PDA

View Full Version : Hiking vs Football on Sundays

The Phoenix
10-04-2015, 21:37
Am I the only one that struggles to hike in the fall on Sundays? Embarrassingly, I planned my 2009 thru-hike around making it into town to watch my Carolina Panthers on Sunday... I was not consistent with this plan, but when it was possible, I would often plan a big mile day or a nero/zero/double zero to watch my team. They were pretty bad in 09, which made it easier to avoid the burden of finding a sports bar in rural Appalachia... but present day, they are 4-0 and pulling a few rabbits outta their hat along the way.

I am only going for a 5 week section hike starting Wednesday, and I really don't want to be pulling out my iphone to check in on sports, news, etc... and I certainly don't want to pull myself off the trail for a day or two to watch any games... yet... once Sunday comes around my inner-football junkie starts to take over:confused:

Is this an exclusive Phoenix problem? Can anyone relate? Are any curmudgeons going to scold me for posting such a topic on their site?

My heart picks the great outdoors over football, hence I quit my job as a football scout in May, but it's tough to avoid watching on the weekends. Football anonymous? Mind over matter? Quit my complaining?

Lone Wolf
10-04-2015, 21:40
i used to time my hikes to be in gatlinburg for the Masters tournament. all 4 days

OCDave
10-04-2015, 23:11
I start to love football near the end of autumn when the days are gloomier and it gets dark mid-way through the second game on Sunday. When the days are still warm and sunny, I catch highlights after the fact. For me, there are too few great weekends to waste September or October afternoons inside. Perhaps If I loved the game enough to have considered it a carreer path, I'd see things differently.

Traveler
10-05-2015, 06:58
"Choose wisely" Master Po aka Kenny Rodgers

capehiker
10-05-2015, 09:23
I used to but after 23 years in the military and being gone all the time, missing a sunday game doesn't phase me. I still love football but I've diversified my weekend social portfolio.

squeezebox
10-05-2015, 10:42
I watched a football game once. So you've got my answer.
But how to watch the Tour de France in July might be a problem especially with no reruns.

tiptoe
10-05-2015, 11:14
Easy choice for me. I pulled the plug on the TV years ago and don't miss it at all. Full disclosure: I have been known to watch World Cup soccer while hiking the AT. That's an entirely different matter, of course.

Berserker
10-05-2015, 12:12
Yeah, I feel ya man, I love football both on Saturdays (Clemson) and Sundays (Panthers). It used to be a big problem for me, but then a lovely device was invented...the DVR. Now I just "tape" (that's a term for all you old farts like me) the games and watch 'em when I get back.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 12:35
Easy choice for me. I pulled the plug on the TV years ago and don't miss it at all. Full disclosure: I have been known to watch World Cup soccer while hiking the AT. That's an entirely different matter, of course.

I don't even play or know all the rules of soccer but World Cup Soccer is what I'd rather watch too. World Cup is much more entertaining without all the lengthy breaks in play time, and without commercial break aways until half time, with the BEST supremely hard core conditioned world class soccer(FOOTBALL) athletes of each Nation ferociously contending on the field. The NFL is so overly commercialized and it takes 3 1/2 hrs on avg to watch 4 x 15 min quarters with endless sports over analysis, T&A/car/alcohol/food, etc commercials and even then with the clock running so much more is going on than watching actual plays. So, what do you get... maybe 35-40 mins of actual plays to watch? What a waste of ideal beautiful autumn hiking weather and seasonal highlights on the east coast. If I was to be a BIG NFL fan would tape the game and remove all the commercials(devices do this for you) and half time crap reducing my viewing time to say about 6o mins. The NFL progaming and OVER THE TOP endless analysis an opining has turned it into a male version of a day time soap opera.

Kind of an easy call Phoenix. 1) tape the games; watch later 2) live stream or watch on tape delay from on the trail with a small device 3) check out the whole game or highlight reel at computer in town resupply stops 4) move to Hawaii and watch your game on TV where 1 p.m. kick off times on the east coast are 7 a.m. in Hawaii. Took some getting used to watching live NFL games on Sunday morning at 7 a.m. drinking Kona coffee and eating a guava scone and papaya rather than a beer and wings

Smoky Spoon
10-05-2015, 13:13
We have the football network. We watch it then and it is about an hour long. No commercials, no constant jabbering, just football lke it is supposed to be. Our friends know the rules, no one calls us with game results. Works great. And if I miss a game due to being out for a longer time it still plays for several weeks.

I don't even play or know all the rules of soccer but World Cup Soccer is what I'd rather watch too. World Cup is much more entertaining without all the lengthy breaks in play time, and without commercial break aways until half time, with the BEST supremely hard core conditioned world class soccer(FOOTBALL) athletes of each Nation ferociously contending on the field. The NFL is so overly commercialized and it takes 3 1/2 hrs on avg to watch 4 x 15 min quarters with endless sports over analysis, T&A/car/alcohol/food, etc commercials and even then with the clock running so much more is going on than watching actual plays. So, what do you get... maybe 35-40 mins of actual plays to watch? What a waste of ideal beautiful autumn hiking weather and seasonal highlights on the east coast. If I was to be a BIG NFL fan would tape the game and remove all the commercials(devices do this for you) and half time crap reducing my viewing time to say about 6o mins. The NFL progaming and OVER THE TOP endless analysis an opining has turned it into a male version of a day time soap opera.

Kind of an easy call Phoenix. 1) tape the games; watch later 2) live stream or watch on tape delay from on the trail with a small device 3) check out the whole game or highlight reel at computer in town resupply stops 4) move to Hawaii and watch your game on TV where 1 p.m. kick off times on the east coast are 7 a.m. in Hawaii. Took some getting used to watching live NFL games on Sunday morning at 7 a.m. drinking Kona coffee and eating a guava scone and papaya rather than a beer and wings

mikec
10-05-2015, 14:03
If you are near where your home team plays on a given game day just take a small radio with you and listen while you are hiking. If you are not close to your home team then you may be out of luck.

Stubby
10-05-2015, 14:08
For me, its Saturdays, not Sundays... but, I don't get to hike a section very often. At my current rate I'll finish when I'm 108. Sigh.

For me, its easy. I love football, but I jump at the chance to hike.

I think of it as spending more time in the 3D world, off my phone and computer and TV. I'm happier there.

But, I know that I'll still catch most of the games I care about, so its not much of a sacrifice.

rocketsocks
10-05-2015, 14:22
get a radio

Traveler
10-05-2015, 14:24
with earphones....

soumodeler
10-05-2015, 15:05
with earphones....

Yes. Please don't be that person who thinks everyone wants to listen to your radio/phone/etc.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 15:15
Yes. Please don't be that person who thinks everyone wants to listen to your radio/phone/etc.

AMEN! And, amen.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2015, 15:19
NEVER LET A FOOTBALL GAME INTERFERE WITH YOUR BACKPACKING. Simple rule to live by.

I was out once on February 1, 2009 during the Super Bowl and had my little radio with me and tried to listen to the game but it was confounded with a thousand commercials. From my Trail Journal---

THE SUPER BOWL IS ON!!
Get your headphones jacked in and your loins girded, here comes the commercial-gorged Super Bowl! The followng are real-time ads inserted into the commentary:

**The Red Zone is presented by Heinz.
**Replay Review sponsored by Barbasol.
**Subway sponsored commentary by Boomer and Marv.
**Drive Summary presented by Ford.
**Rolaids Moment(whatever this is).
**We are inside the Heinz Red Zone.
**Subway: Eat Fresh.
**For every touchdown scored: Remax.
**Drive Summary presented by Part-Plus Auto Plus.
**Remax touchdown!
**Outstanding play of the game presented by Remax.
**Half time report presented by Amtrak.
**New York Life Insurance Company presents the Two Minute Warning.
**Super Bowl MVP presented by Cadillac.

I can't make this crap up."

So, who can listen to such detritus?

Six years later I was on another winter trip and wrote this rant on January 31, 2015:

SUPER BOWL IN THE WOODS
Never allow a football game or even the super bowl to keep you at home when you have the chance to go backpacking. I'll listen to it on the radio and hope the Patriots lose and not give a flip about the commercials or seeing the madness on TV. The church of nature is a million times more preferable than the religious cult of televised entertainment and sports. Run screaming from Tom Brady and Coach Belichick and/or the Seahawks and let Miss Nature grab your balls and deflate them to nothing on a trail while carrying incredible weights. Remember, she can grab deflated balls easier and throw them farther so send me in coach.

Both football players and backpackers have a short professional career and lifespan so as a backpacker get out as much as possible while in your playing prime before Miss Nature takes your knees and lungs and legs away. Hump the ruck as much as you can and play thru the pain. Miss Nature will write you a big fat paycheck every year and all you have to do is show up and go.

rafe
10-05-2015, 15:32
This thread makes me chuckle. I don't think I've ever watched a baseball or football game on TV for more than a few minutes or seconds at a time, and that's usually by accident, while channel surfing.

I confess to watching a few basketball games back in the mid 1980s when the Celtics were in their heyday.

Uncle Joe
10-05-2015, 15:55
Given all the cheating scandals of late, I'm let involved in football this year. I am following it, though. I can't kick it completely but it's not at all going to stop me from hiking. I'm actually turning my attention to college more lately but again, hiking/biking/paddling is the priority.

DavidNH
10-05-2015, 15:57
Remember, Tom Brady will throw many more TD passes in coming weeks if you miss the game this week.

AlyontheAT2016
10-05-2015, 16:01
I've never cared for football, and I never will.

That said, if I really wanted to watch grown men beat each other up over a ball, I'd watch rugby.

swisscross
10-05-2015, 16:18
The last pro game I watched was the Super Bowl that Tampa won in 2002.

Like LW I watch the masters. I also watch the US Open but not any other golf.

I too watch the TDF.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 17:47
As always never at a loss for humorous entertainment Tipi. LOL.

chrisj1567
10-05-2015, 18:50
The only good football is palyed on staurdays

egilbe
10-05-2015, 18:59
Since the Nfl is the only sport I watch, my Sunday hikes are suspended until after the Super Bowl. I hike the rest of the weekends during the year and when I get a chance. Sunday's are reserved for the NFL

Lone Wolf
10-05-2015, 19:24
NFL (national felons league)

squeezebox
10-05-2015, 21:16
Is Tom Brady the player who tried to lie about taking steroids?
Are they still letting him play after such blatant drug use??
Cycling stopped that kind of crap 30 years ago.

Lone Wolf
10-05-2015, 21:19

naw. he raised fightin' dogs

rocketsocks
10-05-2015, 21:55
naw. he raised fightin' dogs
I thought he was the one who punched his wife in the elevator.

Traveler
10-06-2015, 07:01
Are they still letting him play after such blatant drug use??
Cycling stopped that kind of crap 30 years ago.

Well, cycling tried to stop that stuff, cheating enterprises got more sophisticated as Mr. Armstrong can attest. Though much like Mr. Armstrong, Brady and the Patriots don't need to cheat to win given their talents but apparently cannot stop the culture of cheating that exists under the head coach. Essentially lying when the truth would suffice.

Given that marvelous lesson in human nature, the trail looks better on Sundays now than ever!

Lnj
10-06-2015, 11:56
NFL (national felons league)

LOL!!!!! Sad but true.

Hangfire
10-06-2015, 12:00
It's still too early in the season to worry about your team. I really had no choice as I was way to busy trying to keep on trail and finish on time and even in the event I was in town they sure as heck wouldn't be showing a Chargers game out east. When all was said and done my team was 4-1 with me being on trail and not paying attention, then when I got home they lost 5 of their next 7 games...thanks team. Don't stress about it, enjoy the trail, your team will be there when you get back just in time to break your heart.

bigcranky
10-06-2015, 12:33
I watched a football game once. So you've got my answer.
But how to watch the Tour de France in July might be a problem especially with no reruns.

Yeah, that was the one thing that hurt when we did our Long Trail E2E last summer.

Moosling
10-06-2015, 16:27
Football is overrated Ice Hockey is where it's at.

Different Socks
10-06-2015, 17:05
For me, I could never understand why anyone would spend a beauty day inside watching football instead of outside experiencing what the day had to offer. I can always watch the highlights later.

rocketsocks
10-06-2015, 17:37
For me, I could never understand why anyone would spend a beauty day inside watching football instead of outside experiencing what the day had to offer. I can always watch the highlights later.
I suppose the same could be said about hangin out online.

shakey_snake
10-06-2015, 17:46
Browns fan, here. Hiking on Sundays is awesome.

The Phoenix
10-06-2015, 18:03
Browns fan, here. Hiking on Sundays is awesome.

LOL. My dad is a life long Browns fan... it's brutal. We also pull for the Pittsburgh Pirates, which has had a reverse of fortunes of late, but typically pretty painful. Sunday was the epitome of the Cleveland Browns.

JaketheFake
10-06-2015, 18:07
I like football. It was fun to play and fun to watch. That being said I gave up watching football for hunting. Could you do both... sure, but now the only football I watch is during playoffs when hunting season is over and that is if there is nothing else to do.

Theosus
10-06-2015, 18:39
I've watched a few football games, mainly with family members that wanted to pull for their team. But I never really got into watching grown men fight over balls of any sort, be they of the base, foot, soccer, or basket type. Maybe because I was an unathletic doofy kid... I don't know. I'll second the idea of a radio if you're that into it. What about a DVR? The commercials just kill it for me. I remember checking the score on a Clemson game once on the radio while driving along, and they said the sky was a "Lenscrafters clear blue" or some kind of crap. Even the weather was being sponsored... If it was raining would it have been "sprinkling like a RainBird Lawn Sprinkler System"? Hot as a "bernz-o-matic propane torch"?

kickatree
10-06-2015, 19:29
Nah. Remember the addage hike your own hike. A hiker wants what a hiker wants.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Heliotrope
10-06-2015, 21:02
Football anonymous sounds right. Admit you have a problem, lol! We can definitely have other passions besides hiking. When I
am hiking I usually forget about everything else until I return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different Socks
10-06-2015, 21:19
I suppose the same could be said about hangin out online.

I only "appear" to hang out online when I am home. I do things that need to be done, tyoe notes, write and use pc/online to communicate with all that I know. One thing I don't do is take electronics with me except a camera and tunes--pocket digital and Zune.

2NewKnees
10-07-2015, 20:43
I'm a HS football coach and football junkie. It is tough for me to hike on weekends in the fall until my season is over. My routine now is to go Sunday mornings since we don't go to church. I usually make it home in time for the early game but only if my Steelers are on! When I have a bye I try to go backpacking if the weather is good. Or not. DVR's are great for me. Hike on and watch it later in the off season!

rocketsocks
10-07-2015, 20:53
I only "appear" to hang out online when I am home. I do things that need to be done, tyoe notes, write and use pc/online to communicate with all that I know. One thing I don't do is take electronics with me except a camera and tunes--pocket digital and Zune.
Yup, me too. :D

...walks during football season are directly proportional to how well my team is doing.

cycle003
10-08-2015, 10:46
I'm kinda surprised by the number of people here who care nothing for football. I certainly understand how someone could put more emphasis on getting out and enjoying a nice day over watching TV, but pretty much every guy I know around here has some interest in football.

cycle003
10-08-2015, 10:47
Oh, and I really like football, especially college (Go Gators), but I miss quite a few games early in the season to paddle, hike and camp.

rafe
10-08-2015, 11:07
I'm kinda surprised by the number of people here who care nothing for football. I certainly understand how someone could put more emphasis on getting out and enjoying a nice day over watching TV, but pretty much every guy I know around here has some interest in football.

I've never watched a pro football game from beginning to end. I think in high school I may have witnessed a game or two. It all seems the height of foolishness, to me. And I hear tell my "home team" are really something, but I could care less. I don't get the fascination with pro and competitive sports.

rocketsocks
10-08-2015, 16:21
Competitive sporting events have been around since the beginning of recorded history. Romans had the coliseum and games (Olympic wrestling) the Mayans had a form of soccer (football with a gum rubber composition) and the Tarahumara had running...Competition is nothing new to man, it's part of our make-up and spirit, don't give that away.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LQ3KLOrNu8U/TTQnSU8HgGI/AAAAAAAAAAM/okqdsN1su-I/s1600/040723_ancient_olympics_hmed_3p.hmedium.jpg https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M3b4164137a053ae3a88fbc85c55039ffo0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0 https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Md63747ff1a8735b91683be85ec0626f5H0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

rafe
10-08-2015, 16:26
Religion is as old as human history too, that doesn't make it rational.

Tipi Walter
10-08-2015, 17:31
It's taken me decades to realize that both college and pro football in large part supports a huge American gambling addiction---56 million Americans alone gamble on fantasy football.

coastwatcher42
10-12-2015, 04:44
Football? What's football?

wormer
10-12-2015, 08:31
You can do both. I hiked the Baxter Park AT and got home in time to watch 3 quarters of the Patriots & Cowboys game yesterday. I did it by being at the gate at 6am and finishing by noon. HYOH

Tipi Walter
10-12-2015, 09:43
You can do both. I hiked the Baxter Park AT and got home in time to watch 3 quarters of the Patriots & Cowboys game yesterday. I did it by being at the gate at 6am and finishing by noon. HYOH

This is one of the saddest posts I ever read.:(

Moosling
10-12-2015, 11:40
The NFL has become Flag football anyway who cares.

Theosus
10-12-2015, 19:47
It's taken me decades to realize that both college and pro football in large part supports a huge American gambling addiction---56 million Americans alone gamble on fantasy football.

I dind't realize until recently (like this year) that fantasy football was something people gambled on. I just thought it was like Dungeons and Dragons for people that couldn't keep up with a bag of dice.

I'm not against competitive sports, they just don't hold much thrill for me in general, except for the winter olympics. I love watching the skiers and the sled/luge people. Sliding down an icy chute at 80mph seems pretty thrilling to me, or skiing down the side of a mountain faster than I drive my car on I-20. And of course there's the spectacular wipeouts.

rafe
10-12-2015, 19:49

I recall a line from A Walk in the Woods (the book, not the movie) -- something like, "One does not walk the Appalachian Trail and come home and mow the lawn."

goatee
10-12-2015, 20:27
Stay home watch the game= less hikers.Yes this is a good idea.

BirdBrain
10-25-2015, 09:26
This Pats fan is worried for the first time this year. Jets have a much improved team. Their biggest asset is that they got rid of Rex. Buffalo is enjoying his skill set now. Should be a good game. Hopefully Revis takes LaFell and that opens up the slot. Hopefully we can slow the run.

Lyle
10-25-2015, 10:16
No problem at all for me. I have refused to give any of my time or money to the over paid, mentally adolescent boys who play professional sports for a couple of decades now. Spectator sports play zero role in my planning of anything.

Traveler
10-25-2015, 15:32
This Pats fan is worried for the first time this year. Jets have a much improved team. Their biggest asset is that they got rid of Rex. Buffalo is enjoying his skill set now. Should be a good game. Hopefully Revis takes LaFell and that opens up the slot. Hopefully we can slow the run.

Curious what the Pats will do to cheat this year. Seems Belichick encourages that culture, but I don't need to watch it, it will be in newspapers soon anyway.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2015, 16:04
30 - 20 Pats. 1:13 to go

rocketsocks
10-25-2015, 19:51
Dallas Blows!

rocketsocks
10-25-2015, 19:52
...shoulda went hikin' :mad:

The Phoenix
11-28-2015, 11:45
In 2009, I thru-hiked in a Carolina Panthers jersey... nobody really cared... the Panthers were pretty mediocre. Had I worn that jersey during my recent section hike, it would have been a different story! There was a lot of football chatter on the trail this year. Mainly Clemson & Alabama fans out & about...

A random tidbit about that jersey is... the player, Jon Beason (now on the NY Giants), ended up corresponding with me a little bit after my hike & signed a few pictures of me on the AT, wearing his jersey. For a former All-Pro star athlete, I always thought that was pretty cool.

I managed to watch a few Panthers and Utah Ute games during my hike, but I tried to focus on my hike. I only allowed myself to turn on my phone and read the news/sports once a week. The Utes faded, but the Panthers seem pretty legit. We shall see. If they make the Super Bowl, I'll probably have to head out that way to root em on. Maybe I can work in a Mt Shasta hike or something:confused:

colorado_rob
11-28-2015, 12:15
I sure enjoy watching the Broncos, except when they perpetually lose to those damn Pats.... but for me and mine it's a no brainer: Weekend outdoor fun always takes precedence. Luckily (as Tipi points out) many times we're off trail in time watch most of the game in a cozy bar near the trailheads, sipping our Colorado microbrews! A Perfect Sunday. Like this Sunday WOULD be except they are playing those Pats.... Yikes. At least the game is late so we'll catch the whole game after our hike.

Finally: RIP Peyton. Great career! Glad to have you here for your last few years.

Edit: Actually, I just looked it up: The Denver Broncos are 28-21 against the Patriots all-time. But 4-6 in the last 10 years. Probably a winning record against the Pats in the Elway years.

johnnybgood
11-28-2015, 12:35
Glad to say I gave up caring about pro football many moons ago. March Madness even takes a backseat to hiking .

egilbe
11-28-2015, 21:28
I sure enjoy watching the Broncos, except when they perpetually lose to those damn Pats.... but for me and mine it's a no brainer: Weekend outdoor fun always takes precedence. Luckily (as Tipi points out) many times we're off trail in time watch most of the game in a cozy bar near the trailheads, sipping our Colorado microbrews! A Perfect Sunday. Like this Sunday WOULD be except they are playing those Pats.... Yikes. At least the game is late so we'll catch the whole game after our hike.

Finally: RIP Peyton. Great career! Glad to have you here for your last few years.

Edit: Actually, I just looked it up: The Denver Broncos are 28-21 against the Patriots all-time. But 4-6 in the last 10 years. Probably a winning record against the Pats in the Elway years.
Elway and Terrel Davis owned the Pats. I hated the Broncos when they played the Pats, but always rooted for them in their other games. Happy to see Elway finally get a SB ring after all those great years he had.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-28-2015, 21:41
I'm a NASCAR fan(atic), so I understand it being hard to plan hikes around a sporting event, especially during prime weekend hiking time. I would say I've only missed 1/3 of the races I wanted to see because I was out left foot, right foot. Then again, I have DVR, so the only concern I have is to to NOT listen or view any sports-related sites. It's either that or plan a town stop when your particular event is going to be on. I did that as well in Hot Springs. Had the bar & TV all to myself.