PDA

View Full Version : Trekking pole recommendations?

donthaveoneyet
10-11-2015, 20:25
Well, I did what I've laughed at others for doing - I drove off and left my poles at the trailhead after a nice hike today up in CT. Dangit. So I am in the market for a new pair. Here's my criteria, I would welcome any suggestions:

-Need to got to 140, to work with my Double Rainbow
-I don't like cork grips, prefer rubber grip
-I don't like "Z" poles, or twist lock, I want the folding lock kind (whatever you call it)
-Need to be three piece, basically telescoping, preferably down to 25-26 inches (to carry on sides of pack)
-No springy-thingy, just poles
-Weight is not the main criteria, but obviously would be nice to be lighter
-First thing I do is rip off the straps, so they could come without them (ala GG LT4's, which unfortunately don't go short enough)

I guess that's about it. FWIW, the ones I lost were REI Traverse poles, and I didn't particularly love them. They replaced an old set of Komperdells, which I will drag out of retirement for now.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not real up on the current market.

Thanks.

Sarcasm the elf
10-11-2015, 20:47
I'm actually angry that you asked this since I tried to link you to the poles I use and found that they have been discontinued (BD Contour elliptical poles)

These are probably your best bet (in my opinion), Black Diamond Trekking poles, I've used these a few times borrowed from a friend, solid, no shock system, flick lock fasteners, and have dense foam handles, which I've found I really prefer more than both cork and rubber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cduti9g5-E4

Regarding your TT Double Rainbow, I have the same tent and in practice I very rarely bother to set it up in freestanding mode using hiking poles. When I initially bought it I thought that I would use the freestanding mode all the time, but it is quite easy to setup (with a bit of practice) just staked out. The only time I bother to use poles to put it in freestanding mode is when I am using a tent platform.

Traveler
10-12-2015, 06:40
I second what Elf said. BD poles, composite grips, nice padded wrist straps, adjustable in three pieces, closes down very short, flick locks, no shock absorber (you can get them with the shocks, but I don't care for that feature), and are pretty durable. I have a set now closing up on their 5th season and only have some minor strap wear in over 1500 miles of use.

Hummy585
10-12-2015, 07:49
BTW-Which trailhead did you leave them at? We can swing by and take a look...

donthaveoneyet
10-12-2015, 08:22
BTW-Which trailhead did you eave them at? We can swing by and take a look...

Southern parking area of the Macedonia Blue Loop. I doubt you'll find them, but looking would certainly be much appreciated. Lot was empty when I arrived at dawn yesterday, and packed when I left around 1:00. There were tons of cars at the AT crossing on 341, too, and Kent was a mob scene, I was trying to get the hell out of there ASAP.

Also, thanks for the suggestions on the BD's, will see what I can find.

donthaveoneyet
10-12-2015, 08:26
Regarding your TT Double Rainbow, I have the same tent and in practice I very rarely bother to set it up in freestanding mode using hiking poles. When I initially bought it I thought that I would use the freestanding mode all the time, but it is quite easy to setup (with a bit of practice) just staked out. The only time I bother to use poles to put it in freestanding mode is when I am using a tent platform.

I agree mostly, I and like it better staked and with the poles used for the "porch". However, if I'm gonna carry poles I figure I may as well get some that go to 140 in case I decide (or need) to set it up free standing.

eblanche
10-12-2015, 09:02
I use a pair of BD trail trekking poles. I love them. They have taken a lot of abuse over the past several years and still holding strong. I only worry a little bit that the poles are very thin and do not seem like they will be very durable compared to other poles like the alpine carbon cork.

They have the standard version (nice long hard foam grip with plastic locks), the trail pro with the updated metal flicklocks, and then they also have a lower end model with the older plastic flicklocks and a slightly different handle grip.

donthaveoneyet
10-12-2015, 10:47
I use a pair of BD trail trekking poles. I love them. They have taken a lot of abuse over the past several years and still holding strong. I only worry a little bit that the poles are very thin and do not seem like they will be very durable compared to other poles like the alpine carbon cork.

They have the standard version (nice long hard foam grip with plastic locks), the trail pro with the updated metal flicklocks, and then they also have a lower end model with the older plastic flicklocks and a slightly different handle grip.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the two versions. I think I like the grips on the older (? - cheaper?) version. But do you guys think the locks on those are good? Makes me wonder if they are now using a different lock...

Vegan Packer
10-12-2015, 15:47
I have Z-folding poles, which I know that you don't want, but they are Black Diamond, and they have all of the other features that you want. So far, I like them, though I have only used them for about ten days on the trail. The only thing that I don't love about mine are the straps. They made them so light weight that they are not the most comfortable.

Casey & Gina
10-12-2015, 16:51
I have Z-folding poles, which I know that you don't want, but they are Black Diamond, and they have all of the other features that you want. So far, I like them, though I have only used them for about ten days on the trail. The only thing that I don't love about mine are the straps. They made them so light weight that they are not the most comfortable.

I found the Distance Z poles too fragile-feeling. I just recently discovered the Alpine Z poles (http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles/alpine-carbon-z-pole-BD112174_cfg.html#start=1) which are wonderful! That's of no use to the OP because they aren't what he's after so I must apologize for the intrusion, but maybe you would like to give them consideration? They have cork handles (which you may or may not prefer), and wider comfortable straps. They are much more substantial than the Distance Z's

Franco
10-12-2015, 18:50
Donthaveoneyet,
as an alternative you could get a 135cm or so pole and buy from TT 2x 6" ext for $8 plus postage (0.63 ozx2) or do as I did (just for fun) buy a suitable sized curtain rail and cut it down to the size you want.

donthaveoneyet
10-12-2015, 19:19
Donthaveoneyet,
as an alternative you could get a 135cm or so pole and buy from TT 2x 6" ext for $8 plus postage (0.63 ozx2) or do as I did (just for fun) buy a suitable sized curtain rail and cut it down to the size you want.

Hi Franco,

...Curtain rail? Really? How the heck do you carry the darn thing?

I've thought about the extensions, and Henry certainly offers a lot of options. But... I mean, if I'm buying trekking poles, and I can get 135's or 140's... and the weight difference is negligible... and with thr 140's I can do the DR and various other things... I mean, it just makes sense to me to buy the longer poles.

Anyway, thanks, always appreciate your input on the TT issues.

Sarcasm the elf
10-12-2015, 20:22
I found the Distance Z poles too fragile-feeling. I just recently discovered the Alpine Z poles (http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles/alpine-carbon-z-pole-BD112174_cfg.html#start=1) which are wonderful! That's of no use to the OP because they aren't what he's after so I must apologize for the intrusion, but maybe you would like to give them consideration? They have cork handles (which you may or may not prefer), and wider comfortable straps. They are much more substantial than the Distance Z's

Two things about this:
1) Zpoles simply don't for work the type of hiking that I personally do. They probably work fine for others, but I hike year round and the elastic pieces that are supposed to pull the poles together get kind of useless when they get really cold (New England cold).
2) Generally speaking when you put a shock load onto a good pair of aluminum poles the are more likely to bend/bow out and then spring back into place. My older pair of BD poles were a lighter version and on several occasions a single pole would absorb my entire weight during a fall, bow out to a scary angle and then spring back into place as if nothing had happened. My understanding is that lightweight carbon fiber poles are stronger but do not have the ability to flex in this way, in these circumstance they would have likely shattered.
Just my two cents about what works for me. WMMV...

Franco
10-12-2015, 20:40
The key word in my comment was cut .

I don't know about there but you can buy, in hardware shops here, just the rod, they come in different colours/material and size.
Buy one in aluminium that is around 10mm or so * then CUT it down to size (tube cutter or hacksaw) and you are done.
* I took along my trekking pole to find a rod that the carbite tip of my poles fitted in.

Franco
10-12-2015, 20:44
BTW, the ones from TT are by Easton , much stronger than the hardware kind, but for the occasional use the DIY version will work.

gbolt
10-12-2015, 21:19
One thing not mentioned so far is customer service and ease of replacement for broken parts (although lost or left behind does not matter). While I am not anti BD... I chose Leki because of numerous reports of thru hikers that quickly and easily got replacement parts and or poles from Leki, but the same was not being said about BD. It may or may not be something to consider.

When I created a list of items (quick click locks, cork handles, weight, cost etc.) I found that either Leki or BD would have an item that would met the criteria. So for me, the deciding issue was perceived customer service in favor of Leki. I read about one individual that broke BD's on his AT Thru and switched to Leki on his PCT and stated that he will stick with Leki after owning both. Just something to consider because you are splitting hairs with any trekking pole not purchased at Wally World or Dicks.

Casey & Gina
10-12-2015, 22:13
Two things about this:
1) Zpoles simply don't for work the type of hiking that I personally do. They probably work fine for others, but I hike year round and the elastic pieces that are supposed to pull the poles together get kind of useless when they get really cold (New England cold).

That is unfortunate to hear...especially for a product with "alpine" in the name that includes snow baskets...well I will see for myself this winter! I still have Alpine Carbon Corks as a fallback if need be. And duct tape. ;)

Sarcasm the elf
10-12-2015, 22:21
That is unfortunate to hear...especially for a product with "alpine" in the name that includes snow baskets...well I will see for myself this winter! I still have Alpine Carbon Corks as a fallback if need be. And duct tape. ;)

Since you mention it, in a pinch duct tape would probably be an acceptable fix.

Vegan Packer
10-12-2015, 22:43

Mine are the Carbon Distance FLZ. Other than the straps, I love them. I find them quite sturdy, and they are only 13.4 ounces on my scale, with the rubber tips on, and they are rated at 12 ounces without the tips. I prefer the rubber handles to the cork.

LAZ
10-12-2015, 23:59
I purchased the Cascade Mountain budget poles, with flick locks and cork grips. I can't attest to durability as I fairly quickly snapped one. What I can say is that when I dropped an email message to the company, I heard back almost immediately saying they were sending me out a new pair.

KDogg
10-13-2015, 00:28
I have some LEKI carbon fiber poles that I like a lot. I snapped one crossing a stream (got it wedged between two rocks as I was hopping between rocks!) during a hike on Kauai this summer. Sent them a message asking about repair services. They replied with a return number and replaced them for free! Couldn't be happier with LEKI!

Hummy585
10-13-2015, 15:53
My son just got back from Macedonia, he took a good look around and unfortunately your poles were not there, sorry. Its pretty *****ty for someone to go and take them, perhaps what goes around comes around...

Traveler
10-13-2015, 16:01
A lot of items are turned in at the Ranger Station midway up the Valley Road in the Park. The public access phone number for the Ranger Station is 860 927 3238.

donthaveoneyet
10-13-2015, 19:47
Hey, thanks, guys! Wow, Hummy585, thanks and thank your son also, please. And AT Traveler, I thought about that, but didn't know how to contact them. I'll try calling tomorrow. You never know.

ChuckT
01-02-2016, 07:59
Did your poles ever come back?
I left my carbons (!) at a parking lot after a day hike and managed to get them back 3 days later.
All 4 sets that wife and I have now wear name tags.
BTW Pacerpoles (my latest set) have not been mentioned. The anatomical grip is kind of an interesting concept. My pinkie fingers sweat up the shelf on them though that may be a local, Florida, phenomenon, YRMV of course.

Vegan Packer
01-03-2016, 03:58
All 4 sets that wife and I have now wear name tags.

Good idea, not only for that but for all of my gear. I really have to get around to doing something like this for things before this coming season.

gbolt
01-03-2016, 11:00
Good idea, not only for that but for all of my gear. I really have to get around to doing something like this for things before this coming season.

Agree! Wonder if Nail Polish Letters on the Top of the Hand Grips would work? Or maybe smarter to just use a black magic marker like good Ol' mom and underwear!

ChuckT
01-03-2016, 12:17
Black paint pen and cover with clear tape?

coach lou
01-03-2016, 13:09
BD, Ergo cork w/flip locks.......3 years............they hold me and my tarp up!

ChuckT
01-03-2016, 13:20
I use mine to prop up one edge of my hammock tarp. Flip them point up thru the see rings.

Turk6177
01-04-2016, 00:03
I am not sure of the length, but my carbon fiber poles from REI have served me well so far. They seem to have all the features you are looking for.

pauly_j
01-04-2016, 07:10
Black Diamond Trail Back.

Cheap and tick all the boxes.

ChuckT
01-04-2016, 09:09
Labeling trekking poles - one thing to keep in mind is that _some_ carbon fiber _may_ be susceptible to surface etching. (Yeah, I know, weasel words.) Where the paint could etch and weaken the surface which may eventually fracture the shafts. Is that bound to happen? Probably not but it's cheaper to do the right thing first, it also helps my peace of mind as less to obsess about going over hills or crossing streams.
OCD forever😨.

01-04-2016, 10:33
Well to get back to hiking poles to buy, my first pair had hard handles and bruised my hands and were slippery when wet. 2nd pair were Hamner which were taller than most 5' but heavy and the foam grips were still to hard. I now use mountainsmith treker FX. Very tall, strong and the softest grips of any pole I have ever touched. They are called monopods as they have a camera screw under the foam cap.

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:49
If you're looking for a pair of high quality poles at a cheap price, I would recommend Pace Maker Stix. They make a model with all of the features you need for about $50 last time I checked (I could be wrong by now). The poles were sturdy as well, and Pace Maker Stix will replace your tips or anything else that needs replacing, no questions asked, for a year. They are a bit heavier than a more expensive pair of Loki poles, however.

Tennessee Viking
01-04-2016, 12:53
I have gotten nice fancy poles and they lasted 6 months or not even the first trip out. I get the Coleman or Eddie Bauer brand at Target and Walmart and they last for years.

adamfbomb
01-05-2016, 01:08
http://www.amazon.com/Expedition-Trekking-Vulcanized-Rubber-Attachments/dp/B008CK5JHY

Cannot be beaten for the price and warranty IMO.

paule
01-05-2016, 01:38
One thing not mentioned so far is customer service and ease of replacement for broken parts (although lost or left behind does not matter). While I am not anti BD... I chose Leki because of numerous reports of thru hikers that quickly and easily got replacement parts and or poles from Leki, but the same was not being said about BD. It may or may not be something to consider.

When I created a list of items (quick click locks, cork handles, weight, cost etc.) I found that either Leki or BD would have an item that would met the criteria. So for me, the deciding issue was perceived customer service in favor of Leki. I read about one individual that broke BD's on his AT Thru and switched to Leki on his PCT and stated that he will stick with Leki after owning both. Just something to consider because you are splitting hairs with any trekking pole not purchased at Wally World or Dicks.
I have heard the same from at least two people last july

tulip2016
01-05-2016, 08:00
Hi I like the youtube you shared. Nice poles and wonderful song and music. It must be a nice time when hiking. It is my dream.

tulip2016
01-05-2016, 08:02
I'm actually angry that you asked this since I tried to link you to the poles I use and found that they have been discontinued (BD Contour elliptical poles)

These are probably your best bet (in my opinion), Black Diamond Trekking poles, I've used these a few times borrowed from a friend, solid, no shock system, flick lock fasteners, and have dense foam handles, which I've found I really prefer more than both cork and rubber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cduti9g5-E4

Hi I like the youtube you shared. Nice poles and wonderful song and music. It must be a nice time when hiking. It is my dream.