PDA

View Full Version : SOL bivy feedback

sethd513
10-15-2015, 16:36
Has anyone used any of the sol bivys as a bag or over a sleep system? Any product information on any of the three they offer in any weather conditions especially the breathable one would be great. They say that with a base layer and jacket on you can get these down to 30 degrees. My question is what happens if you can fit a sleeping bag or quilt inside rated for 20 or 10 degrees? Does it help? Do you need to fit your sleeping pad in to make any of these ideas work. I haven't seen anything about this as an option which makes me think it may not work.

It seems from what I've read you are better off with synthetic for the winter as much more condensation builds inside your sleeping arrangement. I have read about wrapping your down garment with a synthetic to handle the moisture better but will these bizy sacks work in place of a synthetic sleeping bag? Let alone last in a situation like this? Are there other options under a pound? Any info would be great. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredt4
10-15-2015, 23:03
Condensation! I carry an umbrella with my bivy to allow me to keep the bivy relativity open, which helps, but usually still results in some condensation. Between no bivy and bivy with condensation I'd choose bivy. If I'm expecting rain for the next week or so, I'd choose an umbrella and a tent. If I'm expecting clear weather with the possibility of rain I'd take a bivy and an umbrella. If I'm expecting clear weather with some rain I'd take a bivy an umbrella and a tarp. The only time I'd always carry a tent is during bug season. Without a tent the SOL or any other bivy can be a lifesaver or at least prevent a hike from being totally miserable camp during a constant rain. I've slept during an unexpected major downpour temperatures in the low 30's in a SOL like bivy and my feet were wet from condensation but I slept warm and Ok, except for the pitter patter of the raindrops. The new SOL bivy may breathe better, but I'd expect condensation either way.

MuddyWaters
10-16-2015, 08:44
There has been feedback posted before saying the sol "breatheable" bivy still has too much condensation in the AT humidity.

My cuben tarp weighs 7 oz. And has great coverage. Lighter than many bivys

The idea of having synthetic over down is to keep the temp in down above dewpoint to limit internal condensation. A bivy is going to be less breatheable, raising the moisture concentration, and not offer the insulation that the synthetic does.

sethd513
10-16-2015, 09:10
^^^ this is what I've concluded on my own. Both post are helpful. I'll have to look into other options. Thank you

sethd513
10-16-2015, 09:29
Would a 40 degree synthetic keep the internal down bag below the dew point?