PDA

View Full Version : Peak Fall Color Along the AT in Central to Southern New England

Traveler
10-15-2015, 08:20
As a heads up...

Peak fall foliage can be difficult to predict, however, it looks like this weekend will be one of the best weekends of the fall hiking season over a very broad area of Central to Southern New England. Weather forecasts are showing a 40% or higher chance of rain Friday and Saturday north of Manchester NH, however south of the MA State line that percentage dwindles below 10% with scattered clouds.

The weather has been kind this year and has not stripped many leaves from trees with high winds and rain so far. If there is a weekend you are looking to get out with the best potential for seeing some spectacular color south of the Whites, this weekend is probably the one.

rafe
10-15-2015, 09:00
Colors were excellent last weekend, and yeah -- probably maxing out right about now -- on the Tully trail. That's right in the region you describe, with Mt. Monadnock ~20 miles northwest, Watatic and Wachusett ~30 miles east.

ATSouthernNewEngland
10-15-2015, 10:08
Colors are POPPING in Southern VT, The Berkshires (MA), and starting to pop in Salisbury, CT. I haven't been to Kent, but I'm sure they are great!

Slo-go'en
10-15-2015, 10:13
We're definitely past peak up here north of the Notches. The trees are starting to shed their leaves quickly now. It looks like the weatherman are backing off on the snow prediction for Friday, but it will be darn chilly.

donthaveoneyet
10-15-2015, 10:19
I was in Kent a few days ago, still a lot of green there. Shot of the trailhead at Hoyt Road below, and one from Cobble Mountain. Temps are forecast to drop into the low 30's this weekend in the area, so I think the change will be soon and fast. I dread to think what Kent will be like on Sat/Sun, it was mobbed this past weekend already....