PDA

View Full Version : McAfee overnighter logistics

Rmcpeak
10-11-2015, 10:34
I'm all ears for suggestions about best way to do McAfee overnighter, arriving very late on a Saturday night with plan to hit McAfee at dawnish on a Monday. Here's what I posted another (less informed and experienced) forum:

OK gang, I'm working on rescheduling the cancelled-due-to-phantom-inland-hurricane triple crown hike for sometime later this week. We're only going to have one night so I am thinking of hiking SOBO from Daleville HOJO to rt. 311. This would allow us to hit McAfee early on a non-weekend morning. We would do Hojo to Lambert or Campbell (depending on our pace) on day 1, and then hit McAfee on day 2 and hike out. We can't get down there until fairly late 10-11 pm so it probably would be easiest to take the car up to 311 early on day 1, then get a shuttle back to start of hike. Is this my best plan? Any suggestions for who to call? I had worked with local outfitter on previous hike and communication with shuttle driver was a little sketchy (two days between e-mails) but not bad. I felt like it was 60% percent that he would show up. (No offense if you are reading this, just saying!) I'm a 100% with a backup plan kind of guy, is there a better shuttle option for early morning on Sunday from 311 back to to Hojo? Meeting at 311 late on Sat night and leaving car there is another option if no big vandalism concern. I am wary of late night rendezvous but would actually prefer not having to do it in the morning. Ughh! The joys of section hiking. Help!

flemdawg1
10-12-2015, 18:09
4 Pines Hostel is only 6 trail miles from 311. Call Joe @ 540-309-8615.

I'd suggest just leaving Hojo Sunday morning, as the camping is restricted to the Shelters and campsites. And its regularly patrolled by a ridgerunner.

Rmcpeak
10-20-2015, 20:36
We left hojo about 8 am, lunch at lambert's, camp at pig farm, mcafee at dawn on Monday, car at 311 by 10 am. Great hike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rmcpeak
10-20-2015, 20:36
Hojo 8 am Sunday morn, that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk