PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Packing Question

Teatime
12-02-2005, 17:18
I'm going through a process of changing out my heavier gear for lighter weight stuff. One of these changes involves changing from my tried and true Gregory Forester to something under 3 lbs. Okay, so, the Forester has the sleeping bag compartment but none of the lightweight backs do. I just purchased an EMS Mt. Light 20 Sleeping Bag (2 lbs.), which comes with a compression stuff sack. This sack seems a little heavy to me and I would prefer not to use it. How do you folks pack your sleeping bags? Should I just stuff into a plastic bag at the bottom of the pack and let my gear compress it or what? It is worth noting that I have knocked off 2 lbs already just by getting a lighter sleeping bag and pad. I went with the Thermarest Pro-Lite 4 Regular. I know, I'm a wimp. Thing is, I sleep poorly when on the trail and I'm more concerned about getting a good nights rest than having the lightest pad available. I was using a 3/4 length Standard Thermarest. I have stout, heavy legs and if I don't have some good padding under them, it is very uncomfortable. I have read on WB to put your clothes, etc. under your legs. Dude, you folks have not seen my legs, have you?!:eek: I even tried adding a 1/4 length of Z-Rest pad under my legs. The poor Z-Rest was completely overwhelmed by my tree trunks! Though I have lost almost 30 lbs. over the past 4 months, my legs are almost as big as ever and running every day hasn't made them any smaller. Think Earl Campbell's legs.:dance

Footslogger
12-02-2005, 17:37
[quote=Teatime]I'm going through a process of changing out my heavier gear for lighter weight stuff. One of these changes involves changing from my tried and true Gregory Forester to something under 3 lbs. Okay, so, the Forester has the sleeping bag compartment but none of the lightweight backs do. I just purchased an EMS Mt. Light 20 Sleeping Bag (2 lbs.), which comes with a compression stuff sack. This sack seems a little heavy to me and I would prefer not to use it. How do you folks pack your sleeping bags?
===============================
I've got roughly the same sized bag. I use a 6" x 15" silnylon stuff sack. Just cram the bag into the sack and lay it horizontally at the bottom of your pack. Just know that you shouldn't store it that way. When ever you get the chance take it out of the tiny stuff sack and let it loft up to retain it's comfort characteristics.

'Slogger

soulrebel
12-02-2005, 19:40
I came across this at rei this week. $15 ultrasil-nylon dry bag. I, of course, waited a few days only to return and plop down the monies...
6.5x18, 8L, 1.1oz used to stuff a 30d down bag--this is about 2 sizes up from the one that came w/ it (2.5oz). It fits nicely across the bottom of my granitegear.
We tried using it as a pillow, but the weight of my egghead slowly caused it to lose air.

http://www.seatosummitusa.com/products/usdrysacks.php

TDale
12-02-2005, 20:50
I put a trash compactor bag in the pack the my bag and clothes in that, twisting down the top after compressing to have a pretty waterproof package in the bottom of my Golite Gust. Works real well.

hikerjohnd
12-02-2005, 22:28
I don't have a really good reason why, but I always use the stuff sack my sleeping bag comes with. I just figure it is the right size for the bag and when lined with a kitchen garbage bag, it is just as watertight as anything else I could buy.

MarcnNJ
12-03-2005, 10:19
I bought some of those Sea to Summit Dry bags.....im really happy with them....i bought an array of sizes and colors and will use them exclusively.

fiddlehead
12-03-2005, 17:53
I would get a sil-nylong stuff sack a bit smaller than the one that came with your bag and just stuff it in there. I've been doing that for years with no problems. BUt, when i'm hiking on the AT (or east coast) i also add a plastic bag from the grocers inside the sil nylon bag for extra waterproofing. Things will get wet on the AT if you have a wet year. and most of them are.

k4kam
12-03-2005, 21:32
I have a North Face "Long" 20-degree bag (I'm 6'4" tall). When the bag is stuffed in the North Face sack, the combination is as flexible as a small tree trunk. Then it won't fit well in the backpack (Mystery Ranch 'Works Groove').

I was shown during a recent backpack check at Mountain Crossings, Neel's Gap, GA., that a smaller stuff sack can complicate things - use a larger sack that allows for less compression of the sleeping bag, push the stuff sack and bag into the pack from the top (vertically), then twist the stuff sack and bag horizontally in the pack. The larger stuff sack allows the bag to fill in to the contours of the pack, filling more efficiently.

Do the same thing with a sack for your tent, a third sack for clothes, another for food, and a fifth for personal miscellaneous stuff. Each one goes in vertically, than is twisted horizontally in the pack. Lighter sacks on the bottom, heavier on top.

Darned if it didn't work like a charm. Even distributed the weight better!

DLFrost
12-04-2005, 16:37
I'm going through a process of changing out my heavier gear for lighter weight stuff. {...} How do you folks pack your sleeping bags?
When I lightened up I replaced the compression stuffsack & garbage bag combo with Outdoor Research Hydroseal sacks. These are a roll-down-top type bag, like a drybag but lighter. The extra sleeve length makes it a lot easier to get the sleeping bag into the sack, after which you can (com)press it down the rest of the way. (I'm a bit wary of trusting my down bags to sylny...)

Doug Frost