PDA

View Full Version : What's a Bearikade expedition worth?

saltysack
10-14-2015, 06:50
I ran across a good deal on this can...wish I found a month ago before I rented one. I can buy for $100....doubt I'll use anytime soon but think I'll buy and resell...thoughts?? Not much demand for this can in the south....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imscotty
10-14-2015, 07:21
Salty, great deal. Used ones sell for twice that on Ebay. Tell you what, if you do not want it, send me the sellers contact info.

Vegan Packer
10-14-2015, 12:22
I love mine. 33 ounces for a 750 Custom Bearikade.

MuddyWaters
10-14-2015, 13:10
Usually sell for 90% of new to ca residents since no tax. Thats $50 discount for them

Coffee
10-14-2015, 14:10
I ran across a good deal on this can...wish I found a month ago before I rented one. I can buy for $100....doubt I'll use anytime soon but think I'll buy and resell...thoughts?? Not much demand for this can in the south....

That's a steal assuming it is in decent shape. You can probably double your money if you resell it.

saltysack
10-14-2015, 14:40
I'm due to pick up tomorrow...hoping for $80....it was his roommates and he moved...used twice only one to two years old....ill prob sell or trade for weekender as can't imagine using anything this big. Weekender worked perfect for my JMT hike.

swisscross
10-14-2015, 15:23
I'm due to pick up tomorrow...hoping for $80....it was his roommates and he moved...used twice only one to two years old....ill prob sell or trade for weekender as can't imagine using anything this big. Weekender worked perfect for my JMT hike.

Fantastic deal. Wonder if Wild Ideas would modify to fit your needs.

saltysack
10-14-2015, 15:24
Fantastic deal. Wonder if Wild Ideas would modify to fit your needs.

Yep but about $65 with shipping so they would prob trade for s rental he said....

HooKooDooKu
10-14-2015, 16:36
Weekender worked perfect for my JMT hike.
Salty, what was your longest time between resupplies with the Weekender?

I'm hoping to do a JMT thru in the next couple of years... but due to time and budgetary constraints, I think I'll be trying 10 days from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal with no resupply.
I've worried that even the Expedition wasn't going to be big enough.

imscotty
10-14-2015, 16:49
HooKooDooKu,

I used a custom Bearikade on that leg that was about 700 in**3. I took about 8 days worth of food in the Bearikade and 1 in my pack. It was tight. The Expedition should be fine if you pack it well but be warned it is huge. My custom was 11.5 inches tall. I got the custom size because I thought it would fit Horizontally in my ULA Catalyst, but I ended up going vertical since a lot easier/ better anyway.

saltysack
10-14-2015, 18:32
Salty, what was your longest time between resupplies with the Weekender?

I'm hoping to do a JMT thru in the next couple of years... but due to time and budgetary constraints, I think I'll be trying 10 days from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal with no resupply.
I've worried that even the Expedition wasn't going to be big enough.

I had no prob getting 6.5 days in after mtr...weekender fit horizontal in my circuit...this trip is a must do!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't wait...ill be going back with my 9 year old in a few years for sure! The flip flop was a great way to do it logistically and made it easier not climbing out of the valley. I posted my schedule on mtr section where video link is... Didn't think 13 days was to tough and this was my longest hike to date....

saltysack
10-15-2015, 13:46
Just picked it up....looks new....$80....now what? Sell/keep or trade for weekender?

HooKooDooKu
10-15-2015, 16:24
Planning any trips out west? If not, I don't see much need to keep or attempt to trade for a weekender.

Might as well sell it... right here in the forum. For the right price, it sounds like you might have some interested parties in this very thread (imscotty and me). Given the small JMT sub-forum, you should be able to find other interested parties as well.

saltysack
10-15-2015, 18:02
Yep trying to figure out where my next few trips out west will be......where other than sierras are bear cans mandatory? With that being said it's doubtful I'll ever need the capacity of the expedition unless was carrying food for two...I assume when I go back to sierras my son will carry his own can as can't see me lugging that weight...

jefals
10-16-2015, 23:01
What's your experience comparing the bearikade to the bv500? You could get a little more volume with 2 bv500s for about 1/2 the price of one bearikade. But, would that make sense? Is the quality of the bearvault comparable to the bearikade? There might be an advantage to having your food divided into 2 containers .. (in case something happens to one of them)..

jefals
10-16-2015, 23:11
Yep trying to figure out where my next few trips out west will be......

After looking at that video, I don't see how you're gonna top that JMT. But there's good hiking in Big Bend national park -- southwest Texas. Also the Sandias, around Albuquerque...

MuddyWaters
10-16-2015, 23:23
I dont know where i would ever use an expedition. I can cram 8 days in weekender.

The bearikade isnt IGBC approved for grizzlys btw. Its pretty much a light weight sierra cannister for black bears.

jefals
10-17-2015, 07:54
Yep trying to figure out where my next few trips out west will be......

After looking at that video, I don't see how you're gonna top that JMT. But there's good hiking in Big Bend national park -- southwest Texas. Also the Sandias, around Albuquerque...

And, if you start to consider Albuquerque and the Sandias, you might want to add in the balloon Fiesta they do there for a week or so each year...check it out!

saltysack
10-17-2015, 08:50
I dont know where i would ever use an expedition. I can cram 8 days in weekender.

The bearikade isnt IGBC approved for grizzlys btw. Its pretty much a light weight sierra cannister for black bears.

If I go into grizz country I'll add some extra weight for sure!!! Bear spray, 44 mag and someone I can out run!!!! [emoji12] Didn't realize wasn't grizz approved.....definitely don't need anything larger than weekender either...can't imagine how heavy the expedition would be full! I was 32lbs out of mtr with a full weekender....heavy enough!!! My kid will carry his own food!!! Expedition going up for sale...prob wait till spring when need is higher..what should I list for? New $350....looks like new but it's 2013 build date..

MuddyWaters
10-17-2015, 10:08
Heres the thing. I dont think they will, and I dont think its a good idea with nothing to tie to above treeline, but if Yosemite succumbs to public pressure to approve Ursack, the resale of bearikades will plummet to $50. Too many people only concerned with whats light, not whats best for the bears and themselves.

The reason it commands high price and resale, is its 1/2 lb lighter than the next option. And its easier to get open. Incredible really.

I saw one sell for $330 two years ago.

colorado_rob
10-17-2015, 10:52
If I go into grizz country I'll add some extra weight for sure!!! Bear spray, 44 mag and someone I can out run!!!! [emoji12] Didn't realize wasn't grizz approved.....definitely don't need anything larger than weekender either...can't imagine how heavy the expedition would be full! I was 32lbs out of mtr with a full weekender....heavy enough!!! My kid will carry his own food!!! Expedition going up for sale...prob wait till spring when need is higher..what should I list for? New $350....looks like new but it's 2013 build date..
WHERE are you planning on hiking where there are Grizzly bears? None in CO or CA for example, only some small areas in WY and MT. No other western state have any. Google up their habitat, very few areas outside of Alaska. Lots of areas in Colorado now require bear canisters, but currently nowhere along the CT. I do plan on buying a bearikade here soon, but something smaller than the expedition, else I'd make you an offer.

Lots of advantages of bear canisters, especially ones that are sub 2-lb. They make great seats, for example! Plus, so convenient for food storage, of course. I, for one, would not substitute Ursacks for a canister, even if they became legal in the Sierra's. I used a bearikade on my JMT hike, but it was borrowed and alas, I had to return it and the guy now moved away.

Venchka
10-17-2015, 16:48
Rob,
You forgot Canada (lots of grizzlies) and sporadic sightings in Idaho & Washington. I read somewhere that the Wilderness Area south of the Bob had the largest concentration of Grizzlies in the Lower 48. The CDT runs through there.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

MuddyWaters
10-17-2015, 17:05
Rob,
You forgot Canada (lots of grizzlies) and sporadic sightings in Idaho & Washington. I read somewhere that the Wilderness Area south of the Bob had the largest concentration of Grizzlies in the Lower 48. The CDT runs through there.

Wayne

and they have been spotted, and are rumoured, in san juans in COin Weminuche wilderness. Before the last one was killed in 1979, the previous confirmed in CO was in the 1950s. 20+ yrs without a confirmation doesnt mean doesnt exist. I think CO likes to keep this quiet, mostly to protect them if they are there. Or.. to avoid the impact a highly endangered species presence might have.

Venchka
10-17-2015, 18:02
I have seen black bears in the San Juans. Griz would be very interesting.

Wayne