PDA

View Full Version : Info on William Douglas and Stratton pond shelter

sethd513
10-04-2015, 18:22
Any Info on the William b Douglas shelter and Stratton pond shelter would be great. Info on the area is helpful as well. Hoping to do a section up there and hoping for some good foliage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyjam
10-04-2015, 18:38
Stratton Pond shelter is a nice double decker. Get a camp site by the pond if you can. Sunset on the pond looks like this:32194

bigcranky
10-04-2015, 20:38
The Stratton Pond Shelter and the camp sites are on opposite sides of the pond. There is no camping right near the shelter, just FYI. The shelter itself is large, with bunks for maybe 18-20 people and a very large covered porch with benches and a picnic table.

Slo-go'en
10-04-2015, 20:59
The shelter is a ways from the pond, but it's really nice. Tent sites are limited and if your going this weekend (Columbus and Canadian Thanksgiving) I'd try to show up early if you want a tent site. Stratton pond is a popular area and with the foliage still in good shape and looking like decent weather for the weekend, it's bound to be busy.

Jeff
10-05-2015, 08:33
Douglas shelter is not nearly as busy as Stratton Pond Shelter. Both have pretty reliable water sources.

Due to beaver activity near Stratton Pond Shelter they have created some tent sites much closer to the shelter than the North Shore Tenting area.

sethd513
10-05-2015, 17:27
If I head west on lye brook trail is there any camping/ nice views at bourn pond if I get pushed out of Stratton pond? Is it not even worth it and just continue to Douglas shelter?

And how early is early? I like to get to camp around 330 4 to set up and settle in so are you saying if I want my pick of a view it needs to be like 2 pm?

Slo-go'en
10-05-2015, 18:14
There are no nice views in this area unless you climb Stratton Mountain. Lye brook trail follows a brook in the valley, through the woods. You can not camp "on the pond", the sites are set back a ways to protect the ponds. You can walk over to the shore of the pond, sit on a rock and watch the sun set. There is a tenting area and shelter near Bourn pond which might be a good alternative. I've never visited there as it is a mile off the LT.

All in all, there aren't many views on the AT/LT section and you have to be on a summit to find any. The fire tower on Glastenbury Mountain, the fire tower on Stratton Mountain and the summit of Bromley are the notable views until you get to Killington, but there are some limited views here and there along the LT due to ledges and power line cuts.

As for getting there early, I'd suggest Friday afternoon :)

rafe
10-05-2015, 18:19
There are no nice views in this area unless you climb Stratton Mountain.

And even then, only after climbing the fire tower. :rolleyes: Same deal with Glastonbury.

tdoczi
10-05-2015, 18:39
All in all, there aren't many views on the AT/LT section and you have to be on a summit to find any. The fire tower on Glastenbury Mountain, the fire tower on Stratton Mountain and the summit of Bromley are the notable views until you get to Killington, but there are some limited views here and there along the LT due to ledges and power line cuts.

the name escapes me, but on the descent from stratton into manchester there is a side trail to a viewpoint into the valley that is amazing and more than worth the short trip to get to. also theres a minor summit that is a lot of open rock ledges north of bromley a bit. again, the name escapes me.

sethd513
10-05-2015, 18:41
Yea Glastonbury is awesome but when I was there earlier it was a toilet which was a bummer but awesome sun rise and sun set. We do our best to stay away from ppl when we are out but maybe we'll luck out or just deal.

Any 3 of the options are manage for a quick over night. We always camp Friday night. This is the first time we start on a Saturday so well just have to see how it goes.

sethd513
10-12-2015, 09:40
You guys weren't joking about it being busy at Stratton pond. Luckily we got the best spot and no one camped out near us. It was like car camping at night though wicked loud. But we met a wicked cool couple from Boston and didn't have any complaints in the morning. And lye brook wilderness is awesome. Moose prints bigger then my hand but not moose.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/3403402fea96d6e9ebee75cf553bffdc.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/2b97e3e1c90c063a032e87a85c31fd37.jpg

Slo-go'en
10-12-2015, 09:52
I was wondering how you made. Nice sunset. Glad you found a spot to camp.

sethd513
10-12-2015, 12:23
That's actually the sun rise at 7. I was up for 630 making coffee and that was the best it got. Sun didn't come through the clouds till about 8. We've never camped around people in the woods so it was a little odd but everyone was friendly enough. There was actually a family with a new born tarping on one of the platforms. The kid slept really well.

bigcranky
10-12-2015, 14:25
the name escapes me, but on the descent from stratton into manchester there is a side trail to a viewpoint into the valley that is amazing and more than worth the short trip to get to. also theres a minor summit that is a lot of open rock ledges north of bromley a bit. again, the name escapes me.

I think the first one may be Prospect Rock. Got a nice view from there, through swirling clouds. (https://longtrailhikejournal2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/20140708longtrail5106_web1.jpg)

The second one is either Styles Peak (nice view from some rocks, but small), or the top of Baker peak, after the long rock scramble climb up. Both are nice views, but the Baker Peak view (https://longtrailhikejournal2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/20140710longtrail0306_web.jpg) is exceptional.

Monkeywrench
10-12-2015, 16:34
There is a tenting area and shelter near Bourn pond which might be a good alternative.

There is no shelter at Bourne Pond. Years ago there were two, then there was one, and now there are none.

There are places to tent or hammock.