PDA

View Full Version : REI Garage Sale

Kontiki
10-04-2015, 16:22
Hello everyone!

I went to the R.E.I. garage sale in Jacksonville, FL. yesterday. It was my first one. I highly recommend going to one in your area. Here's the deal's I got. Black diamond spot headlamp $39.95, I got for $11.83 with batteries!!! The tag with yellow dot read "could not open, broke it in process of trying to open it-needed instruction" I opened the battery compartment and it looked like brand new batteries! It was a brand new headlamp. I almost thought REI was playing a joke on us. The second item was an Exped Synmat 7 M, $129.00, I got for $38.83. The tag read "one baffle larger that other". When I got it home I pumped it up using its own air pump and saw that the last baffle/air chamber came apart. Going to see if Exped can fix it.

It started at 9am. I got there at 8:15am and the line was wrapped around the building (approx. 50 yds of people)! I decided to wait in my truck. At 9am the line started moving. I headed towards the door when an REI employee asked if I was there for the garage sale. I said yes and he asked me to reach in a bag and grab a piece of colored paper. Wish I would have grabbed pink! Got grey and had to wait til 11:30am Each color had 30 minutes in the back where they had all the garage sale stuff.

I think you have to know exactly what you are looking for, for this to work and look everywhere. Stuff gets picked up let's say at the table with all the tents and is put down in a random spot. Also I picked up a neoair for $80.83, felt like I was being stalked! I put it down and some lady grabbed it!

Anyway, hope this helps any 1st timers.

Venchka
10-04-2015, 19:00
You were extremely lucky. I went to one garage sale in Houston. Total waste of my time. I won't do that again.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

peteyglad
10-04-2015, 22:19
I have been to two in Atlanta. The first one I got there later in the day and there was just junk. The 2nd time I went and stood in line. Still nothing but junk. I liken it to Black Friday shopping. It is not worth my time to possibly save a couple bucks.

Ryder
10-04-2015, 22:24
Yesterday morning, I went to the one in Indianapolis.... It was the first time I'd been that early in the morning- and it was like Black Friday.

I saw a small pack with the description, "customer used it for seven years and returned because the zipper broke..."

I guess they really do have a "no questions asked" return policy.

TNhiker
10-04-2015, 22:42
I saw a small pack with the description, "customer used it for seven years and returned because the zipper broke..."

I guess they really do have a "no questions asked" return policy.

they changed their policy, i think, last year......................and made it more like a year of usage.........

they were very liberal about their returns and people (like described) took advantage of it...

i heard a story of someone returning a baby stroller-------after their kid outgrew it and they didnt need it anymore...............

Ryder
10-04-2015, 23:22
they changed their policy, i think, last year......................and made it more like a year of usage.........

they were very liberal about their returns and people (like described) took advantage of it...

i heard a story of someone returning a baby stroller-------after their kid outgrew it and they didnt need it anymore...............

Lol...wow...
after they didn't need it anymore... :rolleyes:

Offshore
10-05-2015, 07:24
I can appreciate the "fun of the hunt" aspect, but I'd rather spend what little free time I have using my gear rather than waiting in line, getting into a scrum with a crowd, and rummaging through piles of stuff to *maybe* get a deal on someone's used/returned item. One year I drove past an REI on garage sale day on the way to the trail. Seeing the line out the door made me feel very lucky that I had the sense to skip it and head to the woods and the economic means not to have to rely on the garage sales to pursue the hobby. But if people enjoy it - go for it!

Stubby
10-05-2015, 15:43
I like them. Its hit or miss, I came up with nothing last time, although I could have picked of an Hero silver in perfect condition for $250. And was just a little slow to slow to grab a cheap Osprey Exos.

But the time before, my daughter got a paddle board, and I got a sleep pillow, and a pack cover, and some Eno Atlas straps (the ones that don't stretch like crazy).

For some of us, this is a great way to get more gear than we could get otherwise.

Uncle Joe
10-05-2015, 15:51
I went as well. Didn't really find anything in the garage sale but spent $300 on other stuff. Bait cast, bite, and hooked! :p

heckyesnugent
10-05-2015, 21:21
I work at REI in Cincinnati and we don't do the time limit thing. We just let everyone in. I've definitely seen some awesome deals in my time.. last sale there was a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (my tent) returned simply because the person wanted a tent with "cooler features". Also coats are a huge item! Not so much this time but after winter there will be super cheap coats returned because they were the wrong size, but they've been worn so we can't put them back on the floor. Sometimes we lose boxes for items that we've had on display so we can't sell them They are hit and miss but you can get some great deals.

tflaris
10-05-2015, 22:03
I did the one in Jacksonville. Made it in the early afternoon. Everything was picked over. A lot of shoes were left. Not sure I will try another one.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
10-06-2015, 11:01
Hello everyone!

I went to the R.E.I. garage sale in Jacksonville, FL. yesterday. It was my first one. I highly recommend going to one in your area. Here's the deal's I got. Black diamond spot headlamp $39.95, I got for $11.83 with batteries!!! The tag with yellow dot read "could not open, broke it in process of trying to open it-needed instruction" I opened the battery compartment and it looked like brand new batteries! It was a brand new headlamp. I almost thought REI was playing a joke on us. The second item was an Exped Synmat 7 M, $129.00, I got for $38.83. The tag read "one baffle larger that other". When I got it home I pumped it up using its own air pump and saw that the last baffle/air chamber came apart. Going to see if Exped can fix it.

It started at 9am. I got there at 8:15am and the line was wrapped around the building (approx. 50 yds of people)! I decided to wait in my truck. At 9am the line started moving. I headed towards the door when an REI employee asked if I was there for the garage sale. I said yes and he asked me to reach in a bag and grab a piece of colored paper. Wish I would have grabbed pink! Got grey and had to wait til 11:30am Each color had 30 minutes in the back where they had all the garage sale stuff.

I think you have to know exactly what you are looking for, for this to work and look everywhere. Stuff gets picked up let's say at the table with all the tents and is put down in a random spot. Also I picked up a neoair for $80.83, felt like I was being stalked! I put it down and some lady grabbed it!

Anyway, hope this helps any 1st timers.

I live in Jax....I've been to few garage sales.....never found anything I truly needed!!! Mostly crap to make your pack heavier!!! I was at Rei the Friday before the sale picking up new wildcats....glad I missed it! Just my $.02.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJdreamer
10-06-2015, 19:55
I enjoy them and have gotten some good deals. Our REI just has you wait in line. You do have to know your stuff. Usually I buy a few things that need simple repairs that I know how to do - replace a snap on pants with a button, seal a hole, etc. I know others who have bought kayaks, and at the last one, they brought out a beautiful trail bike late morning, that they forgot to take out earlier. It was goine in 10 seconds. However, if I have a good hike or backpack trip, then I do that, so this weekend, I am skipping the sale for an outdoor adventure.

mcaldwe
10-12-2015, 15:27
I work at REI in NC as a part time job in grad school to fund (and outfit) my outdoor adventures. I will say we have A LOT of good things at our garage sales and smaller attendance (being in the middle of the state). I would recommend anyone buying gear for the first time or buying primary gear to buy NEW from REI. Unless you know your stuff. Buying new allows you to get the appropriate fit of items (like a pack) the ability to test it and the warranty (REI is a year, or more for manufacturer defects, aka not wear and tear). I bought almost all of my car camping or spare gear from garage sales, but buy primary gear new. Be wary of pads, many customers return them with "nothing wrong" knowing good and well there are many pin holes, but that never makes it to the tag...

Take the time to talk to the staff, we know our stuff, love the outdoors, and many of us have spent plenty of time in the woods and are probably longing to be back out there more than most of our customers...

Ktaadn
10-13-2015, 10:20
My wife and I always find great deals on shoes. We just got about $400 worth of Salomons for $90. The tread looks like they haven't even touched carpet. I probably have 10 pairs of shoes from REI Garage sales. My wife probably has a few less than that.

JumpMaster Blaster
10-13-2015, 18:14
I work at REI in NC as a part time job in grad school to fund (and outfit) my outdoor adventures. I will say we have A LOT of good things at our garage sales and smaller attendance (being in the middle of the state). I would recommend anyone buying gear for the first time or buying primary gear to buy NEW from REI. Unless you know your stuff. Buying new allows you to get the appropriate fit of items (like a pack) the ability to test it and the warranty (REI is a year, or more for manufacturer defects, aka not wear and tear). I bought almost all of my car camping or spare gear from garage sales, but buy primary gear new. Be wary of pads, many customers return them with "nothing wrong" knowing good and well there are many pin holes, but that never makes it to the tag...

Take the time to talk to the staff, we know our stuff, love the outdoors, and many of us have spent plenty of time in the woods and are probably longing to be back out there more than most of our customers...

I was at the Cary store Saturday. It was my first garage sale, but I lucked out and got in the first group. It did remind me of Black Friday, people were acting as if REI had stashed $100 bills in random bags...I did score a pair of Salomon Speddcross 3s in my size, in excellent condition though.

I was disappointed at the condition of some of the bags & tents. Like, if you're going to return something, at least TRY to clean it, brush off the mud, etc. Seemed like people were pushing the envelope and taking "advantage" of REI's return policy.

misprof
10-14-2015, 03:31
I miss the REI Garage sales. Nothing compares here. I got my Marmot percip Jacket, carbon hiking poles, hammock and sunglasses for under 60 bucks.

double d
10-14-2015, 10:15
I would suggest using the REI online webpage for ideas of what to look for before shopping around at the garage sale-because sometimes they will post what items will be on their annual garage sale. Its still worth a look if the crowd of suburban soccer moms and dads aren't trying to fight for positioning in line.

Kontiki
10-14-2015, 16:48
So I called customer service at Exped to find out the cost of repairing the Synmat 7 M (little over a week ago). I was told it could not be repaired. The customer service rep asked for me to send pictures of the damaged baffle. I just got a new Synmat 7 M in the mail today!