PDA

View Full Version : Post-Grad Hike 2016/2017

Magreth
10-11-2015, 15:26
Rather than go to grad school or get a "real job" right off the bat, I'm itching to take the leap and finally hike the trail SOBO. Still in my brainstorming phase, but I think realistically I'll be waiting until 2017 (I graduate in May of 2016) to get started. I haven't spoken with anyone who has thru-hiked before, so my only knowledge comes from lots of reading and film watching, but I'd love to chat with someone who has some experience or insight on what I'm getting myself into! I'm fortunate enough to attend school in the Adirondacks of New York, so I've got about 46 high peaks to train on before I get started, but from what I understand, the elevation is only a fraction of the experience.

At this point, I'm just reaching out for some pointers on anything and everything! Thanks

KitKaty
10-12-2015, 03:06
I'm not much help on thru hiking, I'm a section hiker. For what it's worth, I will tell you (having the experience of going through grad school) that the moment I was done spending 8 years in college I was ready to do something with my life that wasn't constricted by 4 windowless walls. I actually did another AT section. It'd be hard to postpone it for a year (unless you don't plan on having a "real" job for a year and half)....which BTW if you can financially do that, go for it.

I'm sure more experienced people will give you advice as well. It does sound like you are ideally set up for training. Just remember that it's almost entirely mental.

Magreth
10-12-2015, 12:10
thanks for your response! Ideally, I'll hop around on a few zip-lining, rafting gigs in Georgia and Tennessee for the next year and a half so that I can pay off some loans and pocket some cash, plus start some section hiking. I feel like I'm on the right track for mental prep, but I don't even know how my body will take this physically. Do you recommend bouts of section hiking prior to thru hiking?

elmobley
10-12-2015, 16:23
Hi do you have someone that you will be going with? I am also graduating in dec of 2016 and planning to leave april 2017 and looking for a hiking partner, or at least someone to meet up with every so often to check in. Interested?

Magreth
10-12-2015, 22:18
I don't have a partner yet, are you also SOBOing? It'd be rad to do that

katmiller
10-14-2015, 22:22
Hey! I am going to be doing the same! I graduate though in May of 2017 then that June I will be leaving to fly to Maine and thru-hike SOBO. I will be looking for a hiking partner because my mom does not really feel comfortable with me going solo although I'm sure we will meet plenty of cool people along the way :) But I have done plenty of hiking but have not talked to many thru-hikers and have not done much overnight hiking. But I am super duper pumped and ready to go! Sorry this isn't really any pointers though lol..

aimeekg97
12-14-2015, 11:39
I am interested in sobo in 2017. Would love to touch base and see about at least starting out together. I love in GA so I want to hike home. But if you are planning to work in GA, we can def get together and plan and do some hikes! Please hit me up and we can chat.