PDA

View Full Version : Where out west are bear canisters required?

saltysack
10-15-2015, 22:15
I realize they are required in much of the sierras but where else? Trying to decided if I should sell/trade the like new Bearikade expedition I bought on Craigslist in Fl. A guy bought to use on the FT....no not kidding!!! The carbon still looks new!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
10-15-2015, 22:40
The Teton Crest Trail through Grand Teton NP. Not required, but nice to have in Yellowstone and the Wind River Range and probably the Bighorn Mountains.
I may have misspoke about the Tetons. For reasons known only to the Government, the Bearikades may not be allowed. You would have to talk to the Backcountry officials about it.
Seems to me, if I had one, I would use it anywhere I felt that I had a need for it. There are bears all over the place out West. But I'm a big chicken.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

imscotty
10-15-2015, 22:59
Here is an outdated map showing the areas it is required around the Sierras...

http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

On the PCT it is recommended that Bear Canisters be carried at least between Kennedy Meadows and Sonora Pass.

They are required in the 'Eastern High Peaks Wilderness' of the Adirondack Mountains (see here... http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7225.html) and on about 5 miles of the AT if you intend to spend the night (Jarrard Gap to Neel Gap).

I am sure there are some other places.

Vegan Packer
10-15-2015, 23:36
Personally, I'd keep it. It was required when I went to Washington state, and it was even recently added to the required list back east when I went to Pisgah, in western North Carolina. Who knows where the requirement will extend next? Considering that a new Bearikade is nearly $300, you will end out kicking yourself, should you have to purchase a new one, especially after the deal that you are getting on this one.

Dogwood
10-16-2015, 00:50
Off the top of my head, Grand Teton NP, Yosemite NP, Olympic NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Glacier Bay NP, Katmai NP, King Range Conservation Area, maroon bells/Snowmass area in CO

lonehiker
10-16-2015, 00:57
The Teton Crest Trail through Grand Teton NP. Not required, but nice to have in Yellowstone and the Wind River Range and probably the Bighorn Mountains.
I may have misspoke about the Tetons. For reasons known only to the Government, the Bearikades may not be allowed. You would have to talk to the Backcountry officials about it.
Seems to me, if I had one, I would use it anywhere I felt that I had a need for it. There are bears all over the place out West. But I'm a big chicken.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I saw more bears on the AT than I have seen out west and I have hiked extensively in the Big Horns and the Winds. Learn how to properly hang your food and you will not need a canister. That being said, I would keep for the occasional time where it is required.

jefals
10-16-2015, 01:48
I had one crammed in my 40L pack in the Desolation Wilderness in the Sierras, where it was highly recommended. It was no fun at all, and I swore off bear cans. But I'm new at the backpacking game, and after talking with a few of you guys, I realize I just didn't have the right pack for the job. Dealing with rock sacks and trees can be even more of a hassle -- especially in some places, where it's tough finding the right kind of tree. So, I think I'll just find the right pack and then I'll probably always carry the bear can.

wannahike
10-16-2015, 07:14
[QUOTE=saltysack;2011999] A guy bought to use on the FT....no not kidding!!! The carbon still looks new!!!]

Ocala National Forest regulations require the use of an approved bear proof container or hanging food 10' up and 4' out from tree. But I am pretty sure I'd be looking for the tree rather than carrying a bear can on the FT.

rafe
10-16-2015, 07:22
INYO wilderness, at least a good chunk of the JMT (around Mammoth Lakes.)

saltysack
10-16-2015, 08:56
[QUOTE=saltysack;2011999] A guy bought to use on the FT....no not kidding!!! The carbon still looks new!!!]

Ocala National Forest regulations require the use of an approved bear proof container or hanging food 10' up and 4' out from tree. But I am pretty sure I'd be looking for the tree rather than carrying a bear can on the FT.

Be damned if I'd carry can if didn't have to.....I usually hike with my dog and sleep with my food. Dogs seem to be a good bear deterrent... Black bears that is....

rafe
10-16-2015, 09:04
Salty, didn't you just do the JMT? Did you use a bear can or have they changed the rules?

saltysack
10-16-2015, 10:04
Salty, didn't you just do the JMT? Did you use a bear can or have they changed the rules?

Y i rented a Bearikade weekender after buying and returning a bv500.....it fit perfectly horizontal on top of my compactor bag in my circuit....