PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the whites Oct 10th

peakbagger
10-12-2015, 08:23
The local weather trends have shifted in the whites this year. Its was generally pretty reliable that there will be overnight snow on the high summits which usually melts off by mid day prior to September 30th and usually the peak foliage is the weekend closest to the last weekend of September. This year the peak foliage is generally regarded as two weeks late and looking out my window its at or near peak 3 miles north of Madison. A front came through Friday night and in the morning, there was snow on the trees down to around 2500 feet with noticeable snow on the ridges. I was on the Ethan Pond trail Saturday AM through Zealand Notch and the trees on Zeacliff had snow well down to the notch. We cut off the AT at Thoreau Falls trail at mid morning and I had to put on warmer gloves. I expect in the Pemi area, the temps didn't get much over 50 at one point at 5PM the temp on my car at the Zealand Parking lot read 38 degrees.

Hopefully the final group of flip floppers and Sobos have headed on through as most folks don't carry warm enough gear for this type of weather al though this year they got a 2 week bonus. Even if it doesn't snow, ice can form overnight and it can be treacherous in the morning as it just looks like a damp rock in the shade.

rafe
10-12-2015, 08:59
Saw a few photos taken at the summit of Whitecap Mtn. in ME just a few days ago, covered in rime ice. Central MA seems to be at peak leaf season right about now -- it was gorgeous on the Tully trail this weekend.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2015, 10:14
Waking up to see the summits a bit white Saturday morning was nice. Then it turned into a glorious weekend and the leaf peepers were everywhere. One last day of good weather today (I really need to go for a walk this afternoon), then it starts to rain on and off and ends with snow this Friday.

Thinspace
10-12-2015, 11:05
Stayed overnight at Nauman tentsite on Thursday into Friday. It started raining around dawn. It was in the 30's I would guess and I was wondering if it was snowing higher up. Nice pic Slo-go'en!

Thinspace
10-12-2015, 11:06
Is it just me or is the foliage not as vibrant this year. Seemed to be a bit dull to me.

rafe
10-12-2015, 11:10
Pretty vibrant in central MA this weekend. These pix from the Tully trail near Athol, MA.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2015, 14:10
Is it just me or is the foliage not as vibrant this year. Seemed to be a bit dull to me.

It's definitely peaking up here in the Whites right now. The colors are full and brilliant when the sun hits them at the right angle. Definitely at least a week or two behind normal. For a while there it didn't seem like anything was going to happen. I think last year was better, but that is really subjective.

BillyGr
10-12-2015, 14:20
There was a thought that it wouldn't be as good some areas due to the fact that it has been so dry for the last quite a bit of the season. Perhaps the fairly hefty doses of rain last week or so has helped out in some areas?

imscotty
10-12-2015, 15:48
I was in northern VT this weekend, and I thought the colors there were great. Fall foliage is incredibly late, but coming on fast. I look forward to the changes this coming week.

Slo-go'en, great photo. Is that across from Durand Lake? I was there the previous weekend and I could not believe how little color there was, things have changed fast!

MamaBear
10-12-2015, 15:53
Yes, nice to see the snow on South Twin & Galehead on Saturday!

Breezy but in the clear on Jefferson today, and bonus, the gliders were up!

I agree, I think the colors are/were at peak this weekend. Last weekend the colors weren't quite there, but the rime was fun on Adams/Maddy.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2015, 17:02
Slo-go'en, great photo. Is that across from Durand Lake? I was there the previous weekend and I could not believe how little color there was, things have changed fast!

Close, it was from the road overlooking the Ravine house pool.
Here's from the lake today:

egilbe
10-12-2015, 21:00
Gf wanted to hike Hedgehog Saturday and mt Washington was white. Very pretty from that distance. Today, from East Royce, Mt Washington was all brown.

peakbagger
10-13-2015, 06:40
Long range forecast is snow again overnight Friday into Saturday. Looks like the hiking crowd needs to step up their game.

Another Kevin
10-13-2015, 13:37
Long range forecast is snow again overnight Friday into Saturday. Looks like the hiking crowd needs to step up their game.

Yeah, I saw that. And I'm on the hook to go with a big party for trail maintenance in the 'Dacks. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la grande pomme de terre.