PDA

View Full Version : how old is too old for colman fuel (white gas)?

DavidNH
10-17-2015, 19:28
I have some (32 oz plus?) coleman fuel that I am storing to be used for my MSR whisperlite stove. It's been sitting unused for 5-8 years. Is it still good and usable? Is there ever a point where fuel gets so old that it isn't so usable should i do a backpack trip next summer? What to do with it if the fuel gets too old? and how old is too old when it comes to fuel?

DavidNH

4eyedbuzzard
10-17-2015, 19:41
It's probably just fine as unlike motor fuels there aren't any additives. Personally I've used some from a gallon metal container that was first opened over 10 years ago (sealed between camping seasons) and it worked just fine in a mantle lantern. Here's a discussion on the subject - https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/coleman-fuel-shelf-life.88518/

rocketsocks
10-17-2015, 20:39
It's probably just fine as unlike motor fuels there aren't any additives. Personally I've used some from a gallon metal container that was first opened over 10 years ago (sealed between camping seasons) and it worked just fine in a mantle lantern. Here's a discussion on the subject - https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/coleman-fuel-shelf-life.88518/
Same here, had one container that was prolly 15 years, worked just fine.

donthaveoneyet
10-17-2015, 21:05
I don't know if it can even go bad. I have a gallon can I bought at a yard sale (fellow had died, and his family was selling off his stuff, I got some amazing deals...), I swear it's at least 30 years old. I had to use a pair of channel locks to get the lid off. Filled a fuel bottle and hooked it up to an old Whisperlite, and it worked fine. I've used it car camping with a two-burner Coleman and it's been fine. I have another gallon that I've had for over 20 years, and it's fine, too.

Lyle
10-18-2015, 03:17
I would try some at home, see how it burns. My major worry would be contamination, either water or other. If it hasn't gotten contaminated and burns ok, then go ahead and use it.

sethd513
10-18-2015, 06:32
How long can the fuel stay in your stoves fuel container bottle? Does it make a difference to the seals on the stove storage since it doesn't seem to on the storage seals directly from the company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
10-18-2015, 06:55
How long can the fuel stay in your stoves fuel container bottle? Does it make a difference to the seals on the stove storage since it doesn't seem to on the storage seals directly from the company?

I have a 26 year old Whisperlite and a 12 year old Simmerlite. Both have been stored in the basement, attached to their own fuel bottles. A couple of days ago I checked on both stoves -- both of them primed and started up without problems.

(Occasion for this test -- our kitchen stove died last week and we're stove-less until tomorrow afternoon, when the plumber is scheduled to hook up its replacement.)

Kaptainkriz
10-18-2015, 08:10
Coleman fuel in a sealed container will last almost indefinitely. I've got a peak-1 stove that fired right up after 20 years of storage. On the other hand, i also have a peak-1 lantern that does not make a good seal...the fuel in that would not light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
10-18-2015, 08:39
It doesn't go bad. I believe its a straight run distillation product unlike most auto gas which is cracked out of a lower grade base stock. Coleman fuel basically stays as coleman fuel as it evaporates. I expect the seals will go long before the fuel breaks down.

kayak karl
10-18-2015, 09:10
the container can go bad and particles of it and the seal can contaminate it. if you think it has particles in it, filter it.

4eyedbuzzard
10-18-2015, 09:18
the container can go bad and particles of it and the seal can contaminate it. if you think it has particles in it, filter it.Yeah, good point with metal containers. As the fuel is removed from the can, air (with water vapor) replaces it. Then the moisture in the air will condense on the inside of the can eventually causing corrosion/rust, which then can flake off into the fuel especially when unscrewing the top. Usually it just settles to the bottom, but old fuel should be checked.

Tipi Walter
10-18-2015, 09:42
the container can go bad and particles of it and the seal can contaminate it. if you think it has particles in it, filter it.

I use MSR fuel bottles for all my trips (and the white gas Simmerlite stove) and occasionally replace these caps---

http://images.airsed.com/images/500x500/www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/items/main/90210.jpg
Here's your typical MSR fuel bottle cap (don't like the "child-proof caps"!!!)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TOEgKPfKL._SX425_.jpg
This is what fails---the MSR O-ring on the cap. It readily cracks and disintegrates after a few years and so new ones should be used every couple years.

Cadenza
10-18-2015, 20:37
I bought several metal one gallon cans of Coleman fuel 30 years ago to stash for emergency.
I'm still using it without any problems.

TJ aka Teej
10-18-2015, 21:40
I'm in a few Coleman collector groups, general consensus always is old fuel is fine fuel.

PAFranklin
10-19-2015, 12:26
Just make sure you filter when you use it. Otherwise it's fine. I have some that is 45 years old and still burns fine.

bikebum1975
10-19-2015, 22:02
Well then guess I don't have to worry bout my 5 year old can then. I'd be more worried about it fouling the stove with old dirty fuel but if used regular should be fine.