PDA

View Full Version : How do you plan a long distance hike?

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-16-2015, 14:33
Hey guys,

I feel like I am not getting anywhere with my planning. (I am also in 6 classes, 21 credits atm)

I am only doing a section hike, but it is the longest hike I have ever done. I am in the process of getting my gear straight, etc. (my picks in gear keep changing)

How do you guys start planning? What do you do first?

I do know my rough date of leave, turned in my good bye date at work, and have my guide.

Thanks,
Cara

rafe
10-16-2015, 14:52
Things I figure out in advance...

-- how many days and nights, roughly?
-- how many miles?
-- transportation to start/end trailheads
-- line up shuttle(s) as needed
-- likely resupply points (town stops)
-- given the season, which clothes & gear to bring
-- initial food to carry
-- mail drops (if any) -- where and what
-- maps/guides, other useful lists (perhaps as PDF)

4eyedbuzzard
10-16-2015, 14:53
Choose hike based upon locale desired, season/climate, etc. Gear appropriate for the hiking conditions (terrain and anticipated weather), ensure sufficient funds available, have maps, guides, and such, knowledge of where to resupply, transport to starting point, transport plan from end point. And a contingency plan (including potential bail-out points) if you have to abandon the hike due to illness, injury, family or personal reasons, etc. Research - because you have so much free time carrying 21 CR ;)

illabelle
10-16-2015, 15:09
Our longest section hikes are little more than a week long, but I think the same principles apply except that we have more certainty about start/end points.

You said you already know when you're going, next identify where you're going. How much time you have will determine how far. Look closely at the elevation profile or trail guide or map to see what the terrain is like, where the shelters are, etc, and likely daily destinations. Then more closely determine intended start/end points and how to get to/from the Trail.

Next up is to identify resupply points, if any, and begin thinking through your food choices. And get your clothes and gear together. If the combined weight looks worrisome, make adjustments.

Really, the planning and anticipation is half the fun. :)

bigcranky
10-16-2015, 21:37
How long is the hike? A two week hike requires more planning than a two month hike, because you have less flexibility on timing.

For a longer section hike, it's possible to choose a starting point, put 4 or 5 days of food in your pack, get to the trailhead, and start walking. Plan your first resupply location in advance (so you know how much food to bring), but then just be flexible and do your planning on the trail. Figure out how far you like to walk each day, how you feel, how far the next towns are, what the trail looks like, and figure it out on the go. When it gets close to the time you need to get off the trail, figure out how to get home. This sort of hike can feel remarkably free and low stress for most folks, once they get over the idea of adhering to a specific daily mileage plan.

Our Long Trail hike last summer required more advance planning, since getting home from the northern terminus appeared difficult and we had a specific day we had to be back at work. But once we got on the trail we were able to just let go of the schedule and walk, and it was great. Realizing that you don't know what day of the week it is turns out to be a glorious feeling. :)

Good luck.

MuddyWaters
10-16-2015, 22:36
You know, it depends on the hike.
AT is easy generally, lot of defined options
Other trails, just figuring out transportation and resupply can be hardest part

Figure out where you going and when
Get permits if required
Figure out transportation and shuttles and lodging and reserve
Figure out #days, roughly
Figure out resupply strategy
Settle on gear list for expected conditions
Send out maildrops when needed in advance, get someone to do i neccesary
Watch weather/fires/ special circumstances
Leave plan with someone responsible, including authorities to contact
Go

Dogwood
10-16-2015, 22:58
Drink more coffee.

I remember those university days having to get special permission by the Deans to take those mega semester class loads. Two of mine were 29 and 31 credit semesters, when the normal full load was 16 credits/semester, while interning at a Botanical Garden and co-Captaining the university Tennis Team riding a bicycle as my main source of transportation and holding down a 30 hr/wk avg job. Loved it. Actually, THRIVED ON IT. How are you doing in your classes? How's LIFE beyond the academics?

fiddlehead
10-17-2015, 00:17
For my first thru, I planned a lot.
Probably too much.
For my 2nd, I just sent a 3 day's food to Neels Gap, 2 days in my pack and got a ride to Springer from Atlanta airport.
(did a few mail drops but, they can be done later)

Point is: Your ideas are going to change.
So, don't over think it.
Best to have some body back home that knows where your extra gear is so they can send it to you as you call for it.
(or more likely for newbies, is: You'll be sending stuff back to them)

2 days food, 3 more sent to Mtn Crossings and you can do a bounce box out of Franklin when you get there (90 miles in)

You'll know a whole lot more what you want when you get to Franklin, NC.

have fun.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-17-2015, 12:58
Hey guys,

my my section hike is taking me from Damascus to pawlings ny. Ill be going to trail days (one or two nights. Not sure.) and my parents are driving to drop me off/stay at a local hotel. (Or as close as we can get)

as as far as time, I calculated that I have 90 or so days to finish before the next semester. If I did 12 a day, that leaves me with time for zeros.

( my god, I'm not the only idiot killing herself in college! I am working about 25-30hr weeks, and doing about a thousand hours of homework. Not to mention baby sitting tarantulas, a dog over top my own two dogs. My life outside college is great! I have my days set that I always get sun-Monday off so I plan trips around those days. Camping, bush gardens, I took a weekend off to travel to nyc for a friends bday. Next semester is going to be easy/difficult since I am interning somewhere and aiming to do 4-5 classes over top work.)

back to to the trip: I don't think I am going to do a mail drop system. I can get free food right now, dehydrate it, box it into meals, and have them sent...but I honestly don't know how my tastes will change. I may just list a hand fill of places for friends to send drop boxes at certain times for gift food care packages.

mattjv89
10-17-2015, 15:12
Hey guys,

my my section hike is taking me from Damascus to pawlings ny. Ill be going to trail days (one or two nights. Not sure.) and my parents are driving to drop me off/stay at a local hotel. (Or as close as we can get)

as as far as time, I calculated that I have 90 or so days to finish before the next semester. If I did 12 a day, that leaves me with time for zeros.

back to to the trip: I don't think I am going to do a mail drop system. I can get free food right now, dehydrate it, box it into meals, and have them sent...but I honestly don't know how my tastes will change. I may just list a hand fill of places for friends to send drop boxes at certain times for gift food care packages.

If you don't have a special reason for Pawling NY being your predetermined end point, planning would be a lot easier just walking as far as you can/want to in the time allotted. Anywhere in the mid-Atlantic to southern New England you're close to a lot of population and mass transit, so you could just pick a logical end point when you have a week or two left of hiking time. Just something to consider, I've met a few folks who do really well sticking to a set itinerary on a long hike but for most it seems to all go out the window pretty fast.

I would agree with not doing any mail drops if you don't have any significant dietary restrictions. I would, however, suggest making friends with folks who do them because there is often a lot of free food available when somebody missed the mark on planning and sent themselves too much.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-17-2015, 15:28
Mooch off people: gotcha. ��

As as far as pawlings...my best friend lives in nyc. Pawlings is where I can take train, or have her pick me up.

bigcranky
10-17-2015, 17:58
When you get close to NYC, you'll be really close for someone with a car to come get you for a two or three week stretch. What takes us days to walk takes someone in a car a few extra minutes... :)

Any particular reason you want to start from Damascus at Trail Days? The trail northbound out of town the week after TD is really, really crowded.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2015, 20:21
Leaving after Trail days will put you in a big thru hiker bubble, but maybe not for long as most of them race past you. Don't fret too much over this since they have already hiked nearly 500 miles and your just getting started. It will take a while before you can keep up.

Since you already know when and where to start, it's pretty much just a matter of selecting gear. The day to day stuff is figured out on the fly. That's the beauty of the AT, you don't have to think too much about it. All you need to know is where the next place to buy food is and how long it will take you to get there.

Selecting gear on the other hand is where you need to put some thought. Since you won't be out in any significantly cold weather, you can get away with a fairly minimal amount of stuff. But exactly what that selection is will be highly influenced by how much you can afford to spend and that is something you have to figure out on your own.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-20-2015, 15:01
I do have a base gear limit. (Top Three, Pack, Sleep, and Shoes) I have my pack in mind, my shoes in question, and my sleep in mind.

As far as why Damascus...Grey son highlands. I want to see the wild pony's. While I would like to go to trail days for the environment (hiker wize), I may not depending on when school ends. (New thought process)

I am a little nervous about being left behind. I tend to be a competitive person and for some reason hike better, longer, faster, pushing myself when I am in a group.

Wooobie
10-20-2015, 19:24
I dont, i just shove a bunch of **** in a bag and start walking. figure it out as i go.

Dogwood
10-20-2015, 20:12
I like your itinerary. Although A BIG YES to the crowds heading NOBO out of Damascus. BE CAREFUL with this FCCP: "I am a little nervous about being left behind. I tend to be a competitive person and for some reason hike better, longer, faster, pushing myself when I am in a group. The bubble leaving Damascus will likely be stronger and in thru-hiker mode already and you will not be! For the most part they WILL NOT be doing 12 dailies. Pushing yourself too early too hard beyond your trail readiness dooms many a LD AT hiker! If you are that competitive you may want to find others going NOBO that match your pace. YOU WILL BE LEFT BEHIND TO SOME DEGREE!!! Get over it. You DO NOT need to make your hike into a race UNLESS you are ready for that at the get go. MOST ARE NOT READY TO HIT THE GAS FULL THROTTLE AT THE GET GO>>>DESPITE WHAT THEY MAY MISTAKENLY ASSUME OTHERWISE.

You will be hiking the last of May through July. Prepare yourself mentally and physically for heat and HUMIDITY!

Buy a AT Thru-Hiker Book. Resupply info is included. Using the buy as you go approach sounds like it will work for you with the possibility of also having some resupply mailed to you if you desire.

Slo-go'en
10-20-2015, 20:41
I am a little nervous about being left behind. I tend to be a competitive person and for some reason hike better, longer, faster, pushing myself when I am in a group.

Well then, you better do a LOT of hiking before hand. Southern VA is surprisingly difficult for someone just starting out. Trying to go too far, too fast, too soon is a good way to injure yourself with things like tendon and shin splint problems, even for relatively young people. However, there are a number of post trail days party spots north of Damascus and if you get sucked into that vortex going too far, too fast, too soon won't be a problem - but you will have a good time :)