PDA

View Full Version : peanut powder

billreillyjr
10-05-2015, 14:37
i don't know if this was posted yet-i've been hiking but JIF is now selling powdered peanuts at my local supermarket--it was 85% less fat and the only ingredient was roasted peanuts

Vegan Packer
10-05-2015, 14:42
PB2, another brand (I've never tried Jif), is sold at my local Costco.

SteelCut
10-05-2015, 14:49
I've tried this ... it's pretty horrible tasting IMO. To me it defeats the entire purpose of taking PB hiking ... to get the calories from the fat.

Ewker
10-05-2015, 14:51
We use the powdered peanut butter for making smoothies and nothing else. If I can a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I use real peanut butter.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 16:00
I'm not a fan of any JIF products. However, I am of Bell Plantation PB2. I recognize peanut butter, that includes powdered peanut butter for more than for its fat calories. PB has very good amounts of protein, fiber, texture and flavor too!

And, let's be quite clear; neither the JIF or PB2 powdered peanut butter are fat free! They are however reduced in fat. Both brands do NOT include excessive amounts of added, or any, sugar or salt. AND, most importantly do not contain ANY hydrogenated oils as many full fat constituted peanut butters do, WHICH IF YOU REALIZE, contribute to the fat content. In those cases it is NOT ALWAYS ENTRELY FAT FROM PEANUTS YOU ARE EATING!... it is hydrogenated oil!

And, if you think of your trail food by expanding your perspectives we'd realize NOT all trail food choices are SOLELY opted for based on maxing out cal/oz ratios YET you carry them onto the trail likely in abundance with regularity with rather dismal cal/oz ratios or fat content.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 16:20
Let's add some perspective. http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition

NOTICE: in PB2 powdered peanut butter 13 cals of the 45 calories per each 2 tbsp serving come from fat... all Natural FAT THAT COMES FROM PEANUTS. That means PB2 is 29% fat calories!

I ask, how many of your trail food choices, your go to common trail food choices, you regularly take to the trail, sometimes in abundance, contain 29% of their total cals in the form of naturally occurring fats?

In retrospect, PB2 is NOT a LOW FAT food!

And, if you like, try the PB Thins, a Triscuit/Wheat Thin like cracker but much tastier with 35% fat BUT, unlike the Triscuit and Wheat Thins, the fat is not mainly coming from the added oils but fat coming from the peanuts.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 16:27
For the JIF brand powdered peanut butter: http://www.jif.com/products/regular-peanut-powder

Actually a decent product in itself, we have 15 ft cals coming from a 70 cal serving making this peanut butter having 21% of its calories coming from NATURAL FAT. So, if I'm seeking fat in a decently nutritious powdered peanut butter, as what might happen as an UL hiker seeking to lower trail food wt but keeping cals up, I'd choose the PB2.

Vegan Packer
10-05-2015, 23:12
I make a caramel tofu jerky that I roll in the PB2. It's great because it sticks to the outside, it keeps the caramel from becoming all stuck together or melting or coming off, and it tastes great (even for non-vegans)! Yum! :)

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 23:20
Ah yuk. All you aliens from the Vega system think alike. :D

bikebum1975
10-06-2015, 00:01
I've tried the brand PBfit. It's not bad tasting to get the mouth feel right needs a touch of oil added and some salt. Would I buy it again? Eh maybe but I'm lazy give me ready made stuff. As others said for smoothies yep then I'd buy it.

LAZ
10-06-2015, 01:00
I am curious if you know how much you're paying for PB2 in your supermarket. Amazon has it for about seven dollars a pound if you buy 2 pounds. it is much more than that in the markets here, but New York city tends to be a very expensive place to buy food.

Dogwood
10-06-2015, 01:42
That's a good price LAZ. Since I don't consume huge amounts of powdered PB, off or on trail, I usually buy 6.5 oz jars for as little as $2.89- 3.29. I prefer other nut butters although peanuts are not true nuts anyway.

Vegan Packer
10-06-2015, 01:52
I don't remember the price, but a quick Google check (as of May--could be out of date) said $5.49 for 16 ounces.

bikebum1975
10-06-2015, 05:42
I think the PB fit was even more than what y'all are payin for the other stuff. If I recall it was almost 10 bucks at Costco so not sure what it goes for elsewhere.

MoeTCrow
11-12-2015, 23:33
I use this to make a Thai peanut sauce. I still carry a small bottle of sesame oil and a couple packets of soy, but boy oh boy.....

Dogwood
11-12-2015, 23:56
I use this to make a Thai peanut sauce. I still carry a small bottle of sesame oil and a couple packets of soy, but boy oh boy.....

Yipee, creativity, FLAVOR, some health and other potential benefits from the Sesame Oil too.

I'm going to try this. THANKS!

Dogwood
11-12-2015, 23:56
http://www.natural-holistic-health.com/benefits-of-sesame-oil/

Vegan Packer
11-13-2015, 00:12
How about posting the recipe, please?

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 00:53
Let me think a bit, sesame oil, soy, good peanut butter, garlic, ginger root, hot peppers of some sort, cilantro. marinate overnight, then into the dehydrator. But at home throw it into a salad. or maybe add some squid to dry with it. I'll start working on it. served over noodles of some sort. maybe Salmon head broth. For a soup less BP? Your thoughts?

scatman
11-13-2015, 01:09
I used PB2 on my CDT thru-hike this year in my morning shake. Great stuff but I can't see taking the time to mix it into a paste on the trail. IMO I would just carry the real stuff.

Dogwood
11-13-2015, 01:43
I used PB2 on my CDT thru-hike this year in my morning shake. Great stuff but I can't see taking the time to mix it into a paste on the trail. IMO I would just carry the real stuff.

No extra time involved turning it into a paste every time because no need to make a separate PB paste. For example, I might add the powder into a trail dinner that's heating up in H2O anyway. However, MoeTCrow demonstrates one benefit of the powder. You can reconstitute with your own oil or mix with another powder of choice giving a unique flavor. I'll reconstitute or mix with coconut milk(usually in a powdered form) or coconut milk cream(a solid at slightly below room temp).

Dogwood
11-13-2015, 01:44
BTW Scatman congrats on the TC.

Vegan Packer
11-13-2015, 04:09
Here is one that I almost have perfected:

Peanut Butter Caramel Tofu Jerky- Recipe Makes 48 pieces of Jerky

Who says that Jerky always has to taste like overkilled spice slabs? This is a great alternative, with a sweet and savory taste that is great as Jerky while on the move, or as a dessert when you are at camp. It’s easy to make, and takes only a few ingredients.

4 Boxes Extra Firm Tofu
4 Cans Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream
4 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
5 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt (to taste)
1 Jar of PB2 Dehydrated Peanut Butter

Remove Tofu from the box and drain water. Press the Tofu for 30 minutes to one hour, to remove excess water. If you don’t have a Tofu press, place several paper towels on a baking sheet, place the Tofu on the paper towels, place more paper towels over the Tofu, and then place another baking sheet on top of the paper towels. Take a heavy pot or saucepan, add water to it to create sufficient weight and then place the pot with water on top of the top baking sheet. After the paper towels have absorbed as much water as they can hold, replace them, and repeat this process a second time. Ultimately, you will have firm Tofu that will be dry enough to absorb the caramel marinade that you are about to make. While pressing the Tofu, start making the caramel sauce marinade.

Start by separating the cream from the water in the canned coconut milk. You can do this by two methods. The first method involves carefully spooning out the cream from the top of a can of coconut milk, leaving the water behind. An easier method, but one which requires planning and action ahead of time, is to place the canned coconut milk in the refrigerator for several hours--it is best to do this the day before making this recipe. This will solidify the cream at the top of the can, making it easier to scoop it out without accidentally taking up any of the water. A third method is to just buy coconut cream in a can, and then you can just skip the separation step altogether.

Add the coconut cream to a saucepan. Bring to a light, rolling boil. Ideally, you should use a candy thermometer to assure that the milk remains between 200F and 220F degrees. Whisk in the dark brown sugar.

Stirring frequently, bring back the ingredients to temperature. Be careful not to try to rush things by raising the temperature of your stove. If you do this, you will end up burning the caramel in the bottom of the saucepan rather than having a nice, thickened caramel sauce for your end result. Just take your time, and allow the temperature to gradually rise back to the desired zone. Once up to temperature, continue to stir frequently for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. The longer you allow the ingredients to cook, the thicker will be the end product.

Remove the saucepan from the stove, add the vanilla extra, and then whisk in the salt, a little at a time to your desired taste, carefully tasting the caramel without burning yourself as you add the salt to the mixture.
Allow to cool for about ten minutes, and then pour over the Tofu. Allow to cool until near room temperature, and then place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.

Remove the Tofu and marinade a few hours before you are ready to start dehydrating. This will allow the marinade to soften to the point where you can carefully remove the Tofu without it breaking. If you are constantly breaking the first few pieces, you can try briefly microwaving the Tofu in the marinade in order to soften the marinade enough to allow you to remove the Tofu without breaking the fingers.

Place the Tofu on dehydrator fruit roll trays. If you like, you can spoon on some of the caramel marinade over the Tofu fingers. Set the dehydrator to 130F for 12 hours–took too long–try 145F for 6 hours. Roll the Tofu a few times during dehydration, assuring that each side is evenly done. If you like, you can spoon on a bit more of the marinade when you make the turns. Also, it is a good idea to switch trays with each other during the dehydration process, again allowing a more even dehydration among the pieces.

At the end of the dehydration process, the tofu will still be sticky. At this point, place some of the PB2 in a tray, and roll the pieces of tofu in the PB2, making sure to coat all parts. Allow to sit for a few hours, and then roll a second time. This assures that the outside stays dry rather than having the moisture from the caramel soak through, making a sticky mess for when you bring it on the trail.

Place the Tofu into your desired storage container for the field. It should stay without spoiling for up to about three weeks, but it is best to store in the freezer until just before taking it on the trail.

War Chief
12-29-2015, 11:01
I tried the JIF powdered PB. Jaysus that's bitter! Gak! Then I added the 'optional' sugar and salt. Voila! Peanut butter! I'm adding it to my trail diet.

Tipi Walter
12-29-2015, 11:55
Vegan Packer---I like your recipe for tofu jerky and will have to try it. My experience with drying firm tofu in strips out of the box has been terrible---they become brick hard and never get soft when I add them to boiling soups and put in a pot cozy for 30 minutes. Any suggestions? But sliced tempeh dries wonderfully and it's one of my main protein sources while backpacking since I'm apparently allergic to goat cheese etc and dairy.

I'm also a heavy user of peanut butter and other nut butters like raw almond and cashew butter---very expensive stuff. One reason my food load is so heavy is because I like to carry several plastic containers of these nut butters---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/21-Days-Yellow-Mt/i-RXZTWsT/0/L/IMG_7893-L.jpg
Some of my food load at the beginning of a 21 day trip---on the Deep Creek trail in the Slickrock wilderness. Most of these containers are nut butters, jam and honey.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/17-Days-In-Rattlerville/i-m3X5jJB/0/L/Trip%20165%20027-L.jpg
Sometimes I take raw tempeh out without drying. And my peanut butter comes in lightweight plastic disposable containers.

Dogwood
12-29-2015, 15:32
I tried the JIF powdered PB. Jaysus that's bitter! Gak! Then I added the 'optional' sugar and salt. Voila! Peanut butter! I'm adding it to my trail diet.

LOL. You are evolutionary programmed to crave sugar, salt, and fat to some degree. However, that information is known by the food scientists who then intentionally engineer food like substance to habituate you - hook you - by creating addictive sugary , salty , and fatty foods. For comparisons sake try this. In a side by side comparison try eating bacon that hasn't been salted and sweetened compared to bacon that contains none. It's even extremely hard to find ANY kind of bacon(pork, turkey, even veggie bacon, etc) without MUCH sugar(sweetness) and saltiness. And, they don't need to put it in bacon other than to habituate you to the flavor. Or, in a side by side taste test try unsalted butter next to salted butter(cow butter). I bet you don't like the unsalted butter as much. Note they also add the word SWEET in large letters to the butter. Or, especially if you grew up in the U.S. eating mainstream "chocolate" which is just chocolate flavored sugar, dark chocolate in the 60-85%(by wt) cacao( nibs) range without as much sweetness. This is what "chocolate" has historically tasted like, not being as always so damn sweet. This is where the health benefits can come from. The cacao(nibs) content NOT the sugar content. Real chocolate, not the U.S. cultural habituated super sweet chocolate flavored sugar version, is actually quite bitter in itself. They know all to well how to get you to addicted to and buy their processed packed engineered foods. AND, they don't have your best interests in mind. They are after profits at your expense.

George
12-29-2015, 17:40
I tried the dry PB - tossed it in the first garbage I passed

Vegan Packer
12-29-2015, 17:52
Vegan Packer---I like your recipe for tofu jerky and will have to try it. My experience with drying firm tofu in strips out of the box has been terrible---they become brick hard and never get soft when I add them to boiling soups and put in a pot cozy for 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

I accidentally left out a step that should solve this problem. From your description, you have been cutting the tofu into "strips," which I interpret to mean something like the shape of a bacon strip. Instead, you want to cut the tofu into "fingers." After pressing the tofu, you do this by cutting the tofu blocks crosswise into ¾-inch-thick slabs, and then you slice each slab into two fingers.

Between soaking in the marinade before dehydration, and cutting into the shape as described, the tofu, after dehydration, takes on a tender consistency that is not a tough as meat based jerky, but it is firm enough to give just the right bite texture. Give it a try; this one is a winner!

Puddlefish
12-29-2015, 18:13
LOL. You are evolutionary programmed to crave sugar, salt, and fat to some degree. However, that information is known by the food scientists who then intentionally engineer food like substance to habituate you - hook you - by creating addictive sugary , salty , and fatty foods. For comparisons sake try this. In a side by side comparison try eating bacon that hasn't been salted and sweetened compared to bacon that contains none. It's even extremely hard to find ANY kind of bacon(pork, turkey, even veggie bacon, etc) without MUCH sugar(sweetness) and saltiness. And, they don't need to put it in bacon other than to habituate you to the flavor. Or, in a side by side taste test try unsalted butter next to salted butter(cow butter). I bet you don't like the unsalted butter as much. Note they also add the word SWEET in large letters to the butter. Or, especially if you grew up in the U.S. eating mainstream "chocolate" which is just chocolate flavored sugar, dark chocolate in the 60-85%(by wt) cacao( nibs) range without as much sweetness. This is what "chocolate" has historically tasted like, not being as always so damn sweet. This is where the health benefits can come from. The cacao(nibs) content NOT the sugar content. Real chocolate, not the U.S. cultural habituated super sweet chocolate flavored sugar version, is actually quite bitter in itself. They know all to well how to get you to addicted to and buy their processed packed engineered foods. AND, they don't have your best interests in mind. They are after profits at your expense.

A few years back, when I first started watching trying to get healthy, I cut out most sugars and a lot of the salt. It only took me about three weeks to get the donut cravings out of my system. It helps that I've always preferred dark chocolate, unsalted butter, black coffee and things that actually taste like something other than sugar or salt.

I'm not convinced there's some kind of grand conspiracy by food scientists to hook you on certain substances. They're just following their market subset, and picking the low hanging fruit. One could argue the organic/antioxidant/gluten free/etc. people are also trying to hook you on their vague feel good claims and get you to buy more of their products at higher prices. I hold nothing against either of these groups. It's up to me, and no one else, to decide what I eat.

Back to the peanut butter, low salt peanut butter is fine. It tastes different at first, not bad, just different. After a few weeks, you pretty much stop noticing the difference.

Dogwood
12-29-2015, 21:07
LOL. You're not "freely" deciding all on your own as you assume.

No matter how smart or well-educated you are, you can be deceived(influenced).James Randi (http://www.azquotes.com/author/12078-James_Randi)

No matter how aware you assume yourself to be you have susceptibility to be influenced.

Magicians are just one OF MANY IN A LONG LINE that are all too eager to control your state of being. Magicians will tell you openly they are illusionists; they are attempting to deceive you, fool you, and lie to you. Despite them telling you this beforehand , they still fool you! Can you imagine the degree of influences that are unknowingly perpetuated on those by others who don't let you know they are attempting to influence you? :eek::-?:p :D

You don't know how very easy it is to fool the human brain? Watch Brain Games! Check out Apollo Robbins tell a person he is going to pickpocket them BEFORE actually pickpocketing them AND YET STILL gets away with it!

Puddlefish
12-29-2015, 21:17
LOL. You're not "freely" deciding all on your own as you assume.

No matter how smart or well-educated you are, you can be deceived(influenced).James Randi (http://www.azquotes.com/author/12078-James_Randi)

No matter how aware you assume yourself to be you have susceptibility to be influenced.

Magicians are just one OF MANY IN A LONG LINE that are all too eager to control your state of being. Magicians will tell you openly they are illusionists; they are attempting to deceive you, fool you, and lie to you. Despite them telling you this beforehand , they still fool you! Can you imagine the degree of influences that are unknowingly perpetuated on those by others who don't let you know they are attempting to influence you? :eek::-?:p :D

You don't know how very easy it is to fool the human brain? Watch Brain Games! Check out Apollo Robbins tell a person he is going to pickpocket them BEFORE actually pickpocketing them AND YET STILL gets away with it!

I've long been a fan of pragmatism, "Know thyself," "The unexamined life is not worth living" and just critical thinking in general. It's a bit of a hobby of mine to pay attention to the world around me, and work out who's trying to influence me in what manner. It would be a joyless world if I ever fully succeeded in reducing it to a pure formula. I'm jaded enough as it is. People hate watching movies with me, because at inappropriate times I'll mumble how the director is clearly and clumsily trying to play with our emotions in this scene.

Without getting into some serious philosophy, let's just say that I'm comfortable with my level of awareness.

Venchka
12-29-2015, 21:24
Let me think a bit, sesame oil, soy, good peanut butter, garlic, ginger root, hot peppers of some sort, cilantro. marinate overnight, then into the dehydrator. But at home throw it into a salad. or maybe add some squid to dry with it. I'll start working on it. served over noodles of some sort. maybe Salmon head broth. For a soup less BP? Your thoughts?

I almost lost my dinner reading this. You should provide a warning label. [emoji2]

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Dogwood
12-29-2015, 22:06
Check out those Brain Games episodes to see how aware you actually are. The human brain can only handle so much stimuli before it starts to delete information. It happens to all of us to some extent. A human's focus can be influenced NO MATTER WHO WE ARE.

The ones who think they are so aware are often the ones most easily influenced.

Mtsman
12-29-2015, 22:07
I make a caramel tofu jerky that I roll in the PB2. It's great because it sticks to the outside, it keeps the caramel from becoming all stuck together or melting or coming off, and it tastes great (even for non-vegans)! Yum! :)

Its funny, all i read was "Carmel Jerky" and thought, Wow that sounds amazing! Its crazy how my mostly carnivore mind omitted the word tofu automatically. I think you have inspired me to try Carmel Jerky rolled in PB2 though. Thanks! (and who said vegans were totally worthless!!) ;)

Mtsman
12-29-2015, 22:14
One reason my food load is so heavy is because I like to carry several plastic containers of these nut butters--- Most of these containers are nut butters, jam and honey.

And my peanut butter comes in lightweight plastic disposable containers.

Tipi,

I am sure you have tried the gambit of things and I know you like to carry heavy loads but have you tried these instead?

http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2

Just a thought

Puddlefish
12-29-2015, 22:29
Check out those Brain Games episodes to see how aware you actually are. The human brain can only handle so much stimuli before it starts to delete information. It happens to all of us to some extent. A human's focus can be influenced NO MATTER WHO WE ARE.

The ones who think they are so aware are often the ones most easily influenced.

Eh, it's a produced program, you can guarantee they'll load the program so that their point of the day comes across clearly. Like the pickpocketing guy, I'm going to pickpocket you! Then he proceeds to get up into some clowns personal space, touching him eight ways from Sunday while the clown just stands there flailing about like a typical infomercial spaz.

Yes, our brain does fit data into patterns that we're used to seeing. There's a difference between optical illusions that are hardwired into us and that we aren't capable of seeing past, and advertising created by another human, that we can teach ourselves to see.

... and I am following this thread, and picking up ways to expand my menu as well! Sorry for the minor derailing.

Tipi Walter
12-30-2015, 00:07
Tipi,

I am sure you have tried the gambit of things and I know you like to carry heavy loads but have you tried these instead?

http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2

Just a thought

Yes, I have seen these around since the 1970s but they won't hold the amount of nut butters/honey/jam I want to take---and filling the tubes would be labor intensive for around 154 ozs of the stuff I pack. Each of my plastic jars are 22 ozs and I generally take about 7 jars. The plastic jars are very light empty and can be used repeatedly.

Each tube holds 6ozs of stuff so for 154 ozs that would be 26 tubes I'd have to fill, vs 7 jars.

RavensFan
01-01-2016, 12:36
PB2 + Protein Powder are my go-to breakfast - so quick and easy. Tried mixing it up once to use on bread and will never do that again.

OldTrailDog
02-02-2016, 21:54
I am a fan of the PB2. I thoroughly enjoy it in my oatmeal and in yogurt. I didn't figure on taking any on the AT because I didn't think I would regularly encounter a source for it. Currently I get it a Wally World.

Berry Belle
02-11-2016, 15:58
I thought PB2 made too much of a mess and it tasted awful. I just carry peanuts. Easy to snack on and they can be added whole or crushed to rice or noodle dinners.