PDA

View Full Version : New (kinda) Pasta Technique

Rocket Jones
10-15-2015, 07:12
There's an obvious, but not always intuitive, difference between dried pasta out of the box and cooked, dehydrated pasta. One needs to re-hydrate *and* cook vs the one already cooked that just needs to re-hydrate.

Over at Serious Eats (http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/best-baked-ziti-recipe-soak-pasta.html), there's an explanation of the science behind cooking pasta, and I think the technique described there is applicable to backpackers. It might not be new to everyone, but I'd never thought of it in quite the way they describe it.

Basically, you can soak raw pasta in lukewarm water for 30 minutes or so to re-hydrate (they used macaroni), and after that cooking the soaked but raw pasta only took a minute or two. Huge savings on fuel compared to cooking boxed pasta according to the package directions.

This opens up new options for resupply and meals on the trail. Buy a box of pasta and some fresh veggies and have at it. Maybe some Angel Hair with zucchini and yellow squash, dressed with olive oil and herbs that you probably already carry. Or add some dehydrated Ro-Tel and chopped summer sausage to soaked macaroni.

somers515
10-15-2015, 13:19
A new method for me to try! I've been struggling with how to cook a regular blue box of Kraft Mac & Cheese utilizing a method that doesn't leave my pot all gunked up. Reading this I think I'll try pre-soaking for 1/2 hour and then drain the water back in the pot, boil, and then hopefully cooking using FBC for the 1 minute. Thank you for posting.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/110916-Trying-to-cook-regular-Kraft-Mac-amp-Cheese-using-FBC-method-what-am-I-doing-wrong?highlight=

Whack-a-mole
10-15-2015, 19:27
Go to Lowes or HD, and buy a roll of silver lightweight insulation and cut it and foil tape it to make a little pouch with a close able lid, that will hold a quart freezer bag. The thing will weigh a whopping 2 oz. Boil your water and add it to the pasta in the freezer bag, drop the bag into the foil pouch, and give it 15 to 18 minutes. It will be cooked just fine. Add your other ingredients to the bag and enjoy. If you are cooking in pots and pans, there is a whole nother world out there for you. I go to the woods to enjoy my time, and washing pots and pans of cooked in pasta and cheese is not fun. I never have dishes to was when I'm on the trail.

Demeter
10-25-2015, 15:34
Go to Lowes or HD, and buy a roll of silver lightweight insulation and cut it and foil tape it to make a little pouch with a close able lid, that will hold a quart freezer bag.

+1 on the cozy. You could soak your pasta, just bring it to a boil, then place in the cozy. Saves a lot of fuel for me. I posted a step-by-step on my blog with video

http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/2015/05/diy-cozy-for-freezer-bag-cooking.html

4Bears
10-25-2015, 15:53
+1 one on making a cozy from reflectix and for FBC, life is more fun without having to do dishes. While the meal is hydrating and cooking my tea is steeping, all done at the same time.

JackThLion
10-28-2015, 16:15
While I am all for FBC, I've tried doing it with even angel hair pasta (the kind that SHOULD be the most doable this way) and had no luck. It's come out floury and gluey every time. It's not user error... I have a good reflectix cozy and have tried shorter and longer times in the FB. I'm kind of surprised so many people still keep pushing this for raw pasta.

Instant rice, ramen noodle, and potato meals? All great done FB-style.

I like the OP's idea. Might try it next time I'm out.

Venchka
10-28-2015, 17:11
Rice noodles. The cooking directions for some brands say: Add noodles to boiling water. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Eat. Sounds exactly like FBC to me. Read the labels. Purchase accordingly.

Straight from the internet:

Turn off heat and immerse rice noodles in hot water for 3-7 minutes until noodles are soft, cooked through but still firm and al dente, not mushy (check firmness frequently, as you would regular pasta). Rinse with cold water for 30 seconds and drain well.

Wayne

RangerZ
10-28-2015, 17:14
I made my cozy to fit the outside of my SnowPeak 700 pot for storage. I put the freezer bag in the cozy, add the hot water and let it sit. Any hot water in the pot gets a tea bag.