PDA

View Full Version : Spring 3-4 day hike out of Springer

Boo-Yah
10-07-2015, 13:12
Looking to do a spring 3-4 day hike out of springer, mainly to get to meet people, get accustomed to trail for longer section later.

Couple of questions:
1. Where would be good pick up point let's say around 30+ - miles outside springer, seems like I saw a reloading type place on youtube that sold pizza ect, that was about 3 or 4 days out?
2. Early April weather experiance in GA? I have 50l Osprey, is that enough pack if I try to keep it light. We will be hammock camping.

Any other suggestions or thoughts? :-?

Thanks

skater
10-07-2015, 15:35
I'm guessing you are referring to Mountain Crossings as the pick-up point. It's just past Blood Mountain. It's a very good pick-up point, although parking at the actual store site is limited to store customers only. If you are going to show up there and have someone come meet you, that shouldn't be a problem. More parking is available 1/4 mile north.

Stubby
10-07-2015, 15:59
Early April could be warm, as high as 80s possible in the day, 60s or 70s more likely as a high; or could be cold, typically 40s and 50s at night, but it could easily drop to freezing. A couple of decades back there was a blizzard in Atlanta in early April, but that was a fluke.

I use a 46L Osprey for 3 seasons, 50 should be fine.

Neels Gaps is a good place, 31 miles from Springer, good parking. I don't know about pizza, that have a very hiker-friendly store, the AT goes through the building. We enjoyed an ice cream when we hiked through it.

Stubby
10-07-2015, 16:01
... More parking is available 1/4 mile north.
Mountain Crossings is at Neels Gap, same place. I had forgotten that parking for hiking is a short distance away, glad you mentioned that.

FatMan
10-07-2015, 17:09
I can't think of a worse time to hike north from Springer than April. The herd of through hikers is massive. Shelters and campsites will be packed and from my point of view very uncomfortable. It's not hiking, it is a pilgrimage.

Don't fret though. If that is your definitive time schedule I might suggest hiking the BMT north from Springer. There is a road crossing at Payne Gap on SR60 right at about 30 miles where you can get a ride. The BMT is a wonderful trail, better than the AT IMO. Especially that time of year.

Stubby
10-08-2015, 08:51
Since you say your aim is to "get to meet people" you are probably picking the best possible time and section for that.

ccartertn
10-08-2015, 09:50
Loop? Not trying to hijack, but, regardless of season, is there a loop around Springer or even the approach? Or, does everyone just go a certain distance and shuttle back? I am specifically thinking about a fall 2 night / 2.5 day trip. Not opposed to incorporating other trails besides AT. Also, opposie of the OP, I am not looking for social interaction.
Again, sorry for hijacking, but thought my questions may be somewhat relevant.

ccartertn

colorado_rob
10-08-2015, 09:56
I can't think of a worse time to hike north from Springer than April. The herd of through hikers is massive. Shelters and campsites will be packed and from my point of view very uncomfortable. It's not hiking, it is a pilgrimage.???? I thought the point of the OP was indeed to meet people, so if what you say is true, this would be the best time, not the worst.

I must have started in some sort of statistical anomaly though, because this was not at all my experience; I started on April 10th last year and saw maybe 15 or so people on the actual trail all the way from Springer to Neels gap, most of those the first day. I even completely owned (was alone) at the Justus Creek CG my first night on the trail. I did stop in at that first shelter north of Springer, and that was indeed packed with folks, just sitting around looking quite dazed....

Of course if you start at Neel's and head south towards springer, you'll see tons more folks going against the grain. Or if you go NOBO and just hang out a lot at various places, that would work too (to see lots and lots of folks).

jockellis
10-08-2015, 11:07
There must have been 100 people at the Hawk Mountain shelter about 8 miles north of Springer the Sunday night in March 2014 when a high school buddy and I did an overnight. I had a great time talking to the people around the campfire. Seems like when you hit the trail the next day you hardly see them.
On day hikes or overnights in Georgia during off season you don't see anyone except around Blood Mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cneill13
10-08-2015, 11:32
I concur with Fatman. Skip the AT and go hiking on the BMT, a hidden treasure of a trail. It too starts out on top of Springer Mountain (but at a different point) like the AT. Park your car somewhere down the trail and have a shuttle take you to the Springer M. parking lot to begin. You can camp at Long Creek Falls one night and the Toccoa River swinging bridge the next night. Get Sgt. Rock's BMT guide. It is a great help. The AT in March and April is nothing but a human highway. It can be fun to meet the hikers but it is definitely not peaceful.

skater
10-08-2015, 11:33
Loop? Not trying to hijack, but, regardless of season, is there a loop around Springer or even the approach? Or, does everyone just go a certain distance and shuttle back? I am specifically thinking about a fall 2 night / 2.5 day trip. Not opposed to incorporating other trails besides AT. Also, opposie of the OP, I am not looking for social interaction.
Again, sorry for hijacking, but thought my questions may be somewhat relevant.

ccartertnThe Benton Mackaye Trail forms 3 separate loops with the AT in the Springer Mountain area, with the longest being 10.6 miles. By combining the loops, you might get a satisfactory 2-day trip out of it. The next longer loop I know of is the Georgia Loop, which is 55 miles and touches the AT, the BMT, and Duncan Ridge Trail (DRT), and is generally regarded as fairly tough - might be a bit much for a 2.5 day unless you are in very good hiking shape. Details are available at the BMTA site (http://www.bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm). The BMT and DRT are usually sparsely populated.

Stubby
10-08-2015, 12:03
is there a loop around Springer or even the approach?
ccartertn

The Benton MacKay trail forms some smallish loops with the AT, and some much larger loops. Check here:

http://www.bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm

colorado_rob
10-08-2015, 12:29
I'm sure the BMT is a fantastic trail, but did y'all not actually read what the OP was looking for? I think, a feel for the AT for his upcoming section. Perhaps it is I that misunderstand....

ccartertn
10-08-2015, 12:38
I'm sure the BMT is a fantastic trail, but did y'all not actually read what the OP was looking for? I think, a feel for the AT for his upcoming section. Perhaps it is I that misunderstand....

I think they were replying to my question about a loop. Again, I apologize for hijacking the thread.

The Benton MacKay trail forms some smallish loops with the AT, and some much larger loops. Check here:

http://www.bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm

Thanks for the info.

The Benton Mackaye Trail forms 3 separate loops with the AT in the Springer Mountain area, with the longest being 10.6 miles. By combining the loops, you might get a satisfactory 2-day trip out of it. The next longer loop I know of is the Georgia Loop, which is 55 miles and touches the AT, the BMT, and Duncan Ridge Trail (DRT), and is generally regarded as fairly tough - might be a bit much for a 2.5 day unless you are in very good hiking shape. Details are available at the BMTA site (http://www.bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm). The BMT and DRT are usually sparsely populated.

Thanks much.

Boo-Yah
10-09-2015, 13:44
I'm guessing you are referring to Mountain Crossings as the pick-up point. It's just past Blood Mountain. It's a very good pick-up point, although parking at the actual store site is limited to store customers only. If you are going to show up there and have someone come meet you, that shouldn't be a problem. More parking is available 1/4 mile north.

Great info

Boo-Yah
10-09-2015, 13:48

All right by me...love the info..
you are right Rob, I don't think either one of us will mind crowd, kinda wanted to experience that part too. We are hammock campers so shelters being full is not a major issue too.

I am soaking up as many opinions and suggestions as possible

Boo-Yah
10-09-2015, 14:36
I might do BMT at another time, how scenic is it?

I think we will stick with AT, this will be our 1st time doing section hike, so starting at springer is somewhat symbolic