PDA

View Full Version : 2015 vs 2016 AT Guide?

JackThLion
10-09-2015, 07:34
Hi all! Quick question..

I read on another thread that the next year's AT guide usually comes out in January. When this happens, does he sell the previous year's version at a discount? Or, say I was able to find a version to take off someone's hands from 2015, how much should I be worrying about out of date info? Obviously, shelter distances and whatnot won't have changed that much...

I'm not thru-hiking in 2016, just doing a 4 week section in July, so I'm trying to cut corners where I can... I do have the 2014 Thru-hiker's companion but wanted to have a read through the "other" guide. I'm also not very patient and not sure I want to wait until January to have it in my hands :D

Thanks for your help!
Alyssa

Rain Man
10-09-2015, 09:38
Why don't you ask him?

mattjv89
10-09-2015, 11:04
I've never heard of AWOL directly selling the outdated guides though I'm sure you could find them for sale online. For a four week section as you're doing I wouldn't spend a cent on a new one. Wouldn't hurt to double check on any lodging you're planning to use as places go out of business or change hands all the time. Other than that the actual trail section will still be mostly accurate. If you happen to hike through a section where the trail has been rerouted might have a head scratching moment of "it seems like that was longer than ## miles" but that's about it. I plan to use my '15 guide for many years to come.

JackThLion
10-09-2015, 11:09
I don't understand... Is he on WB or do you mean, via email? Don't tease the noob just cause she doesn't know stuff! :P

I guess I also was interested in what people's thoughts were about if I would be needing those updates for a section hike or if it's not as important. Not trying to be a cheapskate, I'm just not familiar with the book.

JackThLion
10-09-2015, 11:11
I've never heard of AWOL directly selling the outdated guides though I'm sure you could find them for sale online. For a four week section as you're doing I wouldn't spend a cent on a new one. Wouldn't hurt to double check on any lodging you're planning to use as places go out of business or change hands all the time. Other than that the actual trail section will still be mostly accurate. If you happen to hike through a section where the trail has been rerouted might have a head scratching moment of "it seems like that was longer than ## miles" but that's about it. I plan to use my '15 guide for many years to come.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I keep hearing people say they preferred the guide over the companion though so now I'm tempted... maybe I'm trying to rationalize the purchase. Planning is fun :)

slbirdnerd
10-09-2015, 11:13
You can download the PDF for like $9 form his website, print and carry the pages you need. Further, if you have this year's version and go next year, he also posts a list of shuttler/hostel type changes there as well. I don't believe the trail data itself changes enough form year to year to worry about having this year versus next's.

JackThLion
10-09-2015, 11:21
You can download the PDF for like $9 form his website, print and carry the pages you need. Further, if you have this year's version and go next year, he also posts a list of shuttler/hostel type changes there as well. I don't believe the trail data itself changes enough form year to year to worry about having this year versus next's.

Oooh! Not sure how I overlooked that (I only saw the book + PDF combo), but thanks!
Yay, instant gratification.

Deacon
10-09-2015, 11:22
I buy a new one every year. Since I hike a six to eight week section each year I want to make sure I catch the many changes in town info.