PDA

View Full Version : What is an adventurer?

Malto
10-14-2015, 18:34
I have seen various hikers on Facey declare themselves an "adventurer". Some have only hiked marked trails in prime season. So, what is needed before you would describe yourself as an adventurer?

donthaveoneyet
10-14-2015, 19:13
I have seen various hikers on Facey declare themselves an "adventurer". Some have only hiked marked trails in prime season. So, what is needed before you would describe yourself as an adventurer?

Daring to post anything on WB?

MuddyWaters
10-14-2015, 19:15
Adventure is different, for different people.
For newbies, its an overnighter on an established trail.
For a triple crowner, it might be a solo winter traverse of somewhere off trail.

For a few, its climbing unnamed, never visited peaks in the andes.

To me, its what takes you out of your comfort zone and pushes you to new levels.

Colter
10-14-2015, 19:17

I think it depends a lot on the person and where the person is in their life. Camping out in the woods 600 yards from the house was an adventure when I was eight. A first over-night backpacking trip might be an adventure for a forty-year-old. The most amazing thing any of us on this forum has done would likely pale compared to Amundsen or Reinhold Messner.

Lone Wolf
10-14-2015, 19:32
adventure to me was going to Parris Island 2 months out of high school

Tipi Walter
10-14-2015, 19:35

I'm an old Air Force puke but can relate.

Starchild
10-14-2015, 19:45
The adventure starts when the plan ends.

So one who goes with it and either has it work, or makes it work.

WingedMonkey
10-14-2015, 19:45
Adventurer?

I thought it was a comic book/cartoon character.

Odd Man Out
10-14-2015, 20:08
Compared to what I do all week, which involves a computer and a desk, my weekend 20 mile hike on a well established trail was an adventure.

Violent Green
10-14-2015, 20:18
Risk is a requirement. Uncertainty that the journey will be finished also. There should be a high degree of difficulty. Trauma and Pepper's winter hike of the PCT comes to mind as a good example.

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2015, 20:21
I am a hiker, however I often carry an Adventurer on by back.

garlic08
10-14-2015, 20:22
Two definitions I like:

"Adventure is what happens when things go wrong."

Or more specifically, "Adventure is what happens when some jerk loses the map."

kayak karl
10-14-2015, 20:30
When i think of adventures i think of Huckleberry Finn.....Oh, and Rin Tin Tin :)

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2015, 20:50
So here is a musing of mine, please understand that it's just one of my many passing thoughts and that I don't post it with the intention of offending anyone.

I have been or been brought hiking/camping/meandering/exploring/caving/nature walking since before I could walk. It has always been secondary to my "real responsibilities" and I've have never been out for more than 3-4 weeks at a time, but when you add up the time I've spent outdoors I have hundreds of bag nights and thousands of miles put in at all times of the year in many different places. Basically if I get the chance to do something that fits into my other responsibilities and I am reasonably physically capable of it I jump at the opportunity.

I have met many many thru hikers over the years and most of them are awesome. That said there are a very small percentage of them who have told me that I am "just" a section hiker. I have always laughed it off because frankly I don't want to be a dick when I'm on the trail, but here's what really goes through my head:

Well what about you?

How many winter nights have you been out?
Do you flinch at the idea of a subzero night?
Have you ever slept through -20*f?
Have you done any technical mountaineering?
Ever stayed at the same A.T. campsite for a night each month of the year and witnessed the staggering contrast of the seasons?
Have you ever bushwacked through old growth forest for days in a row using a compass and altimeter to find your route?
Ever sat on the same spot on an inaccessible river until you had enough trout for lunch?
Can you identify the species of tree you are leaning against?
How often have woken up in your comfortable bed on a Saturday morning, seen that it's 40* and raining and said "great that packed local trail should be all mine today!"?
Have you conned your girlfriend into hiking on overnights with you each year only to end up with a wife that loves being out for days on end?
Do you know why a 18lb pack and a 65lb pack can both be considered borderline ultralight in New England depending on what you are doing?

What's that? You haven't experienced any of those things? I guess you're "just" a thru hiker. ;) ...But enjoy your trip, I still think what you're doing is awesome. :sun

Oh and an adventurer is also someone who plays KOL: :D

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2010/11/koltitle.jpg

fiddlehead
10-14-2015, 20:59
Stepping out of the box.
It's hard to call a trip to the jungle an adventure if you've spent a large part of your life there.
But easy, if you've never been.

It's all relative.

Another Kevin
10-14-2015, 21:13
http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1365860649p2/7014283.jpg (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7014283.G_K_Chesterton)“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7014283.G_K_Chesterton)

Another Kevin
10-14-2015, 21:14

rocketsocks
10-14-2015, 21:28
ad·ven·ture

[adˈvenCHər, əd-]

NOUN

an unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity:
"her recent adventures in Italy"synonyms: exploit (https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+exploit) · escapade (https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+escapade) · deed (https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+deed) · feat (https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+feat) · experience (https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+experience)

Kookork
10-14-2015, 21:32
The word adventurer is overused and abused by many ordinary nature enthusiasts. What for them looks like an adventure is just a routine trip for most of others.

Another Kevin
10-14-2015, 22:00
Well what about you? I'm not an adventurer. I'm a clueless weekender.

How many winter nights have you been out? At least a few. And then a few more. OK, I've stopped counting.
Do you flinch at the idea of a subzero night? Yes, but that doesn't stop me.
Have you ever slept through -20*f? Well, nearly. I had to get up to pee. I'm really pushing my gear for that, though. If it gets that cold, I'll be wearing every stitch of clothing that I brought. Any colder, and I'd start thinking about a debris hut.
Have you done any technical mountaineering? Not for many years.
Ever stayed at the same A.T. campsite for a night each month of the year and witnessed the staggering contrast of the seasons? I've lost my old notes. I must have been close to that with Velvet Rocks.
Have you ever bushwacked through old growth forest for days in a row using a compass and altimeter to find your route? What do you think? You were there. :)
Ever sat on the same spot on an inaccessible river until you had enough trout for lunch? One of these years I might take up fishing.
Can you identify the species of tree you are leaning against? I'm not leaning on one at the moment. The last one I leant on was Pyrus calleryana, and it's a noxious invasive.
How often have woken up in your comfortable bed on a Saturday morning, seen that it's 40* and raining and said "great that packed local trail should be all mine today!"? It's been known to happen occasionally.
Have you conned your girlfriend into hiking on overnights with you each year only to end up with a wife that loves being out for days on end? Nope. My wife thinks I'm nuts to do this stuff. But after 25 years, I think I'll keep her anyway. <3
Do you know why a 18lb pack and a 65lb pack can both be considered borderline ultralight in New England depending on what you are doing? That's why I don't do very much winter backpacking. (I switch to peak bagging.)

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2015, 22:13
The word adventurer is overused and abused by many ordinary nature enthusiasts. What for them looks like an adventure is just a routine trip for most of others.

So to play Devil's Advocate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_advocate), how is it abused?

I am about middle of the road outdoors folk, I do things that my office co-workers think are insane, but my mountaineering friends think are safe and routine?

This past may I brought a friend and former coworker of mine on a 36 mile loop of the A.T. and Mohawk Trail (former A.T.) in Connecticut. My friend was absolutely in far superior shape, he had run the NYC marathon and a separate half Iron-Man within the year prior to the trip, however he had never done a real multi-day hike on a trail, all of his extreme athletic experiences had been clearly laid out and regulated. This particular trip was great for me because he had no idea what he was doing and relied on me for planning and experience (for which I taught him everything I had to offer) meanwhile I hiked with a friend who was far beyond my physical ability and who could have left me in the dust if he had known where he was going. At the end of the day both of us had a great adventure, him because he had done a hike that he would have never done with an "experienced" guide, and me because I was pushed to the edge of my ability by a far more physically able hiking partner. I think we both had an adventure on that one.

rocketsocks
10-14-2015, 22:14
One time...at band camp. :D

Heliotrope
10-14-2015, 22:20
On my most recent trip when our feet hit the road and we walked to the trail head fully loaded with food with miles of winding trail ahead. That feeling of wanderlust. At that moment I was an adventurer. Pursuing an exciting quest into new places. Perhaps when a substantial part of my life involves such endeavors I will identify myself as an adventurer. Let the adventurer define himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2015, 22:23
One time...at band camp. :D

Dude, seriously, as soon as I saw this thread I knew you were going to post that.

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2015, 22:27
On my most recent trip when our feet hit the road and we walked to the trail head fully loaded with food with miles of winding trail ahead. That feeling of wanderlust. At that moment I was an adventurer. Pursuing an exciting quest into new places. Perhaps when a substantial part of my life involves such endeavors I will identify myself as an adventurer. Let the adventurer define himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk\

You were adventurer. Get up, get out, push yourself beyond what's normally expected, that's all that matters.

(Bonus points if your coworker think you're nuts.)

Another Kevin
10-14-2015, 22:58
This particular trip was great for me because he had no idea what he was doing and relied on me for planning and experience (for which I taught him everything I had to offer) meanwhile I hiked with a friend who was far beyond my physical ability and who could have left me in the dust if he had known where he was going.

Wow. I felt like that the time that I hiked with a certain fast hiker we both know. He wasn't going to leave me in the dust because there was snow on the ground. He'd leave me in the slush instead. :)

I really burnt myself out trying to keep up with him on the first day, over Bear and Race and Everett starting from Mt Washington Road. He's light enough that he was walking light on the snow. I really wished for my snowshoes, but they were in the car. There was just a glaze of ice down by the road.

Then the second day started with the Jug End bushwhack, and he was lost, never having done a few miles off-trail before. I had great directions, and I was in my element. We finished the whack in good order. About midday, though, I totally lost it and had to bail near Catamount. Turns out I had bronchitis, no wonder I was struggling so much with the climbs.

It's interesting hiking with someone who's much more of an athlete but who doesn't have the technical skills to handle a particular trip. It gives you both lessons in accommodating each other.

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2015, 23:05
Wow. I felt like that the time that I hiked with a certain fast hiker we both know. He wasn't going to leave me in the dust because there was snow on the ground. He'd leave me in the slush instead. :)

I really burnt myself out trying to keep up with him on the first day, over Bear and Race and Everett starting from Mt Washington Road. He's light enough that he was walking light on the snow. I really wished for my snowshoes, but they were in the car. There was just a glaze of ice down by the road.

Then the second day started with the Jug End bushwhack, and he was lost, never having done a few miles off-trail before. I had great directions, and I was in my element. We finished the whack in good order. About midday, though, I totally lost it and had to bail near Catamount. Turns out I had bronchitis, no wonder I was struggling so much with the climbs.

It's interesting hiking with someone who's much more of an athlete but who doesn't have the technical skills to handle a particular trip. It gives you both lessons in accommodating each other.

I assume that you are referring to the gentleman I hike with whom I refer to a "Legolas" for his ability to walk on top of snow>? He's good people and it pains me that I didn't make this winter's meetup to see you and him.

While making no promises, I would love to do that loop in the future with someone who knows it well.

Dogwood
10-14-2015, 23:12
An adventurer is one who:

after their entire life of eating Frosted Flakes with cow's milk for b-fast decides to suddenly live on the wild side by trying Cocoa Crispies with Almond Milk.

is startled by a raccoon seeking their dinner in the garbage can while your attempting to drag the can out to the curb after a few too many at the tavern.

catches fireflies or a fish with their hands.

peels oneself from the TV brainwashing.

makes it from the couch to the fridge to the bathroom back to the couch.

rafe
10-14-2015, 23:22
I've done a few things that might (or might not) be considered adventurous. But I would not describe or refer to myself as an adventurer. My adventures are generally of a low key and non-life-threatening sort. And hopefully will remain so.

When we were young, a friend and I spent a half year in Europe with no real goal, purpose or itinerary. Slept on beaches in Morocco, rooftops in Athens, and in the desert by the Gulf of Aqaba. Worried our parents sick, and somehow made it home alive. I guess that was an adventure.

Tipi Walter
10-14-2015, 23:27
I'd say ANY time spent with a lawyer is an adventure.

Shutterbug
10-14-2015, 23:48
It is hard to define "adventure" but you know one when you live through it. Here are a few of mine:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19957918/DoneThat.pdf

Dogwood
10-14-2015, 23:51
An adventurer is one who:

is willing to, and does, stomp in puddles with the children

sleeps under a tarp in the winter

rides a bicycle to the office

has built a tree fort...as an adult

doesn't need elbow or knee pads or a damn helmet or a $100 glow in the dark neon colored shirt with logos all over it to ride a bicycle

is willing to not freak out if they left the house without their car keys, wallet, and Ipod/Smart Phone

drives a 20 yr or older model vehicle

Kookork
10-14-2015, 23:59
So to play Devil's Advocate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_advocate), how is it abused?

I am about middle of the road outdoors folk, I do things that my office co-workers think are insane, but my mountaineering friends think are safe and routine?

This past may I brought a friend and former coworker of mine on a 36 mile loop of the A.T. and Mohawk Trail (former A.T.) in Connecticut. My friend was absolutely in far superior shape, he had run the NYC marathon and a separate half Iron-Man within the year prior to the trip, however he had never done a real multi-day hike on a trail, all of his extreme athletic experiences had been clearly laid out and regulated. This particular trip was great for me because he had no idea what he was doing and relied on me for planning and experience (for which I taught him everything I had to offer) meanwhile I hiked with a friend who was far beyond my physical ability and who could have left me in the dust if he had known where he was going. At the end of the day both of us had a great adventure, him because he had done a hike that he would have never done with an "experienced" guide, and me because I was pushed to the edge of my ability by a far more physically able hiking partner. I think we both had an adventure on that one.

I can out wrestle most of my friends that are around my weight but I can't call myself a wrestler because I can't compete with a decent collegiate wrestler and quite honestly between my friends and a real wrestler if I have to choose whose opinion matters, I'll go with what a pro thinks.

People can call themselves adventurer and an average clueless office dweller would believe them but most of them are not adventurer when asked from people that their opinion matters.

Another Kevin
10-15-2015, 00:12
I assume that you are referring to the gentleman I hike with whom I refer to a "Legolas" for his ability to walk on top of snow>? He's good people and it pains me that I didn't make this winter's meetup to see you and him.

While making no promises, I would love to do that loop in the future with someone who knows it well.

Yup. That's him.

I won't say I know the route well, but I've done it, and found that the description is easy to follow.

Mags
10-15-2015, 00:44
For a triple crowner,

..it is hiking a trail without an iPhone app. ;) [1]

I'll never be an adventurer. I just like being outside.

Give me a cup of coffee, a cool and crisp fall morning and a some blazing cottonwoods and I am quite happy.

I'll leave the labels to others.

[1] Most triple crowners have a limited outdoor skills set. But that's another story... (http://www.pmags.com/thru-hikers-specialized-outdoors-knowledge)

Dogwood
10-15-2015, 01:21
You may be an adventurer if:

you traveled Greyhound on an overnighter across the country beginning on a friday or sat night and used the coach's bathroom without wearing a HAZMAT suit

you have done at least one long hike without a Data Book or Guidebook

the mountains, distant horizons on the sea,dark caverns, foreign lands, and stars call to you,....and you feel in your being you must go them

Dogwood
10-15-2015, 01:25
You may be an adventurer:

if you're willing to die to explore the unknown....but are going to do your damn BEST to survive.

August W.
10-15-2015, 06:47

What is needed would be the desire for others to view me as an adventurer. I don't do Facepage and I don't concern myself with whether or not others view me as an adventurer.
More valuable than a public image of being adventurous is the individual ability to feel adventurous, to experience adventure, whether it is on a city sidewalk, a sticky bar stool, by an unnamed alpine lake, or "only" on a marked trail in prime season.

Traveler
10-15-2015, 06:50
Given all the definitions appearing on this thread, adventure is subjective to the individual and the quest they are undertaking or unanticipated adversity they are facing. There are adventures that test ones physical endurance, trail craft skills, emotional/mental challenges, complex problem solving, driving/piloting/navigation/orientation skills, adaptation skills, decision making, and leadership abilities.

Interestingly, all of these can be scaled (the backyard at 8 years old to Mt Washington in March) and applied to most any activity people engage in, be it driving, hiking, boating, flying, climbing, hunting, bird watching, scout mastering, etc.

August W.
10-15-2015, 07:24
Given all the definitions appearing on this thread, adventure is subjective to the individual and the quest they are undertaking or unanticipated adversity they are facing. There are adventures that test ones physical endurance, trail craft skills, emotional/mental challenges, complex problem solving, driving/piloting/navigation/orientation skills, adaptation skills, decision making, and leadership abilities.

Interestingly, all of these can be scaled (the backyard at 8 years old to Mt Washington in March) and applied to most any activity people engage in, be it driving, hiking, boating, flying, climbing, hunting, bird watching, scout mastering, etc.

Yes, I agree. And the person who feels the need to publicly label himself an Adventurer likely has a higher than average chance of being remembered as being, simply, "a legend in his own mind".

Venchka
10-15-2015, 08:26
We should ask Ben. Ben knows.

I am so bad early in the morning. :D :eek: :cool:

Wayne

Zach ADK
10-15-2015, 08:57
I think that calling oneself an "adventurer" is part of the current trend of relentless self-promotion that I see in people of my age group. The principle of "don't toot your own horn" seems to have fallen by the metaphorical wayside. I have been on a few walks in the park that went bad, but I wouldn't say they rose to the level of an adventure since I was never in danger, just experiencing some inconvenience and/or discomfort.
Zach

Coffee
10-15-2015, 09:03
To call yourself an "adventurer" in the context of seeking publicity involves a very high bar. Doing something that few others have been willing or able to do. But from a personal perspective, it is really anything that is unfamiliar and uncertain with at least some element of (controlled) risk. My most "adventurous" hike to date was on the PCT in places where snow obscured the trail. That would be a pedestrian walk in the park for people more experienced than I am. The first time I backpacked at Point Reyes National Seashore as a teenager was an adventure for me, but it is a very heavily used developed area with developed backpacker campsites. It wouldn't be an adventure today. Last year when I did my first longer AT section it was kind of an adventure. When I repeat part of that section starting this weekend it won't be. It is a relative concept at a personal level. I would never characterize anything that I've done (or plan to do) as an "adventure" in terms of seeking publicity. It's all rather boring at that high bar.

4eyedbuzzard
10-15-2015, 09:57
adventure to me was going to Parris Island 2 months out of high schoolBrings back memories of the recruiting commercial, "Navy. It's not just a job, it's an adventure". at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoFElIwXpI

And, of course, Saturday Night Live's even more famous parody of the commercial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhioeOeOHsA

donthaveoneyet
10-15-2015, 10:08
We should ask Ben. Ben knows.

I am so bad early in the morning. :D :eek: :cool:

Wayne

While you're at it, ask him what's the best way to maximize the clicks on your blog.

Odd Man Out
10-15-2015, 10:13
For me, if I am going someplace or doing something I haven't been before, it's an adventure.

Moosling
10-15-2015, 10:15
What we do as hikers and backpackers is out of the norm for most of the world, so I say we are all adventurers. When I was single it wasn't uncommon for a friend to call me and randomly go and backpack somewhere call in to work monday and say I was sick and just stay out in the woods. Thats adventure.

rocketsocks
10-15-2015, 10:35
What we do as hikers and backpackers is out of the norm for most of the world, so I say we are all adventurers. When I was single it wasn't uncommon for a friend to call me and randomly go and backpack somewhere call in to work monday and say I was sick and just stay out in the woods. Thats adventure.
I agree, Beatin' the bricks Tuesday mornin' lookin' for a new job sure can be an adventure!

slbirdnerd
10-15-2015, 11:16
For a triple crowner, it might be a solo winter traverse of somewhere off trail.

To me, its what takes you out of your comfort zone and pushes you to new levels.

What Muddy said... And even further, Yvon Choinard said "When something goes wrong, that's when the real adventure begins..." Watch "180' South," if you haven't. THAT was an adventure!

Moosling
10-15-2015, 11:48
I agree, Beatin' the bricks Tuesday mornin' lookin' for a new job sure can be an adventure!

Hey sick days are provided if I didn't get sick to use them I would lose them at the end of the year and that would be a waste of money.

Just Bill
10-15-2015, 12:41
Perception and Perspective.

Adventure is something that happens when we step beyond ourselves, even if only slightly. While everyone's limits are different, crossing our individual boundaries takes something, and is a rewarding pursuit.

I vividly remember one of my first lead climbs on a shifting hand to finger width crack. It was roughly a 60' climb and had decent protection except for a 15' section leading to the crux that contained a decent bit of run out only 40' off the ground.

Death? Doubtful, but certainly a good bit of bodily unpleasantness and a fair chance of hitting the deck if the piece below me blew should I fall. It was vastly different from the world of climbing gyms and safer top roping I had done, it was "real" climbing… and the experience of risking life and limb was quite real. I had to face down fear, gain control, master myself and pull through the crux as I desperately placed the protection with little more than willpower to go on.

It was a move I would not have pulled if I hadn't been on the sharp end. It changed my life. I was hooked.

That said, it was a 5.8+ at the very mundane Mississippi Palisades State Park in Western Illinois. All the same, just because a "pro" could walk up it, doesn't mean I wasn't in over my head. I had no allusions of making it on the cover of climbing magazine nor contacting Petzl for sponsorship. All the perception was there… but it was a low rung on a very lofty ladder that has no end.

It was an adventure, but tempered with perspective.

It's tough..

I was considered quite the adventurer and "wild man" in my little pond of a suburban high school… so I understand why so many come back with a small taste thinking they are hot $hit. Fortunately for me I didn't have an interplanetary bullhorn at my fingertips to embarrass myself with too often.

The steps are the same on the path to adventure… but much of the perspective is lacking, even among many mighty thru-hikers. But what can you do… we need folks to get out. To get hooked. I'd call this side effect the lesser of two evils.

Sadly the vast majority of the population of this country would call a car camping trip in a tent a grand adventure, and most visitors to our national parks rarely make it more than a few hundred yards from a manmade structure or the car they came in.

Like it or not- simply taking the first step is a pretty big deal these days. Most never will. To the population at large- our buddy ben is walking shoulder to shoulder with Trauma and Pepper.

Perspective works both ways.

Nothing wrong with a little venting about it though…

Besides, everyone knows that you have to publish a crappy book to be considered an adventurer.:rolleyes:

donthaveoneyet
10-15-2015, 12:44
I reckon this qualifies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf7TypZwtc

Tipi Walter
10-15-2015, 14:21
Let's go to the good old Oxford: From the Latin: adventurus---"about to happen", derived from advenire, "arrive".

So, a blood clot traveling into the brain of a couch potato sitting too long and watching TV would certainly quality as "something about to happen", from the Latin of course. Or for a fly landing on your head.

Perhaps doing anything "hazardous" makes a person an adventurer. Driving, eating hydrogenated fat, not moving off a couch for 8 hours, binge drinking, sleeping with cobras, running with the bulls, ignoring dental rot etc.

squeezebox
10-15-2015, 15:22
Public television has a program about a young female adventurer.
Oh!!Wait!! Nora is an explorer not an adventurer, there must be some difference between the two.
Never mind!!

Dogwood
10-15-2015, 16:00
My quick witted niece would be fast to correct you saying the name of her favorite cartoon character isn't Nora it's Dora the Explorer. And she has a pet monkey she hikes with. His name is Diego. What kinda name is Squeezebox Mister? :D

donthaveoneyet
10-15-2015, 16:01
Dora.

Coffee
10-15-2015, 16:05
Yeah, if you want any credibility with younger relatives don't screw up the names of cartoon characters. I was recently humiliated due to not knowing the proper names for several transformers. Kids can be brutal - worse than thru hikers ridiculing weekenders...

Sarcasm the elf
10-15-2015, 19:05
Public television has a program about a young female adventurer. Oh!!Wait!! Nora is an explorer not an adventurer, there must be some difference between the two.Never mind!!You mean this one? She looks like an adventurer to me :D

http://youtu.be/TnpTcrtsN3U

Slosteppin
10-15-2015, 19:43

I went to PI between my junior and senior years of high school. I convinced myself I could endure anything for 90 days.

donthaveoneyet
10-15-2015, 20:28
On the topic of Dora... I'm afraid to insert the link/vid (I'd probably be banned forever), but on youtube search Dora the Explorer: At the Function. Beware foul language (but you will laugh your butt, at least I did).

Heliotrope
10-15-2015, 22:53
Brings back memories of the recruiting commercial, "Navy. It's not just a job, it's an adventure". at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoFElIwXpI

And, of course, Saturday Night Live's even more famous parody of the commercial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhioeOeOHsA

Hysterical!

Heliotrope
10-15-2015, 23:04
Let's go to the good old Oxford: From the Latin: adventurus---"about to happen", derived from advenire, "arrive".

So, a blood clot traveling into the brain of a couch potato sitting too long and watching TV would certainly quality as "something about to happen", from the Latin of course. Or for a fly landing on your head.

Perhaps doing anything "hazardous" makes a person an adventurer. Driving, eating hydrogenated fat, not moving off a couch for 8 hours, binge drinking, sleeping with cobras, running with the bulls, ignoring dental rot etc.

A blood clot to the brain was not an adventure it was just a cerebral vascular accident. [emoji12]

Lnj
10-16-2015, 10:51

+1. Especially the last one. Adventure is any activity that challenges you, and you are adventurous if you do not let the fear of the unknown prevent you from experiencing the elation of the attempt.

Brewerbob
10-16-2015, 16:56
To me, its what takes you out of your comfort zone and pushes you to new levels.That's a tough sell.

I'm an adventurer. I went three whole days without going to the mall. :-? Um, no!!

A first over-night backpacking trip might be an adventure for a forty-year-old.
Dear god, I hope not!!

The adventure starts when the plan ends.

So one who goes with it and either has it work, or makes it work.I like this dude/dudette.

has built a tree fort...as an adult

That ain't too shabby.

You may be an adventurer if:

you traveled Greyhound on an overnighter across the country beginning on a friday or sat night and used the coach's bathroom without wearing a HAZMAT suit

you have done at least one long hike without a Data Book or Guidebook

the mountains, distant horizons on the sea,dark caverns, foreign lands, and stars call to you,....and you feel in your being you must go themI'll do the last 2 blindfolded before I ever try the first.

No, that's an F-it Day. They can be done on random Tuesdays for no other reason than to celebrate Tuesday. I don't feel like going to work today. I use to have F-it Days. Now, I work at a place where even the "kids" (young 20 somethings) take themselves so damn serious. Surgical ward? Yeah, that would make sense but sadly no. These kids don't know how to "live". Now I don't have anyone to call and ask if they are feeling an F-it Day today. :(

Yeah yeah, you can make your own adventure too. But I just switched companies and don't have any PTO. And the gf has even fewer PTO days than I do. Grrrr.

I agree, Beatin' the bricks Tuesday mornin' lookin' for a new job sure can be an adventure!I'd rather trade the job for a small RV and a tank full of gas.

rocketsocks
10-16-2015, 20:36
That's a tough sell.

I'm an adventurer. I went three whole days without going to the mall. :-? Um, no!!

Dear god, I hope not!!

I like this dude/dudette.

That ain't too shabby.

I'll do the last 2 blindfolded before I ever try the first.

No, that's an F-it Day. They can be done on random Tuesdays for no other reason than to celebrate Tuesday. I don't feel like going to work today. I use to have F-it Days. Now, I work at a place where even the "kids" (young 20 somethings) take themselves so damn serious. Surgical ward? Yeah, that would make sense but sadly no. These kids don't know how to "live". Now I don't have anyone to call and ask if they are feeling an F-it Day today. :(

Yeah yeah, you can make your own adventure too. But I just switched companies and don't have any PTO. And the gf has even fewer PTO days than I do. Grrrr.

I'd rather trade the job for a small RV and a tank full of gas.Yeah, thad be good, then you could get the fug outta here.

Datto
10-17-2015, 22:33
I'd say ANY time spent with a lawyer is an adventure.

That cracked me up!

Datto

Datto
10-17-2015, 23:23
Look, your reason for being here is to be happy. Happiness arrives via these three things:

1) Have fun.
2) Live fully.
3) Peace.

Now it doesn't need to be a long-distance hike or a mountain climb or a desert cross to live fully. It just has to be something that pursues leading a full life. Living in a cubicle all day long is not leading a full life. Not at all.

For example, leading a full life might include obtaining a certiicate from Le Cordon Bleu because you're stuck in a cubilcle all day and you have an interest in the culinary arts. You attend Le Cordon Bleu so you can lead a life that is full and pursues something that is interesting to you specifically. That's the key -- leading a life that is led fully -- for you.

Most people can not describe what it is that they truly want. They can only describe what it is they don't want. That can't get you to leading a full life. You have to know what it is you truly want out of life fo you can focus effort and resources. To find that out -- what you truly want -- requires thought and planning. And risk. That's something most people can't do -- or undertake. So most people attend a cubicle and lead a life of quiet desperation in low risk situations. Until some bean counter in New York City declares you aren't on the critical path.

If you've ever seen the movie The Bucket List (Morgan Freeman, Jack Nicholson), that's what you should be looking for in order to start your journey. Create your own bucket list. Start right now. It's fun. Don't wait. Do this now. It's only the most important thing you will do with your life.

Include stuff that sounds interesting to you that would, probably, compose some type of adventure. Think broadly, think BIG.

Do you know Lou Holtz? You should look at his bucket list. Here's a guy who was at the time, unemployed with a pregnant wife -- decided at his dining room table to create a list of actvities he intended to accomplish with his life. His recipe to living life fully.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fred-whelan-and-gladys-stone/lou-holtzs-compelling-que_b_794675.html

From the position Lou Holtz was in when he created his personal bucket list to the point where he realized his bucket list -- that is an absolutely incredible story. It's simple (to conceptualize but not so easy to accomplish) -- you just have to think BIG! Don't settle for something miniscule. Anyone can do miniscule. Think of something exciting! Mind boggling! Beyond your wildest dreams! Do THAT! Geez, lead a full life for God's sake. Don't let the daily grind wear you down to the nubs. Get yourself in gear to do something with yourself -- you will be completely amazed at what transpires when you just decide! All kinds of things will show up to help you out in your quest. You will be truly amazed at what happens.

You should have seen Lou Holtz on The Tonight Show. One of the best guests Johnny every had on the side chair.

When you're on your death bed, you should be saying, "Wow, what a life I have led. I have been so lucky and fortunate."

And then the story begins from here.

Don't wait. Time goes by so quickly. Before you know it.

Begin now.

Get going!

It will be the best thing you have ever done for yourself. Easily.

Datto

Brewerbob
10-19-2015, 08:59
Yeah, thad be good, then you could get the fug outta here.

You hating on RVing? I'd use it to get from trail to trail and the dead of winter.

Heliotrope
10-19-2015, 09:53
Look, your reason for being here is to be happy. Happiness arrives via these three things:

1) Have fun.
2) Live fully.
3) Peace.

Now it doesn't need to be a long-distance hike or a mountain climb or a desert cross to live fully. It just has to be something that pursues leading a full life. Living in a cubicle all day long is not leading a full life. Not at all.

For example, leading a full life might include obtaining a certiicate from Le Cordon Bleu because you're stuck in a cubilcle all day and you have an interest in the culinary arts. You attend Le Cordon Bleu so you can lead a life that is full and pursues something that is interesting to you specifically. That's the key -- leading a life that is led fully -- for you.

Most people can not describe what it is that they truly want. They can only describe what it is they don't want. That can't get you to leading a full life. You have to know what it is you truly want out of life fo you can focus effort and resources. To find that out -- what you truly want -- requires thought and planning. And risk. That's something most people can't do -- or undertake. So most people attend a cubicle and lead a life of quiet desperation in low risk situations. Until some bean counter in New York City declares you aren't on the critical path.

If you've ever seen the movie The Bucket List (Morgan Freeman, Jack Nicholson), that's what you should be looking for in order to start your journey. Create your own bucket list. Start right now. It's fun. Don't wait. Do this now. It's only the most important thing you will do with your life.

Include stuff that sounds interesting to you that would, probably, compose some type of adventure. Think broadly, think BIG.

Do you know Lou Holtz? You should look at his bucket list. Here's a guy who was at the time, unemployed with a pregnant wife -- decided at his dining room table to create a list of actvities he intended to accomplish with his life. His recipe to living life fully.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fred-whelan-and-gladys-stone/lou-holtzs-compelling-que_b_794675.html

From the position Lou Holtz was in when he created his personal bucket list to the point where he realized his bucket list -- that is an absolutely incredible story. It's simple (to conceptualize but not so easy to accomplish) -- you just have to think BIG! Don't settle for something miniscule. Anyone can do miniscule. Think of something exciting! Mind boggling! Beyond your wildest dreams! Do THAT! Geez, lead a full life for God's sake. Don't let the daily grind wear you down to the nubs. Get yourself in gear to do something with yourself -- you will be completely amazed at what transpires when you just decide! All kinds of things will show up to help you out in your quest. You will be truly amazed at what happens.

You should have seen Lou Holtz on The Tonight Show. One of the best guests Johnny every had on the side chair.

When you're on your death bed, you should be saying, "Wow, what a life I have led. I have been so lucky and fortunate."

And then the story begins from here.

Don't wait. Time goes by so quickly. Before you know it.

Begin now.

Get going!

It will be the best thing you have ever done for yourself. Easily.

Datto

Inspiring post! Thank you for that.

redseal
10-22-2015, 17:10
This is an interesting topic to me. I actually wrote a little piece of what the word ultrarunner means to me. Notice that I say what it means to me. I think everyone is going to have their own opinion on what an adventurer, runner, backpacker is. That's fine with me.

In my example, I consider myself and runner, backpacker, engineer, etc. because those activities cause me to live my life in a certain way. I guess the bigger question for me on this topic, is what is considered an adventure :)

If you want to read my thoughts on the ultrarunner stuff, it is here: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/evolution-of-an-ultrarunner-i-am-an-ultrarunner/

rocketsocks
10-22-2015, 17:58
You hating on RVing? I'd use it to get from trail to trail and the dead of winter.Nah, I was just bein' a dick.

pauly_j
10-23-2015, 03:47
It's a psychological attribute, not something based on what you have done.

If you feel the constant need to push yourself physically and mentally, combined with a love of travel and the hatred of mundane routine, then in all likeliness you are an adventurer.

Brewerbob
10-23-2015, 08:51
Nah, I was just bein' a dick.

Fair enough. I haven't been around long enough to get a feel for anyone yet. I'm ex-Navy so standard issue smart ass here. I have some natural talent for being a smart ass too so it's a double whammy.

This working for a living thing isn't working so I'm more than ready to find out what an adventure and adventurer is. If/when I get to become a trail rat, I'll sned a post card and let you know what an adventurer is.

colorado_rob
10-23-2015, 12:56

1) Have fun.
2) Live fully.
3) Peace.

I might add "raise a family" as #1 on your list, moving the others down one notch, but I do agree on those others.

I do, however, disagree on the cubicle thing. I know many people, myself included, that spent 40 hours per week for 35 years in a cubicle and accomplished some pretty cool things, myself included, like being a key player in the launching a couple hundred vehicles with very important payloads, many of which have had a very positive impact on our planet. I won't bore anyone with any more details. But my point is that for some, maybe a lot of us, having a very productive and ultimately lucrative career has dramatically added to our own and our family's happiness. Because of this career success, I have in recent years embarked on many, many adventures, some of them fairly extreme, all of them a total blast. And even at age 59, I don't think I'm close to being done having these adventures. Off to the Sea of Cortez....

Brewerbob
10-23-2015, 13:26
I do, however, disagree on the cubicle thing. I know many people, myself included, that spent 40 hours per week for 35 years in a cubicle and accomplished some pretty cool things, myself included, like being a key player in the launching a couple hundred vehicles with very important payloads, many of which have had a very positive impact on our planet. I won't bore anyone with any more details. But my point is that for some, maybe a lot of us, having a very productive and ultimately lucrative career has dramatically added to our own and our family's happiness. Because of this career success, I have in recent years embarked on many, many adventures, some of them fairly extreme, all of them a total blast. And even at age 59, I don't think I'm close to being done having these adventures. Off to the Sea of Cortez....

I think idea of his point still stands even with you. Would you rather build a paper space shuttle or would you rather gas one up and take it for a flight? I work in the govie, DoD world in the worst possible field; QA. So if anyone ever hands me a screwdriver, I jump at the chance.

colorado_rob
10-23-2015, 14:13
I think idea of his point still stands even with you. Would you rather build a paper space shuttle or would you rather gas one up and take it for a flight? I work in the govie, DoD world in the worst possible field; QA. So if anyone ever hands me a screwdriver, I jump at the chance.I don't know, we all must use our best assets, do what we are best at, and in my case, that calls for being in a cubicle doing the analytics. I actually enjoyed it, though when Friday rolled around it was always up into the mountains!

RockDoc
10-23-2015, 15:08
I think of having an "adventure" as when things go wrong, like getting caught in a storm with inadequate gear and squeaking through with your life. Also see "epic".

rafe
10-23-2015, 15:21
I might add "raise a family" as #1 on your list, moving the others down one notch, but I do agree on those others.

Have fun in that Cat 5+ hurricane.

colorado_rob
10-23-2015, 16:15
Have fun in that Cat 5+ hurricane.About a thousand miles south of where we'll be. But thanks for your concern.

rafe
10-23-2015, 16:58
About a thousand miles south of where we'll be. But thanks for your concern.

I'm somewhat serious. My wife and her parents had to take refuge from hurricane Gilbert years ago while vacationing in Mexico. Worse, she and her parents were in separate locations and didn't see each other for several days.

This is supposedly the strongest hurricane ever recorded, so I wouldn't dismiss it 'till it's done and over.

Datto
10-24-2015, 16:28

1) Have fun.
2) Live fully.
3) Peace.

Now it doesn't need to be a long-distance hike or a mountain climb or a desert cross to live fully. It just has to be something that pursues leading a full life.

What I mean by living fully is activities through these eight categories below which are your Pie Of Life:

1) Financial
2 Family
3) Social
4) Spiritual
5 Career
6) Physical
7) Community
8) Other

Activities in those eight Pie Of LIfe elements are what leads to having a life that is led fully.

The real challenge, from my perspective, is to have all of the three components of Happiness come together simultaneously -- Have Fun, Live Fully, Peace.

Datto

4eyedbuzzard
10-24-2015, 18:45
... I work in the govie, DoD world in the worst possible field; QA. So if anyone ever hands me a screwdriver, I jump at the chance.
Maint. Supv. : We got a call, there's some sort of big problem out on 17.
Tech. : What's wrong?
Maint. Supv. : I'm not sure, they said Engineering adjusted something.
Technician: I thought we took their tools away [again] last month?

:p :D

Dogwood
10-24-2015, 21:55
Getting into a motor vehicle with my sister at the wheel is always an adventure.

Nonlinear Dynamics and Differential equations at NJIT was an adventure.

Being told to put my hands at my sides, head back, close my eyes, and touch my pointer finger to the tip of my nose was once an adventure.

Attempting to sleep in Springer Mt Shelter with five others farting, loudly snoring, occasionally picking/scratching at their arses, and smelling like wet dirty dogg was an adventure.

Datto
10-24-2015, 22:35
I do, however, disagree on the cubicle thing. I know many people, myself included, that spent 40 hours per week for 35 years in a cubicle and accomplished some pretty cool things, myself included, like being a key player in the launching a couple hundred vehicles with very important payloads, many of which have had a very positive impact on our planet.

My term "Living in a cubicle all day long" was meant as a euphemism for leading a life of quiet desperation a la Office Space, not so much as a literal for living in a office cubicle for most of life. I too have succeeded with a team of folks where we all worked in a cubicle environment within Fortune 1000 companies. I was one of the lucky ones to have had that happen. Most people don't have the luxury of luck like I have enjoyed. My observaton is most people in a cubicle environment are holding fast to their red stapler and they believe that is as good as life gets. They're feeling fortunate to not have been downsized out of their job this quarter -- Stack Ranking has them in the 50th percentile so they're probably good for staying employed next quarter too.

There is so much more to life than just holding tight to a red stapler, sitting in traffic going to a cubicle, sitting in traffic going home from a cubicle and eating the predictable same meal on the same night of the week. Then, for two weeks every year you get in the car and drive to your mother-in-law's house because you enjoy that so much.

Well, unless you're Ron White. Then going to the mother-in-law's house is a business expansion opportunity (commonly referred to as a new bit).

Datto

Datto
10-24-2015, 22:58
What I mean by living fully is activities through these eight categories below which are your Pie Of Life:

1) Financial
2 Family
3) Social
4) Spiritual
5 Career
6) Physical
7) Community
8) Other

Activities in those eight Pie Of LIfe elements are what leads to having a life that is led fully.

I've mentioned elsewhere these Pie Of Life slices aren't usually approached/experienced individually in a vacuum -- the slices are interconnected. For instance, a church may be where some experience Spiritualism as well as their Social life as well as how they become involved with their Community. Or, the interconnectivity of Career and Finacial aspects and how those relate (for better or worse) to your Family. The Pie Slice termed "Other" is something specific to an individual that's not necessarily common across all individuals -- for instance, the Other slice in my life is long-distance hiking.

Some people will believe spreading the jam across all of the eight Pies Of Life is the answer. Others may believe focusing effort and resources on say three Pie Slices is the way to go (for the moment). Five years from now may have presented different opportunities and events that have turned the original Pie Slice focus to a different bent.

The key thing is to not let time slip past (as it so easily can do) but instead think big, make a list, write it down, choose a course and get going. Incrementalsm -- the idea that small progress steps made consistently every day lead to great accomplishments in what you want to do with your life -- is so important. Pretty soon you look up to discover you've just entered the state of Maine.

Or, one could just hold on tighter to a red stapler and wish and wish -- to see what happens with that.

Datto

Traveler
10-25-2015, 15:36
Maint. Supv. : We got a call, there's some sort of big problem out on 17.
Tech. : What's wrong?
Maint. Supv. : I'm not sure, they said Engineering adjusted something.
Technician: I thought we took their tools away [again] last month?

HA!

Engineering: We are almost done here
Client: Just get it into the ground, we will make it work once you go.