PDA

View Full Version : Winter weather in the Whites thsi weekend

peakbagger
10-18-2015, 13:20
The weather in the whites has changed rapidly this week. There was snow on the summits yesterday (Sun 10/18)and when I got up today at my house just north of Madison there was snow on the ground and the temp was 26 degrees. The conditions on the Mt Washington Summit is windy and was around 5 degrees this morning with a wind chill in the minus 25 range. It will warm up later in the week. Definitely the potential for winter conditions from now until spring. Time to pack the ultralight summer gear away and get the serious gear out for anyone attempting day hikes in the whites and overnighters would need significant winter gear as most of the high huts are closed. Probably time to throw the microspikes in the pack.

By the way Killington Ski Area in the Greens and the Sunday River Ski area south of the Mahoosucs open this weekend.

Now its the wait until we can get the snowshoes out. It was a great summer and early fall for hiking but I am ready for winter.

Another Kevin
10-18-2015, 16:15
This.

This morning we got a few snow squalls as far south as the Mohawk Valley in New York, at an elevation of about 400 feet. If we're getting snow squalls down here, the ADK's and Catskills are likely to be ugly.

It looks as if I may be laid up from hiking most of the winter. Better than in fine weather, I suppose. I bailed out of an outing this weekend, but if I hadn't, my spikes would defintely have come along.

Slo-go'en
10-18-2015, 22:36
Yup, my yard looked a lot different this morning then it did yesterday. Judging by the number of cars at Lowe's and the Appalachia parking lots, a pretty good sized crowd got their first taste of winter on Adams and Madison this weekend. Meet a couple coming down on the Air Line who said it was crazy up there and many were turning around. 3" of snow, white out conditions with strong winds. They were just going to walk by until I asked them "how much farther to the summit?", while wearing blue jeans, no pack and only a half mile in from the road at 3 PM. They were relieved when I told them I was actually just out for a short walk and lopping over to Cold Brook falls.

lemon b
10-19-2015, 04:08
16 degrees this morning in Becket, Ma. None of yesterdays flurries stuck. Fine hiking weather during the day.

illabelle
10-19-2015, 04:54
I don't envy any of you. Light patchy frost around here. 36° and we've got a fire going. :)

jdx1177
10-19-2015, 05:54
Ya, a good dusting on the Hancocks on Saturday, really cold and slick coming off south peak, kinda wish I had my spikes for about the first half of the descent. Snowed on and off most of the hike that day.

LoneStranger
10-19-2015, 07:17
24°f this morning here in coastal ME but that is just a bit of fall chill, not winter weather. Loading up the scoot for a 4 hour ride downeast and a hike to a spot on the Bay of Fundy. While I'll admit I'm putting on my TNF insulated pants for the ride I only packed the 40°f quilt for tonight. Let's not rush this winter thing just yet. Plenty of fall hiking left (but pack your spikes just in case)!

T.S.Kobzol
10-19-2015, 07:37
Used microspikes to descend the slide on Owls' head yesterday. Snow on the summit. Also Kanc had snow and ice when I was crossing it to get to the trailhead.

peakbagger
10-19-2015, 09:01
THe suns out and the summits are bright white today and 20F this AM.

I agree this is just an early reminder of winter, plenty of good fall hiking left.

LoneStranger
10-19-2015, 09:05
I stand corrected; maybe it is winter. The scoot says it is too cold to turn over this morning. Guess I should have checked that before loading all my gear and dressing for Nanisivik.

MamaBear
10-19-2015, 14:44
Gorgeous day today in the Whites! Spikes went in the pack and I wore the winter boots, too. Glad I did, the trip up Mt. Willey from the Ethan Pond side was icy/dusting of snow, especially near the ladders and snowy the rest of the way.

Now its the wait until we can get the snowshoes out.

Yep, almost time to move them into the car, where they will reside until May. Yay for winter!