PDA

View Full Version : Traveling by Bus

stargate
12-02-2005, 21:26
:confused:
Does anyone know what is allowed to be taken on a bus.

Like matches, fuel, lighters, hiking staffs, trowels, etc.

We have wooden hiking staffs and I am not sure if they are allowed or not. They do not clasps, we have matches and a lighter, and will be carrying Trioxan compressed fuel.

On the website for Greyhound they say no matches with checked luggage does this also apply for carry on.

For items that may not be allowed what is a suggestion for sending it on ahead of us.

neo
12-02-2005, 22:40
:confused:
Does anyone know what is allowed to be taken on a bus.

Like matches, fuel, lighters, hiking staffs, trowels, etc.

We have wooden hiking staffs and I am not sure if they are allowed or not. They do not clasps, we have matches and a lighter, and will be carrying Trioxan compressed fuel.

On the website for Greyhound they say no matches with checked luggage does this also apply for carry on.

For items that may not be allowed what is a suggestion for sending it on ahead of us.

i have carried my stove fuel,trekking poles knife,on my last hike i left fuel at home because i went thru port authority in ny,i picked fuel up in nh,i have never had my pack serched in any bus station,bottom line is,you are not supposed to carry stove fuel,call the bus stations to be sure:cool: neo

Whistler
12-02-2005, 22:46
I've gotten trekking poles on the bus with my pack. The pack also had matches with my cookset, and alcohol fuel in a Platy inside. Not sure if I broke a policy or not, but no one asked or searched or noticed.
-Mark

fiddlehead
12-03-2005, 18:21
I remember the days i rode the "DOG" i think i was the only one on the bus who didn't smoke, meaning they are all carrying lighters. If Greyhound said you couldn't bring lighters or matches anymore, they probably wouldn't have any customers. Enjoy the "DOG" if that's what you're riding. A thread should be started here with stories from the dog.

MorrisseyFan
12-03-2005, 18:36
I've traveled a bit with Greyhound, and I've always been under the impression that as long as I paid, I could take dang near whatever I wanted with me. I'm sure they have rules, but I've never seen anything enforced.

TooTall
12-03-2005, 19:23
Last year I took a bus from Roanoake, VA to Manchester, NH. Checked my pack in a couple hours ahead of time so I could mosey around town for some shopping and eats. When I got back my pack had already left. I started on the bus north hoping I'd find the pack at Washington, DC but - nope. Switched buses to New York and tried to locate the pack in the Port Authority bus terminal in NYC but, again, no luck. Took the bus up to Boston and then Manchester. Still no pack. I figured the pack would never make it through NYC and it was gone for good.

Three days later I get a call from the Manchester bus terminal that my pack had arrived. I said I could drive down from Concord but they said they'd just stick it on the next bus heading that way. I picked the pack up the next day and, amazingly, not a thing was missing. Concord Trailways didn't charge me for sending the pack further up to Concord. The people who work at Concord Trailways are a class act.

Too Tall Paul

stargate
12-04-2005, 23:25
Thanks to all that have replied.

DaSchwartz
12-06-2005, 23:45
I've been on Greyhound buses where they had dogs sniff the luggage and ask each passenger if they "mind if I search your bag". Both the Memphis greyhound terminal and the Atlanta terminal did this while I was on the bus.

I'd probably would not bring on fuel and certainly would not bring on any weed or liquor. Keep knives in the luggage compartment, not your personal bag.

People have lighters and matches on their possession on greyhound. As someone pointed out, you'll see them used quite often at rest stops.

Cheers

stargate
12-07-2005, 00:01
Where do most bus riders get off for the AT. What would be the closest to the trail that we could get off

DaSchwartz
12-07-2005, 00:18
Greyhound has had a ton of cutbacks. They used to serve close towns like Buena Vista, Front Royal, Marion, Waynesboro, and Carlisle, PA. No longer.
It sucks if you need to stop at the small town but great if you are going between larger cities as there are less stops.

Hagerstown, MD by the dog will put about 8 miles from the trail and I think Roanoke, VA will put you around 8 miles also.

Bus to Washington, DC then MARC train to Harpers Ferry.

They still serve Hanover, NH which will you put you right on the trail.

The dog ain't what it used to be though. And it's getting really expensive if you just walk up and buy the ticket.

Tim Rich
12-07-2005, 08:52
Before you commit entirely to taking the bus, check out flying to the trail, particularly if you're doing a NOBO thru. Airtran (based in Atlanta) puts flights on sale all the time and don't require a round-trip purchase. If you don't like Airtran, Delta usually matches. A current Airtran sale has Memphis to Atlanta one way for $74 (84.20 with all taxes/fees). If you watch it you might get it cheaper - I think I've seen it as low as $59. Greyhound has a $43 discount price for Memphis/Gainesville (plus $4 fee). The ride is over 10 hours. The flight time is about an hour and a half gate to gate. If you can get the $59 fare, you'll be about $25 out of pocket to fly instead of bus.

For mid-atlantic and new england destinations, Independence Air (based at DC-Dulles) is a great little airline.

If you're NOBO and flying, consider using the services of Hiker Hostel. $55 gets you a shuttle from the airport or bus station, a stop at an outfitter, white gas, breakfast, and a ride to Springer or Amicalola Falls. That's a pretty good deal. http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices/

Good luck in your planning.

Take Care,

Tim

Alligator
12-07-2005, 11:45

For mid-atlantic and new england destinations, Independence Air (based at DC-Dulles) is a great little airline.

Tim
Independence Air is in bankruptcy proceedings.

Tim Rich
12-07-2005, 12:04
Independence Air is in bankruptcy proceedings.

So is Delta, Northwest, UAL, , ATA, Mesaba and Aloha. USAir and Continental have emerged from bankruptcy.

The only one I wouldn't buy a ticket from for spring travel would be ATA.

sparky2000
12-07-2005, 13:00
At first glance busing seems diffulculted - however, after six section hikes last year with the "Dog" I learned that people out there are aware of your circumstances (3K + hikers annually) and readily help with acceptable cost - such as $40.00 from Hot Springs to nearest Bus stop from the outfitter owner with no reservation. Just waited until he closed and off we went. The Bus was there in about an hour and paid at the next stop for my destination. No problem. However, one must be fair warned that walking out of some of the Bus Stations may be dangerous - such as Washed DC is a killers paradise.