PDA

View Full Version : Using Bear Canisters

ocasey3
10-19-2015, 19:55
To those that use bear canisters, do you ever just keep your food in your pack and attach the empty canister to the top of it and then put the food in it when you are done for the day?

CarlZ993
10-19-2015, 20:00
For me, the current day's food remains outside the canister. The rest of the food is in the canister. I keep my canister inside my pack. I haven't had much luck in securing it to the outside of my pack (I own 3 different brands).

Sandy of PA
10-19-2015, 21:52
The food is only safe IN the canister. I take my food for the day out in the morning and put it in my belt pouch that goes with me always. The can goes in the pack as close to the small of my back as I can get it for good weight balance. Food is often more than half my total pack weight.

Deadeye
10-20-2015, 11:22
... I take my food for the day out in the morning and put it in my belt pouch that goes with me always. The can goes in the pack as close to the small of my back as I can get it for good weight balance. Food is often more than half my total pack weight.

pretty much the same here.

Stubby
10-20-2015, 13:05
I strap it to the back of my backpack with big bungee cords. Keep all my food in it. When I want a snack, I take off my pack, then screw of the lid. Leave the canister attached to the backpack.

Works only "ok", I sometime manage to bump the canister off the pack, and the weight distribution isn't good. But my UL backpack isn't quite big enough for it to go inside.

Berserker
10-27-2015, 12:52
When I use my canister I usually put a couple of snacks in my hip belt pocket for easy access, and leave the rest of the food in the canister. My pack is designed to carry the canister on the inside of the pack at the top laid horizontally. So if I want something out of the canister, I just whip it out real quick during a break.

MuddyWaters
10-27-2015, 13:01
To those that use bear canisters, do you ever just keep your food in your pack and attach the empty canister to the top of it and then put the food in it when you are done for the day?

No, that would be ....something done by someone who was trying to use a pack too small to carry the cannister.

slbirdnerd
10-27-2015, 13:10
If you do that, make sure you're mindful of food smells getting on your pack or other stuff, or, food smells getting on whatever you might store in your bear can while the food isn't in there. If you're not in a bear can required area, look at alternatives like Ursack and/or Opsack products.

poolskaterx
11-19-2015, 00:15
I take a few snacks out for the start of the day and stick em in my pocket, but ALWAYS keep my extra food sealed up in the bearbox. I have a frontloader pack and it is pretty easy to access my box if I need any extras during the day. Nothing worse than walking back to your food pile to see a marmot scampering off with your snickers bar!

Brup Bup
01-13-2016, 02:59
Away a in the box except for snacks. Also, I will put my trash in there too in a separate grocery bag.

Vegan Packer
01-14-2016, 01:02
I keep my canister on the outside of the pack, placed horizontally across the top. Even so, I keep snacks in belt pockets. I eat them while walking. If I am going to stop for lunch, then I go into the canister.