PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Question

GolfHiker
10-12-2015, 14:45
We all do our best to eat well at home, but on the Trail it just can't happen ( as easily). Plenty of junk food, empty calories, all that. When you are accustomed to proper diet, nutrients, and maybe a few different vitamins, etc. ( A, D, B, Iron, etc., etc.) to supplement daily, what does everyone do on the trail. vits & bottles can be heavy and space takers, and powders just won't do. So what do you do???? I'm guessing a multi vitamin might be the answer.

I respect that we all view this differently, older vs. youthful, but good health & nutrition must certainly be important to all of us on a long distance hike!

I'm curious about this and I don't believe I've seen any posts. Apologies if I have not carefully scanned the Health, Food & Nutrition threads....

Thanks.

Heliotrope
10-12-2015, 15:20
As a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and avid backpacker I believe I am qualified to comment here. There are different nutritional components to consider as well as the individual 's unique metabolism and the length of the trip. One of the most crucial concerns is getting enough calories. Some people do this through ingesting food and burning reserves. If you are very lean to start calories become a big concern immediately as the body will catabolize muscle and fat to keep the energy supply going. The next consideration is getting enough quality protein to repair and maintain stressed muscle and connective tissue. Many hikers fail at getting enough. Then there are micro nutrients like vitamins aNd minerals. Common trail Foods like ramen, instant potatoes, cookies, candy bars, etc will not deliver these. My first question to a hiker would be: what food will you be bringing and eating regularly? Are you planning to do food drops or eat on the way? Will you be sending yourself dehydrated veggies? Will you carry fresh food in your pack? I believe as athletes we will perform better with optimal nutrition. It is possible to go far on body reserves and many do hike for months on snickers bars. The body does speak up with hiker hunger for calories and cravings for nutrient dense vegetables over time.

For me personally on week long trips I eat healthy but truly enjoyable foods and don't worry about the vitamin pills. On a thru hike I believe it is more important to supplement. Though in town food binges may be enough to replenish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
10-12-2015, 15:27
First, I make sure to eat as close to a proper diet as possible while on the trail. Other than a few adjustments, such as working around some things that don't dehydrate well, I eat almost the same diet on the trail as I do at home. I take my vitamins and medications, too.

I am amazed at the poor diet that some people eat on the trail. Then, right after they leave the trail, they head into town and eat the worst possible junk food and fast food poison, because they are feeling so deprived, and they want to have something that tastes good. When I leave the trail, I never feel like I am desperate, because I actually enjoy all of my trail meals, and that is not because I am so starving that I will eat anything. I continue to make the same exact meals at home that I eat on the trail; that is how much I enjoy them.

I want my trail experience to be positive all the way around. I want to be comfortable, eat good meals, and take care of myself, so that I can continue living and doing this for as long as possible. I do not want to feel like I am suffering or depriving myself when I go out into nature.

Stubby
10-12-2015, 15:40
There are a lot of companies selling freeze-dried meals with healthier ingredients that the ones that have been doing it a while.
There are also a lot of cottage companies selling delicious "instant" cuisine online, that are basically all the dried ingredients of a health soup or pasta meal, just add hot water, or boil for a while.

I generally eat grits or oatmeal and precooked bacon in the morning, dried fruit and nuts during the day, maybe some peanut butter and crackers, and then a freeze-dried meal for dinner. Maybe a candybar for dessert if I have room for it... because its good for my spirit.

Sandy of PA
10-12-2015, 20:52
I carry my vitamins packed by the day in tiny zip top bags from Walmart. I get Freeze dried foods in smaller cans from Emergency Essentials to create my own healthy meals. I can hard boil 6 eggs at a time in my cookpot and have carried them unrefrigerated for 3 days no problem. Cheese is wonderful. Nuts, dried fruit, and very dark chocolate travel well. My diet is gluten free, low carb. and close to what I eat at home.

Fredt4
10-12-2015, 23:23
Not licensed, but been hiking for many years and thru-hiked the AT in 2011. Truth is a calorie is a calorie and during a thru-hike you'll have difficulty eating enough and you'll lose weight. Initially that's good for most of us. Don't worry about eating right, just worry about eating enough. Your body will appreciate all the empty calories you can get on a thru. Eat lots of protein to allow your muscles to recover. At a triple crown hiker said, "Salads are a waste of time." Aim for 200 calories per ounce but accept that protein usually is much lower. That's ok, just add Olive oil. Depending on your next resupply consider fresh foods such as eggs, ham, whatever. When in town AYCE (All You Can Eat) is your best friend. All due respect to eating right, but I don't think it's very important on a thru as opposed to just eating. Your body will get rid of the little bit of stuff it won't need and will use everything else it so desperately needs. When you get back home start to worry about eating right again. Scott J. apparently is a vegetarian but doubt most thru-hikers can thru a a vegetarian diet. Multi-vitamins may be your thing but remember they are unproven.

shelb
10-13-2015, 00:41
I carry my vitamins packed by the day in tiny zip top bags from Walmart. .

I find those tiny bags in the jewelry section. I also use them for snacks.

Dogwood
10-13-2015, 00:46
We all do our best to eat well at home, but on the Trail it just can't happen ( as easily). Plenty of junk food, empty calories, all that. When you are accustomed to proper diet....what does everyone do on the trail. So what do you do????....

I don't buy into this at all! With some experimentation and imagination I've observed every dietary approach I'm broadly aware of be nicely adapted to trail life.

...There are different nutritional components to consider as well as the individual 's unique metabolism and the length of the trip. One of the most crucial concerns is getting enough calories. Some people do this through ingesting food and burning reserves. The next consideration is getting enough quality protein to repair and maintain stressed muscle and connective tissue. Many hikers fail at getting enough....

Then there are micro nutrients like vitamins aNd minerals. Common trail Foods like ramen, instant potatoes, cookies, candy bars, etc will not deliver these. My first question to a hiker would be: what food will you be bringing and eating regularly? Are you planning to do food drops or eat on the way? Will you be sending yourself dehydrated veggies? Will you carry fresh food in your pack? I believe as athletes we will perform better with optimal nutrition. It is possible to go far on body reserves and many do hike for months on snickers bars. The body does speak up with hiker hunger for calories and cravings for nutrient dense vegetables over time.

For hikers accustomed to coming from western/N.American/U.S. citizen diet I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that "many hikers fail at getting enough protein." YES, micro nutrients are important too! High quality trail food can also contain enzymes which are lacking in highly refined highly processed "dead" nutritionally dismal overall food like products. Trail food, food in general, is NOT just about daily caloric load, % breakdowns of protein, carbs, and fat either!!!

As an aside I'm going to offer if U.S. citizens had better intestinal health, than the obviously dismal digestive and intestinal health observed, we would be less susceptible to disease on trail - including being so prone to water borne parasites such as Giardia lamblia.

I too wholeheartedly attest that athletes/backpackers/hikers perform better with optimal nutrition.

First, I make sure to eat as close to a proper diet as possible while on the trail. Other than a few adjustments, such as working around some things that don't dehydrate well, I eat almost the same diet on the trail as I do at home. I take my vitamins and medications, too.

I am amazed at the poor diet that some people eat on the trail. Then, right after they leave the trail, they head into town and eat the worst possible junk food and fast food poison, because they are feeling so deprived, and they want to have something that tastes good. When I leave the trail, I never feel like I am desperate, because I actually enjoy all of my trail meals, and that is not because I am so starving that I will eat anything. I continue to make the same exact meals at home that I eat on the trail; that is how much I enjoy them.

I want my trail experience to be positive all the way around. I want to be comfortable, eat good meals, and take care of myself, so that I can continue living and doing this for as long as possible. I do not want to feel like I am suffering or depriving myself when I go out into nature.

All this! Well stated! Yummy filling highly nutritious awesome tasting reduced wt trail food CAN BE HEALTHY TOO! No excuses for always noshing junk food. Better choices can be made. I too have much the same diet on trail as off trail as a LD hiker. It takes some adjustments but it's certainly doable. This is beautifully stated: "I want my trail experience to be positive all the way around. I want to be comfortable, eat good meals, and take care of myself, so that I can continue living and doing this for as long as possible. I do not want to feel like I am suffering or depriving myself when I go out into nature."

There are a lot of companies selling freeze-dried meals with healthier ingredients that the ones that have been doing it a while.
There are also a lot of cottage companies selling delicious "instant" cuisine online, that are basically all the dried ingredients of a health soup or pasta meal, just add hot water, or boil for a while...

Yup.

...I get Freeze dried foods in smaller cans from Emergency Essentials to create my own healthy meals. I can hard boil 6 eggs at a time in my cookpot and have carried them unrefrigerated for 3 days no problem. Cheese is wonderful. Nuts, dried fruit, and very dark chocolate travel well. My diet is gluten free, low carb. and close to what I eat at home.

See it can be done.

Not licensed, but been hiking for many years and thru-hiked the AT in 2011. Truth is a calorie is a calorie and during a thru-hike you'll have difficulty eating enough and you'll lose weight. Initially that's good for most of us. Don't worry about eating right, just worry about eating enough. Your body will appreciate all the empty calories you can get on a thru. Eat lots of protein to allow your muscles to recover. At a triple crown hiker said, "Salads are a waste of time." Aim for 200 calories per ounce but accept that protein usually is much lower. That's ok, just add Olive oil. Depending on your next resupply consider fresh foods such as eggs, ham, whatever. When in town AYCE (All You Can Eat) is your best friend. All due respect to eating right, but I don't think it's very important on a thru as opposed to just eating. Your body will get rid of the little bit of stuff it won't need and will use everything else it so desperately needs. When you get back home start to worry about eating right again. Scott J. apparently is a vegetarian but doubt most thru-hikers can thru a a vegetarian diet. Multi-vitamins may be your thing but remember they are unproven.

While, thermodynamically a calorie is a calorie all calories are definitely not absorbed by the body equally. As a hiker my body definitely does NOT appreciate all the empty calories I can get! My body desires optimal nutrition, as Heliotrope stated, NOT just calories AND certainly NOT empty calories! It's my contention most backpackers, especially LD and UL backpackers, certainly DO NOT want to carry the wt of empty calories anyway compared to nutritionally dense and high cal/oz ratio trail foods. Eating "right" is eating.

Just because a LD hiker is burning off calories at an increased metabolic rate it DOES NOT mean EVERYTHING CONTAINED IN A POOR/JUNK FOOD DIET IS BEING "BURNED" OFF! *THIS is a major misconception by those seeking to excuse and justify their poor diets/eating habits as LD hikers!

Some mistaken assumptions don't die easily. There are MANY cases of successful LD hikers who are vegetarians or Vegans. I'm yet another prime example.

There is literally a mountain of PROVEN scientific evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of vitamins. Vitamins are non patentable though compared to "drugs" so......I'll save that discussion for another time.

Fredt4
10-13-2015, 10:24
Micro nutrients are for whinners, quitters & losers, otherwise known as section hikers.

Swimmer
10-13-2015, 11:16
An example of some healthy backpacking foods that you can combine to make some decent meals out of:
Soba noodles are buckwheat/wheat, pretty lightweight and packable, cook in 3 minutes.
Packets of tuna, salmon, chicken
Peanut butter. Great for snacking or making a spicy peanut sauce to put on noodles and veg.
Individual portions of carrots, celery, ect. are worth a little extra weight
little packets of olive oil you can get at Subway.
Sundried tomatoes
All sorts of dried fruits are easy to find at grocery stores, and many trail mixes use these with nuts and seeds instead of chocolate.
instant oatmeal. use regular flavor to avoid all the added sugar, and add in PB or trail mix for protein/fat.
All sorts of drink powders have added vitamins, minerals, electrolytes ect.
It does take extra prep work and a little extra work on the trail to cook your own meals, and it probably weights a little more than the just-add-water meals, but if you're looking for healthy, that's the way to go in my opinion.

Malto
10-13-2015, 11:42
I have been very vocal about saying stuff along the lines of a calorie is a calorie. And I still believe it from the standpoint of fueling and carbohydrates. If you meter the carbs in then it makes little difference whether they are sugar or grain FROM A FUELING perspective.

Having said that, there is a huge difference between fats, carbs and protein. Timing when each are consumed can be very helpful. So a fat calorie while hiking is not the same as a carb calorie.

Finally, there are nutritional needs that must be considered especially for a long hike. I had quite a lot of variety on my thru hike but didn't take full advantage of the opportunity to take "normal" food from town. A good example of this is the hard boiled eggs, sandwich, fruit etc. if there is an area that I plan to focus on for future hikes it is the nutritional value of the food, I have the fueling well dialed in. I believe that increasing the nutritional value could help alleviate the need that I had of taking Advil daily just to walk. While I had very challenging conditions that wrecked havoc on my feet, perhaps better nutrition could have provided anti-inflammatory benefits that could have helped.

Lnj
10-13-2015, 13:19
Micro nutrients are for whinners, quitters & losers, otherwise known as section hikers.

That might be the rudest unprovoked comment I've read on WB. As a section hiker, I am none of the above and dare you to prove otherwise. That's all I have to say about that. Have a nice day.

Traveler
10-13-2015, 13:45
That might be the rudest unprovoked comment I've read on WB. As a section hiker, I am none of the above and dare you to prove otherwise. That's all I have to say about that. Have a nice day.

Consider the source, the mullet gives it away. :D

Dogwood
10-13-2015, 17:28
Umm, some of us are stuck in a recursive loop. If you have to Google recursive loop you're probably stuck in a recursive loop. Stupid is as stupid does.

Heliotrope
10-13-2015, 17:30
I have been very vocal about saying stuff along the lines of a calorie is a calorie. And I still believe it from the standpoint of fueling and carbohydrates. If you meter the carbs in then it makes little difference whether they are sugar or grain FROM A FUELING perspective.

Having said that, there is a huge difference between fats, carbs and protein. Timing when each are consumed can be very helpful. So a fat calorie while hiking is not the same as a carb calorie.

Finally, there are nutritional needs that must be considered especially for a long hike. I had quite a lot of variety on my thru hike but didn't take full advantage of the opportunity to take "normal" food from town. A good example of this is the hard boiled eggs, sandwich, fruit etc. if there is an area that I plan to focus on for future hikes it is the nutritional value of the food, I have the fueling well dialed in. I believe that increasing the nutritional value could help alleviate the need that I had of taking Advil daily just to walk. While I had very challenging conditions that wrecked havoc on my feet, perhaps better nutrition could have provided anti-inflammatory benefits that could have helped.

Good points Malto. We are all talking about generalities here but as an individual you gain insights into your own performance when you push your body and assess how you felt throughout. The strenuous nature of backpacking may lead to inflammation of various structures in the body and the diet quality may go a long way in minimizing this. I think it is safe to say that we all can look for ways to improve how and what we eat on the trail. I think it is also clear to anyone that has hiked extensively that when you are burning more calories than you are consuming the body begins to crave any and everything with high caloric density.

shelb
10-13-2015, 22:50
It can happen - to a point - if you plan!

I am on a high protein diet. I had no problem adhering to this on a 10 day section hike. Granted, I don't worry about fruits - and do few carbs. I do take vitamins to compensate.

Fredt4
10-13-2015, 23:54

My apologies, didn't know section hikers were so thin skinned, whinners I knew about, but thin skinned I didn't know about.

Dogwood
10-14-2015, 01:26
huh huh huh pass me the shine meese wuv wuv absowootly wuv da intranet

Traveler
10-14-2015, 06:42
My apologies, didn't know section hikers were so thin skinned, whinners I knew about, but thin skinned I didn't know about.

You make Tennessee proud!

Fredt4
10-14-2015, 10:17
Yeah, I'd also be a humorless loser and take offense so easily if my state's high point was Bear Mountain, at 2,316 ft. What a bunch of whimpering, thin skinned . . .

Traveler
10-14-2015, 10:24
Yeah, I'd also be a humorless loser and take offense so easily if my state's high point was Bear Mountain, at 2,316 ft. What a bunch of whimpering, thin skinned . . .

Funny, I thought you'd see I was responding in kind. Apparently you aren't much for the level of humor you expect from others. Must be the result of all that snake dancing stuff and the mullet.... lethal combination :D

GolfHiker
10-14-2015, 14:17
I'm doing my best to keep up with all of this, but it ain't easy... I do appreciate everyone's insight into the diet, nutrition part of my thread, and all of the cute sidebars, which always add flavor to these topics. Don't let me stop you from this, BUT, back to the topic. I have only been a Section Hiker ( oops, there I go ) up to this point, and it really is pretty easy to control your diet for 5-12 days, but on a Thru, the challenge will be different, requiring more discipline in my routine. I hope to incorporate the good ideas included here and have a healthy hike.

Fredt4
10-22-2015, 09:39
There is literally a mountain of PROVEN scientific evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of vitamins. Vitamins are non patentable though compared to "drugs" so......I'll save that discussion for another time.

Nutrition experts: Debate over value of vitamin, mineral supplements is far from over.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140602204605.htm

One side says it's proven that there's no evidence multi-vitamins are effective, the other side is saying, 'But! That can't be true we have all these studies, besides they can't hurt (or can they?).' Both sides have respected researchers. Just perhaps, effectiveness of multi-vitamins is unproven?

Fredt4
10-22-2015, 09:53
Correction

Nutrition experts: Debate over value of vitamin, mineral supplements is far from over.

One side says it's proven that there's no evidence multi-vitamins are effective and 'the case is close, there's proof they're not needed' , the other side is saying, 'But! That can't be true we have all these studies, besides they can't hurt (or can they?).' Both sides have respected researchers. Just perhaps, effectiveness of multi-vitamins is unproven?

Pedaling Fool
10-22-2015, 10:13

Interesting that the article references researchers from the Linus Pauling Institute :) http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pauling.html

Dogwood
10-22-2015, 11:57
That is a fair assessment of the state of vitamins in the article you linked to in Science Daily Fred.

Pedaling Fool, do you know anything about Stephen Barrett M.D. who founded and heads Quackwatch and who wrote that article you linked? He is a long retired psychiatrist who actually FAILED his Medical Board Certification with NO NUTRITIONAL back round self appointing himself as consumer advocate who obviously has a embittered biased agenda against the alternative heath field industry and specifically the Nutritional field. YET, while claiming to be a consumer healthcare advocate, he has ignored the very real proven dangers of prescription and non-prescription pharmaceutical drugs. Some would say Mr. Barrett is a QUACK himself, a professional QUACK, but never the less still a QUACK and possibly a shill pandering for the pharmaceutical industry. Seems so from court records. :rolleyes:

Is Dr. Stephen Barrett fair in his analysis of nutrition research and those involved in the nutrition industry?
"I have not read every single page on Quackwatch and I do not read most of the new pages that are added on the site, but the ones I read give me the impression that in many cases he has done good research on many of the people involved in the alternative health industry, and has pointed out several instances of inaccuracies and scams (for instance, Hulda Clark and her pitiful book "The Cure for all Cancers"). However, I hardly came across reports on his website regarding some of the scams or inaccurate promotion and marketing practices by the pharmaceutical industry. Why is this? Why has Stephen Barrett, M.D. focused almost all of his attention on the nutritional industry and has hardly spent time pointing out the billions of dollars wasted each year by consumers on certain prescription and non-prescription pharmaceutical drugs? If he truly claims to be a true consumer advocate, isn't it his responsibility to make sure the big scams are addressed first before focusing on the smaller scams? It's like the government putting all of its efforts going after the poor misusing food stamps while certain big companies cheat billions of dollars from consumers with hardly any governmental oversight.
Why is there no review of Vioxx on Quackwatch? Why is there no mention on quackwatch.org of the worthless cold and cough medicines sold by pharmaceutical companies and drug stores? Hundreds of millions of dollars are wasted each year by consumers on these worthless and potentially harmful decongestants and cough syrups. Why is there no mention on quackwatch of the dangers of acetaminophen use, including liver damage? There are probably more people who are injured or die from over the counter Tylenol and aspirin use each year than from all the natural supplements people take throughout a year. If Dr. Barrett had focused his career on educating people in reducing the use of useless and dangerous prescription and nonprescription drugs (even just one, acetaminophen) he would have helped many more people than attempting to scare people from the use of supplements.
Another point I would like to make regarding Quackwatch is that Dr. Barrett often, if not the majority of the time, seems to point out the negative outcome of studies with supplements (you can sense his glee and relish when he points out these negative outcomes), and rarely mentions the benefits they provide. A true scientist takes a fair approach, and I don't see this in my review of the Quackwatch website. I subscribe to the Quackwatch newsletter (which often has interesting information) but there is hardly any mention of the benefits of supplements. As an example, see a paragraph from the August, 2006 Quackwatch newsletter mentioned a few paragraphs below.
Bottom line: Overall, Dr. Barrett does some good in pointing out scams in the alternative health field, but, in my opinion, he is not fair and balanced, and he is not a true objective scientist as he claims to be. Someone who has a website specifically tailored for criticism needs to have a higher and more objective scientific standard, and Barrett fails in this regard.
Could Stephen Barrett, M.D. post his thoughts regarding these two topics:
The first is on the billions of dollars spent on worthless and dangerous Alzheimer's drugs as noted in The New York Times: "Alzheimer’s Drugs Offer No Help, Study Finds" By Benedict Carey, October 12, 2006. The article begins, "The drugs most commonly used to soothe agitation and aggression in people with Alzheimer's disease are no more effective than placebos for most patients, and put them at risk of serious side effects, including confusion, sleepiness and Parkinson’s disease-like symptoms."

Is Stephen Barrett, M.D. a Quack(himself)?
"According to the Quackwatch website, Stephen Barrett, M.D. says this about quackery: Dictionaries define quack as "a pretender to medical skill; a charlatan" and "one who talks pretentiously without sound knowledge of the subject discussed."
Stephen Barrett, M.D. does not have a degree in nutrition science. He has been trained in psychiatry but has not practiced psychiatry for many, many years and has, to the best of my understanding, never practiced nutritional medicine. In my opinion, Stephen Barrett, M.D., when it comes to the field of medicinal use of nutritional supplements, can be easily defined as a Quack since he pretends to "have skills or knowledge in supplements and talks pretentiously" without actually having clinical expertise or sound knowledge of herbal and nutritional medicine.
A person can't be an expert at a topic if they have not had hands-on experience. Would you feel comfortable having heart surgery by a doctor who has read all the medical books on how to surgically replace a heart valve but has never performed an actual surgical procedure in an operating room? Would you feel comfortable relying on nutritional advice from a retired psychiatrist, Stephen Barrett, M.D. of Quackwatch, even though he has not had hands-on experience using supplements with patients and does not have a degree in nutrition science?"

http://www.quackpotwatch.org/quackpots/quackpots/barrett.htm

http://www.raysahelian.com/quackwatch.html

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/editorial/quack.htm

http://www.encognitive.com/node/1213

http://www.quackpotwatch.org/opinionpieces/quackpot_barrett_crushed_in_fede.htm

Pedaling Fool
10-22-2015, 13:09
Pedaling Fool, do you know anything about Stephen Barrett M.D. who founded and heads Quackwatch and who wrote that article you linked?Short answer, No.

No, I don't know anything about Barret, nor am I a follower of his website. So, maybe I did make a mistake in providing that link; however, I won't waste my time researching your take on Barret being a quack. I'll just accept that you're probably correct, or not, I don't really care, but like I said: I probably should not have linked a website I know nothing about.

The reason I did link it was because I knew of Linus Pauling before I saw that website and just linked the first thing I found. (BTW, I have nothing against Linus Pauling, he was a great man.) Here's a couple other links on the issue of him pushing massive doses of Vit C as a cure for cancer, as well as other things...: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/high-dose-vitamin-c-and-cancer-has-linus-pauling-been-vindicated/

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/07/the-vitamin-myth-why-we-think-we-need-supplements/277947/

CarlZ993
10-22-2015, 16:27
We all do our best to eat well at home, but on the Trail it just can't happen ( as easily). Plenty of junk food, empty calories, all that. When you are accustomed to proper diet, nutrients, and maybe a few different vitamins, etc. ( A, D, B, Iron, etc., etc.) to supplement daily, what does everyone do on the trail. vits & bottles can be heavy and space takers, and powders just won't do. So what do you do???? I'm guessing a multi vitamin might be the answer.

I respect that we all view this differently, older vs. youthful, but good health & nutrition must certainly be important to all of us on a long distance hike!

I'm curious about this and I don't believe I've seen any posts. Apologies if I have not carefully scanned the Health, Food & Nutrition threads....

Thanks.
A lot determines on how long you're going to be on the trail. If you're on the trail for a week or two, your caloric needs will be quite a bit less that someone who's in the middle of their thru-hike. And 'eating bad' for a short period of time shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm no nutritionist... so take that with a grain of salt. :)

I found on my thru-hike that I became ravenously hungry after about 270 miles (lost 10 lbs). It stayed that way for the rest of my hike. I carried some packets of Emergen-C for vitamins. I used them more when I first started that I did toward the end. I used additional olive oil & nut mix (equal parts of cashews, almonds, & sunflower seeds mixed up in a food processor) added to my camp food for extra taste & calories. By using food drops, I was able to eat food that I liked. When in town, I worried more about getting extra calories than 'eating right.' I would return to 'eating better' when I finished my thru-hike.

Happy trails!

Rebeka
10-26-2015, 09:46
As a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and avid backpacker I believe I am qualified to comment here. There are different nutritional components to consider as well as the individual 's unique metabolism and the length of the trip. One of the most crucial concerns is getting enough calories. Some people do this through ingesting food and burning reserves. If you are very lean to start calories become a big concern immediately as the body will catabolize muscle and fat to keep the energy supply going. The next consideration is getting enough quality protein to repair and maintain stressed muscle and connective tissue. Many hikers fail at getting enough. Then there are micro nutrients like vitamins aNd minerals. Common trail Foods like ramen, instant potatoes, cookies, candy bars, etc will not deliver these. My first question to a hiker would be: what food will you be bringing and eating regularly? Are you planning to do food drops or eat on the way? Will you be sending yourself dehydrated veggies? Will you carry fresh food in your pack? I believe as athletes we will perform better with optimal nutrition. It is possible to go far on body reserves and many do hike for months on snickers bars. The body does speak up with hiker hunger for calories and cravings for nutrient dense vegetables over time.

For me personally on week long trips I eat healthy but truly enjoyable foods and don't worry about the vitamin pills. On a thru hike I believe it is more important to supplement. Though in town food binges may be enough to replenish.

Thank you for responding Doctor! I am thinking about a vegan protein powder, Orgain, for the trail. Maybe with some powdered greens for a daily green smoothie. I know people say you should pack calorie dense food, and these would not be. Sound like a good idea. Also I'm thinking I can sprout and walk [emoji2]

Never Give Up

Heliotrope
10-30-2015, 07:18
Thank you for responding Doctor! I am thinking about a vegan protein powder, Orgain, for the trail. Maybe with some powdered greens for a daily green smoothie. I know people say you should pack calorie dense food, and these would not be. Sound like a good idea. Also I'm thinking I can sprout and walk [emoji2]

Never Give Up

You are welcome. I carry calorie dense food for sure. But I like to take some nutrient dense items as well. Lately I have been dehydrating broccoli. I have sprouted on trail using a mesh bag. You can sew one yourself. Once sprouts are ready for sunlight the bag can be hung on the outside of pack. Broccoli sprouts are my favorite.

Have an awesome trip!

Grampsb
10-30-2015, 07:25
Here is what I think is a good article on nutrition for backpackers
http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

garlic08
10-30-2015, 08:20
On my AT thru, I started lean, 150 pounds on a 5-9 frame, actually gained a little weight in the mid-Atlantic, lost that in the Whites, finished in 3.5 months, and got home at my starting weight and went right back to my job as a firefighter with no noticeable loss of muscle mass or strength. So much for my qualifications. My nutrition strategy: I have not eaten processed food (or meat) in any quantity for over thirty years. I didn't drink a single soda or eat a single candy bar on the AT. The worst stuff I ate, and I felt bad doing it, were bread products made with white flour, and ice cream in town. I carried at least one piece of fresh veg every day, if only a carrot or stalk of celery. Most of my fat calories came from tree nuts, cheese, and some peanut butter (when it was just too hot for cheese). Most of my carbs came from "lightly processed" rolled oats. Trail food was heavily supplemented by decent town meals where I ate lots of greens. I spent more money on town food than I did on trail food, and I only took three zero days. I enjoyed the many opportunities for quick restaurant stops in the mid-Atlantic (the "diner-a-day" tour)--they were a large part of my nutrition strategy on the AT.

My thoughts on nutrition are summed up nicely by author Michael Pollen in "In Defense of Food:" Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. On supplements, he says you want to be the type of person who takes them (they generally pay attention to diet and eat well anyway), but most people who eat well probably don't need them. And there are exceptions.

Heliotrope
10-30-2015, 09:37
On my AT thru, I started lean, 150 pounds on a 5-9 frame, actually gained a little weight in the mid-Atlantic, lost that in the Whites, finished in 3.5 months, and got home at my starting weight and went right back to my job as a firefighter with no noticeable loss of muscle mass or strength. So much for my qualifications. My nutrition strategy: I have not eaten processed food (or meat) in any quantity for over thirty years. I didn't drink a single soda or eat a single candy bar on the AT. The worst stuff I ate, and I felt bad doing it, were bread products made with white flour, and ice cream in town. I carried at least one piece of fresh veg every day, if only a carrot or stalk of celery. Most of my fat calories came from tree nuts, cheese, and some peanut butter (when it was just too hot for cheese). Most of my carbs came from "lightly processed" rolled oats. Trail food was heavily supplemented by decent town meals where I ate lots of greens. I spent more money on town food than I did on trail food, and I only took three zero days. I enjoyed the many opportunities for quick restaurant stops in the mid-Atlantic (the "diner-a-day" tour)--they were a large part of my nutrition strategy on the AT.

My thoughts on nutrition are summed up nicely by author Michael Pollen in "In Defense of Food:" Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. On supplements, he says you want to be the type of person who takes them (they generally pay attention to diet and eat well anyway), but most people who eat well probably don't need them. And there are exceptions.

Sounds like you really kicked it! I am on the lean side with a high metabolism. It's Inspiring to hear that you maintained your weight and strength on such a fast hike. I hope to achieve the same.

garlic08
10-30-2015, 17:53
Sounds like you really kicked it! I am on the lean side with a high metabolism. It's Inspiring to hear that you maintained your weight and strength on such a fast hike. I hope to achieve the same.

Thank you, and I wish you (and the OP) the best. The AT was not my first thru hike. I had a harder time of it on the PCT, where I lost more lean mass especially in the Sierra Nevada, and felt little weakened when I finished. It was more difficult maybe because resupply was harder, but also maybe because it was my first long hike and I had a lot to learn.

And just as our feet are different and we need different shoes, we also need different diets for our different bodies.

salsi
10-30-2015, 20:10
dried fruit is great for trails as well as for myself, because im an athlete when im not on trips I eat lots of protean.

Pedaling Fool
11-11-2015, 08:22
On this issue of nutrition there are a lot of people that blame all our health problems on White Bread. That's silly. Nutrition is not nearly the rocket science approach most make it out to be, you really don't need to find specialty food stores or have tons of supplements sent to you. Just use a little common sense and know that your walking up and down mountains all day and eating very little is making you healthy, not some foo-foo foodstuff...

We have it so easy nowadays, we feel a need to blame our health problems on industry when actually we just have ourselves to blame by simply indulging too much. As you can see in this video, there are many people that are dying from not having what we have in today's modern world: https://www.ted.com/talks/louise_fresco_on_feeding_the_whole_world?language= en#t-658605

BTW, here's an interesting article from the speaker in that video. I wouldn't fret over nutrition, so much as controlling your intake and getting enough exercise, including when you're not on the trail. https://aeon.co/essays/is-sustainability-sold-at-supermarkets-or-farmers-markets

Connie
11-11-2015, 15:21
I have been looking for the 2015 version of the food pyramid website, to make food lists of "nutrient dense" fresh food. The website seems to be down.

The highest nutritional value was shown for each category of food.

I already have a "calories dense" food list. The "nutrient dense" list is worthwhile for lightweight and low volume backpacking and staying on the hike longer.

I do not take food supplements when out hiking. I do repackage purchased food items to get the most food value.

Here are resources I have found: http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.com/specializedfood1.html

I think getting better food is the reason AT thru-hikers use "bounce boxes". It is also worthwhile to find those threads that list "optimum" locations for "bounce boxes" and favorite places to stop in town to eat.

Connie
11-11-2015, 15:27
Linus Pauling and Albert
Szent-Györgyi worked out the "optimum" use: 2.5:1 or 3:1 Vitamin C to dry Vitamin E.

I use this if I feel cold symptoms starting up: 500 mg Natrol Vit C and 200 mg Solgar (dry) Vitamin E.

For some reason, Vitamin E in oil isn't effective used for this purpose.

scatman
11-11-2015, 15:40
GolfHiker,

Every time I go on a long hike I ask myself what foods can I carry to be healthier while keeping the weight down. It's a hard bill to fill. Personally I take Sport Multi, it's a multi vitamin for endurance athletes. (At times I also took fish oil when thru-hiking too). You can find Sport Multi at Feed the Machine (http://www.feedthemachine.com#oid=1009_1). They are an online store that specializes in sport nutrition. They have a great advice and lab section to help you get them most out of your nutrition.

HeartFire
11-11-2015, 18:23
I make all my own backpacking meals - breakfast and dinner and some lunches - all vegan, all high quality nutrition, to add calories, I make deserts and load them with honey or brown sugar. All very light weight when cooked at home and dehydrated.

GolfHiker
11-11-2015, 21:38
Thanks for all the great input, articles, sites & science on the topic of nutrition. So much more than I ever knew or expected to get on this thread, but as usual WBers are quick to share their knowledge. I hope to gleen just enough to make my hike a success, nutritionally speaking.

Dogwood
11-11-2015, 22:08
I have been looking for the 2015 version of the food pyramid website, to make food lists of "nutrient dense" fresh food. The website seems to be down.

The highest nutritional value was shown for each category of food.

LOL. The more you look you'll realize there is more than one food pyramid version. Here's Dr Fuhrmans which I like. Following I like the TOP 100 ORAC Value Antioxidant foods : http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/high-orac-value-antioxidant-foods-top-100/

https://www.drfuhrman.com/images/foodpyramid/foodpyramid-large.png

Connie
11-11-2015, 22:45
Good one!

The 2015 Food Pyramid is identical to the one on a website sponsored by The First Lady, Mrs. Obama.

The website heavily used flash, I guess. It froze up, often, especially so when I went back and forth between the nutritional ingredients lists.

I was trying to list the most "nutritionally dense" food items in each category: fruit, vegetables, beans, legumes, grains, etal.

I would still like to be able to make that list.

Here are more, all good information because each one is closer to a traditional diet.

Mediterranian Diet Guidelines
http://www.foodpyramid.com/food-pyramids/mediterranean-diet-pyramid/

Latin American Diet Pyramid
http://www.foodpyramid.com/food-pyramids/latin-american-pyramid/

Vegetarian Diet Pyramid
http://www.foodpyramid.com/food-pyramids/vegetarian-food-pyramid/

Connie
11-11-2015, 23:02
It looks like he did the comparisons I was making, to list "nutritionally dense" food items.

Here is the description: http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/andi-food-scores.aspx

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2015, 09:06
We all always throw in the qualifier: "Everyone's different" and this article seems to not only support that, but show just how very true, prevalent and radical this concept is; maybe this is why some seem to need very specialized diets and others (like me:banana) seem to be able to eat anything and feel perfectly fine and healthy. My only Achilles heel, when it comes to food, is that I must limit the amounts, much more than I would prefer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/11/20/the-diet-study-that-upends-everything-we-thought-we-knew-about-healthy-food/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_wemost

Excerpt:

"There are profound differences between individuals — in some cases, individuals have opposite responses to one another," Segal explained.

The researchers said the findings show that tailoring meal plans to individuals' biology may be the future of dieting and the study yielded many surprises for individuals. One example involves a middle-aged woman who tried and failed with many diets. Tests showed that her blood sugar levels spiked after eating tomatoes — indicating it is a poor diet choice for her since blood sugar has been associated with heart problems, obesity and diabetes — but since she didn't know this, she was eating them as part of her healthy diet plans several times a week.

Venchka
11-23-2015, 09:21
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................
A quick scan of the Food Pyramid failed to mention Belgian ales or pizza.

Wayne

RockDoc
11-24-2015, 00:16
The Food Pyramid represents a "fad diet" developed in 1977 (see Death by Food Pyramid, or The Big Fat Surprise for details).
It is largely responsible for the obesity/diabetes epidemic.
Turn it upside down (how your grandparents ate) and you'll be a lot healthier.

Traveler
11-24-2015, 07:07
The Food Pyramid represents a "fad diet" developed in 1977 (see Death by Food Pyramid, or The Big Fat Surprise for details).
It is largely responsible for the obesity/diabetes epidemic.
Turn it upside down (how your grandparents ate) and you'll be a lot healthier.

My grandparents ate pretty much as the chart in post #42 suggests, which is the chart from 2010. Are you suggesting this chart and what it represents is the cause of obesity/diabetes epidemic and it should be flipped over to be healthier? That would leave the largest portion of your daily food to be sweets, red meat, cheese, and processed foods, with vegetables having a "rarely" position in ones diet. Are you sure you want to do that?

rgarling
11-24-2015, 14:12
Post #42 is not really the food pyramid. The food pyramid to which RockDoc refers is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_pyramid_(nutrition)#/media/File:USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

Perhaps he should have said "cut the bottom off the pyramid", which is pretty good advice

Dogwood
11-24-2015, 14:34
Post #42 is not really the food pyramid. The food pyramid to which RockDoc refers is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_pyramid_(nutrition)#/media/File:USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

Perhaps he should have said "cut the bottom off the pyramid", which is pretty good advice

As said in my Post #42 which I'll restate again here since it seems it was ignored in that post, "the more you look you'll realize there is more than one food pyramid version. Here's Dr Fuhrmans which I like.

Rgarling, even with your 1992 USDA food pyramid that you linked to in Wikipedia, and as that article in that reference states, it has been changed.

Venchka
11-24-2015, 19:32
Obesity is self inflicted. A person doesn't need a Food Pyramid to eat themselves into obesity.
Show me a Big Mac with cheese combo Supersize on the Food Pyramid?
"Would you Supersize those fries, it's our anniversary." Jeff Foxworthy

Wayne

colorado_rob
11-24-2015, 20:41
Obesity is self inflicted. A person doesn't need a Food Pyramid to eat themselves into obesity.
Show me a Big Mac with cheese combo Supersize on the Food Pyramid?
And a person can eat as many Big Macs and supersized fries as he wants and not be anywhere close to obese. Obesity is as much about lifestyle as it is about diet, even more IMHO.

Venchka
11-24-2015, 22:05
And a person can eat as many Big Macs and supersized fries as he wants and not be anywhere close to obese. Obesity is as much about lifestyle as it is about diet, even more IMHO.

Like I said, obesity is self inflicted. There are many variables in the equation. A vegan diet can do it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rocketsocks
11-24-2015, 23:08
When I was a kid I ate 3 Big Macs once...if I recall correctly I was sick all the way up til dinner time.

Pedaling Fool
11-25-2015, 08:02
When I was a kid (probably about 7) I remember eating a ton of green grapes. I was so damn sick all freakin' night, I can still remember the intense stomach pains and being stuck on the toilet.

MuddyWaters
11-25-2015, 08:18
Thousands of thru hikers are living proof that typical hiker diet works fine.

You need easy , no hassle calories for resupply and trail food while hiking 20 mpd.
Try to eat balanced meals in town to get some nutrients. Your in town every few days

All the rest is blah blah blah blah..

Supplement with a daily vitamin if it makes you feel good. You wont know the difference.

coyote9
11-26-2015, 00:28
They may notice the difference and if not directly, it can prevent sickness and injury. If you do supplement however, I should suggest a wholefood vitamin rather than the typical synthetics found at most grocers.

Dogwood
11-26-2015, 03:09

You are right but you are also describing the exception rather than the norm. There is a definite statistically significant correlation with those who regularly consume quantities of Mickey Dum Diddy Dees with being over wt or obese.

Let us consider visually seeming to be of avg body wt in perspective of age, gender, ht, frame type, etc is no guarantee of health either. Just because one seems athletically fit or not significantly over wt is definitely not always representative of health.

colorado_rob
11-26-2015, 11:13
... There is a definite statistically significant correlation with those who regularly consume quantities of Mickey Dum Diddy Dees with being over wt or obese.Do you have a reference to back this claim? I have seen none. I'm not saying for sure there isn't some correlation, but one has to be careful drawing causal relationship conclusions. I claim it's much more about lifestyle then food choices.

And I'm also not saying consuming mass-quantities of Big Macs is healthy, but I am saying one really doesn't have to worry so much about "empty calories" if one's lifestyle is extremely active. Only a couple of my circle of hiking/climbing friends ever worry about what they eat, and none of us are in the least bit overweight (well, maybe 5 pounds....) simply because we constantly burn away our food. If I ever stopped this constant burning, I'd gain lots of weight, but the reason is total calories, not Big Macs, per se. It really is all about calorie intake and calorie use, plain and simple.

You call this "the exception" and not the rule? Well, on Whiteblaze, that shouldn't be true as hopefully we are mostly very active people. If you're on here and significantly overweight, get in gear and start burning more calories! Easy to do because we all love hiking. Hike more. Walk more.

I was basically agreeing with you Wayne: obesity is self inflicted. that was the "and" part of my statement.

Venchka
11-26-2015, 12:06
Rob,
Visit any fast/junk food outlet. You will see proof.

Wayne

Venchka
11-26-2015, 12:09
I was basically agreeing with you Wayne: obesity is self inflicted. that was the "and" part of my statement.

Sorry I missed that. I reckon that we are on the same page.

Wayne

colorado_rob
11-26-2015, 12:36
Rob,
Visit any fast/junk food outlet. You will see proof.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.You do make a good point there.... But which came first? The chicken or the egg question...

Anyway, talking about overeating, mine starts RIGHT NOW! Hmmmm.... pumpkin pie.... cherry pie.... dressing.... Happy thanksgiving!

Venchka
11-26-2015, 12:48
Enjoy! Y'all got any fresh snow? I'm totally jealous.

Wayne

Dogwood
11-26-2015, 14:42
"..... I claim it's much more about lifestyle then food choices.

And I'm also not saying consuming mass-quantities of Big Macs is healthy, but I am saying one really doesn't have to worry so much about "empty calories" if one's lifestyle is extremely active."

I wouldn't phrase it as a worry. I see consuming nutritionally dismal highly processed food like products containing empty calories absolutely a concern to be conscientious of. This is a common mistaken assumption by the thru-hiking crowd - jam whatever calories into your active lifestyle/body you can get and it doesn't negatively affect energy levels, assimilation of other nutrients, performance, mental clarity, emotional well being, etc. IMO, it stems from a narrow perspective of food, and associated energy, performance, etc as if caloric load(calories) is the ONLY thing that contributes to energy requirements and performance. For example, the digesting of empty calories can be an energy negative. That is empty calorie foods CAN take more energy to digest or eliminate than they provide resulting in an net energy deficit. For example, if we consume empty calories in refined white sugar in abundance, AND EVEN IN MANY CASES smaller amounts, and highly refined simple carbohydrate nutritionally denatured foods, it can definitely negatively affect performance. So, I absolutely disagree with your statement, "it really is all about calorie intake and calorie use, plain and simple." Food is MUCH MORE THAN CALORIES!

I also strongly disagree with your notion, "obesity is self inflicted." It's based on the marketing spin that companies in the food industry like Micky Dum Diddy Dees promote to absolve themselves of scrutinizing the nutritionally poor food they mass profit by. They shift the blame for obesity and over wt consequences of consuming their food to the consumer. It's the consumer's decisions that make them over wt or obese is the marketing spin that Mickey Dum Diddy Dees employs to shift the focus off product and biz practices responsibility - BIG BIZ AS USUAL. I WILL NOT GIVE ANY SEGMENT OF THE FOOD INDUSTRY A FREE PASS IF THEY SELL NUTRITIONALLY DENATURED FOOD LIKE PRODUCTS! How about YOU?

garlic08
11-26-2015, 15:31
Like I said, obesity is self inflicted. There are many variables in the equation. A vegan diet can do it.

I've long told my vegan friends that beer and chips is a vegan diet.

Y'all have a great Thanksgiving.

Dogwood
11-26-2015, 15:56
Yes, enjoy your tofu turkey, brussels sprouts, and salads. Belgian Whites included.

colorado_rob
11-27-2015, 08:29
Enjoy! Y'all got any fresh snow? I'm totally jealous.Yeah, tons of it... ski areas especially, but even in town we got something like 6". Hitting the shovel to burn some Pumpkin Pie!

DW: If one allows oneself to be biased by "marketing spin" and way overeats because of it, then their resulting obesity is still self inflicted. And I also totally disagree with your thoughts on sugars. We'll just agree to disagree, of course.

Dogwood
11-27-2015, 12:10
...DW: If one allows oneself to be biased by "marketing spin" and way overeats because of it, then their resulting obesity is still self inflicted. And I also totally disagree with your thoughts on sugars...

It's difficult to impossible for competent informed adults to see through the depth of the food industries marketing spin alone. It is even more unreasonable to expect children TO SELF REGULATE against the almost $2 Billion spent on marketing to children!

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/themes/marketing-food-to-children

http://www.commercialfreechildhood.org/resource/marketing-children-overview

https://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/food_marketing_to_children.pdf

http://healthyeatingresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HER_Food-Marketing-Recomm_1-2015.pdf

It is noted by many researchers and concluded through many studies that marketing of nutritionally dismal food to children factors into childhood obesity!

Our choices, some would say "education", or some would say "brain washing", are STRONGLY influenced from the youngest of ages so our freewill is not as FREE of influence as assumed!
If your food choices are as unbiased eyes wide open made as you communicate GREAT. BUT, PERHAPS, you are not!

Not everyone is in your situation Rob. Let's not forget that my friend.:)

Venchka
11-27-2015, 18:27
So, will there be a great food industry settlement?

Wayne

Pedaling Fool
11-28-2015, 08:40
Way too much emphasis is given to food and not enough to exercise. I agree diet is important, but it's importance is over-rated. I believe this is because people are always looking for a "magic pill" for health (or in DW's case, he's a food worshiper, i.e. a Foodie), but as of now there is no magic pill; although, I do believe science will probably one day give us one, but that's in the future...

For a healthy body one needs to exercise it. It doesn't matter how nutritious the food, it does NOT regenerate muscle mass as you lose it once you hit 30 y/o. It does NOT grow new blood vessels, it does NOT strengthen bones. All these things must be done thru exercise and not just simply going 30-minutes of aerobic exercise 5-times per week. In doing simple aerobic exercise, you will see results in the beginning, but after those results you will plateau and once you plateau you start degenerating -- that's mother nature's rule.

This is what exercise can do and it's not just simply getting on a treadmill or going for a walk, rather whole-body exercise. A very inspiring video on this link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/77-year-old-crossfit-athlete-constance-tillet-full-body-transformation/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

Dogwood
11-28-2015, 12:38
With all my opining on nutrition I sincerely hope that is not interpreted as me saying nutrition is the only aspect leading to fitness or health. For that, is not what I'm saying.

We can observe many cases of those who seem visually fit or strong or not severely overweight yet are not healthy! Being obese or significantly overweight is only one of MANY possible indicators of fitness or health.

shelb
11-28-2015, 22:47
There is no one answer for all. (Example: I am a bariatric patient and process foods differently than others... My vitamin needs are quite different than yours).

I suggest that you talk to your doctor.

Minimally: take a multi-vitamin. I am not a doctor, but I would probably suggest a calcium-magnesium tablet too... to help with the extra stress on the legs and muscles...