PDA

View Full Version : Question re: short air pads

Midwest Mike
10-18-2015, 22:08
Hello. First-time poster. My REI Stratus pad died, and I need a new pad. I'm intrigued by people saying that they like their 48-inch or 53-inch pads, and that they don't miss the extra comfort vs. say, a 72-inch one (since I'm 72 inches). If I got a short XLite it would shave off a full pound from my pack vs. the Stratus. I'm wondering if people would share their experiences and especially if any older people (it's all relative, but I'm 50) regretted buying a short pad.

Thanks.

mattjv89
10-18-2015, 22:32
I started backpacking with a 3/4 length Therm a Rest and wasn't really bothered by my legs being on the ground. After switching to a full length NeoAir I wouldn't want to give it up. I sleep comfortably all the time and don't mind the extra weight a bit. On my thru I found myself tenting at hostels pretty frequently because I really didn't care about paying double the price for a bed when my pad felt plenty comfortable. I like the length as well as the fact that the shoulder width increases to 25" on the long pad, as someone who tends to toss and turn a good bit. A regular or long XLite would still shave off 3/4 or half a pound of your pack respectively, then again they would also shave a bit more off your wallet if that's a factor. I suppose it's one of those things that you really won't know until you've tried it both ways.

Fredt4
10-18-2015, 22:34
I use my pack as a pillow and generally sleep on my side so I don't need the extra length.

Wil
10-18-2015, 22:34
I'm wondering if people would share their experiences and especially if any older people (it's all relative, but I'm 50) regretted buying a short pad.People vary. I and most people I hike with don't transfer much temperature through the legs. As long as my upper body is insulated and cushioned I'm usually warm and comfortable; I do wear socks sometimes. I like to sleep in relatively clean cotton shorts and Tshirt so I fold up my day clothes and socks neatly and place them beyond the sleeping pad. Also empty stuff sacks and any extra clothing. I was in my 50s last century and I will say I have noticed slightly more heat loss in my lower body in recent years, but very slight.

Feral Bill
10-18-2015, 22:36
I almost always use a short pad. A fleece, pack , or other insulation goes under the lower legs, plus a pillow (stuff sack with spare clothes) under the head to provide the needed warmth. Only the torso pad is needed for comfort. In really cold weather, an added closed cell foam pad (long but thin and light) completes the system.

nsherry61
10-18-2015, 22:50
I like both. The difference between short and long xlite pads is only about 5 oz, so, not a big weight penalty. Short is lighter and less carry volume when I'm being minimalist. Long is a bit more comfortable when I don't mind a slight bit more weight and volume. Many people complain about leg discomfort dropping off the short edge. It's there. It's real. Sometimes I care. Sometimes I don't.

Heliotrope
10-18-2015, 22:53
I typically use a short foam pad and put my empty pack under my lower legs. But the xlite short sucks a** because it is pretty narrow. What should be at the foot end of this hobbit sized pad ends up being at my hips. I am 72" tall. I sent the xlite back for a 66" sea to summit pad which is perfect for me. However I would go with the full 72" on the insulated version. Also, with a foam pad i never use it under my head but the thickness of the xlite makes it hard to find enough clothing laying around to make a good pillow- so less pad under the hips. Bite the bullet and get the system that gives You a good nights sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
10-19-2015, 00:20
well I'm the first to say that a full length pad is way way more comfortable than a short pad. but just the same I use my torso length xlite most of the time. I can tolerate it fine and it saves weight

Dogwood
10-19-2015, 02:16
As a tall guy himself(6'4") and being a side sleeper that stretches out(I don't sleep in a tight fetal position) I find that I have to account for the high drop off/thickness(2.5") of the NeoAir XLite Shortie inflatable pad as it catches me in a spot on my side that I can find uncomfortable. I too put my empty backpack or assorted left over gear under the end of the short pad. My issue is that as a UL/minimalist hiker I rarely have that much left over "stuff" to make up anything near that 2.5" drop off. Like you, I too like the wt savings of the Shortie but it can change sleep comfort in this regard which is why when I use my Neo Air Shortie I only partially inflate it so it's less than 2.5" thick yet still provides that cushy comfort from uneven ground. I also don't place my head on the pad but above it on my shoes, extra shirt, food stuff sack etc as a pillow that effectively extends the length of the pad and can eliminate that uncomfortableness that occurs when my side hits that 2.5" drop off in the wrong spot. I employ the Shortie with some of my most minimalist most fair weather fastest and lightest treks.

A secondary issue that can occur is the sudden lack of insulation from the ground, when it's cold, with the Shortie length. Even with "stuff" under my legs I usually can't account for a sudden drop off in R-value from 3.2. I have to account for that, which at times, is more important than at other times. One way I do that is when anticipating cold conditions or a minimalist sleep system I opt for the WOMEN'S Neo Air Xlite at 66" long with a 3.9 R-value.

If you go from a REG REI Stratus(20 oz) to the Women's Neo Air(12 oz) you still save 8 oz but up the R Value from 2.9 to 3.9. Factoring in the design differences you may find you sleep warmer on the Women's Neo Air X Lite than the REG REI Stratus while dropping a half a pound.

Ercoupe
10-19-2015, 05:55
The specs show a 4 oz difference in the short to regular X-lite. I would bite the bullet and carry the 4 ozs.

Best sleep is on my large neo-air(25 puffs). Big enough to stay on with arms.

Most convenient and useful for me is a Klymit torso(3 puffs) under a Z-lite sol. I use the Z-lite sol thru-out the day, tent roll up, camp stool, nap pad, pack explosions. No weight saving at 20 ozs. for the pair, but so useful. I have used the Z-lite by itself, but if you can't find fluff it can be pretty unconfortable.

rafe
10-19-2015, 06:45
I use a short pad and put my empty pack under my feet.

bigcranky
10-19-2015, 07:02
The thicker the pad, the more annoyed I am with a short version. Having my legs and feet hang off the end is not fun. I traded my Prolite 4 short pad for a full length Neoair last year, and got more comfort and less weight.

Starchild
10-19-2015, 09:07
I had both, earlier this year I sold by short pad. I still had a use for it, and would still use it, but not for a thru hike.

I would use the short for a overnight UL backpack, where I could deal with some less comfort during sleep. On a multi night trip such as a thru, I found that I get a better quality of sleep with the full size pad. If I had to buy one, no question it would be full sized.

hikernutcasey
10-19-2015, 12:17
I have the short xlite pad and while a longer and wider pad would probably allow for a little better nights sleep, it's not like they are leaps and bounds more comfortable. The short pad serves me fine as I am a side sleeper and just sleep with my feet on my pack and clothes I'm not wearing to bed. For what little you lose in comfort, the trade off in an 8oz pad is worth it to me.

4eyedbuzzard
10-19-2015, 13:28
I definitely don't like the drop off using a short pad. For reference, I'm 6'0", 185 lbs. and a side sleeper which has its own unique issues with sleeping pad thickness and level support. Not having my lower legs and feet supported at the same level and firmness is very noticeable and uncomfortable for me even using my pack and contents at the foot end. Modern gear is so lightweight, that the 4 to 5 added ounces for a full length pad is well worth the added comfort, IMO.

Dogwood
10-19-2015, 15:51
Keep in my when it comes to kit wt savings it is not always just about the wt of your inflatable or closed cell pad in the sleep equation. It is the wt of your entre sleep system.

Since dropping wt of an inflatable pad was specifically mentioned, I find that even though I take the 4 oz wt hit on the longer 66" WOMENS NeoAir XLite at 12 oz compared to the 8 oz NeoAir XLite Shortie at 8 oz I can regain all, or at least most of that 4 oz wt savings, by opting for a slightly less wt/less warm high end down/synthetic sleeping bag or quilt with the Women's slightly higher R value and added length.

Saving wt on the ENTIRE sleep system can be approached NOT just from a pad perspective. Examining everything together in function and wt rather than individually has opened up many new wt saving gear combinations for me.

MuddyWaters
10-19-2015, 18:00
My reg xlite is 12.6 oz.
My short is 7.6.

For a 5 oz diff.
Not that it really matters.

Deadeye
10-19-2015, 19:28
I find that the biggest difference is age. When I was young, I slept very comfortably on a simple, short (36") pad. Now I'm pushing 60 and much prefer my hammock, but when on the ground I use a thicker, longer (54" IIRC) Big Agnes inflatable. Whatever your preference, a good night's sleep is worth whatever it takes to be comfortable.

Midwest Mike
10-20-2015, 11:26
Thank you everybody. This is really helpful. I think I've been talked out of a short pad. I am quite convinced of the need for a good night's sleep. Now, if only I could convince my 13-year-old...

OwenM
10-21-2015, 23:06
Part of me wants to go back to a Klymit X-Lite for summer, X-Lite or Prolite small/Thermarest ZLite small for cool weather, since it gives a CCF for backup and mats that I perceive as being more durable than my full size inflatables, but going to Big Agnes and then Exped full length pads has pretty much ruined me. Hard to give up an almost 3" inflatable, and especially the 5.9 r-value of a Downmat, when the temps get low.

Connie
10-29-2015, 00:21
I started with 3/4 ensolite CCF pad, next a ProLite, and, now, I have a XS NeoAir.

Actually, I prefer to have my lower legs on my boots and backpack.

Doughnut
10-29-2015, 07:08
Tenting, the short pad is fine, in a shelter or hard floor, I prefer the full length, I tend to re-position a lot and my heels hitting the floor of a shelter or a rock interferes with sleeping.

MuddyWaters
10-29-2015, 09:06
Tenting, the short pad is fine, in a shelter or hard floor, I prefer the full length, I tend to re-position a lot and my heels hitting the floor of a shelter or a rock interferes with sleeping.

It's amazing how hard the ground is and how much it interrupt your sleep when your feet are on it just having a thin foam pad under them helps tremendously

Sedimentary
11-02-2015, 18:26
I've always used short pads, but stopped when I got to the NeoAir. Not because of the length, or even the drop (I prefer using it half-inflated), but the width. For some reason with the short pads they start the taper right away, rather than after the hips, and since the NeoAir kinda collapses on the edges, it's just not wide enough, even for a skinny woman like me. It baffles me a little -- I don't know if the pad makers are designing these short pads for children, for UL backpackers, or trying to have something that works for both, but I wish they'd stop with the early taper.

LuckyMan
11-03-2015, 09:53
I'm 6'2" and happy with my neoair xlite short, sleep on my side with knees bent, pack under feet.

Casey & Gina
11-05-2015, 16:29
We tried an XLite shorts, hated and returned them. That drop-off is a killer and the only way I could get to sleep was to put my pack under my legs, which meant I was stuck on my back the whole night. I prefer to switch between back- and side-lying periodically so it was a few rather unpleasant nights.

However short versions of the ProLite, ProLite Plus, and RidgeRest are all agreeable for summer use, since they don't have noticeable drop-off. There is also an extra short version of the ProLite, only 36" long. Probably good enough if you use something else like a pillow or spare clothes under your head, or if you have a really short torso.

The Solemates
11-05-2015, 17:23
long length for me. I'm 6'4". if i were to put my "left over" gear under my legs, I would have no pillow. I like my Xtherm full length.

poolskaterx
11-19-2015, 00:09
I have used a short pad for a little wieght savings for the past 5 years. This year I purchased a xtherm fulllength pad that is lighter and I am SO, SO much more comfortable.

squeezebox
11-19-2015, 01:27
Thanks for your opinions. I just wish they would make a 66"x25" version.

colorado_rob
11-19-2015, 10:30
Just one more "old man" vote... For 3-season use, a short pad works just fine for me, I just don't need the padding under my lower legs.

squeezebox
11-19-2015, 10:46
If I can handle putting my pillow above my pad instead of on top of it, that would bring the short to mid calf on me. With rain gear etc, under my feet it might work. I also need to find out if I can sleep comfortably on 20" wide, instead of 25. A fair bit of money to spend and find out it doesn't work.
Has anyone else tried this?

colorado_rob
11-19-2015, 13:28
If I can handle putting my pillow above my pad instead of on top of it, that would bring the short to mid calf on me. With rain gear etc, under my feet it might work. I also need to find out if I can sleep comfortably on 20" wide, instead of 25. A fair bit of money to spend and find out it doesn't work.
Has anyone else tried this?I sleep on a 20" wide mattress, plenty wide for me, and I even roll side-to-side all night. And my pillow is off the mattress, just as you say. I do have to use everything soft I'm carrying to "make" a pillow thick enough to support my head high enough to be comfortable though.

squeezebox
11-19-2015, 20:06
Do you think it's worth the trouble?

Casey & Gina
11-19-2015, 23:44
20" mats are alright but a 25" pad is definitely more comfortable/luxurious. Just comes down like so many other things whether that comfort is worth the extra weight. A short and thin mat is a heck of a lot better than the ground, but a long wide mat leaves nothing to be desired, except less pack weight/bulk.

cmoulder
11-20-2015, 09:36
I'm in the "camp" that uses a short pad with pack under the legs. However, I did not like the Neoair xlite because of its width and taper, so I found the only short/wide option out there (unless you want to cut/seal a longer air mat), which is the Neoair Trekker, which is 47" x 25" and weighs 13oz. No more dangling elbows or having the air mat "squirt" out from under me in the middle of the night. Very happy to take that 5 oz penalty.