim in place over my cap (I didn't even have to tighten the cinch cord to get a secure fit), I may end out cutting off the cord for the chin strap, but I won't try that until after going out in strong winds enough to fully test Da Brim's limits.

Because I only had a camera phone, the pictures are not the greatest, but they give you an idea of the coverage. One thing to note from the pictures is that the elastic and fabric that goes around the rear of the head will partially cover the venting of the Swift, when deployed as far upwards as it will go. Another picture shows what it looks like if you tuck this down when you put it over your cap. This worked well, and it did not change the comfort level, at all. However, depending on the type of cap that you wear, or how much hair you have at the back of your head, sliding the elastic all the way down will leave a small area of the lower crown of your head exposed to the sun. Personally, I found that sliding the elastic up enough to cover this small opening did not affect the excellent breathability of the Swift one bit, even if the picture makes it look like it would. The temperature at the time of testing was about 87F, and the humidity was the usual Florida summer extreme.

Kulliman
10-11-2015, 16:30
Another idea might be an Helion ultralight wide brim hat. I bought one of these to work with my mosquito head net. It is very light and has netting in back so it is very cool. I have only used it kayaking so far with out the mosquito net and it works great for that purpose. Folds up small and weighs only 49 grams folded up in its pouch. It might be hard to find though. I think I may have bought mine on eBay.

Kulliman
10-11-2015, 16:34
Another idea might be an Helion ultralight wide brim hat. I bought one of these to work with my mosquito head net. It is very light and has netting in back so it is very cool. I have only used it kayaking so far with out the mosquito net and it works great for that purpose. Folds up small and weighs only 49 grams folded up in its pouch. It might be hard to find though. I think I may have bought mine on eBay.