PDA

View Full Version : Socks?

coastwatcher42
10-12-2015, 21:55
About 13-14 years ago, my wife found Patagonia socks on clearance somewhere and must have bought every pair they had because I ended up with untold numbers of them. Over the years, though, my supply has dwindled and I only have a few usable pairs left. As such, I've been trying to research socks and have been quite surprised by the wide variety available these days.

I known that one should not skimp when it comes to their feet and I don't intend to. It's just that I want to get the best bang for my buck. Some of the socks that I've seen go for more than my first pair of hiking boots.

So, what are you all using and why? For the most part, I hike in either Salomon Quest 4D GTXs or Merrell Moabs (I need the ankle support) although, if the terrain isn't going to be too difficult, I will use Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX shoes. Thanks to all!

cbg
10-12-2015, 21:58
DarnTough Socks

Venchka
10-12-2015, 22:47
Sock thread #6,286. 1 answer. Ok, repeat answer #2.
Darn Tough.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Traveler
10-13-2015, 06:43
I found the Smartwool PhD socks worked well for me in my Merril Moabs. I tend to like the heavier Smartwool socks in mid to high-topped boots (no liner sock).

FreshStart
10-13-2015, 07:29
I bought two pair of Darn Tough socks to hike.....fast forward a couple months and I only own darn tough now. All my cotton socks have been thrown out and I have a large fleet of Darn Tough. I wear them for work, after work, hiking, hunting and everything else. They are perfect in every way. I've always had issues with sweaty stinky feet in the past and they cured that once and for all!!! Get em' you wont regret it.

Hummy585
10-13-2015, 07:57
Darn tough is probably the best bang for ones hard earned buck, lifetime warranty. I am a big fan of WigWam Ultimax as well, they last a very long time for me...

RangerZ
10-14-2015, 06:18
Piling on, Darn Tough for me to hike in. SmartWool ok to wear.

FarmerChef
10-14-2015, 07:27
Just buy Darn Toughs and never look back. They are guaranteed for life so when they wear out, give 'em back and they'll give you another pair. I would *gasp* pay even more for them if that ever happened.

rickb
10-14-2015, 08:08
Just buy Darn Toughs and never look back. They are guaranteed for life so when they wear out, give 'em back and they'll give you another pair. I would *gasp* pay even more for them if that ever happened.

They are great.

Added plus, they are knitted in a small town in northern VT.

Old Grouse
10-14-2015, 09:02
My sock drawer is Darn Tough and some dress socks. Yes, they aren't cheap, but they feel so good and wear so well, they're worth it. I can't imagine asking for replacements since I feel I already get more than my money's worth from them.

hikernutcasey
10-14-2015, 12:28
This is like a broken record...There's Darn Tough socks and then everything else. No comparison.

ChrisJackson
10-14-2015, 12:32
Gotta do a shout out for Injinji

http://www.injinji.com/

http://www.injinji.com/shop/trail.html

My DarnTough are nice but they couldn't help my mild toe problem on my left foot (two toes competing for space). Injinji changed the game for me.

Vegan Packer
10-14-2015, 15:48
Gotta do a shout out for Injinji

http://www.injinji.com/

http://www.injinji.com/shop/trail.html

My DarnTough are nice but they couldn't help my mild toe problem on my left foot (two toes competing for space). Injinji changed the game for me.

I haven't tried the hike model, but I use the liner as my only sock (nothing over it). Zero blisters and hot spots. Injinji totally changed the game. Before finding these, I used to have to tape my toes, or else I would get blisters. Not anymore.

Sandy of PA
10-14-2015, 21:11
Injinji Cool-Max performance socks for my last 1800 miles of hiking, no blisters!

Feral Bill
10-14-2015, 21:16
For the money (hardly any) the Kirkland hiking socks at Costco are outstanding. I wear them every day.

coastwatcher42
10-15-2015, 06:58
Well, it appears as though the consensus is for Darn Tough. That's good enough for me. I ordered 12 pairs yesterday.

Venchka
10-15-2015, 08:03
Given the number of SOCK threads here, maybe a ban on new sock threads is in order. Other topics could be included on the list.

Wayne

hikernutcasey
10-16-2015, 10:33
Well, it appears as though the consensus is for Darn Tough. That's good enough for me. I ordered 12 pairs yesterday.Holy crap! You weren't playing around were you? That's gotta be $250 - $300 bucks for some socks. I love Darn Tough and have been wearing them for several years but I don't have anywhere near 12 pairs. I take it you are going to be wearing them for more than just hiking?

Tipi Walter
10-16-2015, 11:25
Given the number of SOCK threads here, maybe a ban on new sock threads is in order. Other topics could be included on the list.

Wayne

Yes, I agree. To me, choosing what socks to wear is like choosing which toilet paper to use---find what's comfy for you and know that they are disposable.

http://www.thesocksource.com/prod_images/f2048.jpg
This is what we used back in the 1970's---rag wool. A pair in boots would last me about 3 months before getting holes. Very hard to patch.

https://www.dakotaouterwear.com/productimages/image69200825043PM63fc.JPG
And then, remember all the wool army socks we used to wear? A little too thin for my tastes but they were cheap and good enough.

Casey & Gina
10-16-2015, 12:30
I use and love Injinji Outdoor 2.0 NuWool socks.

Cadenza
10-16-2015, 22:47
I seem to be the only person on the planet that doesn't like Darn Tough.
They feel like they have hard ridges under the ball of my foot.

I'll take SmartWool or Bridgedales over Darn Tough any day of the week.

coastwatcher42
10-17-2015, 02:50
Holy crap! You weren't playing around were you? That's gotta be $250 - $300 bucks for some socks. I love Darn Tough and have been wearing them for several years but I don't have anywhere near 12 pairs. I take it you are going to be wearing them for more than just hiking?

I ordered several pairs of boot socks for hiking, several pairs of 1/4 crew socks for wear with athletic shoes, and several pairs of light crew socks for everyday wear. I only really needed some hiking socks but, with everyone going on about them so, I decided to get the other pairs as well.