PDA

View Full Version : Hiking In Georgia

The 3 Beez
10-13-2015, 11:36
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/progress.gif
(http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=55634)

I am considering a short hike from Springer to Mountain Crossing and then back to Springer. Just wondering how much hiker traffic will be going on Mid to Late November. I guess there will be the South bounders finishing up. Should I start further North to avoid the influx of SB. Will the shelters be empty
I've been wondering what to expect as far as freezing temperatures during this time of year. Not too cold yet? I think water will be no problem.
Any chatter from the hiking ...

illabelle
10-13-2015, 11:55
The AT in November is lightly traveled. The number of southbound thru-hikers is nothing like the northbound spring crowd. I wouldn't worry about overcrowding at all.

Temperatures can range from comfortable to frigid. Check the forecast when the time gets close and pack accordingly.

Malto
10-13-2015, 12:46
There will be no SoBo crowds. Also reco doing the Benton MacKay Trail back to Springer either from Three forks or better yet from Blood Mountain via the Duncan ridge trail, the Georgia loop.

Gambit McCrae
10-13-2015, 14:42
There is no such thing as a south bound influx. Even if 30 south bounders were to summit on a Tuesday, it would be nothing as to the hundreds you see going north in the spring. Springer to Neels and back seems like a good plan, why not do all of GA though? I'm not a fan of backtracking lol

rafe
10-13-2015, 14:47
+1 to the other posts -- there will be no perceptible crowding from finishing southbounders. There aren't that many to begin with, and they are spread out over two or three months or more.

Traveler
10-13-2015, 14:54
Somehow, I don't get the image of crowding in November like there is in March....

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M83561cba70b3209a27f11d3afafae1baH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=330&h=189

The 3 Beez
10-13-2015, 15:38
Never thought about this option for a loop. Thanks and I will have to check it out further.

The 3 Beez
10-13-2015, 16:17
I also forgot to ask about the possibility of any black bear activity in the area. I don't think there is at this point of the trail.

illabelle
10-13-2015, 16:29
I also forgot to ask about the possibility of any black bear activity in the area. I don't think there is at this point of the trail.

Black bears are active in this area, even in November. Please be careful to keep your food away from them so they don't become problem bears that end up euthanized.

Enjoy your hike! :)

Spacelord
10-13-2015, 20:51
Don't forget hunting season. Seems to be a few hunters in the area every year when I go in November.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

ElCid94
10-13-2015, 22:21

The AT runs through the Blood Mountain Wilderness Area on this section of trail between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap. Increased bear activity in the BMWA prompted the Forest Service to impose a regulation requiring the use of bear canisters for overnight camping from March 1 to June 1. The regulation does not apply in November, but you should still be alert and diligent about bear bagging all smell-ables. I have an irrational fear of / healthy respect for bears. When hiking from Woody Gap to Neels Gap last month, I got off the trail at Jarrard Gap and camped at Lake Winfield Scott Recreation Area (reservations required with a two-night minimum).

FatMan
10-13-2015, 22:31
I am considering a short hike from Springer to Mountain Crossing and then back to Springer.I don't consider a 60+ mile hike short. But why backtrack? I recommend doing the 50 miles to Unicoi Gap, or the 67 miles to Dicks Creek Gap and getting a shuttle back to Springer. Or you can do the Duncan Ridge-BMT-AT loop as mentioned above. But the Duncan Ridge is not for the faint of heart. Stay on the AT unless you are very experienced.

Just wondering how much hiker traffic will be going on Mid to Late November. I guess there will be the South bounders finishing up. Should I start further North to avoid the influx of SB. Will the shelters be emptyHiker traffic will be quite low during weekdays but will pickup on the weekends. And surprisingly Thanksgiving week is a popular week. SOBOs are not much an issue. You will see some but they will fly right by as they are doing big miles at the end.

I've been wondering what to expect as far as freezing temperatures during this time of year. Not too cold yet? I think water will be no problem.Any chatter from the hiking ... Weather in the second half of November is a crap shoot. Could be very moderate with highs in the upper 50s/low 60s with lows at night in the 30s or it can be quite cold with lows in the low teens with single digits not entirely out of the question. Check the forecast for trail towns (Suches, Blairsville, Dahlonega) and subtract 5-8 degrees for the trail. Water can be tough some years in November. But this is not one of those. Water is great. Many of the spring seasonal seeps are even flowing. And don't worry about Bears. It will be hunting season so the Bears will be going out of their way to avoid humans. So please wear some Blaze Orange, especially if you choose the Duncan Ridge. Lots of hunters over there and they do not think as much about hikers and they do with the AT.

Tipi Walter
10-13-2015, 22:48
Somehow, I don't get the image of crowding in November like there is in March....

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M83561cba70b3209a27f11d3afafae1baH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=330&h=189

Now this is what we had when I backpacked in Oklahoma.

slbirdnerd
10-15-2015, 13:07
For weather by shelter: http://www.atweather.org/.

Now, if someone could just make the forecast change so it doesn't rain the entire length of my late-Octoebr trip in GSMNP, I'd really appreciate it! :)

I'm kinda with the others on not abcktracking, although sometimes I wonder if the trail would even look remotely the same in reverse. I'm betting not.

sideshow11
10-15-2015, 21:17
For weather by shelter: http://www.atweather.org/.

Now, if someone could just make the forecast change so it doesn't rain the entire length of my late-Octoebr trip in GSMNP, I'd really appreciate it! :)

I'm kinda with the others on not abcktracking, although sometimes I wonder if the trail would even look remotely the same in reverse. I'm betting not.

Wow - great weather site - thanks for sharing - we are going next week so this is super useful to me....thumbs up!