PDA

View Full Version : My Lamentations About My Future Experiences.

White Shimmer
10-03-2015, 12:40
I am sure this has been in discussion prior, but this is more about MY feeling of becoming marginalized so please be patient.

I had my first AT experience with my two ~20yo boys three weeks ago in a nine day HF to Waynesboro trek. That was very therapeutic for me and I am pining for a lot more for myself. I met some great people along the way and had a challenging but very doable experience. I am 54 and in the best shape of my life at this juncture. I am feeling that I could make 25-30mpd without a problem.

My lamentation stems from what is about to happen on the AT with the three adventuring films released in the past year. I am on the Trail for solitude, self discovery and learning, mental therapy, physical and mental challenges, a disconnection from daily life noise and static, and a connection to the natural and embracing the unknown.

This will likely not be the case in the next three-four years as the media bubble of activity will change the face of the AT. I predict three/four years because we all know the dichotomy between the romantic idea of the AT and its harsh realities. While ecotourism has proven useful in some places, it has a nasty habit of wiping clean the very traditional natural and cultural experiences that one came to see in the first place. The ATC will have to produce a valiant effort in these next few years to maintain the Trail, and the experience of the Trail.

In my needs on the Trail, this bubble will not affect a small part of it, but the majority of my needs will be adversely affected, and I feel this loss even though I am new to this. I am a HS teacher and want to do a Thru but that much time away is not really feasible so I am resigned to likely doing two Section hikes- each originating at HF, over two summers.

My single regret about this whole thing that is about to happen is that I did not begin extended hiking/primitive camping the AT (or hiking in general) until three weeks ago. I just wish now that I had begun after I graduated HS in '79.

rafe
10-03-2015, 12:58
The trail is maintained by thousands of volunteers. You could easily be one of them. Particularly as you are so concerned about the trail meeting your needs.

Rocket Jones
10-03-2015, 16:30
The AT is not the only trail out there. Google it up, there are plenty of hikes that can provide you more solitude than the AT.

Sarcasm the elf
10-03-2015, 16:47
The A.T. has had a gradual increase in use for decades now. People had the same fears you mention when the Walk in The Woods book first came out but the trail handled it with ease.

Even if more it becomes more popular what's the worry? If more people have an interest in hiking and get outdoors they get healthier, they get away from their computers, some of them become stewards or activists that fight for openly accessible public land. I'm rather optimistic about it.

Bronk
10-03-2015, 16:48
I wouldn't worry about it. As others have said before, while there is a thruhiker bubble every year, after it passes by many of the trail is empty most of the rest of the time.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2015, 17:00
If you think the AT is going to be too crowed or is somehow getting ruined, go someplace else. Don't add to the problem.

Anyway, I think your jumping the gun here after just one 9 day trip. Try doing a nice long section hike of 4-6 weeks. You can pick an area which hasn't been overrun yet or has already been passed by. You might find a shorter trip is just as beneficial, a lot easier to manage and a lot easier on the body.

I've been hiking on the AT since the 80's and the good ol' days are highly overrated.

imscotty
10-03-2015, 17:27
WS, not to worry buddy. There are lots of other trails that are so underused they would benefit by being trodden by your feet. Solitude can be found elsewhere.

For that matter, I firmly believe that solitude can still be found on the AT if you seek it out. Hike off season, choose an alternative hike, just stay away from the sellers and towns and you will have plenty of alone time. Who knows, you may even begin to miss some of the social aspects the crowds can bring and join them when the mood arises. Happy hiking!

LIhikers
10-03-2015, 20:09
imscotty pretty well sums it up. Just think outside the box.

Tipi Walter
10-03-2015, 20:20
When the weather "tards call for a 4 day snowstorm in the mountains, get your gear, White Shimmer, and hit the Appalachian Trail and have at it. You're sure to see very few hikers. Or remember Rocket Jones's words---The AT is not the only game in town. There are around 400 miles of backpacking trails south of the GSMNP---do them instead. Oh, and these trails don't have box shelters so you'll see alot less backpackers.

Spirit Walker
10-03-2015, 21:27
You aren't far from Pennsylvania. There are a lot of long trails in PA that provide wilderness solitude. We've done dozens of holiday weekend backpack trips and not seen a soul. (Quehanna, Chuck Keiper, Donut Hole, Bucktail, etc.) A few are more popular (i.e. the Black Forest or Laurel Highlands) but very worth doing, and still less crowded than the AT. The Great Eastern Trail parallels the AT and has alternate routes all the way from Georgia to New York -- none of those trails are very crowded. So no need to lament, go explore.

GoldenBear
10-03-2015, 23:06
Willie Keeler, star baseball player of the 1890s, explained how to get hits in his game: "Hit 'em where they ain't."

Golden Bear, pathetic back-packer of the 2010s, explains how to avoid hikers on the A.T: "Walk when they ain't there."

Like you, I enjoy backpacking for a sense of self-reliance and solitude. As much due to embarrassment as anything else, I don't like the social aspects of The Trail -- if I don't meet a single fellow hiker during a day's walk, I feel completely fine. And I particularly dislike being with the same people, night after night. Sorry, fellow hikers, it's not you (you're actually a great bunch, and I'll gladly share a few minutes with anyone); it's me.

So how did I manage to hike over 1200 miles over the years, have most days seeing fewer than five people, and share shelters or camp areas with exactly nobody about 25% of the time?
Simple: I hike away from "the bulge." In the late spring and early summer, I'm north of Pennsylvania. From mid-summer onward, I'm in the South. This does lead to some annoying weather problems (cold in the north, unbearable heat in the South), but I just put up with these.

This, of course, is no guarantee. In one of my section hikes, I went three days without anyone else sharing my sleeping place, then had eight people at the shelter on the fourth night. As Jeb Bush says, stuff happens. But, for the most part, you get as much solitude as you plan for.

rafe
10-04-2015, 00:16
I don't understand the entitlement. The AT is a vast public project. For any individual to complain that it fails to meet his or her needs strikes me as... selfish or just childish.

The Phoenix
10-04-2015, 03:09
I started southbound in Maine in late summer... I hit the northbound wave throughout Maine & New Hampshire... after that, the trail was all mine. In Pennsylvania, I hardly saw a soul.

I like a mix, some days, I love the trail community, other days I want to disappear into no man's land. Hike in Montana, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, the Rockies (especially the Canadian Rockies)... you'll see next to nobody. Up in Montana and Canada, you are bound to get more moose, elk, and bear crossing your path than fellow humans.

If you don't want to travel so far... or plan so much... hike the Northern half of the Long Trail, the International AT, the Florida Trail... plenty of alternatives out there.

Personally, I love the AT for the balance. Bill Bryson isn't going to rain on any parade I am having.

lemon b
10-04-2015, 04:53
Agree with Rocket Jones and TiPiWalter. Explore other options. Also as TiPi ponted out the AT thins out during most of the year. Happy that you and your sons are getting in hiking time. Found bag night times with my sons has forever bonded us in unique ways. Am sure you can do those 25-35 mpd walks. But my question is why? Whats the rush ? Taking the rush factor out has improved my relationship with nature.

Traveler
10-04-2015, 09:15
Agree with Rocket Jones and TiPiWalter. Explore other options. Also as TiPi ponted out the AT thins out during most of the year. Happy that you and your sons are getting in hiking time. Found bag night times with my sons has forever bonded us in unique ways. Am sure you can do those 25-35 mpd walks. But my question is why? Whats the rush ? Taking the rush factor out has improved my relationship with nature.

Perfect, insightful response.

ajwatson
10-04-2015, 10:54
I don't understand the entitlement. The AT is a vast public project. For any individual to complain that it fails to meet his or her needs strikes me as... selfish or just childish.

100% with you on this. The trail ain't there for you.

Slo-go'en
10-04-2015, 11:14
100% with you on this. The trail ain't there for you.

Actually, the trail is there for you - and everyone else for that matter. The trail is just a foot path along the spine of the Appalachian mountains (and not a very easy one for the most part). The trail "experience" is what you make of it. It can be a very social thing or a very solitude thing. For most people it's a combination of both.

tiptoe
10-04-2015, 11:50
As a teacher, you'll theoretically have big chunks of time available for hiking in the summer. A little planning will allow you to factor in weather, avoiding the bubble, and any other priorities when you decide when and where to hike. I've did that for years when I was working, and since retiring three years ago I've refined the process. So a couple of years ago, I timed my southbound section to get to Damascus for trail days, and toward the end of it really didn't enjoy being with mobs of people doing the same thing. So last spring I decided to forego early spring wildflowers in favor of fewer thrus and warmer weather. I hiked from Damascus to Amicalola from mid-May to mid-July and had a fine time. As others have said, don't fret. Just get out there and enjoy yourself.

White Shimmer
10-04-2015, 16:34
Thank you everyone for the responses. After putting on my snark filter for a couple of the responses, I got some perspective from the productive and thoughtful posts.

Sir rafe and King aj: I do not feel entitled- just musing about how I might get what I need out of the AT experience. Yes, even you two have these needs... whatever they may be. If you knew me, you'd never label me as feeling 'entitled' to anything.

rafe
10-04-2015, 21:11
Thank you everyone for the responses. After putting on my snark filter for a couple of the responses, I got some perspective from the productive and thoughtful posts.

Sir rafe and King aj: I do not feel entitled- just musing about how I might get what I need out of the AT experience. Yes, even you two have these needs... whatever they may be. If you knew me, you'd never label me as feeling 'entitled' to anything.

Perhaps it's your manner of speaking, specifically about "my needs on the trail." Or about your confidence of doing 25-30 mpd, which bespeaks a bit of naivete.

ieOr maybe it's because I've had it up to the keister, of late, with folks complaining that the trail's just too darn crowded for their tastes. As if that were someone else's problem to address.

David S.
10-04-2015, 21:11
Trust me, the number of folks with their heads buried in their high tech cell phones will completely counteract any effect the movies might have on the trail. Why hike when you can immerse yourself in a virtual world?

White Shimmer
10-05-2015, 06:05
rafe,
You seem like a very hardened person and I don't really understand the communication problem here. I never stated or intimated that it was someone else's problem. I am just thinking (out loud, sort of) about it and laying down my thoughts, as one might in a journal or a diary. I am not sure why you need to comment on my mpd statement- 19/day was well within my capability when I went three weeks ago on 7-8hr days. This is commentary for inflammation's sake. I guess if you want to make it your business, well... that's somewhat strange and significantly overstepping your knowledge about me. I see an over-sensitivity here.

I agree with you that there are a lot of crowding threads here, but it is becoming an increasing problem- I am sure that you know the numbers.

I really do not like being forced to go toe-to-toe with people (it's not part of my psyche), so these are my last statements about your threadcrap derailment. I look forward to more productive exchanges with you, and others on the forum.

Enjoy your day:)

Traveler
10-05-2015, 07:22
rafe,
You seem like a very hardened person and I don't really understand the communication problem here. I never stated or intimated that it was someone else's problem. I am just thinking (out loud, sort of) about it and laying down my thoughts, as one might in a journal or a diary. I am not sure why you need to comment on my mpd statement- 19/day was well within my capability when I went three weeks ago on 7-8hr days. This is commentary for inflammation's sake. I guess if you want to make it your business, well... that's somewhat strange and significantly overstepping your knowledge about me. I see an over-sensitivity here.

I agree with you that there are a lot of crowding threads here, but it is becoming an increasing problem- I am sure that you know the numbers.

I really do not like being forced to go toe-to-toe with people (it's not part of my psyche), so these are my last statements about your threadcrap derailment. I look forward to more productive exchanges with you, and others on the forum.

Enjoy your day:)

Apparently "over crowding" is an issue you are dwelling on. The AT is typically not over populated outside of about 60 days when the bubble moves through a given area. Avoid the bubble, you'll avoid the "crowds", though sections of trail that lead to a feature or popular view will always have some traffic. I am on the AT in southern New England a lot throughout the year and find it rare to see people in any number (usually none at all) during most of the year. From Memorial day through late July the bubble comes through, but its easily avoided. Its either that or investigate other, less traveled pathways if your needs dictate.

Malto
10-05-2015, 16:34
the overcrowding worry is much bigger here than on the trail. I just finished 7 days in the Adirondacks and saw no more than about a dozen people total in the peak of fall foliage. I have hiked over 2000 miles on the AT and have only seen one problem with overcrowding, stay away from the AT south of GSMNP during the spring and the dreaded crowds will not be found. By the time the thru hikers hit GSMNP it is reduced and spread out. Want to see fewer people, go with the flow, hike NoBo and you will see far fewer people than hiking SoBo for a given section through the bubble. The trail is what it is, it is for you to adapt. Good luck.

FarmerChef
10-05-2015, 16:45
I have hiked many days over long section hikes where I saw maybe 2 or 3 people tops in a day. And I've spent many nights in a shelter alone. Our answer was to do our hiking when the main group of thrus/sectioners/weekenders weren't - fall (anywhere but Maine), spring (anywhere but Georgia) and in the summer away from the bubble. Only twice have we hit the bubble and the first time we enjoyed the group we were with. The second time we were southbound and very glad of it.

Even in the middle of the summer when everyone comes out to play many sections of the trail simply aren't crowded at all. Timing and location is the key. I sympathize with your time constraints as an educator but you can still do much if not all of the trail with the two years of sections you have planned. If you choose your locations with the bubble in mind, I think you'll still have a pleasant experience based on your stated desires. Either way - good luck, happy hiking and get on out there and enjoy it! :):banana

Slo-go'en
10-05-2015, 17:51
rafe,
I am not sure why you need to comment on my mpd statement- 19/day was well within my capability when I went three weeks ago on 7-8hr days. This is commentary for inflammation's sake.

Claiming you could easily do 25-30 mile days based on one trip, on one of the easiest sections of the AT, in nice weather, is dubious. Maybe you can do that kind of mileage occasionally, but can you do that consistently, everyday for months at a time? Not many can. Doing big miles like that takes a serious toll on the body before long, especially when your in your late 40's or early 50's as I suspect you are.

1azarus
10-05-2015, 18:06
Not to change the subject, well, maybe to change the subject, in this or some other thread, Malto, please tell us about your adirondack trip!

rafe
10-05-2015, 18:15
I'm wondering if Malto mis-spoke in his post (Msg. #24)? It seems to me a SOBO hike of the AT is bound to be more of a solitary experience than NOBO.

There will be a collision of SOBOs and NOBOs up in northern New England in July and August. But after that, I think a lot of SOBOs are going to find the trail pretty quiet.

NOBO out of Springer in March is bound to be a zoo, but that's hardly a new phenomenon. Either wave (ie. NOBO or SOBO) will be pretty well dispersed after the first month or two.

Deadeye
10-05-2015, 20:40
It's already been said - if you find the AT overcrowded, don't be part of the crowd. If you really want solitude, go off-trail. Many states have public lands with no prohibitions on wilderness camping... grab a map & compass and hit the woods. You'll be very alone.

Another Kevin
10-05-2015, 23:16
I'm wondering if Malto mis-spoke in his post (Msg. #24)? It seems to me a SOBO hike of the AT is bound to be more of a solitary experience than NOBO.

There will be a collision of SOBOs and NOBOs up in northern New England in July and August. But after that, I think a lot of SOBOs are going to find the trail pretty quiet.

NOBO out of Springer in March is bound to be a zoo, but that's hardly a new phenomenon. Either wave (ie. NOBO or SOBO) will be pretty well dispersed after the first month or two.

NOBO, you'll have more people to hike with. But you'll be solitary for longer periods (if that's how you want it) if you can nearly match speeds with the party ahead of you and the party behind you. I did one section hike of the NPT NOBO and saw nobody - but could see in the registers that I had four people half a day ahead of me for the three nights I was on trail.

SOBO, you'll meet more people, because the horde is coming the other way. At least until you're through the bubble.

rafe
10-06-2015, 05:56
All I know is -- I was SOBO for nearly six weeks in summer/early fall of 2007, and was passed by exactly two SOBO thru hikers in that time. Aside from SNP around Labor Day, the trail was mostly deserted. I'd see a little uptick of activity on weekends, and see joggers and early morning walkers near the more accessible trailheads.

White Shimmer
10-06-2015, 15:51
Perhaps I am just plain wrong about the crowding situation, save the usual locations at the usual times. But my post was really about the next few years, post-production, on three adventuring films.

Slo-go'en
10-06-2015, 17:16
Perhaps I am just plain wrong about the crowding situation, save the usual locations at the usual times. But my post was really about the next few years, post-production, on three adventuring films.

Since TWITW movie was about old farts, maybe more of us will show up on the trail. Or maybe not. It could be seen as a cautionary tale. I kinda doubt the movie(s) will have all that much impact.

Usage has been steadily going up due to a number of reasons. There are more retirees now that they have the time and money to tackle the trail, there are a lot of Vets "walking off the war" and of course the collage kids who have always been a major component of the hiker community. Youtube has probably had a bigger influence then the motion pictures, especially among the younger crowd. This site is no doubt a major contributor, along with lighter gear and more services along the trail, all of which makes the trek easier.

It's a lot different then the good old days of lugging a 40-45 pound frame pack while wearing 5 pound leather boots on a trail which was a lot rougher, having little or no idea what you'd find at the next town and wondering if you'd be welcome there or not. (and there were towns in the south were you weren't). Hiking through North Carolina/Tennessee was a lot like being in a Third world nation not all that long ago. It was kinda fun though.

Dan Roper
10-12-2015, 11:36
I'm the same age as the original poster (54) and graduated from high school in 1979. I've often said that I regretted not backpacking the AT when I was young, so I know where he's coming from. (I have, however, now done 425 miles of section hiking since 2007 with my two sons, so I'm scratching that old itch.)

Get a copy of David Brill's As Far as the Eye can See. It's the best AT backpacking book I've read. He did his through hike in 1979, so the era is just right.

Regarding crowds, that's not really an issue. I've done nearly all of my AT section hiking in the South in late summer and early autumn. We usually see a few hikers (and sometimes alot at favorite places like Max Patch), but we've also had shelters to ourselves and not encountered another hiker all day. For example, on five-day trip in Tenn./NC two months ago, we had Clyde Smith and Mountaineer shelters to ourselves, while Overmountain shelter had quite a few present.

I don't think A Walk in the Woods is going to have a big impact on the AT.

About long days. I'm in decent though not top shape and did 18-mile days on that recent trip in the Roan Highlands section, which is fairly tough. If I backpacked for several weeks and got real trail legs, I think I could manage an occasional 25 mile day at my age, especially in less steep terrain. But it's nearly impossible to average high miles at the start of a section hike. Weather and terrain will impact your pace and if you push too hard you'll likely end up with blisters or overly tired. Most fit folks in their 50s can comfortably start out averaging 10 to 15 miles a day in the mountains in summertime, occasionally more.

Planning a long section hike on the assumption you can do 25-30 mile days (or 15-20 mile days in the mountains), and then pushing yourself to try to keep to that schedule, is a sure way to make yourself miserable or end your hike early.

Coffee
10-12-2015, 14:14
Take hysteria over the trail being "ruined" by movies with a truckload of salt. Wild was supposed to have "ruined" the PCT this year. Nothing could be further from the truth. The same is likely the case for the AT publicity. Over 900 miles on the PCT starting in the peak of the bubble at the Mexican border I only felt that it was "crowded" a few times and all of those times were not actually on the trail but in town or trail angel locations.

BonBon
10-31-2015, 05:51
I had the same concerns when I started my thru- (and got the same kind of replies when I asked about it here) I thought I wanted solitude , and actually, I got plenty of it. But- once you thru hike, I think you know the truth about the trail, and the truth is that the people ARE the trail. The serious hikers, the naturalists, the yellow blazing party seekers, the occasional homeless hiker, the cliche mid life crisis hikers (thats me), the stressed out, the super zen, and the trail-ebrities, like Miss Janet and Baltimore Jack, Pirate and Wolf -it's a people stew and it is mighty tasty. I miss it so much. I miss letting down all of my guards and suspending my pompous judgements and accepting each person I meet as a kindred spirit. I miss the complete unquestioning acceptance. Don't worry though , there is A LOT of alone time, and a lot of lonely time too.

Praha4
10-31-2015, 11:46
yo White Shimmer: I hear your feelings and understand COMPLETELY. Ignore the snarky B.S. from some here, it comes with the territory. If you hike long enough, you will meet some hikers on the AT that like to use their "Moses" voice to lecture others from their AT-Moral-Highground. I belong to my local Florida Trail Chapter, and spend time out working on the FT, and if I want to bitch about the AT when I'm up there, I'll bitch about the AT. When I was in the Army, us G.I.'s knew a happy G.I. is bitchin' about something. :)

Roll with it, use ear plugs as needed. But Tipi Walter's advice is good advice, try getting out in the winter, or hittin' trails he knows in areas off the beaten path.

I've hiked that HF to Waynesboro section you mentioned before, and loved it, and all I can say is you were in the Shenandoah Nat. Park and that section does tend to be busier with day hikers and section hikers most of the year. Yep, with more movies and books about the trail, there will be more rush to the outdoors from those wishing to escape their metal coffins stuck on the big city freeway rush hours. March-May from Springer to Damascus is the AT NoBo highway rush hour.

After you get out on the AT enough in different seasons and months, you'll get an idea where and when to go to avoid the mob(s). Staying away from shelters will also help you avoid the traffic. You're lucky you got to do that hike with your sons. I missed that experience with my kid, he's grown up with family and kids now and can't ever go hiking.

have fun hiking!

rocketsocks
11-01-2015, 00:29
yo White Shimmer: I hear your feelings and understand COMPLETELY. Ignore the snarky B.S. from some here, it comes with the territory. If you hike long enough, you will meet some hikers on the AT that like to use their "Moses" voice to lecture others from their AT-Moral-Highground. I belong to my local Florida Trail Chapter, and spend time out working on the FT, and if I want to bitch about the AT when I'm up there, I'll bitch about the AT. When I was in the Army, us G.I.'s knew a happy G.I. is bitchin' about something. :)

Roll with it, use ear plugs as needed. But Tipi Walter's advice is good advice, try getting out in the winter, or hittin' trails he knows in areas off the beaten path.

I've hiked that HF to Waynesboro section you mentioned before, and loved it, and all I can say is you were in the Shenandoah Nat. Park and that section does tend to be busier with day hikers and section hikers most of the year. Yep, with more movies and books about the trail, there will be more rush to the outdoors from those wishing to escape their metal coffins stuck on the big city freeway rush hours. March-May from Springer to Damascus is the AT NoBo highway rush hour.

After you get out on the AT enough in different seasons and months, you'll get an idea where and when to go to avoid the mob(s). Staying away from shelters will also help you avoid the traffic. You're lucky you got to do that hike with your sons. I missed that experience with my kid, he's grown up with family and kids now and can't ever go hiking.

have fun hiking!Yup I agree, just go hiking, all that other crap matters not, I missed a lot chasing the all mighty dollar...never again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpsD0ZDfus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpsD0ZDfus

Old Boots
11-01-2015, 15:32
If you are worried about over-crowding on the AT just hike at times that are less popular. I began my first on Feb 18 and found oodles of solitude.

MuddyWaters
11-01-2015, 15:56
If you are worried about over-crowding on the AT just hike at times that are less popular. I began my first on Feb 18 and found oodles of solitude.

I went for a 75 mile walk a few weeks ago. I camped at shelter areas several nights since they were uncrowded and water was really only able to be counted to be found at the shelters, at least before rain started. Was alone every night but one. That shelter had 1 sobo, and 3 other people. I camped about 100yds from it. Passed 1/2 dozen SOBOs per day some day, a few section hikers around weekend, went about 30 hrs + at one point without seeing another person too. Rainy days are great days to be on the trail, many thruhikers hold up in town, sectioners stay home, etc. The views just suck.

Professor Paul
11-08-2015, 01:25
For those who jumped on White Shimmer for expressing his concerns, the ATC has actually made those exact worries (i.e., the potential problems associated with WITW, particularly ruining the sense of solitude) central to their last couple of newsletters and other publications. So he's right in the mainstream of the organization that, you know, coordinates everything on the AT. So everyone should please lighten up. That said, the tips offered, especially regarding going in the offseason and whatnot, should alleviate things enough. Hiking has a way of taking care of things all by itself anyway.

4eyedbuzzard
11-08-2015, 02:54
I think Benton MacKaye, Arthur Perkins, Myron Avery, et al, would be pleased with the amount of concern about over-crowding on, and over-use of the AT. But I think they would be even more pleased that so many people are actually hiking the AT to cause need for that concern. It was built to be used. Its sole reason for being is that people actually use it. If people didn't use it, there would be little reason to justify the public money and effort spent on its construction, protection, and maintenance.

The purpose of the trail was, and still is, to address a much larger problem - the effect on humans living in an industrialized(now technological) era in congested urban areas. The trail was built to be accessible to the country's major population in the eastern US, in order that those people would be able to temporarily escape for a few weeks every year to "re-create", and experience (an illusion of) the wilderness. Much of MacKaye's original vision such as work camps, farms, and such never materialized. And people now have much more leisure time than he likely imagined. But what did survive and flourish is a very unique linear park whose use we should encourage, not discourage. Because spending some time hiking and camping in the woods usually makes people's lives fuller, makes them better people, and gets them interested in protecting the little wilderness we have left.

Yes, there's some issues with crowding and overuse: the NOBO thru-hiker bubble, crowding in the Whites (which is nothing new), and BSP's recent concerns (over-reaction?) over thru-hiker behavior/impact. We need to encourage alternate itineraries along with better infrastructure in the south to handle the NOBO bubble, and we need to better educate prospective hikers regarding respect for rules and standards of behavior. But as these issues are solved, others will arise, and the trail will always remain a bit of a work in progress.