PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness

FFTorched
12-04-2005, 13:02
What type of time frame would it take to hike the hundred mile wilderness, from start to Katidin? I would like to plan this for the end of summer in august with a friend or two and am trying to figure this all out. Please offer any advice and time frames to expect. I know you can't tell how fast I'm going to hike but I want a rough average based on terrain, weather, and other technical expectations.

A-Train
12-04-2005, 13:19
IŽd give yourselves 10 days if you can afford it. I did it in 6.5, but had 2000 miles of conditioning, basically doing the wilderness in 5, hurd to birches as a 6th, and climbing katahdin the next early morning. You probably want 7-8 days from Monson to Abol, and then an extra 2 days at the end. First off the scenary is great, especially from Whitecap to Abol, where there are tons of great places to camp (Antlers, Rainbow ledges, Nahamankanta, crawford pond, etc) and youŽll wanna take your time. Also you may wanna budget an extra day in for Katahdin, should the weather be too crappy to go up. You can always hitch into Millinocket and then go back to the park the next day to climb. I know most thrus dont have the patience to wait, but you should absolutely wait for good weather if you can afford the time. The views are spectacular and should be enjoyed during a nice sunny day, which shouldnt be too hard to come by in August. You may also wanna take a zero or half day at White house landing, the hostel in the middle of the woods. Ive never been there, but generally hear good things, despite it being pricy. This may be a good place to pick up more food and break up your resupply load. Good luck!

TJ aka Teej
12-04-2005, 14:56
The 100 Mile Wilderness is the stretch from Monson to Abol Bridge. Reasonably fit backpackers starting early on day one should plan for seven days of hiking. Add a day off at Whitehouse Landing - NO MAILDROPS ANYMORE - and add another possible day for bad weather/great weather delays. Hiking into Baxter from Monson qualifys you as a "Long Distance Hiker" so you can stay at the Birches, but only if you're one of the first to sign up for one of the 12 spots. Don't plan on hiking into the Park and climbing Katahdin on the same day. It can be done, but heading up the next morning before first light is the way to go.

kyerger
12-04-2005, 15:42
Thanks for asking this question. I am planning on starting a flip-flop starting in SNP,June 1 so thats puts me in Maine around your time frame. Hope you have a great hike as well. hope to meet you on the trail.I just wish i could start in April with the pack. But at least im going hiking.

Cookerhiker
12-04-2005, 15:45
I did it for the first time this year in 7 days/6 nights under nearly perfect weather. I agree with A-Trail's advice. Allow yourself time to dwell and enjoy the lakes and some of the high points, especially Whitecap and Nesuntabunt. White House Landing is a good place for a nero day.

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2005, 16:12
I agree with A-Train.

It usually takes me six to seven days.

But if I were going to do it again, I'd give it AT LEAST seven to eight, and preferably one or two more.

I'd say around nine days is about right.

Shutterbug
12-04-2005, 18:08
I agree with those who suggest 7 or 8 days. The trade off is hiking longer days or carrying more food.

If you can spare the time, add a day to visit Gulf Hagas, known as the Grand Canyon of Maine. It is a 5 1/2 mile loop trail through some of the most beautiful scenery in Maine.

My photos from the 100 Mile wilderness are online:

http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html

They were taken in September, southbound.

Peaks
12-04-2005, 18:33
One thing to add. I think that the sign at the trailhead outside of Monson advises hikers to carry 10 days of food with them.

Obviously, the replies here are from thru-hikers who are in condition by the time they get to Monson. So, they do this stretch in less than 10 days, usually about 7 or so.

But, good advise from A-Train and Jack about allowing time for different things.

walkin' wally
12-04-2005, 20:00
The sign at the trailhead at Rt 15 north of Monson has been stolen or taken down for repair. It has been missing for several months now. It said (basically) to not underestimate the diffuculty of this section and to bring enough food for 10 days.
The above posters have good advice for this section. Enjoy your hike. :sun

saimyoji
12-04-2005, 20:14
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=932

Try any one of these.

Cookerhiker
12-04-2005, 21:03
The sign at the trailhead at Rt 15 north of Monson has been stolen or taken down for repair. It has been missing for several months now. It said (basically) to not underestimate the diffuculty of this section and to bring enough food for 10 days.
The above posters have good advice for this section. Enjoy your hike. :sun

So that's why I couldn't find the sign when I entered on Sept. 7

Moxie00
12-04-2005, 21:22
Most hikers starting at Springer average about eight miles a day. If you are starting cold at Monson, without any trail miles, I would give it 10 days, Hikers in trail condition make it easy in 6 to seven and some ultralite speed hikers have made it in less than four, BUT, the first 40 miles are tough, up down, up down, and if you are out of condition with a full pack you should take your time. The 100 mile is also one of the most beautiful areas in the whole 2000 plus miles. It will not be fun to kill yourself, go at a comfortable speed and enjoy your hike. I hike on a regular schedule and I plan on ten days just to enjoy the 100 miles when I do it again this summer. If you enjoy fishing and can bring a pack rod take 12 days. The trout fishing in the 100 mile wilderness is simply the best in the State and the fish are native, wild and not from a hatchery.:welcome to Maine, you'll love the place

A-Train
12-04-2005, 21:27
One other piece of advice IŽd give is to budget more time from Long Pond Lean-to (I think this is what its called, 15 miles north of Monson) until you drop down to the river crossing near Gulf Hagas. The stretch over Barren-Chairback range, even in good hiking shape was a butt kicker and took way longer than I thought. With bad weather this section could be a real pain. Just keep that in mind. Once you get over Whitecap the terrain is very agreeable

weary
12-04-2005, 22:42
Most hikers starting at Springer average about eight miles a day. If you are starting cold at Monson, without any trail miles, I would give it 10 days, Hikers in trail condition make it easy in 6 to seven and some ultralite speed hikers have made it in less than four, BUT, the first 40 miles are tough, up down, up down, and if you are out of condition with a full pack you should take your time. The 100 mile is also one of the most beautiful areas in the whole 2000 plus miles. It will not be fun to kill yourself, go at a comfortable speed and enjoy your hike. I hike on a regular schedule and I plan on ten days just to enjoy the 100 miles when I do it again this summer. If you enjoy fishing and can bring a pack rod take 12 days. The trout fishing in the 100 mile wilderness is simply the best in the State and the fish are native, wild and not from a hatchery.:welcome to Maine, you'll love the place
I'm with Moxie. Dedicated humans can do most anything. But that doesn't mean they should. The 100 miles are the remotest section of the entire Appalachian Trail. There's a lot to see and experience. If you have the time, anything less than 10 days is a mistake in my opinion, especially if this is your first long hike of the season.

I figure on 8-9 mile days early in the hiking season to allow for conditioning. Beyond that, I could spend a summer in the 100 miles and not really see it all. One could spend a week exploring the Nahmakanta Preserve alone.

Gulf Hagas warrants a day at least. We spent many weeks on White Blaze a year or so ago debating AMC plans for the 37,000 acres they have purchased in the Wilderness. When you get to the northern end of Gulf Hagas you can see for yourself. Keep going another few miles and visit AMC's Little Lyford POnd Camps and the dozen miles or so of surrounding trails AMC has built.

Weary

Askus3
12-05-2005, 02:54
I have dayhiked the Hundred Mile Wilderness except for one night out at Cloud Pond. I also went southbound. I agree with all the others that I would allow 7-8 days and the Gulf Hagas is an area you should experience. Anyway, my trip reports covering Katahdin south to Monson are in my member trip report sub-forum. (ME AT I, II & III). There is alot of useful information there even though it is southbound. Also, links to my photo albums covering the trail in that area. LINK to ME AT II. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9423) Happy reading and viewing.

Tim Rich
12-05-2005, 08:36
So that's why I couldn't find the sign when I entered on Sept. 7

I wasn't there in late July when I did the 100 Mile either.

Cookerhiker
12-05-2005, 10:28
FFTorched, you said your hike was beginning in late summer. I began my traverse of the 100 mile wilderness this past September 7. My trail journal:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117001

FFTorched
12-05-2005, 10:36
Thank You for all the advice there is a lot to consider with this hike. I also have to find out before I make a full commitement what I'm doing with work and where I am finacially. Thanks again for all your help.

weary
12-05-2005, 10:47
I have dayhiked the Hundred Mile Wilderness except for one night out at Cloud Pond. I also went southbound. I agree with all the others that I would allow 7-8 days and the Gulf Hagas is an area you should experience. Anyway, my trip reports covering Katahdin south to Monson are in my member trip report sub-forum. (ME AT I, II & III). There is alot of useful information there even though it is southbound. Also, links to my photo albums covering the trail in that area. LINK to ME AT II. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9423) Happy reading and viewing.
Day hiking certainly is possible, even in the 100-miles, which incidentally is not really wilderness, but until the paper companies sold all their holdings mostly to developers, simply a managed, commercial forest.

A few small portions continue to be managed exclusively for growing trees by private family groups. And the Nature Conservancy now manages the land between Baxter Park and the Nahmakanta Preserve as semi-wilderness. And, of course, AMC has purchased a large block surrounding a dozen or so miles of the AT corridor for a combination of development and preservation.

But otherwise the 100 miles is mostly devoted to raising profits, rather than trees, though some of the speculators are required to continue to provide raw materials (trees) to a declining paper industry for awhile longer.

It's these changes that prompted the creation of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Sorry for the digression. I meant to say that except for the Barren-Chairback Range it certainly is possible to day hike the "wilderness," though the pickup person has to drive many miles over confusing gravel logging roads. Whether this will be possible in the future depends on how many roads TNC decides to close in its new holdings south of Baxter.

Weary www.matlt.org

walkin' wally
12-05-2005, 13:08
One other piece of advice IŽd give is to budget more time from Long Pond Lean-to (I think this is what its called, 15 miles north of Monson) until you drop down to the river crossing near Gulf Hagas. The stretch over Barren-Chairback range, even in good hiking shape was a butt kicker and took way longer than I thought. With bad weather this section could be a real pain. Just keep that in mind. Once you get over Whitecap the terrain is very agreeable

I agree about the Barren Chairback range. I thought there were a tremendous amount of small ups and downs there. No big gain and loss of elevation at once, but for me it was like being on the teeth of a saw... up down, up down.
What made it even more fun was traversing it in the rain.

There are some really nice views on top of Barren Mt. and Chairback Mt. Some pics are posted here at WB

I think it is a nice cruise after Whitecap too

V8
12-05-2005, 13:27
Don't forget to build in the "friend" allowance - you might be in in great condition to zoom along, but someone else can have problems. Strength, cardio condition, feet, food, weather, knees - all variables that multiply with the number of people in the party.
Plan for taking longer, then if you are ahead of the plan, you can always give food to hungry thru hikers...

weary
12-05-2005, 13:48
I...There are some really nice views on top of Barren Mt. and Chairback Mt.
And in the dips, some fascinating high elevation bog plants.

walkin' wally
12-05-2005, 18:12
And in the dips, some fascinating high elevation bog plants.

Yes, Fourth Mountain Bog, for instance, is very interesting. I thought the bog bridging would never end. I think that is one of the most unique places on the trail in Maine. A high elevation bog with pitcher plants etc. and other interesting things. This is a great section.

Shutterbug
12-05-2005, 21:24
FFTorched, you said your hike was beginning in late summer. I began my traverse of the 100 mile wilderness this past September 7. My trail journal:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117001

Coolhiker

I enjoyed your journal. I don't know how I missed meeting you. I was sobo and probably passed you somewhere around the Rainbow Ledges. I met Vapor, who summited the same time you did, on the ledges. Here is a link to my picture of Vapor:

http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html#082

Cookerhiker
12-05-2005, 21:51
Coolhiker

I enjoyed your journal. I don't know how I missed meeting you. I was sobo and probably passed you somewhere around the Rainbow Ledges. I met Vapor, who summited the same time you did, on the ledges. Here is a link to my picture of Vapor:

http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html#082

Hey Shutterbug, thanks. Your pics were phenomenal. I recognized Vapor - one of my favorite people I met on that month-long hike.

Don't know when we would have passed each other. But if you met Vapor at the Ledges, he was a day ahead of me so you and I wouldn't have met there. I summitted with him because I leapfrogged to Katahdin from Abol Bridge because of the weather forecast.

So we may have shared Rainbow Stream shelter - I arrived in near darkness and didn' t meet all the other campers. Cycle Hiker was there along with 4 Brits. Or maybe I missed you if you didn't go to WhiteHouse Landing.