PDA

View Full Version : never too old to hike the AT ! 77 year old man hikes the trail!

DavidNH
10-05-2015, 09:12
http://www.njherald.com/story/30127857/2015/09/28/sparta-man-77-is-fourth-oldest-hiker-to-complete-appalachian-trail

illabelle
10-05-2015, 10:33
Awesome! We met this guy as he was nearing Caratunk (we were doing a SOBO section). So neat to see him get the recognition he deserves. :)

tiptoe
10-05-2015, 11:17
Inspirational.

NJdreamer
10-05-2015, 21:20
I want a spouse like that. My husband says he is willing to do the same thing for me as she did when I am 77. Until then, I am on my own.
Seriously, all of their travels are amazing. Congratulations to both of them.

jefals
10-08-2015, 11:17
It is inspirational and helps me keep my dream alive. I think I might just challenge the record one of these days! :) I've always wanted to hike the trail, but just like him, always too many responsibilities. I always thought I'd tackle it as soon as I retired. It never dawned on me that when that time came, I'd then have two precious grandbabies I can't stand to be away from for more than about 2 days at a time!
So now I'm pushing 70, and I'm figuring when those babies are teenagers -- and I'll be pushing 80 -- I might just be heading for the Georgia hills!

tiptoe
10-08-2015, 12:00
Jefals, I'm a tad older than you, and I have two granddaughters, aged 6 and 3, but I didn't let that stop me from hiking. On my recent Damascus to Amicalola section hike, I sent them both postcards almost every time I got into town. My daughter reports that the girls loved getting mail from grandma tiptoe. My advice: Don't wait another 10 years for a marathon hike you may not be able to complete. Just get started now hiking sections while you are willing and able.

jefals
10-08-2015, 12:41
Jefals, I'm a tad older than you, and I have two granddaughters, aged 6 and 3, but I didn't let that stop me from hiking. On my recent Damascus to Amicalola section hike, I sent them both postcards almost every time I got into town. My daughter reports that the girls loved getting mail from grandma tiptoe. My advice: Don't wait another 10 years for a marathon hike you may not be able to complete. Just get started now hiking sections while you are willing and able.

Well, in my case, they lived with me for a couple years, and, especially the young one - it was her first two years. So there's that bond. I did a 3 month road trip last fall, and she was always asking for Grandpa. Of course I missed her too.
So, while I love "traipsing thru the woods" - for some inexplicable reason- it just doesn't compare with having that little sweetheart sitting in my lap, forcing me to play paddycakes 27 times in a row!:)

tiptoe
10-08-2015, 17:47
Maybe you can "hike" with the grandkids. Get them started with a route that's really short and sweet. Bring lots of snacks, take photos, do nature study. Soon they'll be hooked, hopefully, and the adventures can get longer.

jefals
10-08-2015, 19:54
Maybe you can "hike" with the grandkids. Get them started with a route that's really short and sweet. Bring lots of snacks, take photos, do nature study. Soon they'll be hooked, hopefully, and the adventures can get longer.
great idea!