PDA

View Full Version : Winter cook pot

sethd513
10-02-2015, 16:25
What would you use to boil snow and or cook food for you and one other person? I was hoping toaks 1600ml would be enough for the wife and I as we always do dehydrated food in a coozy. Would I be better off with the msr alpinist 2 pot? I don't care for how the handle feels on that one yet It could hold more snow initially. Any input on these pots or other single pots would be great. I don't need cups and bowls and skillets as those aren't a fit for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayak karl
10-02-2015, 16:28
i have never use a different pot in winter. what do you use in the summer?

sethd513
10-02-2015, 16:31
Toaks 550 with a red bull stove

sethd513
10-02-2015, 16:37
And that size per boil only works for one person one meal. I feel as though I'm going to need much more warm water as I'm not going to use a filter since there will be snow everywhere. Filling up a 32 or 50oz nalgene for the night for each of us in each bag. Plus 26 oz per person per meal which is food and a tea. And then if we want more then that before bed. Idk if I'm over thinking this but I drink 130oz of water a day and I love it.

Snowleopard
10-03-2015, 12:17
You could consider a heat exchanger pot such as the Primus eta pots which will speed up melting/boiling times and use less fuel. For two people you probably want a 2+ liter size. If you're just melting snow and boiling water, you might find a larger non-anodized aluminum pot cheap (e.g., Open Country aluminum pots are still available).

Remember that melting snow + boiling takes a lot more energy and time than boiling water. You can save a lot of fuel if you can find some liquid water to boil; there's often some streams or lakes with water even in very cold weather.

Feral Bill
10-03-2015, 12:53
It takes a lot of snow to make a liter of water. Consider all the hot drinks and water bottle refills you'll need. For the cost of a few ounces get a 4 liter aluminum pot for your snow melting. Also, a white gas stove is the sensible way to go, or maybe a liquid feed canister stove.

sethd513
10-03-2015, 13:11
Yes I purchased a whisper lite universal as we use a windboiler and pocket rocket for canister stoves. I figured open water would be available in any situation but snow as a back up is always acceptable.

sethd513
10-03-2015, 13:16
Yes I purchased a whisper lite universal as we use a windboiler and pocket rocket for canister stoves. I figured open water would be available in any situation but snow as a back up is always acceptable.

Another Kevin
10-03-2015, 13:37
It takes a lot of snow to make a liter of water. Consider all the hot drinks and water bottle refills you'll need. For the cost of a few ounces get a 4 liter aluminum pot for your snow melting. Also, a white gas stove is the sensible way to go, or maybe a liquid feed canister stove.

What Bill said. Melting your drinking water takes an astonishing amount of fuel. It's best to plan on 10 oz (300 ml) of white gas PER DAY in deep winter. Seriously. In fact, if I expect that I won't find streams, I up that to a half litre. Propane in an inverted-canister stove will work, I suppose, but its heat content is lower, so it's just Too Darned Heavy in my book.

But in the East, you can usually find water that isn't frozen. For instance, this spring was still going under a four-foot snowpack. We had to use an ice axe to clear enough of the frozen stuff away to get at flowing water, but it was there. Where I hike, there are enough winter travellers that there are usually well-broken tracks leading to the water sources, and the ice is generally pretty thin because someone else has broken it ahead of you. It helps to set up a stove and heat the water up some so it doesn't immediately freeze in the bottles. (And if you're going to do that, might as well boil it and save yourself the trouble of treating it.) "Usually" isn't "always", so in deep winter you have to be prepared to melt snow.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7rnk8kiI1sI/VJimfLTMSZI/AAAAAAAAlm4/Kj4PauJmGo4/s640-no/DSC_3915.JPG

sethd513
10-03-2015, 14:08
I purchased a 20 oz fuel bottle and got a 30 in my package instead so I was contemplating keeping it. I figured canister for a day trip but overnights would def be white gas.

Tipi Walter
10-03-2015, 14:42
The best pot I found for winter cooking for two people and for melting snow is the MSR titanium 2 liter---see pic:

You don't need a handle or pot holder cuz the top rim never gets hot and can be touched and moved no problem---because it's titanium. And it's big enough to make snow water and meals for 2.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2009/A-5-Day-Autumn-Tease-Trip-101/i-KDfcrNb/0/M/TRIP%20101%20050-M.jpg