PDA

View Full Version : Camp sandals/shoes ....UL but oh so comfy

Lnj
10-07-2015, 14:46
Is there any such thing? I want a foot massage feeling every time I settle down at camp and put my camp footwear on, but I don't want tons of weight either. I am trying hard to keep my pack weight down, which being the most typical woman and mother (feeling the need to be over-prepared for all contingencies) I am struggling with that already.

My first thought was Chacos, but I read here that they are pretty darn heavy. I absolutely LOVE my Sketchers Airwalk's, but they aren't open toe'd which I think will be a huge advantage after a long hiking day at the end of May.

Does anyone have the perfect camp shoe/sandal?

Vegan Packer
10-07-2015, 15:09
The lightest that I could find, which also double as stream crossers, are Vivobarefoot Ultras. Great for ventilation, super light, won't come off like thongs in mud or running streams.

Moosling
10-07-2015, 15:37
I just use the cheapest flip flops I can normally from Wally world or the Dollar Tree

cycle003
10-07-2015, 16:27
I don't really care for flip-flop type shoes, but there are some ultralight versions out there. Zero shoes (http://xeroshoes.com/) are one brand. I often take cushe slippers. They are a bit heavier (12.7 oz for my size 12), but they are comfy.

Different Socks
10-07-2015, 19:02
I still carry Crocs

ChrisJackson
10-07-2015, 19:26
Adidas Slides. They are heavy and fly off at the worst times...but pretty comfortable. I'm stickin' with 'em for now...but on the search for something else. I really like the look of the Zero sandals, but I want something open-toed that slips on (no straps/buckles)

cycle003
10-07-2015, 20:20
I still carry Crocs

The nice thing about Crocs and sandals are that they can do double duty for stream crossings.

Hangfire
10-07-2015, 21:14
I wore flip flops as camp shoes which are just fine as long as you don't have to walk further than 50 feet, after which my feet didn't like them so much.

shelb
10-08-2015, 00:02
I still carry Crocs

I, too, like my Crocs...

shakey_snake
10-08-2015, 00:55
Maybe just me but I like to sit on my ass when I'm not hiking.

I feel like it's a pretty good system. If I get to camp early, I get all my footwear required tasks done, then plop down on the ole caboose, give the dogs a breather and eat peanut M&Ms.

Actually, you should consider if you extra camp shoe weight was instead extra M&M's. Best camp shoes ever.

tflaris
10-08-2015, 09:41
We ran into a thru hiker "Drop Knife" and we were talking about camp shoes. She had a pair of imitation crocs and they were significantly lighter that the brand name Crocs.

We enjoy our crocs.

TF

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

tiptoe
10-08-2015, 12:03
I'm a fan of Crocs, but I tried Vivobarefoot on my last sections. They're a lot lighter and they stay on the feet better in streams, but the soles are very thin, so you feel every pebble you step on.

The Kisco Kid
10-08-2015, 13:17
Lightest camp shoes I could find with good cushion that won't break are Teva Mush II flip-flops. Zeroshoes offer zero cushion and are actually heavier than the Teva flip-flops!

Deacon
10-08-2015, 15:10
Waldies brand is a clone of Crocs. Look exactly the same except they are about a third of the weight of Crocs.

http://www.waldies.net/product_p/845091008.htm

OCDave
10-08-2015, 15:26
I tried Chacos and enjoyed Tevas for many years. I now have a pair of Luna Oso sandals that join me on every trip. Somewhat expensive but, worth every penny from my perspective.

http://lunasandals.com

Good Luck

Ktaadn
10-08-2015, 15:33
The lightest, comfortable, camp shoes are trail runners, which you are already wearing, but untied. I have been know to walk around in my bare feet also if my shoes are pretty wet.

Cotton Terry
10-08-2015, 15:33
I carry the Croc Swiftwater. They aren't quite as light as the regular Croc, but I think more durable than the Croc, less likely to come off during a stream crossing, and a decent short term work around in the event of a major hiking shoe failure.

Lnj
10-08-2015, 16:41
Maybe just me but I like to sit on my ass when I'm not hiking.

I feel like it's a pretty good system. If I get to camp early, I get all my footwear required tasks done, then plop down on the ole caboose, give the dogs a breather and eat peanut M&Ms.

Actually, you should consider if you extra camp shoe weight was instead extra M&M's. Best camp shoes ever.

This is kind of where I am too. I will set up camp in my hiking boots, but when the work is done, I just want something open and comfy for my sore feet to rest in, that's waterproof, dries quick, lightweight, not smelly, easy on and easy off, that kind of thing. I was debating between Crocs and Tevas. I settled on Teva's just because there is a chance I could wear them out in public before and/or after hiking, in town or at home and Crocs are really just to be worn on the trail or inside. They are not cute IMHO. :)

gbolt
10-08-2015, 16:56
If you calculate you spend 16 hours awake and max 12 hours on the trail; the other four hours can be very important to your feet. One of the first things I do when I hit camp is to get out of the hiking shoes (or trail runners) to allow my feet to dry and breath around camp for the rest of the evening. I like flip flops that don't require the wedgy between the big toe, so I can leave my socks on, even in cold weather. The shoes are needed for middle of the night, 1st thing in the morning, and for stream crossings during the day, as well. Due to stream crossings, I like a back heel strap to hold the "Camp Shoe" on. After trying many options, including a Croc "sandal", I have settled on the reliable multi useful, Croc. Will worth the minor weight penalty and very durable on the feet.

fins1838
10-08-2015, 16:59
Timberland makes a very light shoe that folds in half & zips closed. Very cozy.

fins1838
10-08-2015, 16:59
Add Content

Lnj
10-08-2015, 17:04
If you calculate you spend 16 hours awake and max 12 hours on the trail; the other four hours can be very important to your feet. One of the first things I do when I hit camp is to get out of the hiking shoes (or trail runners) to allow my feet to dry and breath around camp for the rest of the evening. I like flip flops that don't require the wedgy between the big toe, so I can leave my socks on, even in cold weather. The shoes are needed for middle of the night, 1st thing in the morning, and for stream crossings during the day, as well. Due to stream crossings, I like a back heel strap to hold the "Camp Shoe" on. After trying many options, including a Croc "sandal", I have settled on the reliable multi useful, Croc. Will worth the minor weight penalty and very durable on the feet.

I hadn't planned to do anything but sleep in the middle of the night, and I planned to stay in my hiking boots to cross streams unless its really deep. I too want the backstrap, just in case of a hiking boot malfunction and the accidental need to actually hike a day or so in the sandals. I am going on a weekender over Halloween and will give these Tevas a shot then. I still have plenty of time to change to the Crocs before the longer section in May if these don't get it done for me.

Ashepabst
10-08-2015, 17:05
I switched to RocSocs recently as my water shoes. they double as camp shoes, but i generally don't bother with the extra weight unless it's a trip where i'll need water shoes.

the lightest models are 12oz, i think it is... nothing to sneeze at, but lighter than any other full enclosure shoes that i know of.

gbolt
10-08-2015, 20:35
I hadn't planned to do anything but sleep in the middle of the night, and I planned to stay in my hiking boots to cross streams unless its really deep. I too want the backstrap, just in case of a hiking boot malfunction and the accidental need to actually hike a day or so in the sandals. I am going on a weekender over Halloween and will give these Tevas a shot then. I still have plenty of time to change to the Crocs before the longer section in May if these don't get it done for me.

Your 42... I am 55. Wish I could sleep through the night! But my Bladder occassionally has other ideas between 2 and 4 in the morning. Some nights I make it through fine...but many a night I just need to step into camp shoes and walk off my porch and into the nearby woods to get relief and check out the moon and stairs. Honestly, it is nice to stretch and commune with night time nature.

I use to skip camp shoes and just slipped on unlaced boots. Not nearly as comforting and woke me up more than I wanted or enjoyed. That's why I mentioned the middle of the night. It often is not mentioned when discussing camp shoes.

scrabbler
10-08-2015, 22:11
The lightest, comfortable, camp shoes are trail runners, which you are already wearing, but untied. I have been know to walk around in my bare feet also if my shoes are pretty wet.

I agree on all points ... BUT ... my feet thank me for putting them in something "different" after a long hot/wet day.

Ksbcrocks
10-08-2015, 22:19
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/08/98f3388bafbb485c945b3f1c6cc7a7c4.jpg

I've started using a piece of a $2 sit pad off of eBay with a piece of shock cord and a cord lock. Only thing I've used that is lighter is reflectix with some mini cord ran through for the thong part.

Vegan Packer
10-08-2015, 23:32
BTW, my Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures weigh 7.2 ounces. Rather than say "and they are pretty light," it would be nice to hear about your alternatives with the weight included.

Rain Man
10-09-2015, 09:52
Sorry, but I've tried Crocs and think they fail. Way too slippery, inside and out, when the least bit wet. Almost as bad, they don't compress at all for packing.

I have been taking some Teva flip-flops recently, but can't wear socks with them. Just got a pair of Bokos and am taking them this weekend to try out. Weigh 13.2 oz for the pair.
http://www.bokosusa.com/

Rain Man

rafe
10-09-2015, 10:29
Been all over the map on camp shoes, including the option "none." I go barefoot at camp, as much as possible, so my feet can air out. Of course, if it's chilly out, you want warmth, right? I wear my spare socks in the tent or shelter, and peel them off and go barefoot when I need to move about, at camp.

I bought a cheap pair of Minnetonka moccasins in Gatlinburg and they worked OK, except when the ground was wet or muddy.

Years later I carried "Waldies" (expensive, lightweight Crocs) for a while but they never fit quite right and the straps broke.

When I started walking in running shoes and trail runners I didn't carry any camp shoes, and didn't miss them.

saltysack
10-09-2015, 12:09
I carry the Croc Swiftwater. They aren't quite as light as the regular Croc, but I think more durable than the Croc, less likely to come off during a stream crossing, and a decent short term work around in the event of a major hiking shoe failure.

Duck tape is a short term cure for blown out trail runners...[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sideshow11
10-12-2015, 10:58
Take a look at OOFOS....my slides are super comfy....I LOVE coming home from work, slipping off my dress shoes, and sliding into them....I am really thinking of taking them on our next trip....I have the slides and they weigh 11.9 ounces......

Lnj
10-12-2015, 12:18
Your 42... I am 55. Wish I could sleep through the night! But my Bladder occassionally has other ideas between 2 and 4 in the morning. Some nights I make it through fine...but many a night I just need to step into camp shoes and walk off my porch and into the nearby woods to get relief and check out the moon and stairs. Honestly, it is nice to stretch and commune with night time nature.

I use to skip camp shoes and just slipped on unlaced boots. Not nearly as comforting and woke me up more than I wanted or enjoyed. That's why I mentioned the middle of the night. It often is not mentioned when discussing camp shoes.

LOL!!! I see. I thought that's what Gatorade bottles were for! :) I can see your point though. I definitely want something comfortable to relax in at the end of the day, before bed time.

gbolt
10-12-2015, 22:22
LOL!!! I see. I thought that's what Gatorade bottles were for! :) I can see your point though. I definitely want something comfortable to relax in at the end of the day, before bed time.

Would it be bragging if I said my tool was to large, or the Gatorade bottle was to small??? :banana
Plus my eyes are not much better than the bladder, so it could be an aiming problem as well! :banana
Finally I might forget whether the yellow is Gatorade or Urine...they look about the same! http://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://96fe5db9-19e6-40a4-a6cb-cfaeb24dd6ec/imagegif

Getting old is sometimes not what it's cracked up to be. But it does allow more time for hiking!

coastwatcher42
10-14-2015, 03:23
Would it be bragging if I said my tool was to large, or the Gatorade bottle was to small???

Then perhaps reduction surgery is in order. It would probably save quite a bit of weight. :)

gbolt
10-14-2015, 10:29
Then perhaps reduction surgery is in order. It would probably save quite a bit of weight. :)

That surgery would truly make me a gram Weinie...:rolleyes::p

Lnj
10-14-2015, 13:20
ROTFL!!! This thread went south in a hurry, but what a hoot!!!

The Kisco Kid
10-14-2015, 16:27
My Teva flip-flops are 7.4/pair in size 12. Another poster said their Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures were 7.2 ounces. I'm betting my feet are bigger, so my Tevas are lighter, and actually provide really good cushion.

Flip-flops can easily be worn with socks. Putt the sock off your foot a bit and put the flip flop on. There will be plenty of give between the big toe for the thong.

Not sure why all the ideas about stream crossings. On the A.T. you'll only need to wear them in Northern Maine where their are a few fords.

gbolt
10-14-2015, 17:30
ROTFL!!! This thread went south in a hurry, but what a hoot!!!

True...so lets get back on topic... This thread went south in a hurry, but what a "CROC"!