PDA

View Full Version : monitoring blood pressure

Woodturner
10-07-2015, 06:47
A few weeks ago I had to bail out early on a hike that was intended to go from Davenport Gap to Erwin. In preparation, I had made a point of taking walks of five to eight miles every day for over a month prior to the hike.</SPAN></SPAN>
Day one went pretty much as expected. A strong start got slower as the day progressed, and, although I had to take frequent “lean on the poles” breaks on the climbs, it wasn’t anything surprising. Day two was not quite as good, but still not bad. By day three, even the most moderate of uphill grades was like the climb from Hughes Gap to the summit of Roan. I was lucky to go 100 feet without stopping. I had hoped to make the Deer Park shelter but only got as far as the last road access before Hot Springs. The next morning, it took me almost three hours to make the three or so miles to the shelter. The final short climb from the spring to the shelter almost caused me to black out. For money reasons, spending the night at Hot Springs was out, so my fourth day was less than I would normally hike before taking a break. Ditto day five, which ended at Hot Springs.</SPAN></SPAN>
By the time I reached the river I was so wiped that I couldn’t even stand to hitch. Worse, moving to a fence made of railroad ties, I was feeling faint even sitting down. I gave passing thought to flagging down a passing ambulance.</SPAN></SPAN>
I have been on blood pressure meds since last spring. When I started them it was so bad the doctor thought about putting me in the hospital. A lot of the problem was job related which was finally solved by my telling them to KMA. The walking (which, being unemployed, I had tons of time for) lowered it even more. With the meds and the walking it got WAY down. I have reached the conclusion that serious hiking, in conjunction with the meds, caused me to have low blood pressure problems. </SPAN></SPAN>
So….</SPAN></SPAN>
I would really like to try a month’s long hike next year. Maybe even a through hike. But this blood pressure thing makes it more complicated. Is there any decent lightweight monitor that would work for hiking? I would imagine that eventually the meds would not be needed, but there would still be a need to monitor the pressure.</SPAN></SPAN>
As an aside, I forgot to take the pill yesterday morning. After yesterday afternoon’s five mile road walk it was 133/78 on a monitor that tends to read on the high side.</SPAN></SPAN>

daddytwosticks
10-07-2015, 07:21
Have a serious talk with your DOCTOR. Beware of any medical advice given over an internet forum. I too suffer from pre-hypertension and am on a mild diuretic. No problems at all. See your doctor. Your situation sounds serious. Good luck and here's hoping you can get back out on the trail. :)

Traveler
10-07-2015, 08:44
Given your stated history coupled with the symptoms you described recently, I agree with Daddytwosticks, medical advice on the internet is insufficient and may actually prove dangerous.

Hypertension (high blood pressure) is only a bit of the puzzle. Medication changes or undiscovered needs that appear when your heart rate increase can produce symptoms similar to what you experienced. It may be BP related, it could also be you have arterial blockage (plaque) that isn't allowing enough oxygenated blood to be pumped by the heart.

You should discuss this with your doctor. If you have not had a stress test you probably would benefit from one, if there is something real wrong you'll find out quickly. Beyond that, an ultrasound scan of the heart can tell MDs a lot about what may be going on, a Calcium Test may also be in order which is a CAT scan that measures plaque in the arteries. These are all painless tests that provide a great deal of information. Given what you have said here, I doubt your physician would not refer you to a cardiologist for this look over.

There are a lot of circumstances outside of hypertension and heart related issues that can cause the symptoms you described, including what foods you are eating, when you last ate, hydration and water retention, electrolyte levels, clothing choices, pace (too fast or too slow), altitude, temperatures, and so on. While these may be part of the problem, looking internally first given your medical history is the most responsible course of action.

I wish you luck in this pursuit, please let us know how you make out and what you discover. Your story can have a high impact on others who may be quietly facing the same issues. How I know this is I was moved by a post here not long ago to take a similar journey.

TD55
10-07-2015, 09:01
You need to consult your doctor. There are small blood pressure devices you can use at home or while traveling. They fit on your wrist and you can check your pressure as often as you want. No prescription needed, you can get them right off the drug store shelf. Don't try to use it to diagnose and figure out the cause of your problem on your own. Go see a doctor, whether you hike or not.

Pedaling Fool
10-07-2015, 09:01
Normally, I'm perfectly fine with giving out medical advice, since the vast majority of medical problems are self induced and relatively easy to fix. However, I don't get that sense here, could be wrong, but seems like a visit to the doc would be in your best interest.

Having said that, regularly involving heart-pounding exercise is pretty much all we need, not simple walking, that (walking) is not exercise. However, you may be one of the exceptions...

Old Grouse
10-07-2015, 09:08
I would think a stress test may be warranted. A few years ago i confided to my primary physician that given my age, it sometimes worried me that i would find myself atop a lonely mountain gasping for breath. So naturally she scheduled one for me. The cardiologist ran me on the treadmill, read the results, and pronounced me good to go. Then he said, "Don't get too cocky. Bill Clinton passed his stress test and a month later had quadruple bypass surgery." I left the doctor's office shaking my head. But like the song says, I'm still standing.

squeezebox
10-07-2015, 10:17
Also most people our age are not physically active. So make sure your doc understands your specific needs. Your activity might change what meds the doc prescribes.

Woodturner
10-08-2015, 08:01
Thanks for all the replies so far, but not one of them have answered or even addressed my question.

Can anyone recommend a really lightweight blood pressure monitor?</SPAN>
I would talk to a doctor before starting a long hike, but at the end of the day I need to know what my blood pressure is.</SPAN>

Traveler
10-08-2015, 09:08
I have tried several monitors, some are under a pound, but they tend to be low cost and do not last long if you travel with them (business travel) hiking with them would accelerate their destruction. I finally found one that can survive well in a travel environment, a MicroLife Model 3W01 that weighs about 1.25 pounds with a large cuff. The light/cheap type are notoriously inaccurate when compared against MD office equipment, to the point their readings are not worth a lot. This one is inside the +/- 3% zone with my MDs equipment. What I like about this device is it samples three times in a row and averages the reading. Most that I have used don't do this.

If you are not stable (BP rates are in continuous change up or down) this machine will show an error message and you will need to wait for your BP to stabilize. You should ask your doctor when and how you should take your readings, taking them during or immediately following heavy exercise won't provide a reading that is worth a lot except to throw your averages off. Instructions on all the monitors I have used require you to sit for a short time to stabilize your BP before you sample it.

BP monitors are designed for use in a static environment. Instructions with these devices will tell you to avoid using them during physical exercise and a resting period is advised before use to be sure the BP reading is accurate. Your doctor will probably suggest sampling your BP at different times of the day over the course of a month to develop an average that is reasonably accurate to determine what course of treatment or action is needed.

Your doctor may be able to refer you to a device they believe is accurate, but regardless you should let them know you are monitoring it at home and bring it with you for the next office visit to compare it against their equipment. Hypertension is nothing to mess with. Given the severity of your condition you describe, a stress test is likely in order if you are planning a long distance hike to assess your ability to do it without doing harm to your body.

rgarling
10-08-2015, 10:04
A manual cuff & stethoscope would weigh about a pound and costs about $25. Once you get used to it, you can take your BP faster and more accurately than one of the low priced auto machines.

Alligator
10-08-2015, 12:37
You need to consult your doctor. There are small blood pressure devices you can use at home or while traveling. They fit on your wrist and you can check your pressure as often as you want. No prescription needed, you can get them right off the drug store shelf. Don't try to use it to diagnose and figure out the cause of your problem on your own. Go see a doctor, whether you hike or not.

Thanks for all the replies so far, but not one of them have answered or even addressed my question.

Can anyone recommend a really lightweight blood pressure monitor?
I would talk to a doctor before starting a long hike, but at the end of the day I need to know what my blood pressure is.You must have missed the quoted post.

I used one of these wrist monitors once and it was off. Could have been a time of the day issue but I would suggest comparing a wrist unit with a known accurate unit to determine its accuracy. Lot of quality differences in bp monitors.

Woodturner
10-09-2015, 07:21
You must have missed the quoted post.

I used one of these wrist monitors once and it was off. Could have been a time of the day issue but I would suggest comparing a wrist unit with a known accurate unit to determine its accuracy. Lot of quality differences in bp monitors.

Yes I did, and I apologize. Your post started with "see a doctor" and I went to the next one.
I am going to check into the stethoscope/cuff system today. I never dreamed they were that inexpensive. I have a number of friends who are RNs that I can go to for advice as far as learning to use one.