PDA

View Full Version : Older female hiker planning on a thru hike

SueJhiker
10-17-2015, 18:05
Most people I see that hike the trail are younger and fit. I am in relatively good shape for my age (54) but am a bit apprehensive about parts of the trail. Because of work, I will not be ready to thru hike for another couple years. For those that have actually experienced the AT, can you give me some advice? Are there alternative trails around some of the most difficult sections? And what exactly is a vertical climb on the AT? I have climbed up steep trails around here by pulling myself up by roots of trees, so is there alot of that? Also I will be doing a few shorter section hikes to prepare. Anyone with advice on that?

Slo-go'en
10-17-2015, 20:44
There's some pretty steep climbs in NH and Maine which often involve using your hands to hold onto roots and rocks. In a few places there are "bad weather" by-passes if the official route is exposed and could be dangerous in heavy rain, ice or snow. Except in NH and Maine where your expected to be able to handle anything.

As for your age, not a problem so long as your reasonably fit and don't have any serious health issues. Quite a few woman of your age thru hike. Check out the trail journals (at www.trailjournals.com) and look for Airlock, Little Mermaid and Bonbon to name a few.

Venchka
10-17-2015, 20:52
I'm older than dirt. My general rule: The older I get, the lighter I have to make my pack. Sensible light.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

kdot
10-17-2015, 21:42
You're 54? Please don't call yourself "older". You're just hitting your stride. I know this because I am 53 (as of today :) and I am ready to go-go-go!

bigcranky
10-17-2015, 21:55
We're about your age, and it can be done. Yes, there are some strenuous parts, but just take it easy. There can be some steep climbs up north but they tend to be short.

For the sections, do you mean you want to hike AT sections? I'd go south, somewhere in Southwest Virginia, or Georgia/NC. That'll give you a good intro to the trail without being too difficult. Hiking in PA is tough but in a different way.

daddytwosticks
10-18-2015, 06:42
Agree with everything. 54 is not old. Start out slow and low. Listen to your body. Take rest days often. When I retire at 60 and start doing longer distance hikes, this is my game plan. :)

rafe
10-18-2015, 07:07
54 is not old. Many folks far older than that have completed thru hikes.

Alternative trails... yes and no. No easy way to generalize on that score. In some places there are clear and obvious alternatives, in other places, not so much.

There are some very steep climbs here and there, particularly in New Hampshire and Maine. The mid-Atlantic portion of the trail, from (approx.) northern Virginia to southern New England, is the easier part of the trail.

My advice would be to sample the AT nearest to home and work your way up to the harder stuff. From PA you're in a great position to explore the trail. The trail in PA is generally considered easy, except for the rocks. There is one very steep section just north of Lehigh Gap (Palmerton) but it's a notorious outlier in that regard. Looks scary but really isn't that difficult.

sfdoc
10-18-2015, 09:16
At the ALDHA gathering, I met a woman, 74 years young, who just completed an AT thru-hike the old fashioned way, using a tent or shelters, cooking food, etc. Go For It!

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2015, 09:51
You should start a weight training regimen; not in lieu of hiking other trails, but as an additional preparation tool. It's a myth that hiking is the best way to prepare for hiking, but that's not to say you shouldn't do it, just that you need to do other things, especially for us older folk. Another myth is if you have an activity, such as hiking that provides much use of your legs than working out with weights is useless or redundant. Totally false. Activities such as hiking is very repetitious activity, meaning that certain muscles/connective tissues are getting a lot of work, but others not so much. Weightlifting will fill in the gaps.

This is a pretty good article on why runners should lift; however, you could just replace the word for runner with hiker and it's just as applicable, actually more so, since up in the area you want to prepare for also incorporates upper body requirements, i.e. rock scrambling. http://www.nwrunner.com/why-runners-should-life-3-myths-that-need-busting/

One of the biggest advantages to lifting is injury prevention. It will not only give you the strength to do the lifting of the body, it will strengthen you bones and connective tissue.

Also, you can only spend so much time hiking, whereas you lifting can be done virtually anytime, including while watching television. To lift you don't need weights, at least in the beginning. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2015/01/23/weight-training-older-adults.aspx

If all you do is cardio (including walking, AKA, hiking), you will still lose muscle every year as you age, not to mention weakening of connective tissues and bones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoq5c4mPL8

SueJhiker
10-18-2015, 10:39
Very good advice! After I did a pretty vertical section of a trail around here by using my hands to pull my body up the trail, I could really feel it the next day. It felt good, but I could see where upper body strength will definately help and give me more confidence.

Heliotrope
10-18-2015, 10:50
You should start a weight training regimen; not in lieu of hiking other trails, but as an additional preparation tool. It's a myth that hiking is the best way to prepare for hiking, but that's not to say you shouldn't do it, just that you need to do other things, especially for us older folk. Another myth is if you have an activity, such as hiking that provides much use of your legs than working out with weights is useless or redundant. Totally false. Activities such as hiking is very repetitious activity, meaning that certain muscles/connective tissues are getting a lot of work, but others not so much. Weightlifting will fill in the gaps.

This is a pretty good article on why runners should lift; however, you could just replace the word for runner with hiker and it's just as applicable, actually more so, since up in the area you want to prepare for also incorporates upper body requirements, i.e. rock scrambling. http://www.nwrunner.com/why-runners-should-life-3-myths-that-need-busting/

One of the biggest advantages to lifting is injury prevention. It will not only give you the strength to do the lifting of the body, it will strengthen you bones and connective tissue.

Also, you can only spend so much time hiking, whereas you lifting can be done virtually anytime, including while watching television. To lift you don't need weights, at least in the beginning. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2015/01/23/weight-training-older-adults.aspx

If all you do is cardio (including walking, AKA, hiking), you will still lose muscle every year as you age, not to mention weakening of connective tissues and bones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoq5c4mPL8

Agree wholeheartedly. I find my climbing and descending power much improved as I have buffed up with weights. I am turning 51 and I am far from old. Waiting a few more more years for my daughter to hit her teens then I will begin my long distance hiking career.

As far as women thru hiking: I have met numerous female thru hikers on the AT in Maine who were ten or more years older than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyFishNut
10-18-2015, 11:40
You should be training - training - training! Find an outdoor "boot camp" style group and get in shape. There is absolutely NO excuse for people to not be in shape, unless they have some disability.

Lunges (initially unweighted, working up to dumbells or weight vest), run, pushups, step ups, --- the list is endless. Check out Meetup to find a group and get moving.

53 is not old. Check out the results of some half or full marathons and see how fast these 50 yr olds are.

Get your butt up and get in shape - you will be happier, fit, sleep better and enjoy hiking so much more when you are in good shape.

Water Rat
10-18-2015, 12:18
Ah, you are a spring chicken and you are off to a great start! :) :welcome to White Blaze!!!

In addition to the training mentioned above, it might help to check out some very informative blogs by women who have either done the AT, or participate in long distance hiking in general. There is a little something to be gleaned in both of the blogs I will mention - Always some new tip/trick that can make life easier, or answer a question you might have.

http://ladyonarock.com/ - This is a link to Rockin's blog. While she has not done the AT, she is around your age and probably can offer some amazing tips (for backpacking in general) from when she started to where she is now.

http://www.walkingwithwired.com/p/home-page.html - This is a link to Wired's blog. She has done the AT, PCT, CDT, and other trails. Though younger, she has awesome tips and insight to share with all age groups. Her blog is also a daily account of her life on the trail. Wired loves to talk about hiking and generate interest in the trail, and comes across as someone who is stoked about other women hikers hitting the trail.

I think both women would be more than happy to answer your questions! My personal advice... Start with lower mileage and then increase with your comfort level. Make plans that work for you, not according to what works for others. Don't psych yourself out - Take it one step at a time. Any part of the trail can be intimidating if we let it be... Sometimes a section of trail is more intimidating when you look at it as a whole and is not nearly as bad when we break it down day by day. Most of all - YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)

Get out there and have an amazing hike!

paule
10-18-2015, 13:37
I met a gentleman in Connecticut this summer,he was 75 and told me this was his third thru hike.It was about 11 am and he said he just came from the last shelter and that was about 8 miles away.I asked his pack weight and he told me around 40 to 45 pounds.He left Georgia on feb.28th and this was the second week in july.

Venchka
10-18-2015, 14:36
While you're resting between all of these workouts [emoji3], get your gear sorted out and do some real world testing. Then start removing things that you don't use from your pack. Repeat until you have only what you need.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Feral Bill
10-18-2015, 22:50
Re: training

If fitness "workouts" appall you, there are other options. The best training is the training you will actually do, regularly, and preferably one you will enjoy. Build it into your day. I have an uphill bike ride home from work that keeps me as fit as I was at 40. When the snows come, I'll walk home and cross country ski on weekends. Colin Fletcher was an avid tennis player. Other activities like gardening or painting you house also work. Find what works for you and have a nice walk.

Jake2c
10-19-2015, 01:39
You are not old. I am 60 and will thru hike next year. I will turn 61 on the trail. I have done a number of shorter hikes on the AT and a 5 day and 7 day hike. I don't work out particularly hard and am in so-so shape. Last hike was with two guys, one 30 years younger and one about 15 years younger. I worried that I would hold them up but in the end I didn't. I intend to start slow at about the 8 mile a day pace for a while and then work up. What I noticed with the younger guys is they heal and get stronger faster. Make sure your footwear works for you and your pack is comfortable. Both of these can make very long days if not right.

wormer
10-19-2015, 08:19
I second kdot. The body in most cases will do what the mind tells it.

SueJhiker
10-19-2015, 11:36
Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I do get out and hike as much as possible everyday and up some pretty steep sections I might add. I just wasn't sure when AT hikers say a 'vertical climb' that they meant rappelling. I don't think I am ready for that yet! LOL.

CarlZ993
10-19-2015, 15:21
Get (or stay) in shape, do a lot of hiking/backpacking before hand, & carry a light backpack (don't forget hiking poles). Just try to make it to the next town for resupply, town food, & getting clean. Then, aim for the next town. Keep repeating that & you'll eventually be a thru-hiker.

That being said, NH & ME are tough. No way to sugar-coat it. But, you keep plugging & you finish. Good luck on your hike!!

Snowleopard
10-19-2015, 17:42
Pedaling Fool has advice I wish I had known 30 years ago. Exercise to prevent injury!

As a woman, you also need to do what you can to prevent or postpone osteoporesis. Talk to your doctor about this and read up on it. I have a friend who is 73 who has osteopenia and has broken several bones (hand, wrist, ankles). She still hikes and can go a good distance, but needs to be careful about falling. It might be worthwhile to get a bone density study. Hiking and weight exercises are good for preventing this.

Snowleopard
10-19-2015, 17:45
Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I do get out and hike as much as possible everyday and up some pretty steep sections I might add. I just wasn't sure when AT hikers say a 'vertical climb' that they meant rappelling. I don't think I am ready for that yet! LOL.
Vertical climb on the AT does not involve rappelling. On the steepest sections you just need to go slowly and carefully (or fast and carefully). The rocks in PA are probably one of the more hazardous parts of the trail. You can break and ankle as easily on rocks on level ground as on steeper terrain.

dudeijuststarted
10-19-2015, 17:56
Seriously don't even worry about it. Give yourself plenty of time and don't worry about racing. If you have known medical issues, have a plan to manage them. Otherwise it's just one step at a time. Tortoise and the Hare...

SueJhiker
10-19-2015, 20:49
I know there will be difficult parts. My hiking friend gets me through some tough sections by saying take it an inch at a time. And don't look down! That is another obstacle is fear of heights. I have not problem going up, it is going down that bothers me. But I can. And I will do this.

SueJhiker
10-19-2015, 20:51
This is my philosophy exactly. I want to enjoy the experience.

10-20-2015, 18:30
My wife, 62 attempted a thru hike, stress fractures on leg going down clingmans dome in the ice, put her off trail for 6 weeks, then a simple fall broke her wrist very badly and that finished her hike. So what I know is you need to get a bone density test to make sure your bones are OK to hike. Many women loose bone mass after 50. As far a training, put on a 40 lb pack and walk for 8 hours a day every chance you get, like every weekend if you are working, cardio on a stationary bike during the week. When you hit the trail with a ~~30lb pack you will do fine. You will already know what it is to hike 8 hours in the cold, wet, rain wind. ONLY now you will get to sleep outside in a tent or shelter.

gypsy97
10-20-2015, 21:34
I would say from my experience in 1997, set a reasonable pace and miles per day and then stick to it. I got so disheartened from hiking a few days with others I got to know (mostly younger), and when they pulled out ahead of me I tried to hike more miles to keep up. I would eventually have to Just let them go, but then it would happen again with the next group I hiked with. If I could only do it over again, I would limit myself to 12-14 miles per day, tops. This is just from my experience and you may be in better shape than I was to go the distance. I have about 1000 miles of the AT under my belt and don't expect to do any more. Good luck to you. You are definitely not old, but a good age to enjoy and appreciate the experience.

daddytwosticks
10-21-2015, 07:20
Why do you have to do a thru? What's wrong with long section hikes? Take breaks between each section. The trail will always be there.

When I retire in three years, this is my game plan. I probably don't have the mental fortitude to do an actual continuous thru hike. But I sure as heck want to do section hikes all up and down the trail at my leisure. I'll pick and choose what time of year and where I'll go. This will be my adventure after a lifetime of work. Now I just have to keep healthy. Enjoy your experiences on the trail. :)

Venchka
10-21-2015, 08:33
"Start slow and taper off." Seen on a runner's t-shirt many moons ago. It works. After a few weeks your "Slow" will be faster than when you started. You will be stronger and hopefully injury free.
Stay dry. Stay warm. Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne

Water Rat
10-21-2015, 11:11
I know there will be difficult parts. My hiking friend gets me through some tough sections by saying take it an inch at a time. And don't look down! That is another obstacle is fear of heights. I have not problem going up, it is going down that bothers me. But I can. And I will do this.

That's the spirit! :) It is an amazing trail - When you feel yourself starting to be bothered, just look around at the beauty around you. That will (hopefully) help! One step at a time!

SueJhiker
10-22-2015, 22:03
omg you guys are awesome with your words of encouragement!

SueJhiker
10-22-2015, 22:09
Vertical climb on the AT does not involve rappelling. On the steepest sections you just need to go slowly and carefully (or fast and carefully). The rocks in PA are probably one of the more hazardous parts of the trail. You can break and ankle as easily on rocks on level ground as on steeper terrain.
Thank you for this information. I walked some of the AT in Vermont near Killington pretty much straight up a mountain. And that was something I could handle.

colorado_rob
10-23-2015, 13:02
Just making one more point, coming from a recent AT hike completer, who started his hike at age 57... There seems to be two dominant age categories along the trail, the 20-somethings (and some younger) being the most numerous, but us 50-somethings (and older) have some pretty big numbers out there. So you will find lots and lots of folks our age to hang with. Just a very wild guess, but probably 60% of the AT hikers (long distance hikers, that is) are less than 30, probably 25-30% over 50 and the rest (10-15%?) in their 30's and 40's, definitely this last category being the smallest. Just my own observation, not actually looking at any stats.

Shutterbug
10-23-2015, 14:13
Most people I see that hike the trail are younger and fit. I am in relatively good shape for my age (54) but am a bit apprehensive about parts of the trail. Because of work, I will not be ready to thru hike for another couple years. For those that have actually experienced the AT, can you give me some advice? Are there alternative trails around some of the most difficult sections? And what exactly is a vertical climb on the AT? I have climbed up steep trails around here by pulling myself up by roots of trees, so is there alot of that? Also I will be doing a few shorter section hikes to prepare. Anyone with advice on that?

54 isn't old. My wife was 62 before she discovered that she likes to hike. Since then, she has hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon 28 times. She is doing it again next month at age 72.

The issues we face as "older" hikers are:
1. Body weight -- the less you weigh, the easier it is to hike.
2. Knees -- keep your knees in good condition by walking a lot (minimum of 5 miles a day)
3. Balance -- exercise daily and use hiking poles
4. Pack Weight -- light weight gear is more expensive, but keeping your pack weight down is worth the extra cost.

SueJhiker
10-23-2015, 19:50
54 isn't old. My wife was 62 before she discovered that she likes to hike. Since then, she has hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon 28 times. She is doing it again next month at age 72.

The issues we face as "older" hikers are:
1. Body weight -- the less you weigh, the easier it is to hike.
2. Knees -- keep your knees in good condition by walking a lot (minimum of 5 miles a day)
3. Balance -- exercise daily and use hiking poles
4. Pack Weight -- light weight gear is more expensive, but keeping your pack weight down is worth the extra cost.
Sometimes I have difficulty with balance. I was wondering if maybe yoga would help with that?

SueJhiker
10-23-2015, 19:54
Just making one more point, coming from a recent AT hike completer, who started his hike at age 57... There seems to be two dominant age categories along the trail, the 20-somethings (and some younger) being the most numerous, but us 50-somethings (and older) have some pretty big numbers out there. So you will find lots and lots of folks our age to hang with. Just a very wild guess, but probably 60% of the AT hikers (long distance hikers, that is) are less than 30, probably 25-30% over 50 and the rest (10-15%?) in their 30's and 40's, definitely this last category being the smallest. Just my own observation, not actually looking at any stats.
That makes sense. The youngest group are fresh out of college or high school and not established in a job and the older people are finishing with their careers and have the time and money.

Water Rat
10-23-2015, 20:31
I don't know if you follow Trail Journals... There was a female hiker (Penguin) who completed the trail in September. From reading her journal, I think think she had a wonderful time out there. Oh, and she is 60yrs young! :) http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=467330

LAZ
10-24-2015, 01:32
A few years ago I went looking for answers to why I was having a lot of foot pain. I didn't get an answer to that, but along the way I was diagnosed with a balance problem and prescribed a good amount of physical therapy. I was told that most insurance will cover this because remediating balance problems is a good way to save a lot of money in the long run.
anyway the o exercises They had me doing basically came down to those that would develop better core strength and a tedious number of ankle exercises using therabands. your balance issues might be different and it's worth getting a good evaluation done. I ended up with about half an hour a days worth of exercises that really were effective. Nice to think about right now because I let it lapse in a I have to start doing them again.

yoga would probably help with the course strength issues. for me, the best thing was adult beginner ballet classes which can do amazing things for both balance and actual foot strength and flexibility.

dink
10-24-2015, 15:20
You are still very much a youngster...I am 60 and hiked a while with a 70 YO gent this summer. I was just doing a 5 day 63 mile hike and he was doing a thru, had made it to PA already. Just enjoy the trail and take your own sweet time...your body will tell you how to move, listen to it!! I will be going for my thru (flip flop style) in a few years, just might see you on the trail.

4eyedbuzzard
10-24-2015, 18:56
Sometimes I have difficulty with balance. I was wondering if maybe yoga would help with that?Yes. Anything that increases your range of motion, flexibility, strength, etc. will have a positive impact on balance. You lose your balance when you can't keep your weight over your center of gravity. The weaker and less flexible you are, the sooner this happens given any particular set of motions. I'd add that hiking poles can be an good balance aid as well. That said, there are a few places where due to the nature of the trail you have to stow them to be able to use your hands.

LAZ
10-24-2015, 20:43
Yes. Anything that increases your range of motion, flexibility, strength, etc. will have a positive impact on balance. You lose your balance when you can't keep your weight over your center of gravity. The weaker and less flexible you are, the sooner this happens given any particular set of motions. I'd add that hiking poles can be an good balance aid as well. That said, there are a few places where due to the nature of the trail you have to stow them to be able to use your hands.
Hmmm .... flexibility can be a mixed bag. I say that as someone who is hyper flexible. Its more important to balance strength and flexibility, and it is a balancing act. Pun intended. When I increased flexibility faster than strength, I started having more balance problems and more injuries for hiking, strength is more critical than flexibility when it comes to balance, as I understand it. Any pt's reading this who can confirm or negate this?
Flexibility helps when it comes to peeing and pooping in the wild. And it is useful when climbing, where the more flexibility you have, the more choices for foot and hand holds.
I really recommend an evaluation of the balance problem.
And bringing self awareness into any practice you undertake. By that, I mean, don't just take yoga classes and do what you are told. Pay attention to your own goals. If a class seems to be more focused on flexibility than strength and /or balance, back off on pushing flexibility until your strength catches up. Or add weight training to the mix, with emphasis on leg strength.

Fredt4
10-24-2015, 21:14
Super excellent advice about the training, but seems your real deficiency is in knowledge about hiking. My experience is that just about anyone can thru-hike if they're willing. I would suggest a few off trail hikes (with an experienced hiker) will give you the confidence to undertake the trail. The training will help you physically but off trail (especially if you get yourself lost a time or two) will help you mentally.

Shutterbug
10-24-2015, 22:18
Sometimes I have difficulty with balance. I was wondering if maybe yoga would help with that?

My wife does pilates rather than yoga, but she says that yoga does really help with balance. Personally, I left weights to strengthen the core.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2015, 08:14
...Flexibility helps when it comes to peeing and pooping in the wild....Note to self...if there is such a thing as reincarnation and there is one life lesson to remember when choosing your next path, just remember this: Never come back as a female....It's great to be a guy:)

BonBon
10-26-2015, 05:03
I started the trail at age 51 and 50 pounds overweight. What can I say, I own an ice cream shop. I did a lot of day hikes for a year before my thru, but in Florida, so no hills. I got winded walking up the jetway from the plane that dropped my out of shape ass off in Atlanta. I turned 52 on the trail, started slow, was brutalized by the terrain in Georgia, got stronger, ate anything I wanted, hiked it thru, and lost 43 pounds. At the beginning nobody thought I would make it out of Georgia. Only you get to decide if you finish. And nobody can tell by looking at someone if they will or won't finish. 54 is NOT old. There were plenty of older and stronger hikers out there. My advice would be to get the lightest gear you can afford, don't listen to negative people, and just go for it. Enjoy each day of the incredible FREEDOM backpacking gives you and whether you hike 6 months or 6 days, it is your experience to keep forever. As far as the really technical parts- you can do them all. Someone said to us just before Mahoosuc- ( to one of the hikers who had a fear of heights) "Decide. Are you going to be scared or are you going to have fun? Because you have to go through it so decide now." So we all chose fun. And it was fun! Just be careful and thoughtful about what you are doing- you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water Rat
10-26-2015, 09:50
I started the trail at age 51 and 50 pounds overweight. What can I say, I own an ice cream shop. I did a lot of day hikes for a year before my thru, but in Florida, so no hills. I got winded walking up the jetway from the plane that dropped my out of shape ass off in Atlanta. I turned 52 on the trail, started slow, was brutalized by the terrain in Georgia, got stronger, ate anything I wanted, hiked it thru, and lost 43 pounds. At the beginning nobody thought I would make it out of Georgia. Only you get to decide if you finish. And nobody can tell by looking at someone if they will or won't finish. 54 is NOT old. There were plenty of older and stronger hikers out there. My advice would be to get the lightest gear you can afford, don't listen to negative people, and just go for it. Enjoy each day of the incredible FREEDOM backpacking gives you and whether you hike 6 months or 6 days, it is your experience to keep forever. As far as the really technical parts- you can do them all. Someone said to us just before Mahoosuc- ( to one of the hikers who had a fear of heights) "Decide. Are you going to be scared or are you going to have fun? Because you have to go through it so decide now." So we all chose fun. And it was fun! Just be careful and thoughtful about what you are doing- you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very wise words from someone who just got through hiking the trail. :)

BonBon did it her way (I really enjoyed following your journal, BonBon! Thank you!) and she appeared to be having an amazing time doing it. Ya just gotta be open to accepting what the trail has to offer cuz even the hard parts have amazing beauty to them! One step at a time and you shall get there.

Back on the trail
10-26-2015, 11:02
I met a gentleman in Connecticut this summer,he was 75 and told me this was his third thru hike.It was about 11 am and he said he just came from the last shelter and that was about 8 miles away.I asked his pack weight and he told me around 40 to 45 pounds.He left Georgia on feb.28th and this was the second week in july.

Sounds like you ran into "PA" as in Gandpa. I crossed paths with him at Gren Anderson shelter in NJ. He said he was doing one more thru hike before he got old and couldn't do it again. On my week out I passed a women easily in her 70's - section hiker - she told me she hikes every year the month of May. Both of these elder hikers had the same great attitude I wish I had the time for. The both told me the same thing. "Look I'm out here enjoying myself: I go as far as I want- when I see a great view I stop and look as long as I wish, when I decided to go I go if I stay I stay. I'm in no hurry so when I get there I get there." Oh to be retired - or have no cares.

Shutterbug
10-26-2015, 15:57
...Oh to be retired - or have no cares.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you want to have "no cares" when you retire, take care of your health and save lots of money. Those are the two main "cares" when you reach my age -- health and outliving your resources.

4eyedbuzzard
10-26-2015, 17:33
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you want to have "no cares" when you retire, take care of your health and save lots of money. Those are the two main "cares" when you reach my age -- health and outliving your resources.

A lot of wisdom in the above. Most of us will retire on an income well below what we were earning during our working years. And while our expenses go down due to (hopefully) not supporting adult children, work/commute expenses, downsized homes, etc., our healthcare expenses generally go up, and inflation eats away at the rest. But we really have to continue to "care" a lot about planning and budgeting.

egilbe
10-26-2015, 17:50
"Start slow and taper off." Seen on a runner's t-shirt many moons ago. It works. After a few weeks your "Slow" will be faster than when you started. You will be stronger and hopefully injury free.
Stay dry. Stay warm. Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne

Lol, an older hiker told my gf and me that at the trailhead to mt Coe, North and South Brother in BSP this Summer. We follow his advice still :-)

kf1wv
11-25-2015, 22:09
This girl NOBO'd in 2013 at the age of 60. That may be my physical age, but it's my 12-year-old "joie de vivre" that rules my every day. Never grow up.

Grampie
11-26-2015, 10:45
When I thru-hiked in 01 i was surprised at the many older woman I met on the trail. some were married and some were single. They all had a sprite on adventure.

SueJhiker
04-17-2016, 18:36
That's me! I will be out there soon. Just gathering up gear now.

Ohio Chris
04-17-2016, 19:29
Good luck on your journey.....

Hikingjim
04-17-2016, 20:04
since the majority of the more technical hiking is in the north, you have lots of time to get into things!
Nothing too crazy there either... just slow going and a lot of rock.

You could try the northern section of the long trail as training for that. north of camel's hump

Or section/day hikes in the whites.