PDA

View Full Version : Harpers ferry train

paule
10-19-2015, 10:42
I have noticed a weight and size limitation for baggage on amtrak,although I am well under weight, my size is over limit.I know people must bring backpacks on the train,how is it done? Am I missing something here?thank you

capehiker
10-19-2015, 11:00
I travel Amtrak frequently. The only times bag size is an issue is when the train is a notoriously filled train time (ex: NYC to Boston in the mid-afternoon) and when it's a full train. Even then, your pack will be fine as it will fit in the overhead. It's the d-bags who board with the ginormous suitcases and hockey style duffle bags who they go after.

Casey & Gina
10-19-2015, 11:14
I used to take Amtrak very frequently on the west coast - never once thought about weight or baggage size - I took a huge backpack every time without any issue.

Dogwood
10-19-2015, 12:18
Added to what has been said already, I too take Amtrak often. It's better traveling than Greyhound. I've taken the HF Amtrak Capitol Limited Route that serves HF a few times between Chicago and Washington DC. Backpacks are not a huge issue especially so if you have downsized as backpackers must. I have small volume UL kits 90% of the time when I travel so can put into overheads on trains, buses, planes, etc or have on an open seat or under a seat or between my legs comfortably on the floor. Twice on the Capitol Limited I've noticed small baggage areas for larger backpacks.

Dogwood
10-19-2015, 12:23
I do much traveling. It's painfully obvious transportation companies are taking steps to reduce or CHARGE ADDITIONAL FEES, SOMETIMES STEEP FEES, for the amount of "stuff" people, ESPECIALLY U.S. CITIZENS, haul with them. It's time to lighten up and untether yourself from all the attachments to "stuff." It's part of regular timely successful LD backpacking anyhow.

paule
10-19-2015, 18:31
Thank you all for your input,it is much appreciated.

joshuasdad
10-19-2015, 22:05
If you are really worried about size, you can always take some stuff out and put it in a pack liner (e.g., trash compactor bag) or large dry bag and carry it separately.

paule
10-20-2015, 02:03
If you are really worried about size, you can always take some stuff out and put it in a pack liner (e.g., trash compactor bag) or large dry bag and carry it separately.....I have my trash bag liner anyway,if it came down to that that would be a good idea,,,thank you

ddanko2
10-20-2015, 08:02
I have noticed a weight and size limitation for baggage on amtrak,although I am well under weight, my size is over limit.I know people must bring backpacks on the train,how is it done? Am I missing something here?thank you

Maryland commuter rail also services Harpers Ferry, albeit in the early morning only. It seems like you won't have any issues bringing your backpack onto an Amtrak train, but you'll also have no issues taking it onto a MARC train.