PDA

View Full Version : Water Report Request: Catawba, VA to Daleville, VA

carouselambra
10-12-2015, 08:03
Going to do the segment between Catawba, VA and Daleville, VA this weekend. I wanted to know if anyone had a recent water report at Catawba Mountain Shelter and Lambert's Meadow. Thanks.

carouselambra
10-18-2015, 21:05
Just got back today. Since this was a weekend trip we carried in water to get us through the first night and through lunch. Stayed at Lamberts Meadow campsite and the stream was flowing very well.

Pastor Bryon
10-18-2015, 22:44
Thanks for the update! Headed thru this section this week. Anything else of note?

carouselambra
10-20-2015, 12:42
Thanks for the update! Headed thru this section this week. Anything else of note?

We got on the trailhead in Catawba at 6pm on Friday night. We dropped off hikers and moved all but one vehicle to the parking lot in Daleville and then we took one vehicle back to the parking lot at Catawba, which was very crowded. The drivers got on the trail at 7:15pm. We got the the first shelter (Jones) and it was empty. There were a couple of people at the picnic table and they were going to tent there. Our hikers were not there and so we hiked on to the Catawba Mountain shelter. The shelter was full with tenters around it. We moved onto the camping area just beyond it and our crew was there and about four other tents. Not a whole lot of level ground there, but not too sloped that it could not be tented on. We didn't get to bed until about 10pm. I woke up the next morning and there were tents all over the place from people who had come in during the night. It was pretty sad in that many of them had just left food laying out and their eating bowls and spoons left out with food residue in it. I can understand how varmints would be attracted to those folks. The walk to McAfee was not too bad and we spent about an hour there. We then hiked onto Tinker Cliffs. We passed one shelter and did not check the water source just before it. We spent a good break on Tinker Cliffs and had spectacular views. We did not camp at the Lamberts shelter, we instead went to the Lamberts Meadow camping area just a few hundred yard beyond it. It is an awesome area to camp as it has a lot of flat ground with some grass covering and a stream with good flow right beside it. We were the first ones there so we stayed in the area with the picnic table. The next morning we got up and hiked on in to Daleville to the parking area. There were some nice views on the hike in as well. One word of caution, as you approach Daleville you will cross some railroad tracks and a stream with a concrete bridge over it. Just beyond that the AT will turn to the left and there will be a path to the right. It is not marked, but the path to the right is the parking area. I uploaded a picture of the Lambert's meadow campsite and a view from Tinkers Cliffs.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61350&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=43121
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61351&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=43121