PDA

View Full Version : 10 day trip from Roan mtn. tn(us19e) to allen gap

10-08-2015, 13:04
First off thanks for all the comments and insight on my other post. Im a week away from my trip. I will be starting friday and hoping the weather is right to camp at grassy ridge bald after stan murray shelter the first night. How is the wayer situation in these parts. Im sending a resupply box to uncle johnnys. Is there a particular camp spot that i shouldnt miss? Ive got my itinerary pretty much wrapped up but could tweak it if needed. Any other info on this section will be welcome. Thanks again guys/gals

Gambit McCrae
10-08-2015, 14:13
Greasy Creek Gap trail left down logging road brings you to Greasy Creek Hostel which can be quite an event between CC the hostel owner and the crazy next door neighbor.
I would stay on top of Unaka Mountain just north Erwin, and I would not stay at Uncle Johnny's but that is only my opinion. Pretty uneventful section of trail actually. I would try and dry camp on top of big bald as well.

Grassy Ridge bald is about a 1 mile off trail walk, I don't know if there is water up there, I believe it is on the far side of camping up yonder.
I would get water just north of there as it comes across the trail. If all is dry there, there has always been water on roan at some place or another.

Stubby
10-08-2015, 14:13
I did the last 20 miles of that about 1 month ago, a 1-night trip.

Water on that section was easy to find, probably easier now after all the rain.

I heard from a hiker we met that we shouldn't have skipped two overlooks... they are well marked and apparently very short side trails. I assumed incorrectly that they were long diversions. Can't remember the names... White Cliffs? Black Rocks? Something like that. Would have been a few miles before Jerry Cabin Shelter (old, little, right on the trail, we stayed at a dry tent site a mile or so north of it).

Look for the salamanders that come out all over the ground after dark.

Sorry I don't have information for points north of Devils Fork Gap.

Gambit McCrae
10-08-2015, 14:17

This is the overlook that stubby speaks of 14'

10-14-2015, 12:44
Thanks for the input folks. Im not staying at Johnnys just sending resupply box there. Any new updates as i leave tomorrow. Looks like weather should be nice for the next 10 days with thursday next week being the biggest threat for rain. Thanks for your input.

MuddyWaters
10-14-2015, 14:49
Double post.

MuddyWaters
10-14-2015, 14:51
Water was tight for 10 miles each side of erwin before the storms. It was ok end of last week, but can dry up again. There was no water at no business shelter, some other shelters were only places with water, trail sources were dry in some spots last week still.

The Cleaner
10-14-2015, 18:24
Today's local forecast is for 30's here in the upper TN valley on Saturday and Sunday mornings, highs only near 55* both days.It will be windy and probably 20* colder on the open balds.Possible snow flurries too.I'd expect to see winds as high as 20 to 40 mph on the open balds too.Add to that a high temp around 35* to 45* and it's gonna be a cold one up there for at least 3 to 4 days. :eek:

The Cleaner
10-14-2015, 19:19
Freeze warning for the upper east TN valley Saturday and Sunday AM.Coldest air so far this fall heading this way for the weekend.Windy too in the higher elevations.Temps return to more normal next week,expect highs in the 50's in the mountains.