PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Lightweight Tent, 1P, Sub 2lb, Under $200

edu
10-08-2015, 13:36
Edit: Changed the title of the thread. Was "WTB: Lightweight Tent, 1P, Sub 2lb, Under $200." After seeing all the great suggestions/offers, I've realized the TT Notch is what I really want.

I've been a hammock camper for a few years. The only time I've gone to ground since 2011 is for Philmont in 2013. Philmont does not allow hammocks. In 2013, I shared a reasonably light tent with a fellow leader. We are planning our trek for 2016 and this time I want to use a solo tent and want to keep my Big 3 to less than 6lbs. I have the pack (Gossamer Gear, 28oz or so). I'm planning on making a down quilt, and with the pad,that should a little over 2 lbs. This leaves me with up to 2 lbs for the tent. Less will be better.

I haven't done tons of research on light one-person tents, but I do like the Tarptent Contrail, ProTrail and Notch. I'm open to other options. My requirements are:

- 1 Person, or 1+
- 3 season
- Under 2 lbs
- Prefer double wall, but am open to either. In either case, ventilation is important.
- Can't require tying to trees for support (Philmont rules)
- Can't be a Bivy (another Philmont rule)
- Must be fully enclosed (i.e. can't be a tarp or fly covering a ground cloth, per Philmont)
- I will be using trekking poles, so that will be available to support the tent.
- Side Entry*
- Bathtub Floor*
- In new or close to new condition*
- Budget is up to $200, but would prefer to be around $150.

Thanks

*new requirements added based on what I've learned/realized through this thread.

Dochartaigh
10-08-2015, 13:46
A TarpTent ProTrail, brand new, is $209....seems to meet all your requirements, you already said you like it, and it's only $9 over your $200 limit...seems like a no-brainer.

edu
10-08-2015, 13:57
A TarpTent ProTrail, brand new, is $209....seems to meet all your requirements, you already said you like it, and it's only $9 over your $200 limit...seems like a no-brainer.

For some reason, I was thinking the Pro-trail was more expensive. With shipping, the cost to my door would be $223. I should have said that I liked the features of the Notch but would also consider the Pro-trail or Contrail for the right price. I will probably go with the Pro-trail, new from Tarptent, if I have no luck on the second hand market.

I'm budgeting $200, but would prefer to be around $150.

Old Hiker
10-08-2015, 15:28
With your budget, I’m hesitant to suggest LightHeart SoLong 6 or even the Solo.

With your weight limitations, I’m hesitant to suggest the Alps Zephyr 1.

Still, on Steep and Cheap for about a day left, they are having some pretty good tent sales. The weights are over the 2 pound limit, though.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/fall-camping-essentials (http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/fall-camping-essentials)

Any wiggle room in budget or weight? Good luck.

edu
10-08-2015, 16:37
Thanks for the the link. I'll take a look.

Budget? I can afford more, but I'm a tightwad. Actually, if I wasn't already into hammocks, I'd probably spend a good bit more than the stated budget.

Wiggle room on the weight? Just a little, but I'd rather flex on the budget than the weight.

Decibel
10-08-2015, 18:27
I have a Nemo Obi1 Elite that has been used for one night. It's 1lb 15 ounces.I'll let it go for $200.

edu
10-08-2015, 22:25
Thanks, Decibel. The Nemo look like a possibility. Let me do a little research. Do you have the footprint?

Decibel
10-09-2015, 06:32
No, Footprints weigh too much. I just used a piece of 4 mil plastic that was hanging around.

Odd Man Out
10-09-2015, 08:22
What about Six Moon Designs Scout. It's only 125$ . It's 34 oz which is 2 Oz over you limit but close. I used to have the SMD Trekker which is the same but a more expensive lighter weight version. They also have a lunar solo that is just under 180$ and 30 oz. I'm not familiar with that one but I believe it to be a more minimal single wall shelter.

ryjohnson09
10-09-2015, 08:51
Check out this tent (https://microhiking.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/six-moon-design-lunar-solo-le-review-and-setup-2015/) I purchased a few weeks ago...I had it professionally seem sealed but I'm sure if you are trying to save money, you can keep it under $200.

edu
10-09-2015, 10:28
Thanks for the suggestions on the SMD. Although I'm starting to lean heavily towards the TT notch, I'll keep the SMD tents on the radar, especially the new Lunar Solo.

Yankee15
10-21-2015, 18:35
I have a notch for sale, thru hiked with it this year, 165 days minus towns/shelters, in great shape with no leaks or damage, 199 shipped to your door :P

Starchild
10-21-2015, 18:50
What's a Philmont?

rafe
10-21-2015, 19:31
Eureka Solitaire $74 at Campmor, but a bit over 2 lbs. An older version of this tent kept me dry and snug for many years and many miles.

nsherry61
10-21-2015, 21:25
I'd tell Philmont to stay out of my bedroom! And, let me pitch whatever shelter I please so long as it doesn't damage the environment.

Sandy of PA
10-21-2015, 21:29
Philmont is a BSA ranch in New Mexico. They have to have rules due to campsites that have been used for years along with bears and mountain lions. Safety of the boys is very important.

edu
10-22-2015, 09:26
Philmont is a BSA ranch in New Mexico. They have to have rules due to campsites that have been used for years along with bears and mountain lions. Safety of the boys is very important.

Correct. Philmont has a number of rules which we may see as silly, but there usually is a reasonable explanation. Philmont provides a backcounty wilderness experience for scouts that most would not normally get. Breaking the set rules or arguing how they don't apply to me, takes away from the scout's experience.

Rafe: My son has a Eureka. I'm not a fan of the entry and condensation is an issue. I may pull it out to see how much I can lighten it up by changing the poles from fiberglass to aluminum.

Yankee 15: We've exchanged emails on your TT Notch. Although the notch is still my #1 choice, I want to hold off for a bit to see if I can find one with not as many nights.

nsherry61
10-22-2015, 09:48
Breaking the set rules or arguing how they don't apply to me, takes away from the scout's experience.

I knew there was a reason I hated boy scouting. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that the Philmont experience is available to today's scouts. It really does appear open up access to quality outdoor experiences for kids that otherwise wouldn't have them. Saddly, for me, in bygone years at least, the idea that "the boy scout way" was to not question practices and rules that seemed really stupid and outdated if not just completely wrong-headed was sad and in itself, badly misguided.

Except in emergency situations, Always, respectfully question authority!

edu
10-22-2015, 10:22
nsherry, most (but not all) of Philmont rules do have a reasonable explanations. The BSA has to set rules based on the "least common denominator" for the safety of the masses. It is up to troop leaders to recognize when the rules lack reason. We then have to educate the scouts on how to recognize when rules should be questioned, how to respectfully question them and how to find reasonable solutions. We will push the edge on some of the rules, and may step slightly over the line as long as we follow the spirit. But it won't be on the issue of tents.

Just Tom
10-22-2015, 13:31
I think you could combine a inner net tent (like this http://bearpawwd.com/net_tents/walled_net_tent.php, or MLD has a nice one but more spendy) to fulfill the "must be enclosed" requirement and then you could add a silnylon tarp to go with your trekking poles and come in under two pounds and under $200 without trying too hard.

edu
10-22-2015, 14:10
I think you could combine a inner net tent (like this http://bearpawwd.com/net_tents/walled_net_tent.php, or MLD has a nice one but more spendy) to fulfill the "must be enclosed" requirement and then you could add a silnylon tarp to go with your trekking poles and come in under two pounds and under $200 without trying too hard.

I've thought about this. I'm in the process of of making a basic tarp for my hammock. After than I'm going to make a down quilt. If those turn out well, I will consider it further. I still would prefer a side entry and am not sure if my limited sewing skills could handle that.

egilbe
10-22-2015, 15:11
Sounds like you want a tarp. If you hammock camp, you must already have one, right? Just use that.

oh I see, can't be a tarp for Philmont. Yeah. That is one of their dumber rules.

jgamez94
10-22-2015, 18:12
I have a Catch and release SMD Refuge Silnylon version. I could let go for $195 shipped. Let me know if your interested.

Damn Yankee
10-23-2015, 09:05
I have a double walled Yama mountain Gear 1 person tent consisting of the tarp and bug net. Like new with lines and I'll throw in stakes and stuff sack and weighs about 1.5lbs. for $150 shipped.

kibs
10-23-2015, 09:20
I'd tell Philmont to stay out of my bedroom! And, let me pitch whatever shelter I please so long as it doesn't damage the environment.
Hilarious!!!

edu
10-23-2015, 09:58
Jgamez94: Thanks for the offer. I had to look up the SMD Refuge. I like the side entry, but the lack of a bathtub floor kills it for me.

Damn Yankee: I really want the side entry, like the TT Notch

side note-I need to let this thread die so I can start a new one that says "WTB-Tarptent Notch" :).

edit: instead of letting the thread die, I changed the title of my initial post.

Edit #2: Found a tent. Not a Notch., but should work for me

dkap09
12-03-2015, 00:53
Selling my contrail if you're interested. Only used a few nights. Seam sealed by TT. Name your price.

JeffreyCPA
05-03-2019, 19:43
Hi,

Ihave Light-heart Gear SoLong 6 for sale.green, includes awning pole, stakes, stake stuff sack and tent stuff sack

31oz.

The tent is in excellent condition

$125 including free shipping in US.
Jeff
2066976040 text is interested

MtDoraDave
05-07-2019, 16:38
Hi,

Ihave Light-heart Gear SoLong 6 for sale.green, includes awning pole, stakes, stake stuff sack and tent stuff sack

31oz.

The tent is in excellent condition

$125 including free shipping in US.
Jeff
2066976040 text is interested

Thread was from 2015.
If your solong is in good condition, it may sell quicker in the for sale section... Looks like a good price.