PDA

View Full Version : Water around Roan Mountain

beaudetious
10-08-2015, 20:28
I'm out for a nice four day walk from Iron Mountain Gap to Hampton, TN soon. How's the water situation in that stretch? Should I plan on carrying a load of water or would it be possible to camel up frequently and save some weight?

Dancing banana 'cause I'm so excited to get back on the trail.

Tennessee Viking
10-09-2015, 07:58
Water should be no problem. Plenty of reliable sources. Just don't collect close to 19E up to Campbell Hollow Rd crossing due to tainted sources.

Keep alert there have been bear encounters over the summer around the IMG area and north of 19E. Hang food.

beaudetious
10-09-2015, 08:54
Will do. The first thing I do when selecting a campsite is find two good trees for the ol' hammock and good tree for a PCT hang. Thanks.

Gambit McCrae
10-09-2015, 09:44
Great section here always had good water

Tennessee Viking
10-09-2015, 10:39
I used to maintain the AT with TEHCC. But you can usually read their newsletter for recent trail reports for Spivey Gap to TN/VA line.

http://tehcc.org/pdf/newsletters/newscurrent.pdf

beaudetious
10-09-2015, 11:06
Thanks TV, will read through it now.

martincr70
10-09-2015, 12:04
I was there about five weeks ago and water was low then. I found the road crossing at the bottom of Iron Mountain before heading up Roan Mountain (Hughes Gap) that to the left about .2 miles was a drain at the turn in the road that was trickling out just enough. I didn't have reliable water again until a trickle about a mile or two past Jane Bald. With all the rain we just got, you should be fine though.

Over Mountain Shelter is incredible and it is a ways downhill from the trail but it has a great water source.

beaudetious
10-09-2015, 13:37
Cool, I was planning on checking out the shelter already so that helps. Thanks.