PDA

View Full Version : Update on fracturing my C7

Different Socks
10-06-2015, 16:59
Good News! Good News! Good News!! I can finally talk about what happened to me 6 weeks ago today!
I was on the 1st day of a 3 day/900 mile ride on my scooter. Only 3 miles from the site where I’d make camp, an large owl was flushed from the side of the road and collided with the body of the my wheels. I over corrected on steering and dumped it. The scoot stopped but I didn’t. I came to rest against a barb wire fence after rolling 5 yards swiftly down a steep embankment. Bloody hands and a injury, plus loose soil made it very difficult to get back to the road. After 5 min I was back on pavement, 5 min later 2 guys in a car stopped to assist me and they stayed with me for over an hour. They helped me set up camp, change clothes, wash my wounds on arms and hands and much more. Many thanks goes out to the 2 guys from Mass.
Next day I went to nearest ER and found out I had broken toe, ankle and neck. I had a fractured C7 which is at the base of my neck. Had to wear neck brace every day for last 6 weeks: sleeping, eating, working, even while bathing. Couldn’t sit for long in a chair b/c left arm would become sore. Sharp pains would hit my lower neck and right shoulder blade. Despite all the discomfort, I was actually looking forward to physical therapy. The worst the doctor could tell me was that I wouldn’t be able to carry a backpack for the rest of my life. I might have had to say goodbye to the trails in Europe, Australia, Canada, maybe even Asia.

After 6 weeks of waiting, my appt was today. Long story short: I AM OKAY!!!! My neck healed nicely! I will be able to carry a pack again, my weight restriction is off but I still have to gradually increase it over the next month to avoid sore neck, back and shoulder muscles.
The other night I had a big grin on my face b/c I got promoted to my own specific area of the store, and now my week has gotten so much better with even better news!!
For anyone out there that prayed for me I send out enormous thanks!!!! It was greatly appreciated that you thought of me.
For those of you that worry I may hit a moose, wolf, mtn lion, etc--my next vehicle(next year) will be a 3 wheeler and enclosed.

WingedMonkey
10-06-2015, 17:26
Didn't you collide with a deer or goat or something four or five years ago also?

Different Socks
10-06-2015, 17:30
Didn't you collide with a deer or goat or something four or five years ago also?

4 years, 1 month ago I collided with a deer and split it completely in half. Put me in the hospital for 6 weeks. Needless to say, I don't ride at night anymore. the owl hit me in late afternoon.

FlyFishNut
10-06-2015, 17:40
Glad you are OK and I don't want to sound like your father or anything - but should you ditch the scooters??

Congrats on your recovery. Think of this as a new lease on life and don't ride those damn licker sickles anymore!

donthaveoneyet
10-06-2015, 19:03
Jeez, I thought this was going to be about a Jeep.