PDA

View Full Version : No cook dinner ideas

hikenow
10-04-2015, 21:24
Hi all,

Hoping to get some new ideas for an occasional no cook dinner. I plan to carry a stove, but know that every now and then I may pull up at a campsite with no interest in cooking dinner (e.g., it is late and raining like crazy). Anyone have any favorite go-tos in these types of situations... something very quick and easy, but better than just eating a bar or related item?

Thanks all!
Rodney

TNhiker
10-04-2015, 21:53
i usually pack a sandwich for lunch..................

The Phoenix
10-04-2015, 23:31
I never cook on the trail, for what you are describing, I got with some summer sausage, cheese, hot sauce on a tortilla wrap... or one of the tuna pouch things with some mayo on a wrap. Hard to go wrong with a pb&j, pb&honey, or just a ton of peanut butter! If it's cold enough (fall/winter)... I'll take hummus out with me, which always goes well with some summer sausage on a wrap.

Most people stick their noses up at it, but those spam singles are pretty dang tasty. Don't knock the spam until ya try the spam

Deadeye
10-04-2015, 23:42
Apple & cheese makes a good no-cook meal, and sometimes I have a pack a MRE for a lazy meal.

Vegan Packer
10-05-2015, 00:01
I dehydrate a hummus variation, and that only requires cold water to rehydrate at camp.

daddytwosticks
10-05-2015, 07:15
I'll second tortilla wraps. Use them for just about anything. :)

garlic08
10-05-2015, 09:07
More to the point of the OP, some dinner items that are normally cooked but can be eaten cold are instant mashed potatoes, ramen, and couscous. Rolled oats are parboiled in processing and don't have to be cooked, either. They can be soaked in water with or without powdered milk for a few minutes. Though not normally eaten for dinner, they certainly can be.

Packing a few meals like that is also a good idea if you your stove breaks or you run out of fuel.