PDA

View Full Version : Here's a challenge:

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-11-2015, 23:43
Help me find a pack under a $100 that is lightweight (3 top lbs) and long-distance hike capacity.

go!

because I have not had any luck.

Ercoupe
10-12-2015, 05:40
I picked up the newer REI flash 62 last spring for 99$. AT 3 lb for the large. Lots of features and it rides on my hips, not my behind. Lacks a removable top, buckles easily added. Price much higher now but watch for sales. Many manufactures have year end sales. Good Luck!

kayak karl
10-12-2015, 06:29
i bought both my Katahdin Ultralite Pack and GoLite Pinnacle for $90 ea. but i can't remember if i used a coupon or it was a sale.

Hummy585
10-12-2015, 07:40
REI outlet has the Gregory Savant 38 on clearance for 99 bux, it retailed for 180...

garlic08
10-12-2015, 08:06
Gossamer Gear has several that often go on sale for under $100. You'll have to sign up for their e-newsletter. I recently got my new G4 for $80.

I recently sold a Mountainsmith Approach 50 that lists for over $100, but could be bought new on eBay for $80 or less, so I priced it accordingly.

Traveler
10-12-2015, 08:41
The used gear market tends to be good place to find gear that meets various requirements including pricing. This market is also typically an "all sales final" environment, so fit may become an issue if the pack is not well described or the buyers notion of what should fit differs from their actual fit parameters.

Retailers typically have a fairly broad spectrum of packs to meet various needs, including sizing. The trick here is to identify the pack(s) you like and wait for store sales to bring them into financial reach.

While I understand the drivers of gear selection based on price, there are a few things pricing should be a second tier consideration. Much like footgear, packs can be extremely uncomfortable if they are not properly sized or fitted to the individual.

Ktaadn
10-12-2015, 09:01
I paid $69 for my Granite Gear Virga. I really like it.

colorado_rob
10-12-2015, 09:21
I picked up the newer REI flash 62 last spring for 99$. AT 3 lb for the large. Lots of features and it rides on my hips, not my behind. Lacks a removable top, buckles easily added. Price much higher now but watch for sales.Yep, pretty decent pack, on sale often for less than $100 (or right at). Or catch an Osprey on sale, the Hornet tends to be on sale a lot (might be discontinued by now though....).

Basically, I surf REIoutlet.com a lot because there are some screaming deals there often on packs, plus REI runs an additional 20% off (of sale prices) often on outlet stuff.

Venchka
10-12-2015, 09:34
Help me find a pack under a $100 that is lightweight (3 top lbs) and long-distance hike capacity.

go!

because I have not had any luck.

A better idea of the capacity you are looking for would be helpful. Long distance with frequent resupply, meaning an endless series of 3 day weekend jaunts between grocery stores? Or long distance way back in the woods self-contained for a week or longer?
How bulky and heavy is your gear? What load range do you need? How many days of food and how much water will you need to carry on average and maximum?
A pack for 20-25 pound loads and one for 30-35 loads usually means two different packs.
Gender specific? Male or female?
Lots of choices to make. All packs are not created equal.

Wayne

DawnTreader
10-13-2015, 01:13
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/Fusion50.html

Great Pack. $100 for last seasons Fusion 50

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-14-2015, 22:11
Oops, I should of mentioned that much. I measured my height and I should beating top medium low large. (19-21inchs). I am female, but it doesn't effect me as much for female based packs. My guess in weight would be 30bs.

As far as likes: I do like top loaders, and gear pockets on the belts.

Heres a update: I so far like the jam sport katadin 50l, but at 3,000 l is it big enough? I would be going with a penny stove cook set with grease pot, marmot sleeping bag, and Dutch hammock. The marmot is light but only packs down to about the size of a bowling ball.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-14-2015, 22:15
Bad typos from malfunctioning iPhone update. Seriously Apple is screwing my phone up with each new update

MuddyWaters
10-14-2015, 23:09
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/Fusion50.html

Great Pack. $100 for last seasons Fusion 50

++

Or the 65 for $110

You wont do better than those deals db or quality packs

Deadeye
10-16-2015, 18:01
I'm not helping until you change your name.:)

PackHorse
10-16-2015, 20:19
Bought my ULA Catalyst for $80 off Craigslist.