PDA

View Full Version : mailing Whisperlite and empty feul canister

DavidNH
12-02-2005, 21:49
Hi,

Does anyone know If I can mail my Whisperlite stove and empty msr feul bottle (isnt empty now but it will be!) via UPS to Georgia? I am going down via plane and I KNOW the airlines won't accept. So I am hoping I can mail these items via UPS to the Hostel in Dalonhega, GA.

Those of you who have gone in past to Springer Mountain via an airline to atlanta..how did you handle this situation ( of gear that the airlines won't accept)??

DavidNH

hikerjohnd
12-02-2005, 22:20
Yes - if it is empty and cleaned out it can be shipped with no problem. When I mail mine, I wash it out and put a match to it to be sure there are no fumes inside.

stag3
12-02-2005, 22:27
I took my MSR stove and bottle as checked baggage, no problems and no questions from TSA. One on SW to Baltimore and then on Continental to Seattle. There was a TSA notice in the bag, but I had tent poles, stakes, lighters..all sorts of gear.

I let the bottle dry for a day in the sun, so I'm sure it was dry.

Stag

Using a match to check for fumes:-? :confused: ...me thinks this is a bad idea. How about just the sniff test.

12-03-2005, 00:54
There is no problem mailing or UPSing stoves and empty fuel bottles. I would make sure to leave to cap off of the bottle. We have checked with both shippers and people ship them to us all the time.

I would be carefull with the airlines. Most of the time there is no problem but we have had people arrive and have had their pack marked with the orange tag showing the pack had been searched and fuel bottle (and other items) have been removed.

TooTall
12-03-2005, 01:52
I was prevented from taking a used fuel bottle or stove on a plane last year. Even though I had emptied and dried out the fuel bottle they wouldn't allow it. They would only allow an unused fuel bottle or stove.

Too Tall Paul

Peaks
12-03-2005, 09:16
There are rules about stoves and fuel bottles on air planes. And different air lines can impose stricter rules.

If you want to be sure that your stove and fuel bottle gets there, then ship them UPS ground.

MacGyver2005
12-03-2005, 10:04
Rubbing alcohol is a much safer method for clearing out your fuel bottle. A little bit swilled around in the bottle will mix with the fuel and then quickly evaporate. You don't have to worry about painting on your eyebrows after using this method, either.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

fiddlehead
12-03-2005, 18:01
You could ship it to Walasi-Yi which is 30 miles from the start. Ship it via ground and it'll get there. Use alcohol in a beer can until you get it. Pick up alcohol on the way up to springer. YOu may even be able to carry alcohol, i don't know but if you can drink it, why not be able to carry it? have fun!

Scribe
12-03-2005, 21:27
I checked beforehand and couldn't get on United Airlines (going to Sea-Tac) with an empty stove and empty fuel container. UPS ground is the only sure way - shipped to myself and picked up in Olympia, WA. After backpacking at Olympia NP, I went to UPS in Port Angeles and shipped everything back to myself. A bit pricey, but better than getting thrown out of the airport.