PDA

View Full Version : PCT 1996--Were any of you there when this happened?

Different Socks
10-12-2015, 15:23
How many of you have been here AND done this? I did the PCT in 1996 and took a side route to Yosemite Valley. I camped at the base of the wall on the side everyone uses to get to the top. Early next morning, I had the iron;adder, wooden steps, steel cable all to myself on the way up and down. But best part was sunrise seen from the top and the view. This was the same summer that a massive cleft of rock fell from Glacier Point and down into area called Happy Isles. When i hiked down into valley that day(the day after it happened), as I passed the campground--OMG!! It looked like people just got out as quickly as they could and left everything behind. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING was covered in a grey dust caused by the impact of the arch of rock hitting the forest after falling several 1000ft. I saw bikes, campers, food on tables, tents--all covered in dust, as well as the forest. It was like walking thru Pompeii. An incredible display from the top of what nature has to offer as well as a reminder at the bottom of what it can do.
BTW, if you do not recognize this place, it is Half Dome, Yosemite.32279

Dogwood
10-13-2015, 01:37
Just behind where the person is sitting to HIS left is a nice flat 5 ft wide slab right on the edge. I've slept there twice cowboying. Great sunset and sunrise. Folks started arriving atop HD about 45 mins before Sunrise in the Alpineglow. This was before I believe it became illegal to sleep atop HD. This ledge is right above where climbers come up tightroping on a horizontal 6" wide ledge many 100's of ft above the ground on the sheer wall of the front face. I was the only one each time going down the cables. The crowds really picked up as I was exiting the cables at the bottom. glad to be away from the madhouse going up.

Fredt4
10-13-2015, 02:02
I believe it was July 1st when I was there, just a week or so before. Two links to the event. The Wikipedia article could use your input.
http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Huge-Rock-Slide-in-Yosemite-1-Killed-Several-2975447.php

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Yosemite_Valley_landslide