PDA

View Full Version : How do you protect and carry your maps?

hyperjo
10-04-2015, 20:01
Rather than carry a stack of maps, I photocopied just the portions of the ATC maps I need for my section hike next week. In addition, I photocopied only the pages I'll need from the guidebook I'm using. These won't be waterproof so I was looking for a strategy for carrying them so they won't fall apart if it rains or just from wear and tear. I plan to use them as supplemental firestarter as I finish with them, so I don't want to laminate them.

If they were smaller, I'd put them in a gallon sized ziploc bag, but each one is 11X14. I'll probably end up using the ziploc method and folding them with the current stretch facing out, but this doesn't help with the pages from the guide book. And I don't want to be opening the ziploc and closing it constantly.

How do other people manage their maps? Do people just cut up their expensive ATC maps?

Thanks!

Harmless
10-04-2015, 20:43
If you can get this in time for your trip, it will work: http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Weather-Copier-25-Pack/dp/B000KEJX90/ref=sr_1_2

Office Depot or Staples might have it locally. It is great stuff.

bigcranky
10-04-2015, 20:47
I fold the map so it faces out on one side of the ziploc, and the guidebook page so it faces out on the other. Just flip over the ziploc to read either one.

Also, I like taking notes on the guidebook pages and the maps, so I don't use them for firestarter.

rafe
10-04-2015, 21:03
You can spray the paper maps with Krylon to give them some water resistance.

jefals
10-04-2015, 21:17
Ok, but how do you carry them?
I have about 14 pages of a trail description, talking about "now the trail veers slightly south and you'll find a Vista point overlooking..."
So a very complete description of the whole trail. Would you even take something like this along? It's useless if it's in the backpack, and I don't want it in my hands unless I'm looking at it.
On the one hand, I'd like to take it -- but how? The only thing I can figure is an over-the-shoulder bag. But I think it's probably more trouble than its worth. .

hyperjo
10-04-2015, 21:32
For carrying, my thinking is that I'd have each day's map/guide book pages in a ziploc that I stuff in the cargo pocket of my hiking pants. Keep the rest in a second ziploc in my backpack. But I would love to hear other suggestions because my guidebook pages are big enough (enlarged so I don't have to take reading glasses) that not all three pages can be visible at once. The ziploc method will require some opening and turning pages. Sorta wish I printed on waterproof paper, but it's too expensive and I don't think Kinko's has it.

hyperjo
10-04-2015, 21:34
Harmless, I will look into that for my next trip. Will non-waterproof ink run? I'm limited to what kinko's offers, I'm afraid.

rafe
10-04-2015, 21:36
First off, I hardly ever take, and have little need for the detailed trail descriptions. I mostly need the critical waypoints -- road crossings, water, streams, shelters, campsites, summits, trail junctions, etc.

So to the extent I carry paper at all it's usually a dozen small sheets or less. I carry them in a Ziploc bag -- sometimes I used the bags that came with the ATC maps I bought long ago.

Another option these days is to leave the paper at home and carry PDFs and or JPGs on an iPhone or smartphone. But if you're going to rely on electronics, that introduces other risks. Better have backup power if you're going that route.

jefals
10-04-2015, 22:53
First off, I hardly ever take, and have little need for the detailed trail descriptions. I mostly need the critical waypoints -- road crossings, water, streams, shelters, campsites, summits, trail junctions, etc.

So to the extent I carry paper at all it's usually a dozen small sheets or less. I carry them in a Ziploc bag -- sometimes I used the bags that came with the ATC maps I bought long ago.

Another option these days is to leave the paper at home and carry PDFs and or JPGs on an iPhone or smartphone. But if you're going to rely on electronics, that introduces other risks. Better have backup power if you're going that route.
I was thinking exactly that, re. the files on the phone, and the drain on the battery. I bought a couple extra batteries, but mainly for safety to be sure I could use the GPS. Couldn't believe how cheap those batteries are, btw. SAMSUNG 5, they are maybe 6 or 7 bucks each. I'll probably buy 2 or 3 more and leave the paper at home

Traveler
10-05-2015, 07:06
Make a copy of your map(s), then mark the map(s) with description information you want, like mark a red X where a vista should be, a campsite, road crossing information (town info, etc), or other feature and leave the description pages at home. Fold the map(s) and keep them all in a large zip lock bag in the pack with the map of the day in a pocket in a separate zip lock baggie.

slbirdnerd
10-05-2015, 12:56
On the AT the only thing I refer to during the day is pages from The AT Guide, which I reduced and fit perfectly into a heavy duty zippy bag they sell at REI. (Buy the PDF of the book, print the pages you need 2-up to a letter-sized page, trim the sides, throw a couple staples in the top so it's like a flip chart, fold it in half with the page you need for the day visible through both sides of the zippy bag, there ya go.)

I do carry an actual map for the section I'm on, just in case I need it or want to look at it in camp, but I keep it in my dry bag in my pack.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 13:15
Top loading light weight non glare clear plastic sheet protectors without tabs or hole punches, and, what I consider important for weather and map protection, a 1/8" - 1/4" stiff foldable plastic flap that covers the slit where you insert the maps. Reusable, but I often throw an occasional new one in resupply boxes with my fresh new bunch maps. I get mine at Office Depot or Staples usually in bundles of 10 or 20 sheet protectors.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 13:19
Oh forgot. This is what I do with maps I've laser printed onto 8.5" x11" usually NON WP paper ie: doesn't bleed even when wet. Overwhelmingly, my bought foldable pricier already printed maps are printed on WP tear resistant paper.

rocketsocks
10-05-2015, 14:10
https://ia700809.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/17/items/milmanual-fm-3-25.26-map-reading-and-land-navigation/fm_3-25.26_map_reading_and_land_navigation_jp2.zip&file=fm_3-25.26_map_reading_and_land_navigation_jp2/fm_3-25.26_map_reading_and_land_navigation_0189.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0

FarmerChef
10-05-2015, 14:26
I do carry actual maps on my hikes but they stay in my pack unless I get lost or really want to know what distant mountaintop I'm looking at. They're accessible in a back or side pocket of my pack so I don't have to dig for them but that's about it on the maps.

However, I do carry the AT guide and often have several pages for a long section hike. If I were doing a thru I would mail ahead the rest of the book or put it in a bounce box, etc. I place the 1st half of the day on one side of the deck and the second half on the opposite side, with the remaining pages in between those two. I then put the whole sandwich inside the same plastic bag the looseleaf version of the ATG is sold in. A ziploc bag works just as well. Since I typically do 18-20 miles per day it often spans more than one page and all I have to do is start on one page and flip the whole thing over when I'm ready. Oh and the packet stays in my shorts pocket until I need it.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 14:54
Top loading light weight non glare clear plastic sheet protectors without tabs or hole punches, and, what I consider important for weather and map protection, a 1/8" - 1/4" stiff foldable plastic flap that covers the slit where you insert the maps. Reusable, but I often throw an occasional new one in resupply boxes with my fresh new bunch maps. I get mine at Office Depot or Staples usually in bundles of 10 or 20 sheet protectors.

Same sheet protectors are also available in 8.5" x 14". For me, and IMO, I would not carry unfolded 11"x14" maps. Fold or reduce the size of the maps. When I have many maps, which I typically do, I number them and place corresponding adjacent maps, one on each sideof the sheet protector, making it easier to follow along seamlessly on the maps by simply turning over the sheet protector and not exposing th maps to weather as frequently. I do like writing notes in WP ink on my maps too. I find the notes directly on the maps to be of extreme help for me and if I should provide them for others.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 14:56
I'm able to clearly read small maps with tiny details either with the magnifier on my base plate compass or if I have reading glasses along.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2015, 15:01
I use three techniques:
** Carry the entire map.
** Copy at home portions of the map I need; make multiple copies in case they get wet.
** Use your camera to fotog various sections of your maps and zoom the pics when out in the field. See below example:

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/SNOWBIRD-PRETRIP/i-qZqspbJ/0/L/CABIN%20TRIP%202015%20MISC%20032-L.jpg
I took this pic of the entire Snowbird wilderness in NC and can zoom on any trail in particular for a closer look.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 15:05
I do carry actual maps on my hikes but they stay in my pack unless I get lost or really want to know what distant mountaintop I'm looking at. They're accessible in a back or side pocket of my pack so I don't have to dig for them but that's about it on the maps.

However, I do carry the AT guide and often have several pages for a long section hike. If I were doing a thru I would mail ahead the rest of the book or put it in a bounce box, etc. I place the 1st half of the day on one side of the deck and the second half on the opposite side, with the remaining pages in between those two. I then put the whole sandwich inside the same plastic bag the looseleaf version of the ATG is sold in. A ziploc bag works just as well. Since I typically do 18-20 miles per day it often spans more than one page and all I have to do is start on one page and flip the whole thing over when I'm ready. Oh and the packet stays in my shorts pocket until I need it.

I do something similar. The bulk of my topos are in a separate sheet protector I leave safely stored flat in my backpack. Since I'm typically avg 22-35 MPD all it takes is two sheets of 8.5"x11" - topos printed on decent bleed through proof paper printed front and back for each days hiking that is stored close at had in a side bungeed pocket I can reach on the go. Reading glasses or compass is around my neck under my shirt on a lanyard.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 15:10
What do you need a map for Tipi? You know the areas you've hiked extensively so well it should be relabeled the Tip Walter Wilderness. :p

Five Tango
10-05-2015, 18:51
In the front pack of my Aarn Load Limo I keep a water resistant map in a ziplock plus the page du jour from AWOL's AT Guide in an approach plate protector available from Sporty's Pilot Shop.Fits perfectly.If the little binder holes are an issue for you there is always Scotch tape.95 cents per copy and you can get several pages in one. https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/quick-release-chart-protectors-faa.html

Harmless
10-06-2015, 21:58
Re: Ink running - Modern laser printers don't actually use ink. They use "toner," which is black colored powder, and they "fuse" (meaning melt) it onto the page. It is pretty close to waterproof.

Dogwood
10-06-2015, 22:11
Re: Ink running - Modern laser printers don't actually use ink. They use "toner," which is black colored powder, and they "fuse" (meaning melt) it onto the page. It is pretty close to waterproof.

Thank you for noting this. I've had one stack of laser printed maps printed on tear resistant paper blow into a mountain tarn. No bleed. No tears. Dried out completely laying flat stacked neatly without even so much as a dog ear at the corners like it never happened in 20 mins. Depending on paper quality printed on if it gets wet it can disintegrate /tear easily.