PDA

View Full Version : What's a Better Overnight Hike: Bennington to N.Adams or Glastonbury Loop?

jESQa
10-08-2015, 12:37
Doing an overnight this weekend. Which would be a better hike- a straight 18 mile section from Bennington VT/Rt 9 down to MA 2 North Adams (requires staying in Seth Warner shelter) or a loop starting at VT 9 up to Glastonbury Mtn (camp at Goddard) and back down the West Ridge Trail -20 mi? I've checked the maps, but would appreciate some input based on experience. Difficulty level of either? Will either be desolate or crowded? Hard to get a tentsite? Thanks!

mrcoffeect
10-08-2015, 18:51
Ive done that loop. not much for views on west ridges trail. and no water. tank up at goddard.

mrcoffeect
10-08-2015, 19:02
the sunset views from the fire tower behind goddard shelter make that the better bet of the two choices i think. and ive never seen it crowded there, though i would expect some company up there.

mattjv89
10-08-2015, 19:08
I can't comment on the West Ridge part of that trail but I would prefer the hike to Glastenbury. There's not much in the way of scenery from MA 2 to VT 9 except for a little view from Harmon Hill just south of 9. That section is also in pretty rough shape with badly eroded trail, blowdowns and booby trapped bog bridges as soon as you cross into VT, or at least it still was about two months ago. I met a GMC maintainer who mentioned an MA club used to be in charge of the section from the border to Rt. 9 but dropped it somewhere along the line so perhaps the GMC has been able to spruce it up a little by now.

Glastenbury has a nice view and you'll be able to climb to the top of the tower unlike the Stratton tower which I believe is locked by now. If you like shelters Goddard is a very nice large one. If you prefer to tent, you'll find much more flat ground going a couple tenths up to the top of Glastenbury from the shelter, there is very limited tenting behind Goddard shelter and none of it is totally flat. You have a bit of a climb coming out of Rt. 9 but the section between Nauheim Shelter and the final climb up Glastenbury is very mild.