PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for: a REALLY Wide UL sleeping pad of R 6 or higher

Lnj
10-19-2015, 14:04
Is there any such thing at all? I have been all over Amazon and Ebay and REI and such. I am a heavy woman and need a big wide pad with enough thickness and support to keep my hips off the ground and with a high enough R rate to make my synthetic 0 degree bag be a true 0 degree bag. Ultralite is also important, as I already have about a 25 pound pack.

I currently have a Klymit Insulated V that is rated R4.4. Not sure that will do the trick on Halloween weekend at Grandfather Mountain.

Can anyone recommend?

Just Bill
10-19-2015, 14:19
Ultralight... you won't get much wider than the "wide" pads from Exped, Thermarest, or big agnes. (25")
They all top 1lb to clear an R value warm enough too.

Exped Downmat- large wide- 1.5lbs and R 7
Big Agnes- regular wide- 1lb 14 oz and R-5
Neo-Air Xtherm- large- 1lb 4 oz and R-6

My vote (and others) is neo-air...

Another possibility if the hips specifically are your issue...

Try cutting a square of 3/8" closed cell foam- or adding a 3/4 sided one- to your existing pad.
The hunk of foam can help distribute the point load of your hip and help spread the weight so you don't bottom out.
It's the cheap solution too... none of those are cheap pads and an extra r 1.5 might be enough- many folks add a foam pad to their 3 season pad for the odd winter trip... some prefer it actually. But that and your existing pad will take you to R6 which is 7 CLO and close enough to zero degrees for $20.

http://www.rei.com/product/848717/blue-foam-pad-regular

4eyedbuzzard
10-19-2015, 14:28
Exped makes its downmat and synmat pads that will definitely meet the insulation requirements, and they are comfortable. But they are expensive and heavier thab the Klymit. A Synmat winterlight MW or Downmat winterlight MW would probably fill the bill for a wide and warm pad. Cold weather hiking/camping simply requires some heavier gear.

Odd Man Out
10-19-2015, 14:42
Is there any such thing at all? I have been all over Amazon and Ebay and REI and such. I am a heavy woman and need a big wide pad with enough thickness and support to keep my hips off the ground and with a high enough R rate to make my synthetic 0 degree bag be a true 0 degree bag. Ultralite is also important, as I already have about a 25 pound pack.

I currently have a Klymit Insulated V that is rated R4.4. Not sure that will do the trick on Halloween weekend at Grandfather Mountain.

Can anyone recommend?

I have similar problems - side sleeper, weight on hips - except I'm a male instead of a female. I too have a Klymit Static V (but not insulated). On my last overnight hike I had problems with too much weight on the hips and had a long sleepless night. The stupid part was I had a thin CCF pad in my pack and never thought to lay it out on top of the pad as Bill suggested (ug). I too will keep shopping until I find just the right pad. Don't want it too heavy, but if I can't sleep, being ultra light serves no purpose.

saltysack
10-19-2015, 16:05
Just ordered an xtherm (L) for winter...love my z lite and x lite but wanted something warmer. I usually do a few winter trips each year......thermarest has great customer support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
10-19-2015, 19:00
I am a big fan of mixed inflatable and closed cell foam pads. I use an short piece of ccf foam pad as a sit pad or table during the day and as either added padding under my knees or hips or feet along with my xlite at night. I also do lots of winter hiking and skiing. In winter, I use a full length z-rest ccf pad on top of my short NeoAir XLite. I find winter weight inflatables a bit of a puzzle, because, I will not trust my life to an inflatable that might get a hole in it while I'm days away from a trailhead, and my z-rest on top of my xlite is enough insulation for me in the winter.

The Solemates
10-20-2015, 09:40
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Intex-Recreation-Twin-Classic-Downy-Air-Bed&i=403459&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343033343539&gclid=CIqf2r2W0cgCFYSRHwoduyIHQA

RangerZ
10-20-2015, 11:59
I scored a roll of reflectix at a recycling center for like $2. I used it last winter on top of my therm-a-rest z lite sol. It wasn't too cold, only around freezing, and only a weekend, but I thought it was warmer than without.

Casey & Gina
10-20-2015, 12:44
Here's what I'll be carrying:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Tuo%2025L

Not the lightest pad but redundant as it has two separate inflatable layers, very comfortable (I find open cell foam pads the best in terms of comfort), and extremely warm (Nemo does not publish R-values because there is no standard for this and every manufacturer measures them their own way, but it is rated down to -25˚ which is what Exped would call R-7.0), while being reasonably compact for packing (12.5" x 7" diameter roll).

The separate layers allow you to really fill up the bottom layer firm so you never touch the ground, while letting a little air out of the top layer if you like a less firm sleeping surface.

The Exped Downmat XP 9 LW (R-8.0) or Downmat TT 9 LW (R-7.0) are other good options, a bit lighter - the XP is 41oz and the TT is 49oz. The TT is somewhat more reliable as it has separate inflated sleeves in each baffle so you can stand a puncture or two and get by until you are able to repair it or replace the individual sleeve, but this does not solve the problem that is all-too-common in Expeds - baffle seam failure. Ever since I saw a Synmat with this failure at my local REI I have been wary of Exped, though in theory the Downmat can be a great pad.

Personally, I would not want to rely on an inflatable pad alone without a redundant pad underneath of it. Carrying a closed cell pad for this purpose incurs a lot of bulk, and somewhat negates the low weight benefit of inflatable pads. Personally I find inflatable pads uncomfortable and too bouncy feeling (though the Big Agnes Q-Core is the best I've tried). The Nemo Tuo is 60oz but I am comfortable carrying it as the only pad.

If you are interested in a 25"x77" rectangular insulated (R-5.0) pad which is the most comfortable of the inflatable variety I have tried, I have a couple Q-Core pads for sale (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/114653-Big-Agnes-Q-Core-25x78-quot-x4-quot-large-rectangular-insulated-sleeping-pads). They are only 36oz each, but as an inflatable mat, have no redundancy if they get a puncture on the trail.

Sarcasm the elf
10-20-2015, 13:06
I just want to emphasize the point that others have made; I would be very hesitant to only carry a single UL pad with me on a trip where temps were approaching zero. Inflatable pads DO fail on occasion, it's happened to me a few times over the years including on a subzero trip. If this happens to you in real cold it will be quite uncomfortable at best and can very well be dangerous. Personally, my thermarest z-rest (z-lite?) foam pad comes with me on all winter trips in addition to my inflatable pad, it's well worth the extra weight and as a bonus it gives me something insulated to sit on any time I take a break.

PAFranklin
10-21-2015, 11:00
I just want to emphasize the point that others have made; I would be very hesitant to only carry a single UL pad with me on a trip where temps were approaching zero. Inflatable pads DO fail on occasion, it's happened to me a few times over the years including on a subzero trip. If this happens to you in real cold it will be quite uncomfortable at best and can very well be dangerous. Personally, my thermarest z-rest (z-lite?) foam pad comes with me on all winter trips in addition to my inflatable pad, it's well worth the extra weight and as a bonus it gives me something insulated to sit on any time I take a break.

And repair is generally not successful at low temps. Don't ask how I know.

Lnj
10-21-2015, 11:25
I went with a Thermarest Ridgerest Solite pad to go under the Klymit V insulated pad. You think that will be sufficient with my 0 degree Mountain Hardware Bozeman Torch synthetic bag for Halloween weekend at Grandfather Mountain?

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2015, 11:37
I went with a Thermarest Ridgerest Solite pad to go under the Klymit V insulated pad. You think that will be sufficient with my 0 degree Mountain Hardware Bozeman Torch synthetic bag for Halloween weekend at Grandfather Mountain?Yeah, you should be fine. I've used an old Ridgerest under a Neoair in NH in some pretty cold conditions and stayed warm. Agree with others on the upside of having a closed cell in case the inflatable fails.

Lnj
10-21-2015, 11:39
Thanks for the input everyone! I feel pretty secure with this set up so far. This is a first out shakedown trip of just a couple of days, so I will report back any failings I experience for any other newbys looking for advice.

Venchka
10-21-2015, 12:23
I went with a Thermarest Ridgerest Solite pad to go under the Klymit V insulated pad. You think that will be sufficient with my 0 degree Mountain Hardware Bozeman Torch synthetic bag for Halloween weekend at Grandfather Mountain?

You read my mind. I found that Ridgerest yesterday and got busy at work and didn't have time to say anything. Well done!
Standing by for the full trip report. I hope to take my grandson to Grandfather Mountain at the end of school next May.

Wayne

Lnj
10-21-2015, 13:07
You read my mind. I found that Ridgerest yesterday and got busy at work and didn't have time to say anything. Well done!
Standing by for the full trip report. I hope to take my grandson to Grandfather Mountain at the end of school next May.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne!