PDA

View Full Version : Spring Mountain Shelter

Cove Rebel
12-03-2005, 21:40
I have not seen any of the other Shelters on the AT yet, but I like this one. I was there in mid-November but it had been so dry that the water source nearby was almost bare. The temps dropped big time into single digits so no mice were out (can you blame them?).

It was my first night ever.

Nean
12-04-2005, 09:55
Glad you enjoyed MY;) shelter! Its one of the oldest on the trail, built by the CCC in the 30s. Some think it needs to be replaced, Not me!! Love the old shelters. May go up today with a new register.

Cove Rebel
12-04-2005, 21:01
Yaeh I wish there had been a register there since it was my first trip, but I couldn't find one and didn't think it right to marr the shelter with my knife. :D

Morning Glory
03-21-2006, 19:44
Anyone have any idea if there is good tenting around this shelter. I hope to spend the night there this weekend and don't feel like sleeping in the shelter since it's supposed to be cold.

Tinker
03-21-2006, 23:22
Anyone have any idea if there is good tenting around this shelter. I hope to spend the night there this weekend and don't feel like sleeping in the shelter since it's supposed to be cold.

There are lots of good flat sites around the shelter. The top of the hill is flat and grassy.

Btw: This is a NEW shelter. The old one is no longer in use. I don't know if it's been dismantled or just abandoned. The new one is about 200yd. north of the plaque on the summit. Frosty and I spent March 7 evening here at the tentsites. There is a bear cable and privy here also.

Mountain Dog
04-26-2006, 18:17
The old one must still be standing, and I apparently missed the spur to the new one.:-? I was up there last week and the trail ran beside what I thought was Spring Mountain Shelter. It was the worst shelter I have seen. The floor had a board having fallen through. It was small and filthy. I opted to do 20 miles that day rather than stay near the shelter I crossed. I wish I had seen the new shelter. :mad:

bobgessner57
04-26-2006, 18:50
The Spring Mtn shelter 11 miles N of Hot Springs, NC is in good condition for its age, the CCC built it. It has character. Water was good Easter weekend. Nice wooded tent sites about 1 to 200 feet north of the shelter.

Hey Nean, thanks for keeping that section up. Trail and camping areas were in great shape.

Skyline
04-26-2006, 20:20
I think there may be some confusion here between Spring Mt. Shelter (north of Hot Springs) and SPRINGER Mt. Shelter (near Southern AT terminus).

Mountain Dog
04-26-2006, 23:25
The one I was discusted with was 11 miles north of Hot Springs. This shelter had raised boards to separate sleeping spaces. The boards were beginning to rot and one had fallen through at one end and was resting on the ground. This shelter was much worse than the old Roaring Fork shelter that is being replaced. In fact, I would rate it the worst of all shelters between Davenport and Sam's Gap. Of course, each has his own opinion. This is just the way I saw it.

joel137
04-27-2006, 00:11
The one I was discusted with was 11 miles north of Hot Springs. This shelter had raised boards to separate sleeping spaces. The boards were beginning to rot and one had fallen through at one end and was resting on the ground. This shelter was much worse than the old Roaring Fork shelter that is being replaced. In fact, I would rate it the worst of all shelters between Davenport and Sam's Gap. Of course, each has his own opinion. This is just the way I saw it.

My opinion as well, with Walnut Mountain coming in a close second.

bshow
02-08-2008, 17:07
I visited this shelter this morning and the spring is running fairly good.

Lots of blowdowns across the trail between the shelter and Deep Gap.

cascader
04-04-2008, 08:39
I was at Spring Mtn shelter (11 miles N of Hot Springs) on March 27. I agree with the posters who don't like it and think it's seen better days. When I was there, it was trashed as well--lots of empty bottles etc inside the shelter, plus a plastic bag of winter clothes. Looked like hunters had trashed it over the winter and maintainers hadn't gotten to it yet. there were four of us there and all of us camped, up on that nice hill, rather than stay in the shelter. But if it had been maintained recently, who knows. Way too much trash right now for any one hiker to pack out.

Kerosene
11-09-2009, 10:56
I passed through on 10/30/09 and things were neat. Yes it's an old shelter (1933 I believe), but outside of the floorboards it's in pretty good shape. Sorry, I didn't check out the spring. Thanks to Nean or whoever cleaned up the mess.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2009, 11:11
I don't recall a problem with the floorboards per se. What I remember about Spring Mountain (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=83590) was how short it was.

Kerosene
11-09-2009, 11:40
I don't recall a problem with the floorboards per se.I may be thinking about Walnut Mtn., also built in 1933.

DAKS
11-09-2009, 11:59
I may be thinking about Walnut Mtn., also built in 1933.

no, i believe there was a large hole in one of the floorboards when i was there in march of this year.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2009, 12:38
I may be thinking about Walnut Mtn., also built in 1933.

That's interesting - I get those 2 mixed up also. Always have to consult my journal or the Companion to remember which one is where.

I remember passing up Walnut to continue on to Roaring Fork (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84052), a much nicer shelter.